Miele K 12820 SD

• Internal Layout

Plato37

Plato37Brisbane

Poor design and quality of handles.

The handle of this refrigerator has broken - this is the second occasion. It really is time that Miele got to grips with this problem. The unit otherwise operates well (apart from the necessity of continually needing to attend to the drain). In spite of the fact that the handle problem is a design issue, Miele try to extract a small fortune to fix it!

Purchased in October 2013.

jcm4101

jcm4101Perth, WA

Don't let Miele charge you for broken door handles (Australia)

Purchased in January 2013 at Harvey Norman for $2,000.00.

Pauly

Pauly

Not what you expect for an expensive fridge

I purchased the fridge and freezer combo about 6 years ago. I can’t fault the freezer but the fridge has had expensive issues. The fridge cost $4000 brand new but like others have mentioned - the drain hole blocks and next thing you know there’s water all sitting under the fridge. I have also had to replace the fridge handle twice at $217 each time! Now it’s broken for the third time so we have just tried to glue and pot rivet it back together, very disappointing considering the cost of this fridge. Inside is a good layout and is easy to clean.

Purchased at RetraVision for $4,000.00.

High Price, and Poor Fittings

Purchased in February 2013.

Noise Level
Household Size 6 person(s)

Vin

VinSydney, NSW

Side by side fridge

I pretty much have my house full of miele appliances. But the one disappointment that's really been annoying me is the fridge handle. In 7 years I have had to replace it 3 times and after a few years the handle breaks. Literally snaps broken. I've had a Fisher and Pykle for over 20 years that got a real thrashing when my son's were growing up. It's still being used in garage/man cave. Never ever had to replace the handle. Come on Miele do something about this annoying and expensive product flaw ????

Purchased for $3,000.00.

Fifi

FifiWestern Australia

Should have read more reviews before buying what I thought was a top brand and quality product..

The door handle has broken on the fridge a week after the 2 year warranty. I read up on the fridge to find that you need to drain it, from the back??? What? Don't know how they are supposed to be moved on a regular basis to clean. Really disappointed with this purchase

Purchased in December 2016 at RetraVision for $3,598.00.

DrewSydney

Avoid Miele fridges and freezers at all costs.

Drew

Miele have dealt with my issue in a most satisfactory manner. Thanks.

Terrible

We are normally such Miele advocates but this was such an expensive waste of money. Fridge only has several design faults. The major one is the part of the handle that pushes the door apart from the fridge has had to be duct taped to give it extra omph to allow the door to open. The second flaw is that the fridge door doesn't beep when left open for an extended time. The door doesn't close automatically like other cheaper options. This is disastrous in a holiday home fridge. Returned to a big pool of water that caused damage to cabinetry. Thirdly, the fridge creaks like its haunted. Told the retailer and they said its normal. Ask yourself when youve woken up in the night to your fridge adjusting. Save yourself money and just don't buy it.

Purchased in December 2012.

Mark Heinrich

Mark HeinrichMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great fridge, but poor handle design

Handle on the fridge broke within a short time. Replaced handle, and now open the fridge door by pulling from the top of door! Otherwise happy with performance of both

Purchased in September 2012 at Spartan Electrical for $1,599.00.

Household Size 2 person(s)

Hmm.. great fridge very poor handle design

I been the owner of a house full of Miele appliances bough in 2014. I love their fridge freezer combo in stainless steel, they have great temperature control, nice LED lighting awesome soft close doors on both freezer fridge. But the handle to open the fridge and freezer lets it down. I now need to replace the handle on the fridge for the second time. This is disappointing and a design defect which should be sorted by Miele.
I don't know how this design got passed the German engineers, marketing manager pressure?

Kind regards

Stefan van Rooij

Purchased in June 2014 at Heatcote in Hamilton, NZ for $3,500.00.

Noise Level
Household Size 4 person(s)

BeeSouth West, WA

Handle fallen off fridge

We bought this fridge/freezer pair and have had trouble with water pooling at the back of the fridge - it needs regular cleaning out to avoid it wetting the floor.
And most recently the fridge handle just fell off. I contacted Miele directly and they said they wouldn't replace it, but would organise a technician to come and inspect it - at our cost.
It is such a simple fix - the handle needs replacing however they refused to do this. So disappointed, the fridge is out of warranty but a handle shouldn't fall off under the Fair Use Policy. Won't be buying again and still am without a fridge handle.

Purchased in September 2015.

Noise Level
Household Size 5 person(s)
JoelMiele

Hi Belinda, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. We have received your email and will be in contact as soon as possible. Kind regards, Anna.

Bee

Thanks Anna, I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing from you.

Andrew L

Andrew LSouth West, WA

Disappointed, great expectations.

I have owned a Miele K12820 for the last 3 years during this time the drip tray in the back of the fridge has blocked up so many times resulting in water leaking from the inside of the fridge on to the laminated floor boards which are now ruined. Initially I had a technician out to clear the drip tray but it is ridiculous that you are expected to clear this every month or so. The handle has also been an issue and now it is just about to break. Two significant design flaws on an expensive refrigerator.

