Mercedes-Benz Vito

Mercedes-Benz Vito Questions & Answers (page 2 of 2)

W639.I, W638, W639.II, V-Class W447.I
Brand Manager for Mercedes-Benz? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

33 questions from our users

Jameson C
Jameson Casked
Vito W638 (1996-2003)

HELP.. anyone got any ideas about an oil leak on/under motor? Cant see any leaks from looking at motor. It looks clean. Up on hoist 'IT' appears to be coming from drivers side side upper motor area. But can see oil but cant find leak. Head. Sump etc all look clean but CANT FIND leak.. HELP..!

Ideal mick
Ideal mick

Is it a motor leak or gear box? Make sure it's comming from motor first

Lennie
Lennieasked
Vito

How much horse power does it have?

Brenda

sorry can't answer , but has enough pickup to suit my needs

Bob
Bob

About 120 kW is the power rating of my Vito - probably drops to about 70 when the turbo fails to activate which is on most hot days.

Phyl.asked
Vito

Is it a real expensive buy when the Merc. requires a service and are parts very expensive, would love to know and appreciate replies please? We are looking at 2012 MERCEDES-BENZ VITO 113CDI SWB which has the ramp for mobility scooter.

albertp

This is my second merc, the first one was a 260E sedan I bought from 1990 to 2002. the service charges of both were never cheap. The first one had average service costs of almost $1000 per service, and that was never for any repairs, just service items only. The Vito was serviced by the dealer only in its first year. Thereafter I did my own servicing due to high costs. All mercy are expensive to service from its dealers. Good luck

Brenda

if you take it to a Mercedes dealer for servicing or faults yes it will cost you an arm and a leg but if you have a trusted person servicing your car now he would manage fine except for a few areas which may need the help of a European car repairer who would not be cheap but not as expensive as Mercedes., touch wood if you purchase one that has been looked after you won't have much trouble anyway

Phyl.

Really appeciate the replies. Thank you Albertp and Brenda.

Gerreasked
Vito W638 (1996-2003)

If the ecu is in front of the steering, what computer is behind the passenger headlight? I tought that was the ecu. It has aserial number on it : 021 545 39 32.
I can not find technical books that tell me what part is where. Do you Have an idea?

albertp

The ECU is not in front of the steer wheel. Just the display unit.i don't know what that is. Sorry

Brenda

I just had my ecu repaired and its behind dash at the base of the steering column, what is behind the headlight is unknown to me..sorry

Gerre

It seems that I was looking for the wrong part all this time. I have problems with my automatic gearbox. And instead of looking for the Transmission Control Modul (TCU) I was looking for an ECU (Engine Control Unit) .

clarke
clarkeasked
Vito W638 (1996-2003)

My speedo stopped working recently in my 2001 vito 110cdi petrol. The odometer (milage counter) still works but the KM/h doesn't.
Can you anyone know if it is just the dashboard cluster (instruments) that have failed.

albertp

The speedometer is electronically connected via cables shindig the whole unit. So either that is dead or the sender which supplies rpm info to it is mechanically dead near its supply source. I don't know where it picks rpm info from. Does anyone know?

JMcasked
Vito

I'm hiring one in France for touring with 3 others. We are also hiring 4 bicycles ... I'm a bit worried about the bike access and stacking 4 bikes via side doors ..., can anyone comment on whether this vehicle will work for this purpose??

NickDole
NickDole

4 adults and 4 bikes in a 638 chassis vito? Or any vito? Bit ambitious. You will have to pull front and rear wheels off. Vito access is great with twin sliding doors but it's not a big van

JMc

Thanks for your response. Process of wheels on:off not a problem ... It's "ambitious" but not impossible ??
Having probs finding a hire vehicle big enough :(
Thanks again!

Brendaasked
Vito W639.I (2004-2011)

M/BENDS VITO 2006 115CDI, Started losing instrument display ,no a/con ,window control ,stopped the vehicle and restarted problem gone this happened twice, then twice on different trips the motor just died in the traffic, I found by putting my foot flat to the floor and revving it hard for about ten seconds it came good .I took it to work shop that services m/bends sprinters thinking they could help but they said they couldn't find any thing and referred to an injector specialist they have my van now for seven weeks and I'm still none the wiser...have heard off these problems....Any ideas?ThankYou

Peter
Peter

My Vito a 2005 LWB crew cab goes into limp mode occasionally and the engine light comes on. I have had it checked and my merc mechanic couldn't find the reason.

royce
royceasked
Vito W638 (1996-2003)

Where do I find the ecu on my 1998 Mercedes 113 638?

croky
croky

The ecu on the 1998 is in front of the steering, if you remove the driver side vent you will see it .There two if it is an automatic the gearbox one is smaller and on top of the main ecu. good luck|

Taz
Tazasked
Vito W639.I (2004-2011)

Mercedes Benz Vito 2005 115CDI Auto Trans.
Auto trans plays up when temp. reaches over 30 degrees celcius. Operates fine when I first use the van but as the day goes on and temp. increases the trans will not change gears correctly. It seems to be affected by the heat. The trans has recently been serviced by Mercedes Benz and no fault codes appeared. It seems to hang on from 1st to 2nd and into 3rd as well and nearly always in the heat it does not change into 4th until you at least get over 70 klm's per hour. When I let the vehicle rest for approximately 1 hour it seems to come good for a while even in the heat of the day. Any ideas?
Thank you!

Hi Taz,

I have not come across this issue, but I do recommend that you keep away from the dealers, the only think that they know well is how to charge exorbitent fees, take it to a local mechanic.

Cheers

Snr Pedro
Snr Pedro

Most likely the viscosity of the oil is the wrong grade. Or the torque converter.
If it seems to react to heat, then the oil is probably to thin.

nadwyer
nadwyerasked
Vito

Is the vito good for long haul kilometres? Carrying 300 kg? If not what van is?

Mark505
Mark505

Toyota or mitsi express ... Do not buy a transit.....unless u love parting with money.

Dkm
Dkmasked
Vito

Looking at 2012 Vito SWB does anyone know if you can get 2 dirtbikes in the back easily?

tanya

I just bought 2013 113 swb not to sure on measurements sorry, I have seen motorbike shops with them but I think they have lwb.. One yes definite 2 not sure sorry.

Windy
Windyasked
Vito

Have had problems with electrics
Three window regulators and a rear wiper motor
Who else has had problems ?

tanya

I also did have a lot of problems with regulators aswell I think I've been through 2 but then again it is going up and down a lot aswell because i dont like to use the aircon all the time

benz man
benz manasked
Vito

Benz vito engin idling very poorly. Could it be injectors?

PaintVan
PaintVan

It could be injectors. I only run BP Ultimate diesel as I know it is higher quality than most others. However your van could probably need a service?

tanya

i also only use bp ultimate diesel..less smoke and 60 more kms.when i use other diesel i notice a huge difference..

Mercedes-Benz Vito