Disappointed, great expectations.

I have owned a Miele K12820 for the last 3 years during this time the drip tray in the back of the fridge has blocked up so many times resulting in water leaking from the inside of the fridge on to the laminated floor boards which are now ruined. Initially I had a technician out to clear the drip tray but it is ridiculous that you are expected to clear this every month or so. The handle has also been an issue and now it is just about to break. Two significant design flaws on an expensive refrigerator.

Purchased in January 2016 at retrovision for $1,799.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 6 person(s)
Hi Andrew, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience of the matter. If possible, can you email your full name and best contact number to prsupport@miele.com.au and a member of our team will be in contact as soon as possible? Please reference your Product Review username so we can identify you. Kind regards, Miele.

This fridge has been a disappointment from day 1!

I've been really disappointed with this fridge. From day 1, I found that the fruit and veg goes off faster than in my older fridge that I replaced it for. Then I discovered the evaporator which drains liquid from the rear wall of the fridge was not evaporating, leaked onto the floor, and had food protein residue so grew mould! Happened 3 times in the early days...so pleased I didn't get it built in! now I leave a paper towel in situ to stop it draining into it. The seals have cracked on the door (my mistake for buying an ex demo>>?, won't do that again!) and to fix the seals we have to replace the door at over $400? & now the handle broke!, I'm left trying to wedge open the door using my nails.....This fridge is a lemon, crappy seals, poor design for the evaporator (very hard to clean if you have to do it) and plastic handles used to push the door open - not up to Miele design standards. Love the freezer it is paired with but this fridge is not worth the extra dollars we spent on it. A very regretful purchase. Oh and they changed the handle design so it looks like the replacement handle won't match the freezer! (@ $160plus)

Purchased in December 2010 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $2,000.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 4 person(s)

Significant Disadvantage

This fridge suits all of the required purposes. Two fruit and vegetable drawers are a particularly desirable feature. Door trays could be just 1cm deeper. Greatest disappointment is that the door handle broke after a year's use. We were always careful not to pull on it roughly especially if it had just closed so it is with huge dissatisfaction I had it break off in my hand. We have a 60 year old fridge in the shed and its handle is still sturdy and working. Longevity of design not considered.

Purchased in November 2017 for $899.00.

Broken handle AGAIN

After much research Miele Was the brand For me. I love, love my Miele fridge and freezer. I love the design and function. But the handle has broken 2 times. Why do they make them out of plastic. There is so much stress on the handle and for a product that is used often why plastic. I know I can buy a new handle but they are still plastic and I know the handle will continue to break. So disappointed.

Purchased in April 2014 at JB Hi-Fi.

Household Size 3 person(s)
Hi Diane, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience of the matter. If possible, can you email your full name and best contact number to prsupport@miele.com.au and a member of our team will be in contact as soon as possible? Please reference your Product Review username so we can identify you. Kind regards, Miele.

Has wrecked my floor from leaking fridge.

I purchased my Miele Fridge and Freezer (Side by Side )thinking I was getting good quality product but the Fridge Side iis a LEMON.
Every Morning I come to the fridge and there is water all over the floor. It appears that the gully with the tiny
Black Hole just above the crisper in the bottom of the fridge is always blocking up the technician told me to use a cable tie to stick down the hole to unblock WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THIS on an expensive fridge? It blocks everyday so I have water leaking out therefore swelling my Laminate floors and wrecking them. I wish I could throw this fridge on the tip but I paid so much money cant afford to.

Purchased in November 2014 at Harvey Norman Physical Store for $2,500.00.

Household Size 3 person(s)
Hi there, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience of the matter. If possible, can you email your full name and best contact number to prsupport@miele.com.au (please be aware this contact method is for Australia & New Zealand only) and a member of our team will be in contact as soon as possible? Please reference your Product Review username so we can identify you. Kind regards, Anna.

Crappy handle!!!!!!

This is a fantastic fridge except for the really poor design of the handle. An item that is under so much stress should not be made of plastic...really!!!!!
MINE HAS SNAPPED and I am not happy. I really dont want to pay for another one as the replacement is the same thing...no improvement is design or manufacture.
I will see if i can improvise another solution as the Miele product is no good.

