Medela Swing

Medela Swing (page 2 of 7)

• Portability
  • Suction
  • Comfort
Jebe
JebeBrisbane

For occasional use only

Very bad

We just purchased the medela swing double pump and was very disappointed. I used in for 16mins and did not get anything. The pump is very basic and doesn't work well. I'm there for days and days to fill a small bottle. The baby gets more milk out than the powered machine. Very bad waste of money.

Medela A.Medela

Portable but takes ages to complete a pump session

I bought this pump for use with my first baby, then used it again with my second. I do remember thinking sometimes it would take forever to get all the milk out, like over 30 minutes. Still, it's very portable. My 3rd child was a 29 weeker so I've been exclusively pumping for a while, and this little pump just didn't cut it. Took too long (upwards of 45 minutes a session) and I was was always sore after. I've since gotten a Spectra s2 which is working better but is enormous and not very portable. I must say it could be that the medela just old and at the end of its life, but I did always find it took a long time when using this pump. I think the suck cycle was to short for me.

Icy
IcyAdelaide

It did the job

I used this pump to pump for a friends adopted baby. It was easy to use and worked well. Easy to clean too. I used it for pumping for 3 babies and helped when my breasts were over full.
I would recommend this breast pump to other mothers but as I’ve finished having babies, I’m done :)

jakegerman
jakegermanGosford NSW 2250

It’s OK

Every woman’s experience with pumping is different and perhaps I’m a bad “pumper” however I find it very difficult to extract milk and rarely get a letdown when I’m using the pump (whereas my child can achieve that in 20 seconds or so). if I were to buy one again I’d get a double pump to try and make this experience a quicker event.

Medela A.Medela

The best baby products in 2020!

Nathan S.29 Oct 2019
the-best-baby-products-in-2020
Laura Wells
Laura WellsMelbourne

It was average.

I breastfed both children but had an issue with this product as it broke after 2 months. It wouldn’t pump meaning the machine you attach the tube to didn’t have any suction. It was so expensive as well.

I would just recommend a hand pump. People think the more expensive something is the better it is but it’s not true! You can get great results with just a manual pump.

Barb
BarbLogan

An alright product

Very comfortable machine and easy to clean. However, it's not as strong as what I needed. Because my son was 4 weeks early and not able to breastfeed I was expressing all the time. after 6 weeks of constant expressing (every 2-3 hours, everyday) my milk starting dwindling. I struggle to get half of what I used to get and I have to squish my breasts to get milk out. Not good for long term use. i will definitely be using this again in future.

Jess.A
Jess.A

Good but not great

The medela swing is small and convenient however the flanges are very annoying. The flanges should come with an angle part so I don't have to keep sitting forward to allow the breast milk to drop into the bottle. Also should be able to purchase the flange sizes with the pump and not separate

Chris
ChrisSydney, NSW

I thought it was good till I bought a Spectra S2

I was pleased with the pump when I used it for my first child - but it took me 40 minutes to do a cycle (both breasts with a single pump). I thought that was ok until I had my second child and found my Medela Swing was not working - the batteries that I left in there had leaked. So I bought a second hand Spectra S2 pump instead for about the same price as this one, as I had heard good things about Korean made pumps. And I was not disappointed! The Spectra S2 is a double pump, was much more powerful, and able to complete a cycle in less than 10 minutes! Amazing, and never looking back!

Natella
NatellaPerth

Ok unit

Compact breast pump. Good that you have to option of batteries or mains plug in. Found that it really does take practice to get hang of the unit. Does t have the strongest suck compared to the hospital grade units. Met my needs as an occasional expresser. Would probably need a double unit if you needed to soley express.

Don't waste your money!

Have been using thr medala swing for about 6 months. I would say the yield was very good and it was a comfortable system. However, then one day the milk backwashed into the tube and into the pump (seriously?!?).
Apparently this happens a lot and medala have cleaning instructions for this occurance (so it happens a lot!) I followed the cleaning instructions but it no longer gets proper suction and it's gone mouldy. I have thrown it in the bin after getting no response from medala. I'll be purchasing a closed pump system. Will not waste my money again. I wish I had read the reviews from other ladies who had experienced this as well!

