Mercedes-Benz Sprinter

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (2006-2021)

Also referred to as: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2020 and Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2022. NCV3, T1N, VS30
See the Best Vans in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Mercedes-Benz? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Comfort
  • Features

Darren G.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Tronic transmission

What a POS. Every 100-120k these gearboxes just collapse. Do transmission specialists want to touch them because they are a Cee You Next Tuesday of a gearbox. Average cost of repair (quoted on phone by Mercedes) $3000-$4000. Trying to find someone who will swap out the auto-tronic gearbox for a clutch and shift 5 or 6 speed box. At least you know that around $50k-75k you swap out the clutch kit for a set price. These horrible gearboxes are only still used by Renault. We bought this Winnebago Sprinter not that long ago. Should have done our homework a little better. If you're thinking of buying one of these don't buy an automatic. A nightmare waiting to happen is how I'd describe the design.

Purchased in March 2019 for $65,000.00.

Martin
MartinSouth East Queensland, QLD

Mercedes Sprinter Van

My god, I have never had as much trouble with a vehicle in all my life . Ihave spent $$$$ and $$$$$ when the computer said this was wrong, you'd replace that then something else would show. In the end Mercedes still couldn't get it to start and after all the money I have spent says it now needs a engine rebuild. You expect more from a vehicle that has done 300k kilometres. Stay away from this brand.

Purchased in February 2016 for $10,000.00.

DavoMoffat Beach

Limp Mode

Purchased at Cricks maroochdore.

jack
jack

Absolute p.o.s.a death trap.

fuel economy ok.but cant make use of it because it breaks down consistently.seatings good.driving position & glass ok.entry exits ok steering circle good.heating.air con good.my view on this vehicle is dont buy one ! You will go bankrupt paying dealers to delete codes that pop up for no reason but put the van into limp mode or worse into neutral in the middle of the road.merc benz should be sued!!!

Badge515CDI
Date PurchasedAug 2017

New Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 Clunks like a Junker

my preordered optioned out $$$ 2016 sprinter 4x4 developed Terrible drivetrain clunk's after 10,000 kms
Took it in 3 times to 2 dealerships and was told it was normal after break in period by both dealerships including the regional sales manager because Mercedes engineering told them so over the phone.
Thanks a lot for the fuhk around! I feel like a whipped dog after this humiliating experience and tremendous waste of time, patience and money. And yes its that bad.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
flatout
flatoutMontreal

Two engines in and two engines blown. What a joke.

Badge416CDI
Date PurchasedMay 2016

stop building intimidating vehicles its sadistic for no reason other than conseet because its a merc

handles ok, interior ok, very bad sound system. can be a reliable vehicle if computer wasnt set up to drag you to the dealer every other day.your identification in badge section is for engineers not us! when working on these vehicle trying to tell the scanner what your working on is difficult.

Badge318CDI
Date PurchasedOct 2012

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews

Broke down again no one with knowledge to fix in akaska.

Driving fine. InterI or fine. Running cost good milage. This has been a money pit. Repair....repair. ...repair! Shame on mercedes and dodge. Resonator. Electrical. Transmission. Much more. Every trip was a tow. Every trip was hotels. The worst is the No one is experienced to fix it. Had to fly home from alaska and return and still not ready.

WheelbaseMedium
Date PurchasedSept 2009
Seamus
SeamusIllawarra, NSW

Man in Van for a Day

Badge313CDI
Date PurchasedMar 2016

Find out how Mercedes-Benz Sprinter compares to other Vans

We are finished with Mercedes - Benz Sprinters!!

Badge3l6cyl
Date PurchasedApr 2015
DavoMoffat Beach

We all though Mercedes Benz meant quality!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Badge316CDI ELWB
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJan 2012
Davo

Mercedes customers demand that firm (Mercedes Australia) come clean over Engine & Body faults. We demand you come clean!!!!.

Danny
DannyWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Dont buy a second hand Sprinter.

Poor Quality

Dennis M
Dennis Moshkosh

junk

Shortly after buy started having problems, def light coming on, they say that was normal, didn't matter if the fluid was full or not. Just replaced particulate filter $2400, cdi computer box. $2200, engine light stays on they want $1000 to fix it but I can drive with it on. Don't buy or you'll be sorry

2004 mercedez sprinter long wheel base

I had bought a 2004 mercedez benz sprinter ran wheel for a while but fuse blew on me twice change then sense a smell near computer took it too mercedez dealer and advise me they charge $170 and hour it took them 2 hours to check what was wrong with it I advised the Macanic that I had smelt like I may had blown the engine but so far up for $340 then he had told me that blown computer and advised me that I'm up to near $3000 dollars $2600 for new computer and $340 labour so far haven't gotton van back yet but I'm just not to happy ATM if anybody nose anything about this please contact me on 0415780953 I just don't believe $170 hour for labour is exceptable

James
Jamesasked
Sprinter (2006-2021)

I have a 2013 ex ambo and need to purchase running boards
they come in long/short packs but as i have both drivers and passenger sliding doors i will need a long/long
pack.
what are the best & worst running boards out there,i am located in Canberra

martinasked
Sprinter (2006-2021)

21 reviews above are ng for automatic transmissions
Is auto still a problem ? And would a manual be a better choice for reliability in a motorhome

Darren G.

YES! You will thank yourself in the long run. The automatic boxes give out with little prior notice. If you can find one get the workshop manual off ebay in a disc form (about $10) then look at the exploded view of the automatic gearbox compared to the manual. The auto when they fail are expensive as hell to fix. Manuals will run like the engine if treated well. All you'll need is the usual clutch replacement when needed which a normal mechanic can do. The autos need to be taken into a Mercedes-Benz service centre. It actually works out cheaper. Don't even bother searching for a local mechanic to work on the auto. You will end up getting ripped off. We took it to a place in North Ringwood on Dorset Rd. I won't name and shame the guy (even though he deserves it). Quoted over $9000.00 and would give no guaranteeon his work. We took it to Mercedes-Benz in Berwick under half the price with a 3yr or 50,000km guarantee on the gearbox.

Shell D.
Shell D.

Loved the manual

martin

THANKS ...will look for manual transmission gearbox!! did merc dealership say if the auto gearbox problem was quality issue (usa built ) or design
ie service must be strictly adhered to?.....most blogs indicate hi mileage approx 1000000 miles and over

Reuben
Reubenasked
Sprinter T1N (1995-2006)

Hi there,
I have a 1999 Sprinter with a 2.9L diesel engine and 5 speed manual gearbox.The turn signals were working fine then all of a sudden stopped so did the hazards. Can someone please tell me where is the flasher relay located so I can test/replace it. I had a look under the steering colum(where the fuses are)and under the driver's seat with no luck.
Much appreciated.

See all Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (2006-2021) questions

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (2006-2021)

Compare all 3 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (2006-2021)
CategoryVansVansVans
Release dateFeb 2018Jan 1995Jan 2006
Discontinuation dateDec 2006Jan 2018
Compare all 3 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (2006-2021)