Medela Freestyle

Great for busy moms

Purchased in April 2019.

Joe

JoeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great product mega expensive to maintain

We bought a freestyle breat pump from babybunting about 1.5years ago. It is a great pump however, now shows a battery sign on screen. Called medela said buy a battery for 150$ read online pump failure faults same symbol so now to repair or swap mega $$$. Not happy so far is very hard to make a decision on what to do. Only works plugged into the power outlet. Now I am considering buying the Spectra since all I hear is good stuff and cheaper price. Hopefully medela costumer care will help me change my mind.

Pauline T.Medela
azura

azuraDarling Downs, QLD

I’d hire a hospital grade

Electric Breast Pumps

Find out how Medela Freestyle compares to other Electric Breast Pumps

JessAxMelbourne

2 pumps at once

Comfortable and easy to use, use it for 29 minutes at a time. Liked that there are 2 pumps which made the process quicker however didn’t like the suction, the medela kit they had at the hospital was much better. Easy to clean was a plus in the middle of the night

JessAx

No I meant the machine itself was a stronger one I felt it pumped better.

lc9067

lc9067Sydney

Not for me

i got this because it was given to me. i felt that the suction wasnt very strong and i didnt get a lot of milk from using this pump. also there were too many parts to wash and put back together. replacement parts were expensive too. ive tried other brands that are less expensive and works better.

Alex

AlexSydney

Suction

I purchased at Baby Kingdom (it costs more than $400). I use it 5-6 times a day. It works perfectly well for the first 3 months - Super convenient, very quite and easy to clean! However, after I replaced the pump parts (bought from Chemist warehouse), the suction became weak and it got worse everyday. I've checked all the tubing, connectors and the battery - all looking good but still not working properly. I have used it for 5 months - I can now hand express more milk than the pump. Very disappointed!

Szzzz

Szzzz

It doesnt work for me ( small boob)

I know a lots of friends that uses it and love it but it just doesnt work for me ! Would it be because of my chest size ? I use a asian brand breast pump which cost only 50 aud and it works amazingly well ! This one just cost too much!

Medela A.Medela

Thank you for taking time to review our freestyle breastpump. We will contact you via private message. Best wishes, customer service.

Sam

Sam

Efficient but fiddly to use

It's comfortable but fiddly to assemble and wash. The milk goes into the tubing and needs to be washed periodically. Quite often need to reassemble as it has no auction. Frustrating especially as you leak all over everything while reassembling. For an expensive product that's disappointing. On the plus side, can empty both breasts within 10-15 min of pumping and it has a reachargable battery and is light to carry. . But the assembly and washing up takes time. I would try Spectra S1.

Medela A.Medela

Thank you for posting your review we will send you a private message to discuss some points you have mentioned.

Did the job initially, not pumping so well after a year

Comfortable to use, has multiple settings and backlight was helpful to see how long you'd been pumping for. I haven't used any other pumps so can't conpare. The parts are a bit hard to dry, and if not completely dry it doesn't suck onto the breast properly. Have used for a year on and off, used it a lot when baby first born due to supply issues. Have started using more again after a year and doesn't seem to pump as well. Not sure if it's the machine or my supply has just decreased. Can only pump maybe 40-50mls per breast which is pretty poor and I can still feel the breast is full and if I pop the baby on, they can get milk from the breast. Pumps will never be as good as the baby, but didn't think it should be this poor.

Electric Breast Pumps

Find out how Medela Freestyle compares to other Electric Breast Pumps

Good pump but very expensive

I have enjoyed using the freestyle pump but think that it really is over priced. I like that you have the option of different sized cup attachments and there are many different suction speeds and strengths however I still find that it is a little weak even at full power.

Hg61

Hg61AU

Keep your receipt

I found the breast pump worked well in regards expressing a lot of milk in minimal time but it is noisy and burnt out in 3 months and now is unusable. They did offer for me to send it back to look at and I may have received a replacement but due to moving I lost the receipt. I understand that not many companies would do anything without a receipt but saying that I would expect an expensive top of the range product to last longer than 3 months.
Good milk supply in short amount of time
Broke in 3 months, noisy an expensive

LDB

LDBHamilton

Hands Free Option Misleading

For a $400+ pump I am disappointed that the “hands free” doesn’t really work – the suction is not great enough (without your hands holding it to your breast) to be able to be “hands free” – very disappointing for such an expensive product. If the “hands free” is not certain to work it should not be sold/labelled as such.

The pump itself seems great however after 3 weeks ours died – wouldn’t even work plugged in? Medela replaced it (under the 1 yr warranty) but I am now skeptical of how long this expensive product will actually last.
Easy to use
Must hold it to apply pressure for suction - hands free not possible

Nails gal

Nails galAuckland

Still not sure

Helen

Helenasked

My pump auto shut off in like 5 mins for few time already what should I do now

Hi Helen
We will probably need a little bit more information. Please call our customer service team on 1800 787 345 and we will be more than happy to assist.
Kind regards
Pauline

Chris

Chrisasked

Can this be used as one pump at a time or does both have to be used together?

Keira
Keira

Yes, I think so. Use plastic wrap between shield and breastshield connector. Then you can transfer Freestyle to a single pump

Mandy Y
Mandy Y

Yes, it can be used either one pump or two pumps.

Medela A.Medela

Hi Chris, yes the Freestyle can easily be converted from a double to a single pump and back again simply by unplugging the tubing from one of the pump connectors and plugging it into the square shaped adaptor in the centre of the tubing. This needs to be done to regulate the vacuum otherwise it will be lost out of the side not being used. Thank you Medela Australia.

Nat

Natasked

Are these fixable / good for a service once out of the warranty period?

Medela A.Medela

Hi Nat, generally we do not fix pumps however should the need arise please contact our customer service team to discuss the options available and we will do the best we can to help you. Thanks Medela Australia

Get an answer from our members and Medela representatives

CategoryElectric Breast Pumps