Sonny
SonnyAU

Would be better if it were a closed system

I used this pump for about half an hour at a time a few times a day. I like that it is very comfortable to use and good at extracting milk. It’s parts are also readily available in many shops as it is so popular.

Unfortunately the milk would often get backed up above the duck valve during a pumping session and would only flow through which you would move your breast out of the flange to break the suction. If you didn’t do this quick enough the milk would get sucked into the tubing and make its way back into the motor which is very unhygienic. I moved to a different pump for this reason.

Ivy Joy
Ivy JoyMelbourne

Very bad design

Hidden amongst all the wonderful reviews for this brand are a few objective ones that point out a very simple but serious design fault. Basically breast milk ends up in the piping from the pump. A major bacterial concern!! This is exacerbated even more by trying to get a greater suction. I found some users managed to report this to Medela but were basically ignored. Be careful of reviewers here. Few are .objective. One wonders if they have even tried the product

Sarah m
Sarah mSydney

Dangerous

This pump is an open system pump meaning milk can flow back into the device. This makes it mouldy inside the device and but you cannot see the Mould. Couldn't risk pumping for my newborn with this pump. Threw it in the bin and Bought a spectra instead. Also customer service in models is useless. They just tell you that you didn't use the pump correctly.

Fraser
FraserSydney

Shocking Product and Terrible Customer Service

I've gone through three medela Swings - they have ALL gone moldy, lost suction and become extremely unreliable. The customer service team don't help (let alone follow basic consumer law).

Its an open system which means that milk and condensation can flow through the machine and motor - this causes mold to grow which creates loads of dangerous hygiene issues obviously.

Mumma, save yourself time and your sanity and buy a small Spectra! ❤️

Spectra are 3 x more efficient and the customer service team is amazing.

Nancy
Nancyasked

Hi Medela team,
I have a swing flex single breast pump from 8 years ago when I got it for my first child. I am just wondering if the new edition accessories such as tubing and connector will fit my old motor? Plus do I need a valve and membranes as the replacement for it? Thanks!!

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for asking! We do have spare parts you can use, the best thing to do would be to either call our customer services team directly on +61 (0) 3 9552 8600 and they will be able to tell you exactly what you need or visit our store, medelastore.com.au and purchase directly what you need.

Medela Team

Anonymous
Anonymousasked

Hi Team, unknowingly I’ve bought swing flex when there’s a maxi flex , now it’s time consuming because I couldn’t use both breasts at a single time. Is there a way that I can replace a motor with an add on cost? As I’ve spent already 200$ do I need to spend another 270$ to get maxi flex?

Medela A.Medela

Hi there, we are sorry to hear this! Please contact your place of purchase or our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com and they will do everything they can to help you. Please note that once a pump has been used, we cannot exchange or replace a motor unless there is a fault with the machine that is covered under warranty.

Kindest Regards,

neha M.asked

Hi team,
I have medela swing flex single pump. Buy now i need to use it with double tube i.e. to start pumping from both at one time. Can u suggest if u can buy accessories for it? All parts i saw says compatible with only maxi flex? Can u suggest what shud i buy to get extra tube and extractor?

Medela A.Medela

Hi Neha, thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately our Swing Single breast pump is not able to be used as a double breast pump because the motor is not strong enough to express both breasts at the same time. It is designed as a single pump only. If you would like to double pump, you would need to purchase the Swing Maxi Flex or Freestyle Flex.
Kindest Regards,

Thanks Natasha... that helps

Medela A.Medela

No worries Neha. If you need further assistance, please contact our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com and they would be happy to help you.

Kind regards,
Natasha

Get an answer from our members and Medela representatives

CategoryElectric Breast Pumps