Good car

Great in most respects, I would strongly suggest getting a few options, not cheap but well worth them.

Intelligent LED lights...they make country driving much better.

Air suspension.... I didn't get this but wish I had, not for sporty driving but more control over speed humps and steep driveways you can raise it to stop the scape.

Intelligent cruise control.....great not only country driving but city traffic works perfect to take some stress away.

The Diesel engine is very good, Syd to Melb shout 4.6Lt/100 klm and no smell, hardly any diesel noise.

BadgeC250 Blutech
LineBlueTEC
TransmissionAutomatic

Very expensive vehicle to maintain!! Poor Design!!

After being a loyal BMW customer for over 15 years we decided to replace one of our BMW's with the new Mercedes-Benz C-Class W205, What a horrible experience it has been.
The bump in the road was a worrying one, the vehicles rear tyres wore out in 15,000 klms! at $600.00 a pair it was a cost that wasn't accounted for. After speaking with three Benz dealers its normal for the W205 to "Chew" rear tyres, together with an A service (Oil Change) cost of $750.00 the bill comes to a yearly cost of $1,350.00. if you add the 2nd year of ownership cost with a B Service and then four tyres you have a service bill of $2,550.00 its a money pit of a vehicle.
$4,000.00 of wasted money over two years is catastrophic!! God help you if it needs brake pads and discs. I put the excessive tyre wear down to poor final drive design.
A BMW with five years free servicing is on order, the Benz has been relegated to the scrap heap! If you want a vehicle with an excessive cost of ownership buy a W205 C-Class!!

TransmissionAutomatic

If you buy a new C Class, check your wheel alignment

I have a 2014 C250 BlueTEC. After 17,000km the front Continental tyres needed replacing. This was due to an incorrect wheel alignment at delivery. This is not covered under warranty. After 22,000km the rear tyres needed replacing also. If you buy a new C Class, check your wheel alignment. It saves a big bill.

LineBlueTEC
TransmissionAutomatic

Great car with comfort, performance and economy.

I purchased the Mercedes C180k Sports Coupe Kompressor (2003 model) approx 4 months ago with 79000k km on the clock. Log books confirmed all servicing done via Mercedes..
Completed just over 2000km and have found the handling to be surprisingly agile with little body roll, brakes are excellent, auto gearbox is very smooth, seats are firm and supportive, great for longer journeys, a trip up the coast yielded an average of 6.1ltr/100km which for me is outstanding for a 12 year old car, and in saying this after I got out after a 3 hour journey, myself and my partner felt very refreshed.
Aircon is fantastic!, gets icy cold and warm as toast and can be adjusted independently for front and rear passengers.
Sound system also sounds great, and can pick up a multitude of stations for your listening pleasure.
The baby Benz is so... comfortable and as one my friends said after driving this car, "It's like driving an armchair that handles".
Build quality is excellent, interior trim is as new for it's age, so a very pleasant place to be in.
The engine is very torquey and powerful for 1.8 liter, but it is supercharged, so I guess that makes a difference, it feels quicker than performance numbers would suggest.
Reliability is excellent so far, the only concern was to replace the aging 5 year old 16 inch Pirelli P7 tyres with Bridgestone Potenza's RE003 which in turn improved the cars handling in wet and dry immensely!.

Overall, I have found this to be a thoroughly enjoyable car to own and drive, whether you either tootle around, cruise in comfort, or enjoy a spirited drive through the twisties.

*****Update: 30.11.2015,

Just completed a 2000 km trip via Sydney to the Gold Coast and beyond and back to Sydney.
The car seating was very comfortable, the economy outstanding!, from Coffs Harbour (NSW) to Broadbeach (Qld) got down to 5.61ltr/100km!!!.
Over the entire journey the car achieved 6.5 ltr/100km. Mind you, this was cruising along at signed speed limits, using cruise control and included local town traffic snarls, roadworks etc.

On the open road the cars handling, stance, braking and performance were excellent.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres have minimal wear after approx 4000 km and were brilliant in between heavy downpours between Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie, they stick to the road like glue when up to operating temperatures (wet & dry).
The air conditioning was icy cold in the hot Queensland sun.
Auto windscreen wipers were a godsend whilst enduring extreme heavy rain and some light rain.

