Medela Swing

• Comfort
Janey N.

Janey N.

Research alternatives

I find this pump mostly unreliable. Most times Ive used it Ive had an issue. Milk getting in the tubing, little or no suction, hissing sounds from tubing insert. I have however fixed these issues relatively easy by reading troubleshoot forums. I find the ease of buying attachments and bottles tho appealing as medela is everywhere

Purchased in December 2018 for $200.00.

NicoleSydney, NSW

Did well at first but then MOLD!

It worked well and I really liked it! At first.
I packed it away after not needing it anymore, I have recently pulled it out a month after packing it away and pumped some milk. The tab got stuck (understandably as it was sitting for a while) and milk got sucked into the machine. I opened it up straight away to find mold!!! I Won’t use it anymore and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Purchased in January 2019 for $300.00.

Nicole

Thanks for the reply, I did replace tubing and the sponge and continued to use it. It is a bit of a hassle still. I still like the pump when it comes to expressing the milk.

Medela A.Medela

Thanks, Nicole should you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact Customer Service. We will be only too happy to assist.
Kind regards
Pauline

Ale M.

Ale M.Sydney, NSW

So-so

I purchased this as a couple of girlfriends are also using it. It’s so-so, I hand express after pumping and still get quite a bit afterwards, so I feel like it’s not that good. It’s easy to clean but the tubes does have some water in them.

Purchased in January 2018.

Mika

Mika

Good and reliable

I use this 3-4 times a day, very easy to disemble and clean, quite compact and pretty quiet. I never used it portable so don’t know what it’s like on the go. I do find I can usually pump more with hospital grade pump though. But would recommend this to anyone. Maybe even a double pump instead of single would be better.

Purchased in September 2018 for $300.00.

Pauline T.Medela

Courtney VSouth East Queensland, QLD

Easy to use and pretty good pump but not working after 5 days

I bought the double pump straight out of hospital with my bub and was using 8 times a day due to poor latch and supply. Started off great but after 5 days it basically broke, suddenly the pump lost about 70% suction and couldn’t get any milk out. The two days I was without a pump was terrible for my supply. I borrowed my sisters which was the same pump and it had served me well 3 months on, but it breaking so quickly was so disappointing consider it’s not cheap. Keep your receipt! I haven’t done anything yet about it so I cannot comment on customer service

Purchased in November 2018 at Chemist Warehouse.

Courtney V

To add, it turn out it was the tubes that were the issue. An easy replace but not great that they needed it in less than a week

Pauline T.Medela

AliCatSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good pump, rubbish attachments

I wouldn't be without a breastpump with an undersize baby and needing to basically force feed as they didn't have the energy to latch and suckle consistently. The medela swing pump is good but disappointing with the tube attachments to the funnel and the pump - they are not secure and if you move around even a little prone to pop off and you lose the suction. Also, they could be longer, but then that is an issue with all breast pump options I understand

darkfaery7

darkfaery7Perth, WA

Not completely awful but have had a lot of problems. Since found better alternatives

TazPerth

Don't expect too much...

I had a hospital grade madela pump for 6 weeks and then had to return it and bought the swing. Unfortunately what I didnt realise at the time is that it doesn't build and support your supply if you're solely expressing to feed your baby. I think it would be good for someone breastfeedingand then pumping but not for solely pumping. My supply plummeted and at 10 weeks I had to stop. It's a good machine though... comfortable and easy to use. A bit loud... but ok.

Taz

Portable but takes ages to complete a pump session

I bought this pump for use with my first baby, then used it again with my second. I do remember thinking sometimes it would take forever to get all the milk out, like over 30 minutes. Still, it's very portable. My 3rd child was a 29 weeker so I've been exclusively pumping for a while, and this little pump just didn't cut it. Took too long (upwards of 45 minutes a session) and I was was always sore after. I've since gotten a Spectra s2 which is working better but is enormous and not very portable. I must say it could be that the medela just old and at the end of its life, but I did always find it took a long time when using this pump. I think the suck cycle was to short for me.

Icy

IcyAdelaide

It did the job

I used this pump to pump for a friends adopted baby. It was easy to use and worked well. Easy to clean too. I used it for pumping for 3 babies and helped when my breasts were over full.
I would recommend this breast pump to other mothers but as I’ve finished having babies, I’m done :)

jakegerman

jakegermanGosford NSW 2250

It’s OK

Every woman’s experience with pumping is different and perhaps I’m a bad “pumper” however I find it very difficult to extract milk and rarely get a letdown when I’m using the pump (whereas my child can achieve that in 20 seconds or so). if I were to buy one again I’d get a double pump to try and make this experience a quicker event.

Laura Wells

Laura WellsMelbourne

It was average.

I breastfed both children but had an issue with this product as it broke after 2 months. It wouldn’t pump meaning the machine you attach the tube to didn’t have any suction. It was so expensive as well.

I would just recommend a hand pump. People think the more expensive something is the better it is but it’s not true! You can get great results with just a manual pump.

