Midea 280L HP280

Midea 280L HP280 Questions & Answers

pete
pete

i have 280 litre version.must be a newer version as screen is easy to read.i want to set target temp to 50 but lowest it goes is 55.ani ideas?

Regarding the linking of HP280( RSJ23/300RDN3-B) has anyone managed to get it to link to the SmartHome app? . I rang Chromagen and try told me the app doesn’t let you the app and hot water service in Australia, is this true ? If so why don’t they disclose this in the manual? Has anyone been able to connect it ? How else do you check the power it’s consuming ?

Topcat
Topcat

I have the same problem, and Chromagen told me the same thing

Hi Top cat I’m not surprised. To be honest I actually reported them to the ACCC( I’m not holding my breath) but I’d like them to do something as Chromagen don’t tell you that anywhere unless you ring them.

I would encourage you and anyone who reads this to do the same as ACCC may fine or sanction them if enough complaints are made.

naith2
naith2

I recently had one of these units installed. Like others posting before, I found the manual not very clear.

Some questions about the modes, which are not actually explained (as far as I can find)
1) There is an "Economy" mode, but it is not explained what the difference is. eg does it only use the heat pump and never uses the e-heater?
2) The E-Heater mode - does that mean it only uses the electric heater (that sounds strange).
3) I selected the "Economy" mode, but later found that the unit changed by itself to E-Heater mode. I had to change it back to Economy mode, but then another few days and it is back to E-heater mode. I don't know why it does this, and what the effect is.

Would be great if someone can explain this!

Snapperhead

With regards to the Chromagen HP-170 Hot Water Pump….
1. How often does it enter “Disinfection” Mode (Weekly ? Daily ? i.e. How can we confirm/change this ?)
2. What is the factory default time of day for this mode ?
3. Can I change the time it enters this mode to come on in day time using my excess solar electricity, instead of in the middle of the night ?
Thanks in anticipation :)

pado45

I asked Chromagen this very question as it was disturbing my neighbours and my solar (obviously is not generating at night) and they said to offset the time by 12 hours so the disinfect cycle occurs during the daytime. I thought this was a rather clumsy fix but I tried it and it works. The disinfect cycle now occurs during the regular daily heat up cycle but it just runs a little longer. Personally I would like to disable the disinfect cycle so it only ran once a month or even once a quarter but I can’t discover how to achieve this.

pado45

Oh also I have my timer set from 10am to 4pm to take full advantage of my solar.

Eileen57

If you look at the bottom of page 14 in the installation &maintenance guide it tells you how to get into the disinfect time setting mode

Snapperhead

Eileen57 … Couldn’t find any details in my manual or online. Do u have a link for the manual you refer to ? Perhaps one of the many OEM versions of the same unit ? Midea and several others have branded the same Chromagen units….

Eileen57

I have the paper version I was given when I had the unit installed
It’s a Midea installation & maintenance guide
I have just followed the instructions and managed to reset the Disinfection time to 10am
If you cannot download it let me know and I will write the instructions on here

Snapperhead

Thanks for the link Eileen. I have the 170 Litre Model, and am unsure if this feature is relevant for all models or not. That particular document doesn't contain any details of how to program the disinfect cycle, however, I did manage to find one online after much searching. I'm yet to test the new settings, but will post my results once tested. Cheers ;)

Good luck

Tim H.
Tim H.

Hi, I’ve got my Midea 280l on a timer from 7.30am to 4.30pm so it’s generating hot water during the day when the solar is on. Next morning if we need a shower the water is cold. How do we get around this isssue?

Jurek
Jurek

Hi there. I can try this one. If you disable heating after 4.30pm then use any water for normal use, that is not reheated. Then, the tank will cool during those hours off-line for the heater.
You need to extend the cycle until much later, even though you will not get the solar benefit at the back end.

Snapperhead

Also be sure that it is actually heating the water to the correct temperature when it is actually running. Then check what mode it is heating in (i.e. pump only ? Pump + element ? What is the average ambient temp at night ? Please see owners manual regarding temperature / mode thresholds. Cheers :)

Graham B.
Graham B.

Can you disable the disinfect function on a HP280 HWS?

Snapperhead

The only way I’ve seen this disabled is by the internal dip switches described in the service manual. So… yes. However it’s not advisable…

Jay
Jay

What app do you use for this?? It says app control but I have no idea which app it’s for and how to work the timers. I tried MSmartLife but that didn’t work, but it has a wifi network called midea_c3_0079

Snapperhead

Depending on what model you have, it may not even have WiFi…. So no app will work. But the ‘on’ + ‘off’ timers are easily configured manually using the control buttons…

Peter B
Peter B

I’ve had a Chromagen Midea HP280 Heat Pump installed and the hot water pressure is now terrible. Cold is fine, previous system was also fine. Is there a user adjustment for the water pressure? Any help would be appreciated.

Alan R
Alan R

It is most likely the pressure limiting valve (normally 500Kpa). You can get one from Bunnings for about $70

Eddie C.
Eddie C.

I have set my on and off times and temperature. Also I have solar so I have programmed the system to come on between 7:30 am and 16:30 . Yet the system is running at 2:00 am and there is a wifi display on that for some reason I cannot connect to. Please explain how I can connect

Chris G.
Chris G.