Having completed this journey I can justify that the baby Mercedes is an awesome and great touring car.

Happy, enjoyable and safe motoring always,
cheers,
Aldo.

BadgeC180 Kompressor
LineSports
BodyCoupe

Great Car

Mercedes Benz C 2000 Elegance automatic transmission year1996. I bought this one for my neighbor for a bargain price. It turned out that he can't afford to pay me back, so I ended having the car instead. Car was not running for 5 months after I bought the car, the owner is not interested since she bought a new car. Gave it away in a small amount. Purchased new battery and installed, car started and running. Ball joints failed the safety check, replaced and it is been running ever since. For a nearly 20 year old car, the ride comfort is hard to find. You can buy a 30,000 brand new car and the ride comfort is not even close. This car has service history and was owned by the same person since new. Paint job is not the best but the mechanicals, transmission, and engine condition are impressive for a car this age. Replaced transmission oil and filter, shifting is so smooth. Performance is hard to find for a stock standard car with no modifications. It is a heavy car but can do corners as well. Overall. Very happy.

LineElegance

Solid reliable car

This is my first Mercedes but certainly won't be my last. Fuel economy is fantastic, which is what I bought the car for. I commute 150 k's per day and constantly return under 5 litres per 100k's, (diesel). The interior is very well designed, with good quality materials for the price. The updated Harman Kardon sound system is well worth the extra money. Servicing cost are quite high at the dealers, but service intervals are 25,000 k's or annual. The service that I receive is always first rate, and very professional. You get what you pay for I suppose. I have had the car for 3 years and have done 100,000 k's and it hasn't missed a beat.

BadgeC200 CDI
LineBlueEFFICIENCY

The ultimate car?

I was reluctant to sell my Audi TT due to a growing toddler getting her feet squashed, but the boss told me it had to go.
I did a massive amount of research and found the W205 Benz a compelling package.
I test drove the diesel C250 but think that the petrol is more refined and becoming of a luxury car. I also went for the AMG line which is a bargain upgrade which I recommend.
It's the most amazing car I've ever driven and there aren't enough words to describe how awesome this car is.

Fingers crossed it's better than my old w203 which was utter garbage!

Well after 2 years I can confirm that this Merc is rubbish as well. After only 17000km I'm told the tyres need replacing (run flats are pathetic). The batteries in the remotes have been replaced but error message stayed on. The parking sensors stopped working and Mercedes won't fix under warranty. On the way home from a service the car overheated and had to be towed to the dealer.

BadgeC250 CGI
LineAMG
Date PurchasedJun 2015

Horrible experience

Purchased a C200k 2002 from a dealer serveral years ago (made in South Africa), as a used car with 60k on it - had the car for 4 years and it was a total lemon. Once when driving through the cross city tunnel, the gear leave came out of the fluffed up leather casing and was literaly hanging by a wire. The front door internal handles also came clean off (from both doors, a few months apart) - this is just so basic that it would not and should occur on ANY car, even after you've given it up for scrap. The dealer didn't bat an eye lid at any of these - they'd seen this too often to be affected, but still tried to get out of fixing it. The 3 pointed start on the bonnet began to rust (cheap chrome plating) - the dealer tried to pull the wool by saying this was not due to bad quality, but due to a stone chip whilst driving. When I pointed out that the rust was evenly spread across the back portion of the star and stone chips also usually obey the laws of physics, they replaced the emblem. Then the radio would not accept AM reception and the rear window got jammed (the sun roof also continually jammed). There is just so much tecnhology crammed into these cars then once they are more than 3 years old, things start to go wrong and the dealers scratch their heads trying to figure out how to fix it. When the car started juddering unexpectedly at low speeds, I'd had enough and sold it off for $13,000 - I'd bought it for $39,000 - I now have a brand new toyota yaris and have never been happier - I don't tense up everytime I get into the seat thinking of what could go wrong and how much it would take me to fix. MB's obsession of profit over reliability has turned away a lot of buyers....

