Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class

Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class

M-Class W164, GLE-Class W166, GLE-Class C292, etc...

See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Andrew

AndrewDarling Downs, QLD

A great vehicle but keep up to date with recalls & service and theres a lot on line about these vehicles (settings etc)

There is a recall for the ACS hydraulic reservoir located front left with Bonnet open ( stability control with air suspension ) but is more to it than replacing dipstick as air would have got into the system and therefor like any hydraulic system needs to be bled out and then also seals checked ..push dealer fix properly
Is worth the effort to get to know your MB and the oil and filter types and codes to do some basic maintenance yourself if you inclined and off to a dealer once a year .. unless you flushed with cash the dealer can do all ..!

Purchased in September 2019.

BoughtUsed
Year2013

Darryl M.Perth, WA

Great car, pity about the smell.

Had the smelly aircon, Dealer said it was not their problem. I took out the internal filters and let the windows down when parked up in garage. This smell only happens in summer, otherwise I love this car.

Purchased in April 2018 for $85,000.00.

BoughtNew
Year2017

IntegrityIsFreeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Too many product failures.

Purchased in August 2014.

BoughtNew
Year2014
IntegrityIsFree

Clarification: The warranty period was 3 years. The problems started to occur just outside of the 3 year time frame.

garyradleyAU

Best car I have ever owned.

BadgeML250
Date PurchasedNov 2015
Drive4WD

TomSydney, NSW

Awesome family car!

Honestly the nicest SUV to drive, driven everyday with two kids under 5.
Really fuel efficient, even around town. Purchased as a used vehicle from a Mercedes-Benz dealership. The 2 year warranty was a bonus. The only issue we have had was the AdBlue heating element. Luckily warranty covered the costs. Only negative is the brakes and tyres ware quicker than normal, but it’s expected with SUV’s.
Holding out for the new GLE with the third row option. Recommended highly for someone in the market for a family vehicle, super safe and drives amazingly.

BadgeML250
LineBlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sports
DriveAWD

Liem

LiemBrisbane

Disappointing and problem prone car

BadgeGLE 250 d 4MATIC
LineD

Peter

PeterRichmond-Tweed, NSW

Great car all round, including brilliant for caravan towing

BadgeML350
LineDesigno
Date PurchasedDec 2014

_shane

_shaneGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

A great car now even better

We had the previous ML250 which was a great car, it had a few warranty issues that were fixed outside of warranty (thank you Mercedes). The GLE 2017 is noticeably smoother and seems more powerful down the lower gears thanks to the new 9 speed transmission. The updates with tech and safety which include collision alert and lane departure are a major improvement. As always, the fit and finish, quality carpets and plastics and thick paint are what you pay for. You may pay more upfront but this is reflected in resale. All these attributes is what keeps consumers coming back.

BadgeGLE 250 d 4MATIC

Peter L.Brisbane

Fantastic AWD!

Purchased in May 2013.

BoughtUsed
Year2008
M price

M price

Great car would buy again

We had the ml amg for around three years till we trade in.
We found the car perfect for our family of 4.
Performance amazing and the handling to match.
Fuel little heavy but as expected.
We always felt safe and secure in the ml and that's why we purchased.
Should of had a touch screen as others car had but didn't.
The heated seats where great with the option to turn on wife's seat on a hot day.
Tyres expensive and rims protruding tyres are never a good idea.
I would buy again even with the above minor things.
Didn't purchase new shape as don't like the coupe look.
Matt.

BadgeML63
LineAMG Sports

jackie

jackieVictoria

Reversing sensor not working properly at all

I bought new GLE 350D, which is new model of ML350D. Everything is great, except reversing radar. The sensors don't beep until one inch close to object, which is too late. I rang the Mercedes and brought car back. They simple say all fine, that is what they are like in Mercedes. Unbelievable.

LineSports Luxury
TransmissionAutomatic

Love the comforts like heated seats, torque, handles well. Down side easy to forget the stalks on th

Great car, handles well, love the heated seats, very powerful, looks good. Downside easy to forget the stalks on the right near the steering wheel are gears not indicators especially if you're on the freeway doing 100 km and you indicate left it puts car in neutral. Bluetooth can't connect to music on iPhone need to buy special adaptor.Software in car out dated.

BadgeML 300 CDI

LineBlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sports
Sam

SamGold Coast

ML 350 4matic 'engine diagnosis' problem

Got a new ML 350 4matic in 2013. Running really smooth in a year. After the first service, have 'engine diagnosis' light on and run really rough. Went to dealer, told me it is petrol problem even I put in #98 from Shell or Caltex. Dealer reset the code and let me go. Unfortunately, this happened 3 times in a month. Dealer still complains the dirty petrol.
Running smooth.
Bad service

BadgeML 350

dogbertWestern Australia, 6110

The benchmark in luxurous SUV

BadgeML 250

amayzen19NSW, 2290

ML 320 CDI

Great SUV. You have class, power and mid size room.(prado size)
You feel safe punching along at 110kmh+ on most roads. Great features. This one had the distronic cruise control (radar) that slows you down with the brake to keep pace with traffic and then speed you back up when the obsticle is gone. Heaps of gadgets that work well. GPS system is spot on. Rear boot area is a good size.
Cant fault the engineering.

