Mercedes-Benz B-Class

Mercedes-Benz B-Class

W246 (2012-Present) and W245 (2005-2011)

Be aware of low ground clearance

Many good things about it, but just be aware of the lowest ground clearance ever. In some places you can find it reported as being 190mm, in some others 134mm - 190mm, I just know that it hits to any small speed bump, hole, rock or when starting riding on a uphill. Nothing you can't deal with if driving in city, but a big ask for anything else.

Purchased in June 2015.

Noise Level
BoughtUsed
Design
Boot Size
Comfort

Beautiful and Perfect

We own a MB B200CDI. It’s a diesel car, plenty of pulling power, you sometimes mistakenly think you are driving a petrol version. Minimum noise and silk smooth engine. I had a BMW 118D before, it felt like a truck compare to my Mercedes. Packed with features, quality craftsmanship from Mercedes. We all love it! Perfect car for a family if you don’t mind paying premium price.

Purchased in May 2012.

Boot Size
Features
Comfort

B180 - Dinosaur of a car

I have a B180 petrol which my partner uses as a daily driver to ferry the kids around. It covers over 25,000km a year and is now about years old. Our car has gone through the A & B service intervals and I find it as good as when we first bought it.

Driving is not inspiring at all and I feel that the 1.6L engine is slightly under powered for a car of this size. Add 5 people in it and you will notice the obvious driving dynamics (or lack of) when driven back to back with a BMW 2 series active tourer. But who are you kidding? This is a mini- MPV. Steering is relatively sharp and accurate and you wouldn't know this is a front driver if no one said so. Sports mode and peddle shifters are the way to go if you need more out of the car as the standard comfort mode is slow as a Brontosaurus. Beware though that spirited driving results in frequent visits to the petrol bowser. However, when driven sedately, we eke out 650km on a single tank of RON 98.

What this car excels in, is its spacious interior which out performs all of its rivals. The boot is very big which is helpful if you have to lug around equipment for the kids' footy practice and all. Internal dimensions are very spacious and leg, knee, head and shoulder room is excellent when compared with its competitors. We have the panoramic sun/moon roof and there is still good headroom when you take into account that the sun roof takes up some of that headroom. There is a pull out food tray on the back of the front seats which the kids love as they can put their devices on it or place their food containers on. As it is a B180, the seats are fabric and isn't the best in the segment but the firmness and support that you have with the side bolsters are very good. The suspension tune is very good and it is a fine balance between stiff and compliant which works well for a family orientated car.

Overall, this is a well executed car but a little down on power. I wish that Mercedes Benz Asia Pacific will look at the competition and fix the underpowered car, as I am sure that they can get a good price from factory if they only import all B classes in 200 engine tune but vary the interior trims to have some product differentiation.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Dissapointed

Not happy about the fake declared fuel economy figures, totally unrealistic. Battery fault recalled within 12 months of purchase, then another electrical recall only recently. Reverse gear lag is terrible and steering controls not well thought out. Front tyres worn irregularly on both sides after 25000 km with tyre pressures checked regularly. Obviously a suspension or chassis design issue. Not good for a supposive marque such as merc. Wont be lining Lewis pockets anymore in future.

BadgeB250 4MATIC
Engine Size2.1
Date PurchasedJan 2016

Love it

The absolutely perfect car for us. Just some of the things that i love that others may not mention (mostly female stuff). It's small so fits in our narrow driveway without problems and I love the dipping passenger side mirror when backing. The height of the car/seats are perfect to get in and out of for my back - not or low or high. Really really comfortable seats, huge boot and it looks beautiful!!! The white is just gorgeous - a slight creamy white

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great city daily car

Performance is not that great compared to BMW. the acceleration is laggy. there is always a lag when you push the acceleration.

the comfort level is high.

space is good.

functions are awesome!

computer system could be better. if can, Merc should rival idrive system by BMW.

for daily use, this Car would be very very good.

BadgeB200 CDI
Date PurchasedMay 2015

Mercedes B200, 2006 convenient inside, economical on petrol.

When i saw first time I did not like the design. Then decided to come back as the car was for a good price and almost new (116km done). Air conditioner is only one thing I do not know why but it takes a while to make it work. my previous car was Mercedes A 160 and there was very powerful air con.
The next generation of the same model I like more as they look much more better but they cost almost 2 times more.
Car is small outside and big inside enough for 2 children.
Once you have mercedes you never want anything else.

Engine Size2.1
Date PurchasedMay 2017

Perfect car

This car is so versatile and amazing. The interior are so nice, with leather seats and all that. The car is not a powerful but is also does not make much noise. There are plenty of room available for you to out groceries, and also move furniture with. The back seats can be put down for an extra large boot space. Although services tend to cost a lot, it runs well and does not have issues until after 8 years.

Date PurchasedJun 2006

Very happy

Excellent and cost effective vehicle that more than competes with it's cheaper rivals but kills them with features. The features really make this car; moonroof, cruise, speed limiter, parking assist, collision warning, climate control, all power options, quality Bluetooth service, DAD radio, speech command, Harden Karmen sound system, sat nav, 9 airbags, the list goes on. Service from MB Parramatta is superb, you get well looked after.

Engine Size1.6L Turbo

Mercedes quality! Not a single problem!