LineElegance

Is this a good car?

My wife's 2009 was bought brand new and has had to be towed at least twice now for critical electrical failures. Sure it is a beautifully designed car and performs well but when its service costs reach 2500 a time you expect the car to be faultless and trouble free which it isn't. Its diesel engine is fantastic but over time I feel that it is harsh and very smokey. Would not recommend another.

BodySedan

Have discovered the ultimate car. Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Estate.

I purchased a 2014 twin turbo diesel demonstrator equipped with most of the available extras fitted. Essentially at the new car price with all the options free. Have only travelled 10,000 k but in the 4 months of ownership have discovered why Mercedes Benz is such a highly regarded and prestige vehicle maker.
The station wagon (Estate) has surprisingly proved to be a much more convenient general purpose vehicle than my former SUV. Just avoid the pot-holes and rough roads. Traction Control and the other assisting functions seem to keep you out of trouble if you are careful and not a real off-roader.
Have yet to master all the hi-tech options not being a teenager, but just setting everything onto "Auto" seems convenient and less confusing. The bible sized Handbook needs to be on hand at all times until you fully qualify as a jet pilot. Just have the key in your pocket and press the start button - everything just does it's job as required.
It is easy to believe the quoted performance figures of this twin turbo diesel, it goes like the clappers and has the torque of a big V8. Pity we have no autobahns.
Fuel economy is amazing even though I suffer from Leadfootism I still find economy is from 5 to 7 litres/100k. It is better than the wife's Mazda 2.
My wife has a very sensitive back and normally was not able to travel long distance without frequent rest stops. The multi adjustment seating for both passenger and driver having individual memory coupled with fantastic suspension has solved that difficulty. Also have a factory M/B towbar with Redarc fitted for trailer and compact van and find it tows better than my 2009 Pajero but is obviously limited to a small caravan up to 1800kg.

Only bad point is the problem of finding safe and secure parking - don't want a scratch on the new Benz!
Love the wagon, pity I could not afford one earlier in my driving career.

BadgeC250 CDI
TransmissionAutomatic
I forgot to mention the rather limited storage space in the front. Many small compartments and surely the drink holders on the centre console could have been located in the door moulding as they often get in the way when in use. It is the only an annoyance.

Not bad car

Well everyone expect MB to be something that never ever break. We bought second hand C200 Kompressor and in general are happy with it. Fuel consumption is reasonable for a 4 cyl. car. Looks nice inside and out, little uncomfortable on longer trips (may be because of low profile tyres) and space is not bad for car that size. Mercedes service not sure what to say about them because since we bought car we look after it (replacing oils, filters, spark plugs etc). Just did 100 K service and found that fuel filter was never replaced (that's why I don't take to the dealers, service car with someone that you know and can trust or DIY). In general not top of the range but not bad little car.

First Time MB Owner - now a convert

This is the best car we have ever had. We purchased a dealer drive C200 wagon with Avantegarde and Vision Packs. It is just delightful and makes every drive enjoyable. The little 1.8 turbo is incredibly flexible and gives great performance with excellent economy. Everything inside feels quality and built to last. We had the misfortune for our parked wagon to be hit by a hoon doing burn outs when he lost control. The car was hit hard yet all doors opened and the passenger cell was perfect - these are strong safe cars.

Awesome

I currently have a MY11 C250 and will definitely be getting the new 2015 model soon!!! It is very comfortable on highways and is quite roomy, the new model seems to be even larger, can't wait to get it!!!

Very good all round .

I purchased a 2013 C250 factory AMG pack new last year. Panoramic roof, vision pack, Harman Kardon sound system, etc. Plenty of power, comfortable on trips thanks to the hugging sports seats, very responsive from a four cylinder engine thanks to a good turbo and a seven speed auto.
Only thing on the down side are the 255 rear Continental tyres 13000 km and they need replacing, can't rotate them cause they put 245 on the front.
First service has been completed, no dearer than my previous V8 Landcruiser.

