Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class X253

Great car to drive

I purchased this SUV a a replacement for my previous one.
This car is a pleasure to drive.
The interior is very stylish and comfortable.
I often drive to Sydney on the M1 and always arrive relaxed.
I would recommend a GLC to anyone wanting a great SUV in the future.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
DriveAWD

Severe Tyre Skipping....

Great car, however....
The car has developed after only 5000km a severe tyre skipping, after only 8000km the dealer told me the tyres are worn and I should change it. The skipping is so bad, that passenger feel unsafe and people turn heads. The tyre skipping happens when you steer sharp and at low speeds, for example into a parking lot. Mercedes says it is a characteristic of the car and nothing wrong with it! Not aaceptable for a $120k. GLC43

BadgeGLC43
Drive4WD

GLC43 perfect allrounder

GLC43 "AMG-lite" I use this to commute daily to work and all the family duties expected of a SUV. Great performance handling and noise in sport + mode. On the other hand when I am just cruising comfort and eco mode it provides a nice relaxed ride so the car has exceeded all my expectations. 18 months old now and 20,000kms and no problems. The front tyres were replaced free of charge due to the skipping, judder, crabbing issue which is a design 'feature', this fix has reduced the problem but not removed it.

2 year update (Apr-19):
This car goes through front tyres very fast. Dealer replaced front tyres for free at 9,000km and the tread looked low when replaced. The car is now at 24000kms so the front tyres have done 15,000kms on this set and I think I'll need to replace the front tyres well before 29000kms, that less than 20,000kms of usage on the front tyres, surprisingly the rear tyres are great, plenty of tread.
Car is still fantastic to drive and own. A nice cruiser and great sprinter in one (Jekyll and Hyde characters). Good size to carry family or work colleagues without feeling big. Plan to own the car for another 2 years before selling at the 4 year old mark. Audi has always had the SQ5 and BMW recently bought out the X3 M40i so I think these cars are the sweet spot in the range.

Purchased in March 2017 at Mercedes-Benz Dealers for $107,000.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Love my Car

Was never a car person until I purchased this vehicle. Pleasure to drive....9 speed auto does the job in the city don't need anything else. Radar cruise control is one of the better features when on the open road. All the safety warnings you will need.
Bring on my next Merc......

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Mercedes GLC250 all wheel drive

A B200 was replaced by aGLC250. The higher seating position is very comfortable for long drives. The vehicle has a lot of inbuilt safety features including front and rear cameras for safer driving. The GPS is great for navigating and the intelligent lights are excellent as is the air conditioning. The keyless entry is very helpful when shopping. The trunk holds all sorts of things and with seats folded curtain rods and building needs can fit. It is proving to be an excellent choice.

Badge0
LineBlueEFFICIENCY Elegance
BodyWagon
Date PurchasedMay 2018
BadgeGLC250

As good as I could wish for

My GLC 250d (X253) AMG line is one of the 1st of the SUV model's in Australia, as it was built in late 2015. Hyacinth Red in colour, it has a sun roof, paddles, AMG brakes and all of the bells and whistles, except heated front seats. The rims are AMG 20" 14 spoke, shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde 255/45R20 101W (Mercedes run flat tyres). As I live in country NSW and I'm a considerable distance from my nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership, I asked for and was supplied a MB jack, as no spare came with the SUV (separately purchased a 20" rim & tyre as a spare, that is carried when driving to country towns, not near any MB dealership). Having read some reviews prior to purchase and a number of reviews both negative and positive since purchase, I thought it was time to include my thoughts. Overall I'm extremely pleased with the ride, performance, interior operation of all the bells and whistles such as, heads up display (HUD), auto parking, cruise control and other types of gizmo's my SUV comes with.

If there is an issue, it relates to the Garmin map, which when updated (when serviced) is still never up to date (a highway intersection located within 100kms of home, that changed an intersection with a main road, to a location about 5kms away about 15yrs ago, remains incorrectly positioned). I use my TomTom (updated every week & is up to date), whilst I have included an Uniden iGO80 dash cam, to the front screen. Having driven in excess of 25,000km visiting Brisbane & Sydney (numerous visits), Canberra & Melbourne, it is currently operating at 5.9Lt/100km, (I drive a separate car for running around town). As the SUV runs the same size tyres all round (GLC350d has different front/rear tyres), I'm able to rotate the tyres every 8,000 to 10,000kms. The tyres appear to be wearing evenly, whilst I've not had any issues, nor have I experienced the noise/shuddering, when turning hard left or right that some reviewing drivers have complained about. I'm expecting to get at least 35,000kms+ from the tyres, barring a puncture, etc. The SUV is also fitted with the outside aluminium steps, which I have become used to entering / exiting the cabin.

