Medela Swing

• Portability
  • Suction
  • Comfort

mendela breat pump swing

I only used for 6 months had it for 2 years and 3 months and the warranty was 2 years but they would not replace it after the motor had gone they should be ashamed to sell such a product that does not last

Ad

Milk keeps going into tube

I don’t know how many times I’ve had to clean out pipe because milk goes into it. So frustrating, so difficult to clean and so over it. After four months of being annoyed I have upgraded to Spectra and it’s amazing.

Purchased in January 2020.

UKatSydney, NSW

Terrible! Noisy and low suction

I am disappointed at how bad this pump is. The suction isn't that powerful and i have tried cleaning it as per medela youtube videos. All in vain. It is very noisy and has such a bad suction. Also the pump parts are so bad that i almost replaced all of them so far in expectation to have it working properly, I feel cheated!

Purchased at Pharmacy for $265 and i want to return it but the pharmacy says medela should take it back and Medela says the retailer should take it back.

Very disappointing! I hope it gets resolved by Medela that they take it back and refund me.

Purchased in January 2020 at Terry White Chemists for $265.00.

UKat

I have messaged personally now. Thanks

Hi Natasha,
I have recieved no help from customer service. Can u help in returning this product?

Tilly

TillyPerth, WA

Disappointed

For such a well advertised brand I am disappointed at how average this pump is. The suction isn't that powerful and it's very noisy. I'm glad I brought this second hand because id be devasted spending the money on it brand new. If I'd known earlier I was going to pump i would had have brought a Spectra pump!

Purchased at Gumtree for $75.00.

Jane L.

Jane L.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Works well but always dies

This is my second medela swing. The pump works well but the milk often travels up the plastic tubing into the unit- and you have to unplug it to clear it out. The but has died- will not punk anymore. I can’t return it as I bought it with my older child. I will not be buying another from all accounts for spectra is the one to go for.

Purchased in June 2017 at Baby Bunting for $299.00.

Ellie

ElliePerth, WA

Please do your research beforr buying

I wish I'd have done my research before buying this. 6 weeks in and I've have 2 membrane replacements and a pump replacement. I have been begging for a refund on this unreliable product but they keep sending me replacements. Having now researched this product I can see it is plagued in problems, with others unable to claim a refund despite the product being faulty. If this review saves one other person from buying this product, or atleast doing their research before purchasing, then it was worth it. Ive since purchased the Spectra breat pump which has stronger, reliable suction and is more comfortable.

Purchased in May 2019 at Chemist Warehouse for $324.99.

Kim

KimAdelaide, South Australia

Nothing but major trouble

We got recommended this brand Brest pump but after nearly 7 months it's stopped working and now caused me issues having to find a new one as over time it slowed down and now has stopped. The shop we bought it from had none left so had to go and buy some thing else from a different shop

Candice

CandicePANANIA

This doesn't work for me

For a sensitive person, this product doesn't work for me. I pump in there for 1.5 hours but only got 15ml and end up with getting matitis three times. They have different nipple shed size. Even though chose the smallest one it doesn't help. I would highly recommend Spectra, which it is much better

Ash

Ash

This pump has been a nightmare

AnniPerth

not satisfied

Really under-satisfied with this pump. Only worked averagely if that, for a month or two before the pump suction, was weak and it took forever to pump milk out. I couldn't even use it by the end of my breastfeeding days it was so frustrating. Especially for how expensive it is, this product should have worked way longer than the price tag.

Anni

Hi Pauline, thank you so much for responding. Unfortunately, after I read the Marie Kondo book, I got rid of all packaging and it was gifted to me at my babyshower so had no way of getting warranty, otherwise i would have. Warm wishes, Anni

Jebe

JebeBrisbane

For occasional use only

H.M

H.MSydney

Very noisy machine

I used a medela pumping machine at the hospital and therefore purchased the swing maxi machine for home. I'm very disappointed with how noisy this machine is. I didn't expect it at all as the hospital one was quite. I tried to put it on soft surfaces as the sofa and a pillow but it doesn't really solve the problem.

Very bad

We just purchased the medela swing double pump and was very disappointed. I used in for 16mins and did not get anything. The pump is very basic and doesn't work well. I'm there for days and days to fill a small bottle. The baby gets more milk out than the powered machine. Very bad waste of money.

Medela A.Medela

Don’t waste your money on a double!!

I purchased the medela swing double electric pump based on the reviews had good expectations. I spent over 1/2hr trying to double pump to have no results. It does work with reasonable results when using as a single pump only.
When we contacted medela customer support and spoke to a rude woman called [name removed], she told me she would arrange a refund, then changed to say it had to be tested and when asked what I was to do without a pump during that time she could not offer me anything.

