Medibank Health Insurance

Medibank Health Insurance Questions & Answers

44 questions from our users

Roger T.
Roger T.asked

If I pay for 12month cover before the April 1st can I get it at the current rate rather than the rate from April 1st.

Hi Roger,
Generally you can. However please don’t hesitate to send us a private message so that we can check your premium for you. Thanks, Anna

Hildaasked

My husband has throat cancer. We can have the operation immediately if we pay the specialist $5000. Could we get any kind of medicare rebate on the amount as we are both elderly but in otherwise good health. My husband is in pain and the waiting list has lengthened due to the corona virus.

chris tedbury
chris tedbury

Well I take it you don’t have private health cover, I did and was basically forced into public If your catagory1 like me they said we must do within 30 days perhaps sera a more sympathetic doctor and beg him to get to catorgy 1 they cannot watch him die

Hi Hilda,

Thanks for getting in touch. I just sent you a private message to see if there is anything we can do to help.

Please note, if your question was intended for Medicare please get in touch with Medicare at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/contact-us.

Hilda

Hi Anna, thank you for your message. The surgical team at John Hunter Hospital at Newcastle has taken care of my husband and he is down for surgery next Friday and it will be fully funded by Medicare. The relief for both of us has been dramatic. Hilda

Reddy
Reddyasked

Why do medibank doesn't have claims via email? It is always not possible for us to go to stores or post at this stage and submit our claims. It would help customers if you have some generic email to submit claims which other insurance companies offer like BUPA?

Hi Reddy,
Thanks for your question. Most claims can be submitted via the My Medibank app.
If you need help accessing your online account, please don’t hesitate to send us a private message or contact our Contact Centre on 132 331 from 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday & Saturdays 9 am to 4 pm (AEST) for assistance. Thanks,

Manpreetmnu M.
Manpreetmnu M.asked

Do medibank pay 100% pathology expenses

Hi Manpreetmnu,
I just sent you a private message so that we can look into that for you.

Kate
Kateasked

How many weeks are you entitled to in a Rehab Hospital - is it 18 days or 3 weeks

Hi Kate,
Thanks for getting in touch. We'd love to look into that for you. I just sent you a private message asking a few more details. - Anna

Dorota
Dorotaasked

Is robotic surgery for prostate cancer covered by Medibank?..
If not WHY??.

Hi Dorota,

Generally Medibank pays benefits towards in-hospital medical services based on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS). If a service is listed on the MBS and Included or Limited under your cover, we pay benefits towards it.

However, procedures performed using a robotic surgical system are significantly more expensive than when the same surgery is performed using conventional surgical techniques which Medibank already covers. Members may be charged a robotic technology fee in surgeries where the robot is used, which is larger than a normal out-of-pocket expense by their surgeon. It is the doctor's responsibility to discuss this additional out-of-pocket charge with their patient prior to surgery, whilst signing the informed financial consent.

This additional charge is usually due to a:

- fee for specialist expertise in using the robot
- payment from the doctor to the hospital that goes toward covering the expensive disposable items required for each robotic surgery case
- reimbursement fee toward the initial cost of purchasing and maintaining this expensive equipment.

In most cases Medicare items numbers will still apply to the procedure with the additional technology fee itemised separately, but Medibank does not pay a benefit towards the additional technology fee.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to send us a private message.

Fred Boum Bletterman
Fred Boum Blettermanasked

We are 72 and 77 year old we pay $317.00 a month been with Bupa for years.
We cannot afort this.
Can you advice us.

Hi Fred,

Thank for submitting your question.

Please contact our Contact Centre on 132 331 from 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday & Saturdays 9 am to 4 pm (AEDT) for assistance, or you can contact our Live Chat team at https://www.medibank.com.au/contact-us/ who are available 24/7. Once you're on the webpage, please click on Start live chat that is shown in the middle of the webpage.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Lee-Ann F.
Lee-Ann F.asked

Hello We are Australians living and working abroad. Consequently, we are no longer entitled to access Medicare. So, this is the first time we are shopping for private health care insurance. Are there any restrictions as Australians overseas or are we able to freely pick and choose between levels of cover with Medibank?

Hi Lee-Ann,
Thanks for submitting your question. We will need to confirm a few more details to be able to assist you.
I just sent you a private message.
Thanks, Anna

Rob
Robasked

Medibank,

I have joined this fund before I red these reviews, a lot of negatives and not a lot of positives, I. Really hope I will not be disappointed.

Hi Rob,

We are really pleased to have you on board as a member and we would love to make your joining with Medibank as smooth as possible.

If we can help in anyway, please don't hesitate to give us a call on 132 331 between the hours of 8am - 8pm, Monday to Friday or from 9am -4pm on Saturdays.

Dave

Shashi
Shashiasked

Hi, If we change OSHC to Overseas Workers Standard Hospital and Medical, are waiting period still applied or waived? Are waiting period applied for GP consultation and Radiolody such as scanning, utrlasound, blood test etc..? Please clarify.

Loreena
Loreena

I was told yes...waiting periods do apply

Hi Shashi,
Thanks for getting in touch.
We’d like to look into that for you. I just sent you a private message asking for a few details.