Options are where they get you on a new purchase. Options are too hexy.

BadgeML 320 CDI
nannycallipan
nannycallipan
Melbourne_3000
Melbourne_3000

Good

Overall we're happy with the 500 and we just bought a smaller B200 for my wife to scoot around in. Mercedes has been a nice change in out lives. I have not gone off road with it but it does not seem like it was really built for it even though it is considered to be an SUV.
Nice handling, the wipers come on automatically when it starts raining (this surprised me LOL) very comfortable and heated seats. Came with a decent Benz golf bag! Very good looking set of wheels - comfort and class.
The key/door unlocker only works from a short distance. For some reason I cant figure out how to set the phone system up to work with my mobile - I wasn't given any instruction from the dealer.

BadgeML 500

Mercedes Benz ML 320 CDI

The Mercedes ML 320 CDI is an outstanding SUV. Its so smooth to ride in, it has great economy. 8.4 to 9.4 on the highway & around town. Tyres are expensive, especially 18inches but its a Mercedes.
The turning circle is unbelievable for an all wheel drive, park assist, the heating and A/C perform very well.

BadgeML 320 CDI
amayzen19

I put 20 inch rims on it as the 19s on it are expensive to re tyre in Australia. tyres last 25-30 000 kms std

Bayer1
Bayer1

I done 50000 km on my tyres (2 years dirving) I think it was good achivement after I read your coments

PJ Maynardasked

I have a Mercedes GLE250d, 2017. Have had a smell come through the car 6 months ago, had the internal air conditioning filter replaced. The smell has returned (it's Spring now) and the dealer is charging me $500 to repair, saying it's not covered under warranty. They are replacing the internal and external filters as well as cleaning the whole system out. How is this normal for a car that is 2 years old and why is this not covered under Warranty?

IntegrityIsFree

If you car is within the warranty period, then, its a warranty repair.

PJ Maynard

Ive had to pay for it to have inside and outside air filters replaced (they are consumables) and for the liquid to destroy bacteria in the cats air con.
I dont trust the dealership where I take my car, which is where I bought it from on the North side of Sydney. I wont be buying a Mercedes again, very poor service and they dont just service, they up sell is all. So disappointed with Mercedes. Their customer service sucks, honesty and integrity is questionable and care factor from service staff, once you drive away with the car, is zero.

Darryl M.

This is a common problem with a lot of vehicles. It is caused by the carbon filter not allowing air to circulate after the vehicle is turned off. You can either open windows when the car is parked or turn the AC off a few minutes before you park up to dry out the AC element. I have taken the carbon filters out and left the outer filter in place. If you have the smell you should also take these carbon filters out a spray into the fan ( from the engine bay) with Glen 20, do not turn the fan on, just leave it sit for 12 hrs, this should kill the bacteria on the element.
Hope this helps. Just remember the element ( looks like a heat exchanger. google it) gets wet and this is like leaving a wet towel in a locker if the air doesn't circulate.

MBOasked

Question for Mercedes Benz representatives:
Why won't anyone at MB provide a genuine response to customer feedback? (or respond at all?)
I have been told numerous times over the years that the problems I have presented are the 'first time' / 'they haven't had these issues before'... clearly that is untrue based on the content of the reports included in the reviews.
Refer my review at which provides context: https://www.productreview.com.au/reviews/a4d31e7a-b8ec-4cd0-90d4-ba28affeb7a5
Perhaps it is time to head down to the dealership on a weekend and seek some answers.

garyradley

Can only comment on my experience which has been no problems at all.

MBO

Thank you for your response. My review is based on experience relevant to the GLE250 not ML Are you a Mercedes Benz representative?

Tom

Hello, what has actually been happening?
I’m not really a representative, but I have worked on Mercedes-Benz’s for over 10 years ( Dealership trained )

dogbertasked

Hi, anyone with a 6 year old W164 model? I would like to hear if there were issues with it post warranty. And what the servicing costs might be. Thanks lots.

Hi dogbert,
I have a W164 which is a 2005 model 320 CDI and I have had about 30 cars in my life so I had plenty of experience and this is the best car I have ever owned. It's now done 160,000 klm and the only issue I have had was with the stability control when censer in the front left wheel failed. It's so good on fuel, on long trips I get 8.5 to 9 litres per 100 k and around town about 10. It's so powerful and comfortable.
I just love to drive it. The servicing varies depending where you get it done. I like to have mine connected to the Mercedes Benz computer for accurate readouts so it cost me between $400 to $800 but that's about every 15,000 k.
If buying a secondhand one get it inspected independently.
Good luck.

dogbert

Thanks domie48 for the response. It's good to know your experience with yours.

amayzen19

Awesome car. I have an 08 ml320 cdi Other then filters, I only ever needed new glow plugs in mine as some had failed. If you find it taking longer to start on cold mornings, this is more then likely the issue. I replaced them my self for under $300.00, Thats the only issue since new. If you do glow plugs yourself be careful removing them as some my be seized (wd40 and warm engine req.) and too much torque on the spanner can $hear them off.

Get an answer from our members and Mercedes-Benz representatives