Barb

BarbLogan

An alright product

Very comfortable machine and easy to clean. However, it's not as strong as what I needed. Because my son was 4 weeks early and not able to breastfeed I was expressing all the time. after 6 weeks of constant expressing (every 2-3 hours, everyday) my milk starting dwindling. I struggle to get half of what I used to get and I have to squish my breasts to get milk out. Not good for long term use. i will definitely be using this again in future.

Jess.A

Jess.A

Good but not great

The medela swing is small and convenient however the flanges are very annoying. The flanges should come with an angle part so I don't have to keep sitting forward to allow the breast milk to drop into the bottle. Also should be able to purchase the flange sizes with the pump and not separate

Chris

ChrisSydney, NSW

I thought it was good till I bought a Spectra S2

I was pleased with the pump when I used it for my first child - but it took me 40 minutes to do a cycle (both breasts with a single pump). I thought that was ok until I had my second child and found my Medela Swing was not working - the batteries that I left in there had leaked. So I bought a second hand Spectra S2 pump instead for about the same price as this one, as I had heard good things about Korean made pumps. And I was not disappointed! The Spectra S2 is a double pump, was much more powerful, and able to complete a cycle in less than 10 minutes! Amazing, and never looking back!

Natella

NatellaPerth

Ok unit

Compact breast pump. Good that you have to option of batteries or mains plug in. Found that it really does take practice to get hang of the unit. Does t have the strongest suck compared to the hospital grade units. Met my needs as an occasional expresser. Would probably need a double unit if you needed to soley express.

Sonny

SonnyAU

Would be better if it were a closed system

I used this pump for about half an hour at a time a few times a day. I like that it is very comfortable to use and good at extracting milk. It’s parts are also readily available in many shops as it is so popular.

Unfortunately the milk would often get backed up above the duck valve during a pumping session and would only flow through which you would move your breast out of the flange to break the suction. If you didn’t do this quick enough the milk would get sucked into the tubing and make its way back into the motor which is very unhygienic. I moved to a different pump for this reason.

Fi.E

Fi.ESouth East Queensland, QLD

Does the job.

Maria

Maria

It didn't do it's job with me

I bought this pump cause I was told it was the best but unfortunately it didn't work with my breast shape. It was very hard to express and I found the suctioning cups very rigid and not ergonomic. I think it works better for bug nipples so the expressing is faster. In my case I needed something wider to express. It would be a better product if they improve the plastic uncomfortable suction cup.

Medela A.Medela

Thank you Maria for reviewing our product. Please find that we will send you a private message to ask you a few questions about the breastshield size you were using. Best wishes, customer service.

Rhiann W

Rhiann WMelbourne

Not the greatest pump on the market

I bought this pump when my daughter was in NICU.
I expressed multiple times (6-8) everyday for 9 months.
It was comfortable to use but did not have an overly strong suction.
It would occasionally draw milk into the tubing which can then push it into the motor.
The parts were not very easy to clean and were expensive to replace.
It did the job but i would not use it again. There are far more superior pumps on the market at a similar price point.

Anonymous

Anonymousasked

Hi Team, unknowingly I’ve bought swing flex when there’s a maxi flex , now it’s time consuming because I couldn’t use both breasts at a single time. Is there a way that I can replace a motor with an add on cost? As I’ve spent already 200$ do I need to spend another 270$ to get maxi flex?

Medela A.Medela

Hi there, we are sorry to hear this! Please contact your place of purchase or our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com and they will do everything they can to help you. Please note that once a pump has been used, we cannot exchange or replace a motor unless there is a fault with the machine that is covered under warranty.

Kindest Regards,

neha M.asked

Hi team,
I have medela swing flex single pump. Buy now i need to use it with double tube i.e. to start pumping from both at one time. Can u suggest if u can buy accessories for it? All parts i saw says compatible with only maxi flex? Can u suggest what shud i buy to get extra tube and extractor?

Medela A.Medela

Hi Neha, thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately our Swing Single breast pump is not able to be used as a double breast pump because the motor is not strong enough to express both breasts at the same time. It is designed as a single pump only. If you would like to double pump, you would need to purchase the Swing Maxi Flex or Freestyle Flex.
Kindest Regards,

Thanks Natasha... that helps

Medela A.Medela

No worries Neha. If you need further assistance, please contact our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com and they would be happy to help you.

Kind regards,

Meital

Meitalasked

Hi,
I just bought Medela Swing (single) and I don’t seem to understand something basic- I do know you can use it either with the plug-in or with the batteries but isn’t there a need to give it an initial charge (of 24 hours like it goes with the Freestyle I used to have, before it was unfortunately broken beyond repair)? Can I use it straight away after I bought it (plugged in) or should there be an initial charging time prior to first use?

Medela A.Medela

Hi Meital, thank you for reaching out! Because your Swing requires powering up with either batteries or mains power, you cannot 'charge' it as such, unlike the Freestyle which has a re-chargable battery. Your Swing pump is ready to use as soon as you receive it, either using batteries or plugged into mains power.

Hope this helps!

For further information, please contact our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com.

Kind regards,

Amy G.
Amy G.

Nope, she’s ready to go. Just plug into the mains power and get pumping :)

Get an answer from our members and Medela representatives

CategoryElectric Breast Pumps