On reflection they save a large amount of stone damage to both sides of the SUV, as I've seen models without the side steps and no mud flaps that have stone damage to the lower sides of the cabin. In particular I'm pleased that Mercedes Benz supplied the GLC 220d/250d/250 with the same size tyres front and rear. I have friends both in Australia and England that have experienced a major issue with a well know branded vehicle (different models), that are all wheel drive, but due to different sized front and rear tyres, they: (1) cannot be rotated front to back or vice versa; and (2) if replacing a worn front tyre due to wear or if a single tyre is nailed, all remaining tyres have need to be replaced, due to the front and rear circumference variations then causing an issue with the all wheel drive transmission, i.e As in the case of a friend whose tyre variation was 3mm, when 1 tyre need replacing, then all tyres had to be replaced. Have not seen people express concerns about this issue, when reviews are written on these or similar vehicles.
Update to published review - My GLC250d now has covered 32,000Kms. No issues experienced, whilst still running the original tyres that have worn evenly and remained an excellent tyre. No issues with tyre noise/shuddering on turning, though never a need for full lock turning. Diesel fuel average fluctuates between 5.6 & 5.7 Lt/100km, which has been outstanding. Discovered the additional rear carrying space with the extensions arms that fold up/down to have the rear seats sitting higher and to allow more carrying room in the rear. My handsfree is with an Apple mobile and has worked well without any issues.

Badge250d
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Great car

Car drives well, performance is great. The drive is smooth. We mostly use for City driving and have had no issues. It is a big car, so takes a bit of getting used to when parking. Also doesn't trigger park assist as often as our previous A class.

Very roomy on the inside, which is just what we need. Can fit car seat + 2 adults, though admittedly a but tight. The look and feel of the dash and seats screams luxury.

The only negative for me is no Android auto, even though this is available in other Mercedes cars, just not the GLC.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

The test drive I did.. the front tyre skip

I was interested in this car and then I did a test drive on a wet and cold June day.

Whilst I was doing a U turn, the front tyre clonk and clonk. It was very loud inside the cabin. The Mercedes sales person in the car told me it is a characteristic of the car. When someone say this behaviour is a characteristic of the car then you know it is B...S...

Later I found out they knew about the problem and they termed it Tyre Skipping. I heard that they are asking customers to sign waiver before they take delivery of the vehicle.

The variant that we test drove was GLC43 but apparently it can happen in all Right Hand Drive GLC. It only happens when tyre grip is marginal....think wet, cold, smooth concrete surface...

Other than that, I have to say the car is great. Great value for money. But this characteristic does mean I wont be placing an order.

BadgeGLC43
Date PurchasedJun 2017

German engineering at its best

This is the wife's car and she absolutely loves it. Easy car to drive, handles very well for a car of its size. Luxurious in and out, interior is really premium and best in class, easily trumping the Q5, X3, NX200, Discovery Sport in my opinion. Only negative is the GPS which is cumbersome and slow.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Had it for 1 year

Ordered beginning of last year - had it for just a bit over a year now.
It is very easy to drive. A lot of the new features that I am still learning.
I loved everything about this car except the auto parking system, which can be a little bit scary sometimes

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Just simply perfect!!

Saw it and love it! Ordered on mi May 2017, lucky enough to get it first week of June from Mercedes-Benz Sydney Alexandria (Stephan Werner).
Easy to drive, lots of power, luxury feels in and out. I got it fully option ( COMAND pack, seat comfort, vision, AMG and night pack). Very smooth, very good driving around in the city, took a drive to Goulburn (200km out of Sydney) and tried the Distronic Plus which the car drive and stop by it self. The only thing is the fuel consumption is around 10-11/100km, but again with that sort of car you will expect that. Love it!

Updating review after 2 years of use

Mercedes customer service is questionable .when car has problem they make you feel like you don’t know what you talking about .glc has a problem when you full lock the steering but no one going to fix it . They refuse to update navigation map .after asking few times December 2018 they gave me 2017 map .

Down below was my previous review

Performance , handling can't fault it . Command system is bit funny .could be better .Touch screen would be ideal.but car it self is just awesome .I have got 250d . I dont really feel the he turbo lag. Which is awesome. Interior feels luxury .One thing I really like when you get optioned up it does not cost crazy like Audi, BMW or Jaguar .I bought alll the optional extras and enjoying them .Specialy sound system and Panasonic sunroof . AMG like package give a good look .love the drive assistance package . Make it ease when I go for long drive .i have waited 7 months for this car and it was worth it .bought it from Peter warren Mercedes Warwick farm . Sales man Mr Yuki ren made the transaction seamless.

