3.0

Goldie

GoldieGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Full Refund, Very Happy

On contacting Medibank Travel Insurance today about our insurance for a cancelled trip, I was so pleased to be offered a full refund of our premium which was over $1000.
We had already received most of our refunds from our travel providers, so getting our premium back was fantastic.

MedibankMedibank

Hi Goldie, thanks so much for submitting your positive review.

If there is anything we can help you with, please do not hesitate to reach out. - Jade

Wonderful service and very helpfull.

We had our trip to Asia cancelled by the cruise line because of covid 19.
We were reimbursed from NCL for the cruise but not the flights etc.
Thankfully Medibank Private paid the shortfall. Really great service and courteous staff. Thank you.

MedibankMedibank

Hi Peter, thanks so much for your lovely review.
If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. - Jade

pozVictoria

Ripped off

Hi there,
We'd love to see if there is anything we can do to help. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.
Anna

Sent you or information

Gary Patterson

Gary PattersonGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Professional and Courteous

Covid 19 forced us to cancel our trip to Canada / Alaska - with our travel insurance being taken out well in advance of the pandemic we were pleased that our Medibank travel insurance covered the cost of the trip that was not refunded by the travel company. The service from in store ( Lisa ) and over the phone was always professional and informative. The claim was handled quickly and to our full satisfaction. In such a difficult and stressful time the service was very much appreciated. We will certainly take out future travel insurance with Medibank.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Hi Gary,
Thank you for your lovely review and we're very happy about your positive experience.
Joshua

Maomao

MaomaoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Medibank declined my claim because my mum had a surgery

Medibank travel insurance declined my claim because my mum had a surgery so we need to cancel my family trip and go to the hospital to take care of her.

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Type of ClaimOther
Medibank P.Medibank

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything further we can do to help.
Hayley

Sean B.

Sean B.Sydney, NSW

Medibank paid when ASMOF travel insurance rejected claim

As a member of Australian Salaried Medical Officers Federation with "complimentary" travel insurance I expected them to cover my stolen camera, they did not but Medibank did! Thanks Medibank for your fare assessment, makes me think never trust "complimentary" travel insurance, go with Medibank!

Type of ClaimLost/Stolen Property
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Claim DateJanuary 2020

Hi Sean,
I'm glad to read about your positive experience and thanks so much for your 5 star review.

Courteous and Thorough

We had to cancel a planned trip to Vietnam because of Covid-19. Travel insurance had been taken out well before the outbreak became known and therefore Medibank Travel Insurance covered the cost of the deposit that was not refunded by the travel company we had used. Claim was straightforward to lodge and was handled quite quickly.

Medibank P.Medibank

Hi there,
Thanks so much for your 5 star review. We're so pleased you're satisfied with your cover.
If there is anything we can help you with, please feel free to reach out via private message.
Kindly, Hayley

Gordon

GordonEvatt 2617, ACT

Medibank came to the party when overseas holiday/cruise had to be cancelled.

We have used Medibank Travel Insurance for 3 of our overseas cruises. The proof of the pudding was cancellation of an Asian cruise which was cancelled for obvious reasons. Our travel agent determined that some of our deposit was not refundable and we really couldn't afford such a loss. Medibank covered most of this loss and we very much appreciated this

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea), North America (inc. Hawaii) and South-East Asia (e.g. Bali, Vietnam, Thailand)

Hi Gordon,
Thank you very much for your review. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send us a private message.
Kindly, Jade

Teresa B.

Teresa B.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Extreme slowness in their responses and claim with amount wrong calculated

DestinationSouth America
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Hi Teresa,
I am sorry about your recent experience. We'd love to follow this up, so I've just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Joshua

MatthewSouth East Queensland, QLD

Completely unresponsive during COVID-19 pandemic

Hi Matthew,
I am sorry your recent Travel claim wasn’t paid. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything we can do to help. Thanks, Anna

Matthew

Hi Anna, thanks for your message but it is very disappointing that this is the first contact I have had from Medibank regarding my claim since I lodged it in mid April. I have returned your message.

Hi Matthew, I've responded to your private message. Thanks, Joshua

Steve TurnerIllawarra, NSW

Absolute RORT ! Refuses to pay substantiated Claim. AVOID Medibank Travel Insurance

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Hi Steve,

Steve Turner

Message received and responded with required details. Will keep this updated with responses.

PerrySouth East Queensland, QLD

Covid 19 refusal

Typical of company that claims to help, your wording is so clever so you don't have to cover any claim to do with the Corona Virus. What a let down and will never use your company again.
So disappointing and pathetic

Hi Perry,

Perry

No im talking about travel insurance

Travel wit ease

We have been using Medibank Private for over 16 years for our private health cover and all our travel insurance needs, because they have covered our claims when we really needed them. Their staff have been really caring.

Type of ClaimMedical

Hi there,
Thank you for your lovely review. We’re glad to read of your positive experience with our Travel team over the years. If there is anything we can do to help, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Duncan Wilson

Duncan WilsonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

In this difficult time with a looming number of claims due to the pandemic we received our claim in full. Good work

Yes the policy was good value
We received notice our claim was approved and payment was received in the published time frame
This is the 3rd occasion we have used this company for travel insurance and add that we are shareholders in the company

DestinationEast Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)
Claim DateFebruary 2020

Hi Duncan,
Thank you for your lovely review. We’re glad to read of your positive experience with submitting your Travel claims. If there is anything we can do to help, please don’t hesitate to let us know.
Thanks, Joshua

Still waiting for response after flights cancelled.

