1999-2004 Mercedes-Benz MB100D

1999-2004 Mercedes-Benz MB100D

See the Best Vans in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Mercedes-Benz? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

2.8

Me and Freddie Merc.

It's a bit noisy. Its very reliable. Easy to drive. Gear changes OK. Easy to park and manouver . Made into a camper plenty of room. Needs lining inside as it gets cold at nights. Drove it to Alice Springs and didn't have any troubles. Diesel powered. I quite liked it. Called it Freddie.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
    paul
    paulhowrah tasmania

Overall a good campervan!

the 2.3litre diesel was way underpowered, the 2.9 in the MB 140D much better,but i bought the 2000 MB140 petrol in 2002, which drank more but had more power, especialy on 95 octane.despite the extra cost, you really should use 95 octane as it improved the fuel consumption too. sold it about 6 years later. the only problem was the inaccurate petrol guage- which mercedes replaced under warranty, but it was still a bit inaccurate. Overall a good camper, ( made by sanyong in korea,although serviced by mercedes}.

Date PurchasedFeb 2000

Cheap but solid

Made my Mercide 100D 2000 made into a camper van. Watertanks stove fridge etc. Done several trips all over Australia. I agree the gears are a poor design and the diesel engine is noisy but it has never let me down. Beginning to show some wear and tear now. I always service the engine when due. It was much cheaper than the Toyota van.

Date PurchasedFeb 2002
    Barnyardgambler
    Barnyardgambler

Not many positives

Vans

Find out how 1999-2004 Mercedes-Benz MB100D compares to other Vans

Great work horse

Still going strong 250k +, great work horse, good room in the back for camper or tools, syncro mesh a bit sticky at times if change gear too quickly, bit noisy in cab but all round a very good van, keep the 10k service going and all should be good for many years.

Diamond
    DiamondBrisbane Australia

Very good van

I have my mb100 about 5 years doing over 5,000k every month never had any problem with it , its a bit noisy but its good van in general, all you have to do is use good quality oile every 10,000k n you got nothing to worry about

ray
    raySouth East Queensland, QLD

MB100D = Austin Allegro

This van is bad, I bought it second hand about 4 months ago and it been in the garage 3 times. Its a 2002 model, its long which is good, but rear door is too low. The electrics on this one are terrible and I find it noisy and first and second gears are hard to engage. I have deliveries to do each morning and stress that something else will go wrong with it each day, it could just be this van, but read the other reviews. I owned an Austin Allegro in the UK a while ago and these two vehicles belong in the same place, a Scrapyard.
    Its a van
    Electrics, gear box, rear door too low and noisy

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.
    Clara V.15 Nov 2021
    smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales
    Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
    Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
    our-latest-expert-car-reviews

no issues

had mine for over 2 years and it has had n o dramas. it is little noisy for a diesel but it Does a good job and is suited to trade people. larger than most vans and the extra space is valuable. for the price I think these vans are worth considering
    fuel efficient, power
    Loud engine

Transmissionmanual

Terrible

Vans

Find out how 1999-2004 Mercedes-Benz MB100D compares to other Vans

Terrible

I wish I had read these reviews before purchasing the MB100d. We actually purchased it becuase it had low mileage and refrigeration (intsalled by previous owner). But I have also had a gearbox failure and clutch replaced at 100k. Unable to get a fuel pump mod to reduce noise of engine as parts are no longer supplied. I wouldn't be recommending this van to anyone after my experience and reviews of a simlar experience.
    comfortable to drive
    very noisy. have had continual issue with gears. can no longer get replacement parts

cutitrite
    cutitrite

My 2001 MB100D never let me down and I use it hard for building work, I have heard that you must use good oils for it to last.