Great family car. My wife's daily driver, bought used from Mercedes 3 years ago. Now up to 100000km. Normal family usage. Absolutely nothing has failed or broken. My only complaint is that the rear wiper is a bit noisy and that I think that it's a little under-powered. A B200 next time, maybe?

Engine Size1.7
Still no problems- now with 135K on the clock!After 8 years and 145K, the original Varta battery just failed. 8 years of- mainly- wife daily driving use. Brilliant.

Practical car

The B class is the best blend of practicality and passenger-friendliness – sure, it’s probably the least exciting to drive, but if you’re after a pragmatic, price-friendly choice, this is it. Fuel consumption was great esp when I am on cruise control (hence this is great for our weekend road trips)

TransmissionAutomatic

Practical power - excellent everyday car.

I have had since new from Jan 2013. It is the sport model 250 and with 155 kW and 350nm of useable power - it is a really fun car to drive. It has done sterling service both in the city (I commute 70kms each day) and often to the holiday house (200km round trip). No issues mechanically - been serviced 3 times and hasn't cost the earth. Lots of room inside with split fold seats and even tall passengers are surprised at the rear leg room. Only issue is the run flat low profile tires are noisy on some country roads and you need to be careful over speedhumps and pot holes. Otherwise, a perfect all rounder!

BadgeB250
Engine Size2L Turbocharged engine

More problems with a car that's done 22000 ks

Very impressed with the car when we first purchased it At 6000 ks front end had to be replaced had come loose at 22000 ks oil leak trans seal scrub front tyres Mercedes Benz informed me that I'll will have to replace the front tyres every 20000 ks what a load of rubbish spend $ 800 on tyres c'mon they tell me that it's common.

Engine Size2

2012 Mercedes B180

Classy car. This is a very nice car and my favourite to drive. So many features - self parking, 9 airbags, collision warning, seatbelt indicators or all seats, brake hold function, reverse camera, front and rear sensors, ambient lights inside car (dash and door handles), etc.
My B180 is a demo with the vision and command package with larger screen, led lights, sun roof.
I previously had a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta and this has the same power but so much smoother and quieter. It is so clays and much better. Also had a 2007 Corolla and you can't compare a solid German car versus a tinny Japanese. We currently have a 2012 Toyota Kluger and one thing I notice is the Mercedes bluetooth is so clear compared to the Toyota which is bad. In fact the bluetooth in my Kluger is so bad I use the headphones on my iPhone to make calls. I have complained to Toyota but they say it has no problem.
Also the service intervals is 25,000 km or 12 months! My Toyota is 10,000 km and 6 months.
Solid, classy, reasonable price (demo), quiet, high quality and made in Germany.
Not as quick or powerful but just enough. Not as responsive as my Kluger. Stop/start shuts off air conditioner motor.

BadgeB180

I bought my 2007 Merc B class diesel new from a dealer with every option available, including sports suspension and opening glass roof. Be warned this suspension will make the ride very firm and bumpy. You literally feel every bump on the road. However I wanted a car that handled superbly and this suspension allows precise steering for sharp cornering. The car, on long trips, averages 5.3 litres per 100km which is better than any hybrid on sale, while city driving is about 6.5 litres. I particularly love my opening glass roof, so it's like a convertible without the 'bug teeth' factor. I would recommend this car to anyone. A bit pricey, but once you drive it you will understand where the money went.
Fuel economy, precise steering.
A bit of a rough ride.

BadgeB180 CDI

I liked it but swapped to the ML coz of the turning circle

I liked the car generally. Good boot space. Good with the kids. Leather seats, etc. took a beating and generally a pretty good car. Nice and solid - certainly better than other cars of a similar size I've had.

But I ended up swapping it for my husband's ML (yes, I know - it's a hard life! ;-)). What I found was the turning circle was not great and the maneuverability was a problem. It almost struggled with roundabouts.

The ML, by comparison, can turn on a pin and even though it's a bigger vehicle, I prefer it though I didn't think I would.
Fuel efficiency, boot space, sturdy, safe.
Turning circle - it has a long wheel base and it makes it a bit hard for city driving.

BadgeB200

I love this beautiful car it drives like a REAL MERCEDES. It is so smooth when turning and accelerates beautifully! I just love it!

Nothing of course

We have a 2013 200cdi. We are getting engine warnings, 5 times in 4 months. MB are suggesting that the CDI needs long fast driving to burn off the soot. Anyone else? I want to take them to NSW fair trading.

Can anyone tell me how the interior storage space with rear seats folded down, compares with that of the Honda Jazz?
This can be easily Googled and answers are readily available out there. However I can answer this rather quickly as I was looking at a Honda Jazz for a daily run about 2 years ago. Luggage space for the Jazz with the magic seat configuration etc is only 884 litres at its max, whereas the B-class is 1545 litres. Opening aperture of the boot of the B class is also larger as is the internal height which is important for big items.I did Google but it seems my ability is limited. Thank you dogbert for your answer.

b180 speed sensor in CVT needs replacing after only 65klms. I see that in the UK they also had problems at 37Kmiles and many of those have been repaired by Mercedes . Is or has there been a repair program or recall on this problem in Aust?

Similar listings