The disinfect cycle happens once a week during the night and this raises the temp to 65C.
I’d like to know how I can get the disinfect cycle to turn on during the day so it uses the power from my solar panels rather than mains power.

A M.
A M.

Mine seems to do the same. Mine also seems to run for a few minutes at random times of the day and night

Charles
Charles

i found this on page 14 bottom, tells you how to get into disinfect time setting:
the only thing is my unit seems to only set the time, can't tell which day it does the disinfection

Snapperhead

Yes, the time can be changed in ‘user settings’ as described in the user manual. (Hold mode + down arrow) then change setting “01”)

Russell P.
Russell P.

Hey my 280lt is set to 55 degrees however this morning I when I woke up it has raised the temp to 65 whilst still be set at 55??? Any ideas why????

Holbi
Holbi

They automatically do a hotter cycle to disinfect the unit, should (hopefully) reset back to set temperature on completion.

Karen
Karen

Can someone please help me ? How do we set temperature? We just built a house and can’t understand instructions?

Jane H.
Jane H.

Hi, how do I change from Fahrenheit to Celsius on the HP280. Thanks

Obiwan

Press enter for over 3 seconds then press mode a number of times till you see TEMP UNIT. You can then switch between deg C and deg F. Very difficult to see the display until it is dark and you need to be level or slightly higher than display panel. Hope this helps. In Australia it should by default come on in degC mode.

stevo o.

Does the 280 litre work on off peak tarrif as well as on peak tarrif for boosting ?

Obiwan

Hi S if your meter and electricity account is set up for off peak and peak metering then the HP280 will switch on and do whatever it will when the water temperature is low enough. You can set the HWS to only come on during the off peak early morning time if you wish but it will do the same at the weekend. If by chance your electrician connected the HWS to the off peak switched supply (not recommended) then the HWS will only be on during the off peak times. You can switch it on by boosting if you wish in this case but in this type of connection the HWS will loose power in the peak times and also loose any settings you make on it including the clock (why not recommended). More usually the electrician will wire the supply to the HWS to the peak connection in the switchboard as in my case and you may as well cancel the off peak part of your account and just have peak noting that the peak charge with no off peak is lower that the peak charge when off peak is selected. Note the tarrif has nothing to do with all this; the important thing is where your HWS supply is connected to in the switchboard. Hope this helps.

stevo o.

Thankyou, yes you have explained it . :)

LEON

Just had 280L unit installed. My question is, what mode should I use? The manual appears to be translated from another language and is very stilted in style. I cannot find any explanation of what the different modes do.

Obiwan

Hi Leon, I use the Hybrid mode which is the default mode. As stated the unit will normally work with the heat pump which is best unless the temperature is unusually low. By the way how do you get on with the display? I can only see mine in the dark at night!

LEON

Thanks for you answer. As to the display it was fine, but the unit was in shade when I did it. I think it could be a problem in direct sunlight. I will test that another time.

WLP
WLP

what diameter and thickness concrete support pad is required?

tony f

I bought and have Midea 280L installed a month ago. I read the instruction prior to installation and can't work out how to remove the air filter for cleaning. I asked the plumber on installation day and he could not work out either. Is there any video and extra diagrams showing how it is done?

Grzegorz Balacinski

Mate this Chromagen service is crap..... In many of points /sections this manual is inappropriate. This is general description about Midea but 170 liters and 280 are totally different models with different tech solutions. Many of things not the same as shown in manual. In 280 liters Midea is not existing any air filter (only in 170 liters) Generally contact QLD service by phone is wasting your time..... They try to cheating on you, get rid out of you with unprofessional attitude to customers.
Cheers

tony f

Thanks a lot. I checked the diagram for Midea 280L and there was no air filter. However the diagram for Midea 170L does show an air filter.

Susan
Susan

Wot is the most economical temperature to set for a single person having a 3 min. Shower in the morning. I boil kettle for any other hot water I need

john w.

Could you advise me the warranty period on this system please?
[email address removed]Thank you

Midea
Midea   DM

Hi, Thank you for your interest in Midea heat pump.

Please refer to the warranty period as below:
5 Year - Tank Cylinder (3 Year Labour),
3 Year - Compressor (1 Year Labour),
1 Year - Electronics, Parts, and Labour.

I hope the information is helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Midea sales team.

Best regards,
Midea QLD

Barbara Paterson
Barbara Paterson

How long does the fan on the new 280 lt run once the unit is plumbed in?? The unit was fitted at around 11.am this morning, once switched on by the sparky, the fan is still running (7pm). I have hot water from the taps now.

Grzegorz Balacinski

Just kindly wait........ Next read manual and check display on the unit. Set up all your needs if you want. Remember display is crappy quality and not visible at all during day time....
Cheers
Grzegorz.

ken s.

Hi we have our system installed on the 22nd of this month a 170 it worked for the first couple of days and now there is no pressure on the hot water side it just trickles out, can you suggest what we need to do to get this fixed. Thank you

hokianga
hokianga

Get back to your installer. Have you tried bleeding it out for airlocks?

ken s.

Hi yes have done that. It did not appear to be any air in the lines also installer did bleed the lines before he finished.?

Get an answer from our members and Midea representatives