Medela Swing Maxi

Medela Swing Maxi (page 2 of 8)

3.5

• Portability
  • Suction
  • Comfort
  • Feeding Methods
JDP

JDP

Fantastic

Much quieter than others. Very simple to use, compact and easy to clean. I replaced the tubes between babies because I used it so much. I'd get this one again.

Purchased in June 2016.

Noise Level
Portability
Suction
Comfort
Usage Frequency Long-term
Milk Expressing FrequencyFrequently (more than once a day)
Feeding Methods Breastfeeding

Hi JDP
Thank you for your review of the Medela Swing Maxi. Medela also offers a fantastic warranty of two years on all electric pumps.
Kind regards

MariaB

MariaBSydney, NSW

Easy to use

The meddle swing maxi breast pump works excellent. It is comparable to the ones that I used at the hospital. Very convenient that allows double pump. The fact that has different levels and a pre-massage option makes it very flexible. It is small so to carry and store. The fact that can be used everywhere batteries is a plus (specially at work). I recommend it!

Maki

MakiMelbourne

It's ok

I spent quite a bit of money on this double pump from Medela. It was a terrible experience. I bought it after borrowing the hospitals pumps, which were good and also Medela. But this one was terrible and frustrating. It had no pressure to pump out the milk and after returning it to Baby Bunting to get my money back the store didn't want to because apparently the pump is working perfectly. So I contacted Medela and they said to contact the store for a refund. But the store didn't want to do it. So I'm left with a useless pump.
Only thing good would be for someone taking it to work cause it's light, other then that, it was useless to me.

Nicole W

Nicole W

Wouldn’t recommend the double, the single would’ve been fine!

At the beginning, the pump was great. However I’ve never used the double feature. Now that my baby is 6 month + and I’ve returned to work, I feel as though it’s just not strong enough to get the hindmilk. I could be wrong however (new mum) as I feel as though my milk production isn’t great, so I use the pump to help stimulate & pump when I’m at work to keep my supply up. I would’nt recommend the double pump, stick with the single. In the time I’ve had this, i’ve never used the double feature. You’ll find the suction is weaker if using both. I’ve taped the other end and I’m using it as a single. This way I have a hand free to eat or entertain myself whilst pumping. Other then that, it’s been fine getting the milk out.

Loses suction immediately

This pump is so useless - and what’s worse - you have to pay to replace faulty parts! I purchased from baby bunting and for about a week when my supply was at its peak it worked fine. After 3 weeks the suction wasn’t working - I took it in and had to buy new valves / piping for $30! I had sone absolute nothing and always stored and cleaned the pump well. This has happened a second time 3 weeks later - right when I’m trying to increase supply again as about to need to store milk. So inconvenient and unfair. Absolutely useless pump - save your money and buy the spectra breast pump - it actually works!!

Katty

KattyBrisbane

Very Upsetting

I used this pump twice per day as i used the hospitals during the day. In two weeks it had very poor suction, i ended up with cracked nipples, extreme engorgement each morning from poor pumping at night and was beside myself with pain and stress over feeding my preterm twins. Don't bother paying for this pump, hire a decent one. If like me you are in the middle of NICU hell please don't make the problem worse by persisting with a pump that barely works in an attempt to feed your child.

It has been good and then started to play up

Hi, my sister got the pump for me as a gift. It was working fine and suction was great. Used it for three days and then on the fourth day, which is today only one side works. The other pump fails to express anything. So heart broken. Really need to fix it. It's stressing me out. She got it from chemist warehouse. So I'm not sure if I can recommend it unless it starts working.

Hi Yashoda
I am very sorry you have had this experience. Please take you pump back to Chemist Warehouse with your receipt. They will be able to test it for you and replace the pump or parts if faulty.
Kind regards

Preet

PreetMelbourne

Only one pump worked

I have used symphony pump in hospital n then rented the same at home to pump for my twin girls. Then bought maxi swing from chemist warehouse. But it’s only one pump worked n other didn’t have any suction.
I went to chemist warehouse to get it change and they said no !!!! Said -They can’t change it because they have 7 days policy. With twin girls it was really hard to go out within 7 days (if I knew before about the time period) And I thought the exchange policy for most of the products is 21-30 days.
And from my knowledge, electric product has 12 months warranty.
I don’t know what to do next.
I m totally off.

Melbourne

MelbourneMelbourne

Will be returning it to store tomorrow, useless

Thechamp

ThechampSydney

Great breastpump

I started with a medela swing (single pump) and when I needed to do more pumping moved to a hospital grade pump which I found too strong and painful. Eventually ended up with the medela swing maxi (double pump) and I have to say it was a great purchase. Easy to use, found it less painful or uncomfortable than other pumps I’ve tried. Only issue is it is very loud when operating. I was using this to pump everyday for 6 months and had no issues.

Sonya B

Sonya BAU

Breast feeding has been a breeze this time round

Sarah G

Sarah GDarley

Great as a single - don’t bother trying to use as a double!