Purchased in March 2014 for $2,800.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 2 person(s)
Hi Dianne, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience of the matter. If possible, can you email your full name and best contact number to prsupport@miele.com.au (please be aware this contact method is for Australia & New Zealand only) and a member of our team will be in contact as soon as possible? Please reference your Product Review username so we can identify you. Kind regards, Miele.Thankyou Miele your customer service is fantastic

Both handles on Miele broken in less than 4 years.

These handles are plastic, who puts plastic handles on a $4000 fridge freezer set. I would not vuy this brand again. Apparently they are made to last 20 plus years. Great so for the next 16 years I have to tug the crap out of the doors just to open them. We have to leave the doors open if we are meal prepping, or tag team and get as much as we can in or out in one go. How embarrassing we have renovated our whole kitchen around this set and now everyone laughs at us.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Handle broke off in two years !!!!!

I can't believe it, we spent an absolute fortune on Miele products and we have had so much problems.
I called today and l asked the question what if it breaks again? and the consultant assured me that it WON'T
LOL are they serious? I also told them that l have a 20yr old fridge half the price still running strong in my garage and yes the handle is still attached, l raised 3 young children with that fridge nothing fell off.
I actually told my husband that there is a flaw in the design and they all need to be replaced with a better quality handle as this is more of s case of faulty product which the consumer affairs l am sure will agree with.
I honestly did not know the problem was this bad.

last note l am now very upset with the consultants as they to tried to blame the breakage on us knowing it was a common problem with the fridge.

If my handle does break out of warranty l know who to call.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi Malek, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience of the matter. If possible, can you email your full name and best contact number to prsupport@miele.com.au and a member of our team will be in contact as soon as possible? Please reference your Product Review username so we can identify you. Kind regards, Miele.

Handle broke and now door seal

Handle broke within 12 months and now door seal is broken. Called Miele and was told that the whole door needs to be replaced at a cost of $400 + call out fee. I was told it would not be covered under warranty. Fridge is not even 3 years old! not happy to say the least. Would not buy again!

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Hi Vincent, Miele appreciates your feedback and apologises for the inconvenience. We will continue to work closely with you to ensure a resolution is met. Kind regards, Miele.

Do not buy a Miele fridge

Terrible handle design. Has broken 3 times and now it's out of warranty they won't replace the handle. Freezer pair is fine but obviously doesn't get opened as much. Very regrettable expensive purchase. Leaks as well!!!
I am left with a fridge that we have wrestle open, is an embarrassment to us and should be to Miele!

Date PurchasedJan 2016
Hi Steph, Miele appreciates your feedback and apologises for the inconvenience. We can confirm the Service booking has been scheduled to assess your appliance and Miele will work closely with you to ensure a resolution is met. Kind regards, Miele.

Better with a new handle design

We recently had the handle replaced (under warrant, great service from Miele). The new design seems much stronger and gently breaks the seal before opening the door. The fridge itself works very well, and is extremely hardwearing and easy to clean. We have the pigeon pair and they look great together. This is our first Miele and I have been very impressed by all levels of design in this fridge.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Not worth it

3 month old fridge and seal was faulty. This is being fixed under warranty by replacing the door and seal as they are one unit. I expect this would be very expensive if not under warranty. Rear internal wall gets very wet and you cant store things against it. We were advised that's just how it works. Like some other reviewers we have had cheese go off with mould. I guess we are lucky as we have not yet broken a handle but sounds like it will only be a matter of time. Miele should stick to vacuum's!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Handle not fit for purpose

This is a good fridge rendered frustrating by a very inferior handle. Two handles have broken within 4 years. One was replaced under warranty and one free with a little persistence. We were told to use a two stage action and wait, to break the seal - which is unrealistic considering the fridge is used by visitors and grandkids. Also that the drain hole can ice up causing a too strong seal - which has not been a problem for us. The handle is obviously just not strong enough and Miele should admit the problem and provide a better designed one free to all. It is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.
Full marks though to CustomerCare (email, not phone) who responded to email within an hour - and new handle arrived within 24 hours.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

A very Low quality fridge and freezer handles.

Just 4 months out of 2 year warranty, cast iron handle snapped off, cost $179.00 visit fee only without replacing the handle which the technician did not have despite giving them a full description of the part. plus the cost of the handle $144.00 which will be send to me to replace it myself otherwise fees will apply. A product big time waste of money, I wish I read reviews before buying. now I'm spending money I haven't got.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Not a quality product

After only 5 months of use the handle is coming off. Even though it’s under warranty meile say it might be my fault and may have to charge me a call out fee. This fridge has had very light use by mostly just one person as all my children have left home. No quality and no warranty that backs you up when the product fails. Just a company that wants to blame you for poor design. Don’t buy Miele.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Good Fridge but poor/weak handle design.

