Medela Swing

Medela Swing (page 3 of 15)

• Portability
  • Suction
  • Comfort
Sally NMelbourne

Efficient but can be a bit noisy

I went from a manual pump to the Mandela swing. It was an easy transition. At first it looked like it would be hard to clean with all the tubing but once I got the hang of it, it was easy enough to clean the funnels and pack away the pump in its bag. Towards the end of a pump, it can get quite noisy as you turn it up (stronger pump) the less milk you have.

Sally N

Thanks for the tip Shannone.

Jade
JadeNorthern Region, NSW

Great basic breast pump

The Medela swing is a great basic breast pump. I purchased due to great brand reputation and wanted something easy to use as a first time mum. I use approximately 4 times per day and find it comfortable and easy to clean. It's portable so would be easy to take with me on the go if needed.

Amy
AmyPerth

Good pump

Very good at extracting the milk was so handy to have when I wanted to get some sleep and hubby could feed bubs. The parts were a little hard to find and the tube got some moisture in it. it was nice and compact though so store nice and easy

Rach W
Rach WSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good with frequent use

Exclusively expressed with my first and expressing 1-2 times daily with my second and using the same pump so very happy with its longevity.

Replacement parts can be purchased such as breast shields and valves etc which is handy. Medela and pigeon brand bottles screw directly into pump which is fabulous too.

Expensive but found on sale at chemist warehouse. I like that this brand is used in hospitals so seemed reputable.

Medela A.Medela

Portable but takes ages to complete a pump session

I bought this pump for use with my first baby, then used it again with my second. I do remember thinking sometimes it would take forever to get all the milk out, like over 30 minutes. Still, it's very portable. My 3rd child was a 29 weeker so I've been exclusively pumping for a while, and this little pump just didn't cut it. Took too long (upwards of 45 minutes a session) and I was was always sore after. I've since gotten a Spectra s2 which is working better but is enormous and not very portable. I must say it could be that the medela just old and at the end of its life, but I did always find it took a long time when using this pump. I think the suck cycle was to short for me.

Medela A.Medela

The best baby products in 2020!

Nathan S.29 Oct 2019
the-best-baby-products-in-2020
Icy
IcyAdelaide

It did the job

I used this pump to pump for a friends adopted baby. It was easy to use and worked well. Easy to clean too. I used it for pumping for 3 babies and helped when my breasts were over full.
I would recommend this breast pump to other mothers but as I’ve finished having babies, I’m done :)

cbkelly
cbkelly

Highly recommend

Easy to set up but took a bit for me to learn to use it. Relaxation while pumping is key!

Used with batteries when commuting and worked fine as well as via power supply.

Much more comfortable and effective than cheaper brands.

Would’ve liked a double but not always convenient to have a double.

jakegerman
jakegermanGosford NSW 2250

It’s OK

Every woman’s experience with pumping is different and perhaps I’m a bad “pumper” however I find it very difficult to extract milk and rarely get a letdown when I’m using the pump (whereas my child can achieve that in 20 seconds or so). if I were to buy one again I’d get a double pump to try and make this experience a quicker event.

Juz
JuzSydney

Ok pump

I think this pump is strong enough for home use. I used it mostly in the first 3 months after bub was born to stimulate milk supply. Its got a few bits and bobs to clean, and I got a bit sick of washing it all the time. But I think it's standard for this type of product.

Holly
HollyPerth, WA

Easy to use

I used this for about 2 months (then went to formula) I found it really good to use. I went with this brand because they had the same brand in the hospital and was easy to use, decent suction without feeling like your nipple is going to tear off. I would recommend

SimonD
SimonDStretton, Qld

I have had this pump for both of my babies, and I love it!

I have purchased 3 of these pumps over the years, and I must say, easy to use, good quality and fast. I find that the pump works much faster when plugged into the wall, than battery power.
I had one that had a problem with the pump breaking down very soon after purchase, however the company was very good at sending me a replacement motor.

AvW
AvWPerth

Worth every penny!

I was adamant that I would breast feed my bub for at least 6 months; but this wasn't possible after 4 weeks; so I tried the next best thing..... expressing. We bought the Medela Swing breast pump & it was worth every cent. I've used it for the last three months & can recommend it to anyone that wish to express regularly. It is very easy to use; comfortable as it has various settings & can be operated using either electricity or battery. So you can take it wherever you go.

Laura Wells
Laura WellsMelbourne

It was average.

I breastfed both children but had an issue with this product as it broke after 2 months. It wouldn’t pump meaning the machine you attach the tube to didn’t have any suction. It was so expensive as well.

I would just recommend a hand pump. People think the more expensive something is the better it is but it’s not true! You can get great results with just a manual pump.

Tash D
Tash DBrisbane

Was a lifesaver in the early days!

This breast pump saved my breastfeeding journey. I was able to comfortably pump anywhere as needed thanks to the option to plug in to mains or use batteries. I found the pump to be used friendly and was able to do a pumping session in under 15 minutes (both sides).
The parts all come apart easily. Be careful not to break the small yellow connection with the plastic valve on it when dissasembling as I sometimes found this could get stuck and became difficult to remove. All parts are dishwasher safe.
I have used this pump through two children and have only had to replace the valve membranes a couple of times.
I would purchase this item again as it is compact, easy to use and efficient.

Barb
BarbLogan

An alright product

Very comfortable machine and easy to clean. However, it's not as strong as what I needed. Because my son was 4 weeks early and not able to breastfeed I was expressing all the time. after 6 weeks of constant expressing (every 2-3 hours, everyday) my milk starting dwindling. I struggle to get half of what I used to get and I have to squish my breasts to get milk out. Not good for long term use. i will definitely be using this again in future.

Nancy
Nancyasked

Hi Medela team,
I have a swing flex single breast pump from 8 years ago when I got it for my first child. I am just wondering if the new edition accessories such as tubing and connector will fit my old motor? Plus do I need a valve and membranes as the replacement for it? Thanks!!

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for asking! We do have spare parts you can use, the best thing to do would be to either call our customer services team directly on +61 (0) 3 9552 8600 and they will be able to tell you exactly what you need or visit our store, medelastore.com.au and purchase directly what you need.

Medela Team

Anonymous
Anonymousasked

Hi Team, unknowingly I’ve bought swing flex when there’s a maxi flex , now it’s time consuming because I couldn’t use both breasts at a single time. Is there a way that I can replace a motor with an add on cost? As I’ve spent already 200$ do I need to spend another 270$ to get maxi flex?

Medela A.Medela

Hi there, we are sorry to hear this! Please contact your place of purchase or our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com and they will do everything they can to help you. Please note that once a pump has been used, we cannot exchange or replace a motor unless there is a fault with the machine that is covered under warranty.

Kindest Regards,

neha M.asked

Hi team,
I have medela swing flex single pump. Buy now i need to use it with double tube i.e. to start pumping from both at one time. Can u suggest if u can buy accessories for it? All parts i saw says compatible with only maxi flex? Can u suggest what shud i buy to get extra tube and extractor?

Medela A.Medela

Hi Neha, thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately our Swing Single breast pump is not able to be used as a double breast pump because the motor is not strong enough to express both breasts at the same time. It is designed as a single pump only. If you would like to double pump, you would need to purchase the Swing Maxi Flex or Freestyle Flex.
Kindest Regards,

Thanks Natasha... that helps

Medela A.Medela

No worries Neha. If you need further assistance, please contact our customer service team by calling 1800 787 345 or emailing contact.au@medela.com and they would be happy to help you.

Kind regards,
Natasha

Get an answer from our members and Medela representatives

CategoryElectric Breast Pumps