LineAMG
BodySedan

I don't regret trading my BMW in

Absolutely sensational, what more can I say? I have been a loyal BMW owner for many years and have always brought 5 Series for the additional level of technology. When the W204 first came into Australia I couldn't take my eyes off it. The design was second to none and not typically ugly like its predecessors. I test drove one and was so impressed with EVERYTHING! After a lot of agonizing, I had someone hit my car and write it off. I decided to bite the bullet and have not looked back since.

It's comfortable, sporty and packed full of features and buttons. I'm so impressed my next purchase will again be a Mercedes.

Was definitely worth paying a little extra for an Avantegarde.

Was looking at the new BMW's closed the dearch window typed in Merc - thank god my wife stopped me - would have had another one in the driveway.
Styling, Price, Features
Seats are a little ugly

2013 C Estate 200CDI

I upgraded from a B 180D and can't believe they come out of the same factory! The fuel efficiency is better than my old (2007) B, despite this being a much larger car. The pick up and acceleration blow me away when overtaking. This car is comfortable and a pleasure to drive and own. I have had it 12 months and done 45,000kms and loved driving every k!
Mercedes as always offers a fairly simple and sensible instrument cluster, so that everything is to hand, unlike some other manufacturers who seem to give a busy display and a handful of levers and tonne of buttons!
For us, this car is a bit of an extravagance, however for the peace of mind for safety of our family (3 small children), fuel efficiency and the comfort of the drive, it is well worth it.
We all love this car. Since it's really the base of the 'true' Mercs, I look at the new M and wonder how amazing it must be to drive!
Fuel efficiency for size. Drive. Comfort.
If I have to say one thing, it's that the fuel efficiency is slightly higher than the touted 5.4L/km. I do lots of distance driving and mine is at 5.7L/km.

BadgeC200 CDI

2002 Mercedes-Benz C180 Kompressor

It's a great car for 2002! Plenty of power (being that it is a Kompressor) had some problems but it's great! Very solid & strong but the MB is very smooth on the road, I don't know if that's just because it's a "Kompressor" but it is very very smooth. Scored 5 stars (ANCAP) which is great for 2002 and still up to today's standards!
Safe, luxurious, reliable
Bad fuel economy

BadgeC180 Kompressor
BodySedan

Solid cruiser, built well, suspension is designed for comfort

Solid cruiser, built well, suspension is designed for comfort, not sporty driving. Too much body roll compared to the newer W204 which we always had during service. Bought it as MB Approved pre-owned, which came with 2-yr factory warranty (excluding interior). Engine timing chain came lose when car was 6-yrs old (90k kms), and this was fixed under warranty. It is a known issue with the M271 engine. Transmission could have an extra gear for better millage on longer trips. Had the car for 2-years (which is the average time before we change car) and did about 28k during this period. Overall, a great car from its era and would recommend a proper check before buying one. As they are fairly inexpensive now, go with an 05-06 model as they are likely to have less issues.
The badge, solid feel
Expensive options when new, hence pretty hard to find one with more options than stock

Total Waste Of Money

It was a great car for about two years.
After that it started falling apart and cost a fortune to repair.
I have had many makes of car but have never been so disappointed as I have been with this one.
Both the passenger and drives internal handles have fallen off and we have to close doors using the pockets underneath.
Do yourselves a favour. Don't waste your money.
Great power to get you out of trouble.
Far too expensive to service or repair.

BadgeC180

Perfection

I have owned my 2011 C250 for a year now, and can't complain about a thing. Great car, good looking, reliable, comfortable, luxurious, safe and quiet. It still surprises me how much power the turbo 1.8 litre has, but how little fuel it uses, especially on the highway. I have had it serviced and they did a wonderful job, and also fixed a small squeak from the dashboard under warranty. Mine is fitted with the Driver Assistance Package, and I really would recommend to anyone who is buying one to option this. Once experienced it truly is something you can't live without. My Mercedes not only makes me feel safe and comfortable, but special too.
Looks great, safe, reliable, luxurious.
Front seats a bit flat, small squeak from dash (fixed under warranty), HK sound system overrated.

I have a2007 cdi220 merc un real power .5.5 to 6.5 lit per klm