Excellent fridge, very quiet, easy to clean and trouble free until May 2017, when the handle unexpectedly snapped off. Not at all happy when Miele's response was that I was not opening the fridge correctly by releasing the seal slowly, before opening the door. This has caused undue stress on the bracket. I'm sorry but that is just unrealistic!

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Great quiet refrigerator

I recently purchased a Miele refrigerator and freezer (side by side). They are very quiet and efficient models that keep the food at a constant cold temperature. Good streamline design. It would be good if the light was not placed in the ceiling of the fridge as when shelves are full not a lot of light reaches the lower shelves. Not sure how the handles will hold up over time with kids opening the fridge. All in all very happy with the new products.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Heaps of room.

Keeps the temperature at a good level. Easy to clean. Heaps of room. Makes a few little funny sounds that take a bit to get used to. However you can't put things in front of the fan which everyone does because it looks like an empty spot but makes the temperature heat up.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Great fridge - crap handles

Couldn't be happier with the fridge - the handles are another issue though. Agree whole heartedly with another reviewer - Miele should redesign the fridge handles to be more robust and replace the poorly designed ones free of charge. They advertise their products as high quality and long lasting. Well, they are, as we have a multitude of Miele products and have had for years now -but they need to put in a disclaimer when it comes to fridge handles. At $147 each they should be better quality.. Update - I have contacted Miele and advised them of the broken handle and they are aware of the design flaw. Their newer model fridge handles have a more robust design. They did however comment that to minimize the chance of a breakage again the handle should be gripped as close to the edge of the fridge as possible. If held at its end the large handle can produce quite a bit of leverage and an over zealous tug can break the thin alloy mounting plate. They also recommend you frequently check the water drain plug inside the fridge located at the back. If this is blocked not only does water run onto the interior of the fridge floor, it also causes a strong vacuum to develop making it harder to open, requiring more force on the handle, resulting in it breaking. All kudos to Miele though - they said because the fridge was only 3 yrs old they would supply the replacement handle free of charge - can't ask for much better after sales service than that!

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Repeated broken handle on fridge now the freezer

The fridge and Freezers were purchased together 4 yrs ago. Very happy with both units in every area except the door handles. We have had to replace the fridge handle 3 times and now the freezer handle has broken. Worried we were to rough. Agent replacing the handle told us it was a common fault and he has replaced multiple handles. The handles are made of an alloy that becomes weak and cracks. Miele did replace 1st two handles however now on our own as out of warrantee and the handles cost over $130.00 each. Ouch!!!

Date PurchasedJan 2013

I am having trouble with water not draining away through the little drain yet I can't seem to reach anything that may be blocking it...any ideas? Have tried to use a straw.

Has anyone dropped a shelf? Beware shatters like a crystal glass shards everywhere and NOT SAFETY GLASS found out the hard way 6 cuts on feet from flying shards.
I had one explode on me when I was washing it.very scary I had no cuts but was very challenging.

My refrigerator is 5y old. I had this kind of noises since the beginning but recently they became much more loud. One noise is kind of LOUD BANG - as if somebody hit the refrigerator body with a hammer. Initially it was not as loud. When I made inquiry with the Miele service they said that it is nothing wrong. Maybe it is not but because it has became rather too loud I am concerned. The other noise that is more noticeable than earlier is the noise as if it was a fluid bubbling into a container. Anybody has any comment on these noises? Should I contact Miele specialists? Joe
Hi Joe Bubbling is normal, usually the coolant shuffling about. Our has always made some dripping noises et cetera, as the back wall defrosts and water runs down the hole and out to the container on the compressor to evaporate. Usually louder banging sounds are metal pipes expanding and/or contracting slightly. However a really loud bang could indicate an issue. As it would be even past its extended warranty if bought, as long as it's still working, I wouldn't worry. Cheers

K 12820 SD EDT/CS (Stainless Steel)K 12820 SD (White)
Capacity405L405L
Energy Rating2.5Stars2.5Stars
Door OpeningRight (Convertible)Right (Convertible)
Width600mm600mm