Pollyanna
Pollyanna

Medibank, is Lorena correct?

tony
tonyasked

does medibank pay for lymphedema equipment

Chris
Chris

Sorry Tony - I am unable to answer your question. Please contact Medibank for an answer.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for asking a question here on the Product Review site.

We have just popped you a private message asking for further details so we can assist with your enquiry.

We look forward to helping out.

Sandy
Sandyasked

are policies renewed annually from January or fiscally from July?

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for getting in touch with Medibank.

Are you asking about when annual benefit limits are reset? If so, these are reset on the 1st of January each year.

We hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions or inquiries, we are always more than happy to help. :)

Anthony Horbushko
Anthony Horbushkoasked

Just got message in my email " last claim was unsuccessful." I lodged my claim with the Hobart branch. Why was I not told then plus the reason why? The reason I am contacting you this way is becourse I had a hard time coping with the prompts on my ancient mobile phone. My name is Anthony Horbushko ,
Member number is [Policy Number, Address and Email Removed] , PLease return my call on [Number Removed] to discuss . Thanking you , regards Tony.

I am sorry this not an answer from me I am waiting your call your for the above Question?

Please phone me to discuss this [Number Removed]

Why wont you phone me ?

TonyR
TonyRasked

I understand that Medibank Private does not cover any medical expenses when I am overseas (for 3 months). Why then am I required to continue paying for Medibank Private in Australia when I cannot use their services?

Hi Tony,
Thanks for getting in touch. I just sent you a private message.
There are a few details we need to confirm to help answer your question.

Alexandra E.
Alexandra E.asked

How much refund for the remedial massage?

Hi Alexandra,
Thanks for getting in touch.
The benefit will depend on the the item number charged and your level of cover.
Please send us a private message with your details so that we can check that for you.
Alternatively, please do not hesitate to call our Contact Centre on 132 331 from 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday & Saturdays 9 am to 4 pm (AEDT) for assistance.

jo p
jo pasked

I have lodged a complaint and have had no response at all. It is about being double charged. I have a complaint number and its now in the third week. How do I get somebody to follow this up for me?

Nadia

Hi what I did was calling directly Medibank until I get a right person who is willing to help and professional enough to solve the problem . those who answered your phones will 99% different Medibank staffs, each staff would just go through by what the last staff left messages at their system to get the whole story of your case , therefore , you need to have great patience to repeat your questions each phone calls until you are lucky enough to have a right staff answer your phone and help solve the problem. Each call remember to ask his/her name and a reference number , if you feel he/she is likely still under training , maybe good idea to report the staff is not qualified to answer customer calls , he/she need to upgrade their level before they are capable to answer calls . I got the right staff answered my call But unfortunately I don’t have her contact , next time I call Medibank is still by luck. Hope good luck come to you soon.

Nadia

I rang and talked to about 12 different staffs until the right one finally answered n helped my questions . The whole time over 2 weeks of lots of phone calls , each phone call easily at least 30 mins

Hi Jo,
I am sorry you haven’t heard anything in relation to your case.
I just sent you a private message asking for a few more details.

Deb Hasked

I have been a member of Medibank Private top hospital cover for well over 25 years, and when I was admitted to Pindara Hospital in 2015 I was given a private room. However, the lady opposite me was given a room double the size of mine, with extra benefits. I asked how that could happen given that I had top hospital cover and they explained that the lady had paid extra for the larger room. So my question is when is TOP hospital cover not actually TOP hospital cover?

Nadia

That’s good question . Mine Standard Hospital , I was thinking if necessary to even upgrade to TOP

Deb H

I definitely wouldn't bother. I was also hospitalised recently in regional Victoria (Ballarat) and I shared a room with 3 men while the 'dementia' patients had all the private rooms as they were considered a threat to other patients! Effectively I got standard cover and had no choice, regardless of the premium I paid.

Hi Deb,
Thanks for getting in touch.
Please send us a private message with your details, so that we can discuss your policy and you past claims.

Jemma H.
Jemma H.asked

My dental claim was accepted then a bill was sent out saying it wasn’t accepted. How can it be accepted on the day of billing but then disputed later?

Hi Jemma,

Thanks for reaching out about your claim.

We are sorry to read about the confusion around the status of your recent claim.

We have sent you a private message requesting some details from you, this will allow us to further investigate this for you.

We look forward to your reply and helping to resolve this matter.

Floasked

I have Medibank health insurance for top hospital coverage. Do Medibank paid for blood test, scans, x Ray etc if the insurancee is not hospitalised during the time when all teas tests are carried out ?
Florence

Hi Flo,

Thanks for getting in touch.

So that we can look into that for you please send us a private message with your details.

Alternatively, please do not hesitate to call our Contact Centre on 132 331 from 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday & Saturdays 9 am to 4 pm (AEDT) for assistance, or you can contact our Live Chat team at https://www.medibank.com.au/contact-us/ who are available 24/7. Once you’re on the webpage, please click on “Start live chat” that is shown in the middle of the webpage.

Flo

I am oversea now, cannot call you. Please just answer yes or no .

pushy
pushyasked

Can I get my heart checked for free with Medibank?

Hi there,
Thank you for contacting Medibank.
So that we can access your policy, please send us a private message with more details. We'd like to look into that for you.
Anna

Get an answer from our members and Medibank representatives

Other Health Insurance