My first email was sent on 12/03/20 to advise that I have had to postpone my trip and flight bookings with Singapore Airlines and wish to either receive a credit or cancel my travel insurance policy. Medibank's email response was I would be contacted in 1 working day. As I did not get through on the phone, I sent more emails and am still waiting for a response on 26/03/20. My next step is to visit the Medibank Branch Office where I purchased the travel insurance policy and also write a letter of complaint to Consumer Protection.

R. Hanley

Destination was to Ireland and Italy.

Hi there,
I am sorry you haven’t heard back from our Travel team in relation to your request. I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Anna

R. Hanley

Thank you Anna. I have responded and sent the information requested.

Antonella

AntonellaPerth, WA

Very disappointed - look elsewhere for insurance

Hi Antonella,
I am really sorry your recent travel claim wasn’t paid. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything we can do to help. Thanks, Anna

RajPerth, WA

A very long wait on the phone but the issue was resolved

The rental car insurance excess is below the amount charged by most car companies. I waited on the phone for over an hour wanting to confirm what the limit is and if I could increase. I am still waiting 1hr 10 mins later. Once I got a sales agent they were very helpful and increased the limit with a slight increase in premiums. I had called medibank when the corona virus pandemic had just hit therefore the long wait time.

Raj

Thanks Joshua. I understand your problems but an 1hr 20 min wait was the longest I have waited. However once I got through the staff were very helpful

Hi Raj,
I understand that is a very long time to be waiting on the phone. I'm glad we were able to resolve your enquiry once we were able to have a chat. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.
Joshua

Not Specifically Medibank but AHM which is owned by them.

DestinationAustralia and East Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea)

Hi Alan,
I am sorry to read of your recent experience.

smiley

smileyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

A very satisfied Medibank Travel Insurance customer

Medibank is my private health insurer, since I began to experience serious heath issues 4 years ago they have been excellent. Medibank was an easy choice when I purchased a comprehensive policy for my families trip to Thailand. Unfortunately I needed to make a claim upon our return. The online claim process only took 5 minutes, I received an approval 10 days later. I recommend Medibank for both health and travel insurance, my experiences have always been excellent. I will definitely continue to use them in the future.

Type of ClaimOther

See all Medibank Travel Insurance reviews

GaryG

GaryGasked

Travel Insurance

Medibank Travel /Zurich rejects claim, Good to Go /AIG paid identical claim -covid 19 not regarded as a natural disaster
Three of us travelled together and had to return to Australia early after our tour was cancelled as borders were closing due to covid 19. This involved purchasing emergency return airfares. One of us was insured with GoodToGo / AIG travel insurance, the other two were insured with Medibank travel insurance/Zurich. Claims were made to both insurance companies. Both claims were initially rejected because covid 19 is not regarded by them as a natural disaster. Medibank will only recognise geological and meteorological natural disasters not biological ones. AIG subsequently paid the claim under cancellation expenses. Medibank/ Zurich did not pay the claim. They would not recognise the return fares as either necessitated by the covid 19 natural disaster or as a cancellation expense. They say it is an additional expense not covered by the policy even though getting home was a critical part of our trip expenses. I argued that covid 19 is “Natural” and a “Disaster”. The Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in the USA agrees. (Some good arguments in the court ruling if you are in a similar position.) l have made a complaint to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority. I have insured with Medibank travel insurance before. This was the first trip where we needed insurance. Big let down. Next time we will try AIG. My Medibank medical insurance will also be reviewed.

MedibankMedibank

Hi Gary, I’m very sorry to read that your claim was rejected.

I have just sent you a private message to grab your details and escalate your complaint.

Thanks, Jade

Miss Ibisasked

Travel Insurance

I purchased Medibank private Travel insurance in July 2019 for a trip to Hawaii planned in May 2020.
Due to COVID-19, our flights have been cancelled and am not able to negotiate ANY refund from the owners of our STAYZ booked accommodation.
I've only been given the $300 USD bond back from the $5500 AUD I originally paid. VERY disappointed with STAYZ cancellation policy. It's such a lot of money to lose :(
Can I claim on my Medibank Travel Insurance for this cancellation? I agree with some other reviewers that the COVID-19 notice on their website would indicate that a claim could be lodged and approved. Does anyone know? Thank you :)

Hi Ibis,
I'm very sorry about your experience and we'd love to see if we can help. I've just sent you a private message asking for a few more details. Thanks, Joshua

Thanks Joshua
I have responded to your private message :)

Sue C

Sue Casked

Travel Insurance

Hi there, I have a comprehensive overseas travel policy. I was due to fly to the UK in early March but had to cancel due to illness. I have a doctor’s certificate to that effect. My problem is that I assume that I need to make sure that I do everything I can to mitigate the loss before I make a claim. I had a non refundable fare on Singapore airlines booked through Webjet. I understand that Singapore airlines will offer a flight credit to be used within 12 months of the date of the original booking which was May 2019. I also understand that this deadline may now have been extended - because this is all second hand information through Webjet and it’s very difficult to contact them by phone I haven’t been told this directly. Because of the Covid 19 situation it seems unlikely that overseas travel will be possible for the remainder of 2020 even if airlines survive, so I think I have lost my money practically speaking but I wanted to find out what your policy is in these circumstances. I have been on hold on your ‘contact’ line for 2 hours 15 minutes With no reply which is pretty shabby customer service. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Many thanks, Sue Carter

Hi Sue,
I am sorry you’ve been waiting long to speak to our Travel Insurance team. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything we can do to help.
Anna

Get an answer from our members and Medibank representatives