Purchased in January 2016 at retrovision for $1,799.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 6 person(s)

nzpixi

nzpixiSydney, NSW

This fridge has been a disappointment from day 1!

Purchased in December 2010 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $2,000.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 4 person(s)

C DSlo

C DSloDarling Downs, QLD

Significant Disadvantage

This fridge suits all of the required purposes. Two fruit and vegetable drawers are a particularly desirable feature. Door trays could be just 1cm deeper. Greatest disappointment is that the door handle broke after a year's use. We were always careful not to pull on it roughly especially if it had just closed so it is with huge dissatisfaction I had it break off in my hand. We have a 60 year old fridge in the shed and its handle is still sturdy and working. Longevity of design not considered.

Purchased in November 2017 for $899.00.

Broken handle AGAIN

After much research Miele Was the brand For me. I love, love my Miele fridge and freezer. I love the design and function. But the handle has broken 2 times. Why do they make them out of plastic. There is so much stress on the handle and for a product that is used often why plastic. I know I can buy a new handle but they are still plastic and I know the handle will continue to break. So disappointed.

Purchased in April 2014 at JB Hi-Fi.

MOODY

MOODYSydney, NSW

Has wrecked my floor from leaking fridge.

I purchased my Miele Fridge and Freezer (Side by Side )thinking I was getting good quality product but the Fridge Side iis a LEMON.
Every Morning I come to the fridge and there is water all over the floor. It appears that the gully with the tiny
Black Hole just above the crisper in the bottom of the fridge is always blocking up the technician told me to use a cable tie to stick down the hole to unblock WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THIS on an expensive fridge? It blocks everyday so I have water leaking out therefore swelling my Laminate floors and wrecking them. I wish I could throw this fridge on the tip but I paid so much money cant afford to.

Purchased in November 2014 at Harvey Norman Physical Store for $2,500.00.

Dianne CollinsGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Crappy handle!!!!!!

This is a fantastic fridge except for the really poor design of the handle. An item that is under so much stress should not be made of plastic...really!!!!!
MINE HAS SNAPPED and I am not happy. I really dont want to pay for another one as the replacement is the same thing...no improvement is design or manufacture.
I will see if i can improvise another solution as the Miele product is no good.

Purchased in March 2014 for $2,800.00.

Dianne Collins

Thankyou Miele your customer service is fantastic

Jacqui41

Jacqui41Queensland

Both handles on Miele broken in less than 4 years.

These handles are plastic, who puts plastic handles on a $4000 fridge freezer set. I would not vuy this brand again. Apparently they are made to last 20 plus years. Great so for the next 16 years I have to tug the crap out of the doors just to open them. We have to leave the doors open if we are meal prepping, or tag team and get as much as we can in or out in one go. How embarrassing we have renovated our whole kitchen around this set and now everyone laughs at us.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Handle broke off in two years !!!!!

Date PurchasedNov 2016
JoelMiele

Handle broke and now door seal

Handle broke within 12 months and now door seal is broken. Called Miele and was told that the whole door needs to be replaced at a cost of $400 + call out fee. I was told it would not be covered under warranty. Fridge is not even 3 years old! not happy to say the least. Would not buy again!

Date PurchasedMar 2016
JoelMiele

Hi Vincent, Miele appreciates your feedback and apologises for the inconvenience. We will continue to work closely with you to ensure a resolution is met. Kind regards, Miele.

Consumer

Consumerasked

I am having trouble with water not draining away through the little drain yet I can't seem to reach anything that may be blocking it...any ideas? Have tried to use a straw.

Morkinalice

Morkinaliceasked

Has anyone dropped a shelf? Beware shatters like a crystal glass shards everywhere and NOT SAFETY GLASS found out the hard way 6 cuts on feet from flying shards.

fiona
fiona

I had one explode on me when I was washing it.very scary I had no cuts but was very challenging.

Joe

Joeasked

My refrigerator is 5y old. I had this kind of noises since the beginning but recently they became much more loud.
One noise is kind of LOUD BANG - as if somebody hit the refrigerator body with a hammer. Initially it was not as loud. When I made inquiry with the Miele service they said that it is nothing wrong. Maybe it is not but because it has became rather too loud I am concerned.
The other noise that is more noticeable than earlier is the noise as if it was a fluid bubbling into a container.
Anybody has any comment on these noises? Should I contact Miele specialists?
Joe

Hi Joe

Bubbling is normal, usually the coolant shuffling about. Our has always made some dripping noises et cetera, as the back wall defrosts and water runs down the hole and out to the container on the compressor to evaporate. Usually louder banging sounds are metal pipes expanding and/or contracting slightly. However a really loud bang could indicate an issue. As it would be even past its extended warranty if bought, as long as it's still working, I wouldn't worry.
Cheers

Get an answer from our members and Miele representatives

Download manual