Purchased in June 2016 at Peter Warren Automotive.

Noise Level
Features
Comfort

Mercedes benz GLC 250d 2016

I bought Mercedes GLC 250d, so far 3000km
The built, I am happy, it is quiet in cabin though a bit of wind noise when driving freeway.
9 speed auto is smooth,
power and acceleration is great- I mean it is above enough to get you ahead of traffic.
fuel economy is good.
steering is smooth.
I have the upgraded speakers- which is awesome- clear crisp.
Dash of quality, leg room is great for that size
Great for city and country drive
Remember it is a luxury car, so you are in good hand of a Mercedes.

CONS- getting out of the vehicle as a driver pretty difficult, the step side bar gets in the way, so you have to reach out.
CD player is a useless tool
need to improvise on where to put your iPhone Plus when driving
For some reason when you drive in heavy rain with flood on road, the front 20 inch tyres will splash water on your own windscreen.
( These a first world problems) so small problem, just minor issues

Running cost - is a bit to early to say, so will update when I make decent KM

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Almost perfect

Purchased my Glc250 petrol pre launch so had no idea how the car would look and real life but when I saw it at the launch I was very pleased. I ordered my car with AMG line, vision pack and command pack. Wasn't a fan of the heated seats and since I was the only one driving this I didn't see the need for the comfort pack. The extra $3000 for the premium diamond white was definitely worth it to me as the car shines like silk crystals in the right light. Finally got my car in April this year after a good 6 month+ wait.

No matter where you look in side and out its quality built like a merc should be. The engine is smooth and very responsive, sharp enough around the bends with the flick of a switch to sports /sports plus mode the car's behavior changes completely and becomes even more fun to drive.

The command pack upgrades the sound system and i think it's a must have, even if you don't op for the AMG line which up sizes the wheels which makes the car a little bumpier on rough roads. Vision pack is nice if you want to bring a little sun shine into the cabin and heads up display makes speed monitoring and navigation easier but display becomes near impossible to see if you have polorised sunnys on.

Only complaint is the media/center control is a little awkward. You have to keep turning the silly thing back and forwards to get the right letter. The touch screen in my wife's xtrial is much easier to navigate.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Beautifully finished and well appointed

We're lucky enough to have ordered a GLC 250D quite early and took delivery in May 2016. First impressions were great, gorgeous colour (tenorite grey), packed with options as standard, wonderful fuel economy (it's September and have filled it 5 times since we took delivery in May ~4.5k kms), and the engine is quiet and punchy. We ordered the extra vision, and sound pack and got it for 76k drive away which is pretty amazing considering what you get. The car has every safety feature you could think of plus it pretty well drives itself. Controls are easy to reach and use - though I can't find where to adjust the HUD angle - voice recognition is seamless (for the most part) and the sound and ride quality is second to none. The only reason not giving it 5 stars is there is wind noise on the freeway from the right side mirror or window - it's a known design flaw - which you would not expect from a Merc and is annoying enough to cost a star.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

GLC-Class X253 GLC 200GLC-Class X253 GLC 250GLC-Class X253 GLC 250 dGLC-Class X253 GLC 350 dGLC-Class X253 GLC 43GLC-Class X253 GLC 63 SGLC-Class X253 GLC 220 d
Starting Price $68,492$79,246$81,677$100,242$113,934$178,619
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeRear Wheel Drive (RWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolDieselDieselPetrolPetrolDiesel
Wheels19" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy21" Alloy21" Alloy19" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars
Doors5555555
Seats5555555
Fuel Consumption7.2L/100km7.2L/100km5.7L/100km6.3L/100km8.8L/100km10.9L/100km5.6L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L66 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.0L4 Cylinder, 2.1L6 Cylinder, 3.0L6 Cylinder, 3.0L8 Cylinder, 4.0L4 Cylinder, 2.1L
Max Power135kW@5500rpm155kW@5500rpm150kW@3800rpm190kW@3400rpm270kW@6000rpm375kW@6250rpm125kW@4200rpm
Max Torque300Nm@1200-4000rpm350Nm@1200-4000rpm500Nm@1600-1800rpm620Nm@1600-2400rpm520Nm@2500-4500rpm700Nm@1750-4500rpm400Nm@1400-2800rpm
Country of ManufactureGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyGermany
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure Monitor
Extra Features 360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer and USB Port360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry and USB Port360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry and USB Port360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Seats, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Parking Assist, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Seats, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, USB Port and Voice Control
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateSep 2018Sep 2015Sep 2015Jan 2017Jan 2016Jan 2017Sep 2015