Liv

LivVictoria

Quick and easy

Expensive but worth it. In the beginning when my milk came in I was able to pump over 200ml in 10mins using the double pump. I used it 6-8 times a day. Comfortable to use and the ability to adjust the speed and let down is great. Very easy to take apart and clean and way easier than a hand pump if you’re predominantly pumping and feeding.

Mel

Mel

Very usefull. No pain while pumping. Easy to use. Settings are good.

I have used other pumps before but this one is perfect for my use. Its easy to use. Can use one at a time or both if required deoending in why im pumping.. to store or relieve. It is effective, no pain, easy to assemble and detach for washing parts. My use is just around once a week or so at the moment. But just 10 minutes of pumping on double 30 to 60 mins after a feed gives me approx 120 ml each time which i think is pretty good.

Medela A.Medela

Hi Mel, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on the Medela Swing maxi. We always appreciate customers feedback. If we can be of any further assistance please call us on our freephone number 1800 787 345. Many thanks Medela Australia

a79

a79Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

This is great

Very efficient way to get lots of milk for baby easily.

This is a great pump and very portable.

I only gave it 4 stars not 5 because:
1/ it is so difficult to use the pump on both sides at once (although that's probably true for most unless you buy a special bra to wear
2/ there was no bag that came with it to keep it all together and there weren't any I could purchase separately

I probably would not recommend the double (unless you have to express lots and need the efficiency) due to the above, just get the single swing maxi instead

Shelley F

Shelley FGold Coast

Easy to use double breast pump

I bought this medela pump after using a medela pump in hospital, I found it reliable and simple to use. There are some fiddly parts to put together and take apart to clean but this is the case with all breast pumps really. To use it in double mode you really need a singlet/bra to hold it in place otherwise your hands aren’t free to operate the machine! (Medela do sell these however I found cutting two holes in a cheap tight fitting singlet worked a treat and was so much cheaper!). It did the job, was as comfortable as I think a breast pump can really be but it was quite noisy. Would so much rather an electric pump than a manual one though.

LPantz

LPantzAdelaide

Double pump is great but assembling after sterilising can cause issues.

time saver!

i wish i had this from the start. what took me 1hr with another pump takes me 15mins with this pump. it is such a time saver and we all know how every second counts with a new born. it is easy to put together and clean after

Its ok..

I was so impressed with symphony pump that i used in the hospital, i thought surely the swing double would have the same power, it didnt. As a double, the suction is weak. Great as a single as you can put the tube in the centre connection fpr a stronger suction.

Codee.S

Codee.SMaryborough

Absolutely Love it!

I used a medela hospital grade pump at the hospital while my twins were premmies, it was awesome! But I thought I would purchase the closer to nature electric breast pump since thats what all my bottles/steralisers were. After going through my second closure to nature electric breast pump I finally gave in and decided to purchase the medela swing maxi! I am never going back, Its time saving, more powerful and quiet, it is just plain awesome! Im not sitting there for an hour and a half (time which I dont have) but now 15-20 mins and my milk seems to be producing more (was having supply issues) Thank you medela

Amelia

Ameliaasked

Why do I get less supply when I double pump than if I single pump? It’s incredibly frustrating as it’s much more time consuming having to single pump

You should be getting more supply, sounds like their might be an issue with the pump. I had one of these pumps and the connectors were not working properly due to a fault which I believe is due to the design of the connectors, I took the pump back to where I bought it from and they gave me a new connector part but the pump still did not suction properly. I found after washing the connectors a few times (as per the instructions in the manual) that they didn't fit back together well and this affected the suction. I returned the pump back to where I bought it and they contacted Medela and I eventually got my money back. Hope this helps, also if you want a good double pump I recommend hiring a hospital grade Medela Symphony pump as they work really well and have great suction.

Samia
Samia

Same here sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t I am fed up with this baby bunting people changed the motor and told to buy a new tube still facing problems with it. I am on baby formula now as my baby has forgotten to latch. I wish I could get a refund or credit towards a good pump

Adel w
Adel w

I find opening and clipping the valve /cap back make some difference between suction. Also the way it fits on boobs. (make sure u have the right size)
You can bring pump to maternal child health nurse, sometimes they can help with breastfeeding trouble shooting.

Good luck!

Reneilwe K.

Reneilwe K.asked

Good morning, I am using the medela swing, it seems to be making a sound but no suction coming through, does it mean it's broken?Johannesburg

Hi Reneilwe

Without further information, it is difficult to determine what the problem may be. If you are in Johannesburg, I would recommend contacting the Medela on (0027) 11 788 9102 or going to the link below to find out how to contact them via email as you have contacted the Australian website.

Warmest wishes

Emilly B.

Emilly B.asked

I bought the swing maxi, have used it once and it has completely lost suction. The parts don’t seem to be sitting flush together which is I think why the suction has gone. I’ve tried so many ways to reassemble but can’t make it work.

Helen P
Helen P

I’m not sure how to help... I’m assuming you’ve checked the instructions? I still only single pump with the double it’s so frustrating

Get an answer from our members and Medela representatives