Whatever you do, don’t waste your money buying the double! God help you if you need to contact customer support!

Don't waste your money!

Have been using thr medala swing for about 6 months. I would say the yield was very good and it was a comfortable system. However, then one day the milk backwashed into the tube and into the pump (seriously?!?).
Apparently this happens a lot and medala have cleaning instructions for this occurance (so it happens a lot!) I followed the cleaning instructions but it no longer gets proper suction and it's gone mouldy. I have thrown it in the bin after getting no response from medala. I'll be purchasing a closed pump system. Will not waste my money again. I wish I had read the reviews from other ladies who had experienced this as well!

Find out how Medela Swing compares to other Electric Breast Pumps

Less than a month old barely used doesn’t work

I purchased this to use every now and then when I’m planning to go out with my newborn twins. As I would much rather bottle feed them breast milk than formula.
It lost suction after about 6 uses . I tried to return it and found this quite difficult as Medela have made “rules” making it so the chemist’s don’t get reimbursed, unless they jump through hoops due to the large number of returns.
Very disappointed, I wish I just went with another brand

Ivy Joy

Ivy JoyMelbourne

Very bad design

Hidden amongst all the wonderful reviews for this brand are a few objective ones that point out a very simple but serious design fault. Basically breast milk ends up in the piping from the pump. A major bacterial concern!! This is exacerbated even more by trying to get a greater suction. I found some users managed to report this to Medela but were basically ignored. Be careful of reviewers here. Few are .objective. One wonders if they have even tried the product

Sarah m

Sarah mSydney

Dangerous

This pump is an open system pump meaning milk can flow back into the device. This makes it mouldy inside the device and but you cannot see the Mould. Couldn't risk pumping for my newborn with this pump. Threw it in the bin and Bought a spectra instead. Also customer service in models is useless. They just tell you that you didn't use the pump correctly.

Fraser

FraserSydney

Shocking Product and Terrible Customer Service

I've gone through three medela Swings - they have ALL gone moldy, lost suction and become extremely unreliable. The customer service team don't help (let alone follow basic consumer law).

Its an open system which means that milk and condensation can flow through the machine and motor - this causes mold to grow which creates loads of dangerous hygiene issues obviously.

Mumma, save yourself time and your sanity and buy a small Spectra! ❤️

Spectra are 3 x more efficient and the customer service team is amazing.

GIULIAMelbourne

Disappointed with well known product.

Hi Anne,
How should I contact you to discuss further? Not sure what can be done now considering lack of support when I first contacted Medela.

Anonymous

Anonymousasked

Hi Team, unknowingly I’ve bought swing flex when there’s a maxi flex , now it’s time consuming because I couldn’t use both breasts at a single time. Is there a way that I can replace a motor with an add on cost? As I’ve spent already 200$ do I need to spend another 270$ to get maxi flex?

Medela A.Medela

Hi there, we are sorry to hear this! Please contact your place of purchase or our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com and they will do everything they can to help you. Please note that once a pump has been used, we cannot exchange or replace a motor unless there is a fault with the machine that is covered under warranty.

Kindest Regards,

neha M.asked

Hi team,
I have medela swing flex single pump. Buy now i need to use it with double tube i.e. to start pumping from both at one time. Can u suggest if u can buy accessories for it? All parts i saw says compatible with only maxi flex? Can u suggest what shud i buy to get extra tube and extractor?

Medela A.Medela

Hi Neha, thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately our Swing Single breast pump is not able to be used as a double breast pump because the motor is not strong enough to express both breasts at the same time. It is designed as a single pump only. If you would like to double pump, you would need to purchase the Swing Maxi Flex or Freestyle Flex.
Kindest Regards,

Thanks Natasha... that helps

Medela A.Medela

No worries Neha. If you need further assistance, please contact our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com and they would be happy to help you.

Kind regards,

Meital

Meitalasked

Hi,
I just bought Medela Swing (single) and I don’t seem to understand something basic- I do know you can use it either with the plug-in or with the batteries but isn’t there a need to give it an initial charge (of 24 hours like it goes with the Freestyle I used to have, before it was unfortunately broken beyond repair)? Can I use it straight away after I bought it (plugged in) or should there be an initial charging time prior to first use?

Medela A.Medela

Hi Meital, thank you for reaching out! Because your Swing requires powering up with either batteries or mains power, you cannot 'charge' it as such, unlike the Freestyle which has a re-chargable battery. Your Swing pump is ready to use as soon as you receive it, either using batteries or plugged into mains power.

Hope this helps!

For further information, please contact our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com.

Kind regards,

Amy G.
Amy G.

Nope, she’s ready to go. Just plug into the mains power and get pumping :)

Get an answer from our members and Medela representatives

CategoryElectric Breast Pumps