Mint Telecom Questions & Answers

NBN, ADSL

41 questions from our users

Ashley

Ashleyasked

All plans seem to have 6 month contract. Is that right? Do you charged to have the Fetch box connected you your service? My current provider charges $15 to have it connected to the server/modem

Hi Ashley,
Correct, no long term contracts, just 6 mths and thereafter it's month to month.
We don't offer Fetch so don't charge anything related to it. If you want to use Fetch you simply setup directly with Fetch.

Rose N.asked

I got problems with iiNet since moving home for 13 days already but the internet connection hasnt been settled yet.

I have had to make a lot of stressful phone calls and annoyed verification procedures wasting my time and affecting to our jobs. I am wondering to change the service provider and considering you Mint as there are quite many of good reviews from customers here.

If you work in Armadale WA 6112 area, please contact me.

Rose

Hi Rose,
If you can access the NBN network we can help.
Give us a call on 1300586468 when suits.

Thanks for reply.
IiNet says yes. My contract with them is NBN service. The problem is to check the connection outside and inside my house and setting up the modem. Can you send a technician to our home for help as we couldnt fix the problem thru phone calls instructions with iiNet so far

Hi Rose,
If you call us we can discuss what is the problem and required.
Alternately we have chat programs on our website as well.

Frank

Frankasked

I'm currently on Naked Broadband with Optus. How long and what's required to move to NBN with you? I've checked that NBN FTTN is available for my home address.

Hi Frank,
NBN complete the connection to their network - we place the order, but they coordinate and sent their technicians to establish the connection.
Timing depends on local NBN tech workloads for your area, typically is 1-2 weeks though.

Georgina H.

Georgina H.asked

Do you have any service that doesn't need the telephone or nbn

Hi Georgina,
We can provide adsl over the telstra network, but a phone service is a requirement for that to work.
We don't do mobile services.

Tezasked

NBN 50 (Standard Plus)

do mint have email addresses?

Hi Tez,
Email addresses from an ISP are not transferable so if you git an email address from us you wouldn't be able to keep it if you left us.
It doesn't make sense to us so we don't supply nor recommend this path. You are far better to get an email account with Gmail or Hotmail as they are both free and better than any email account from an ISP.

Thanks Michael.

DesignKink
DesignKink

Hi Tez, I can get you a permanent custom email address, through my web hosting business, use our contact form and I'll tell you more.

ron

ronasked

getting a cable to premises connection , how long for connection from placing order??

Hi Ron,
Whilst we place the order, NBN Co perform the connection as its their network. The timing will depend on local NBN Co tech workloads in your local area, typically 1-2 weeks.

Melissa

Melissaasked

Hi Team
I'm liking the look of all these reviews for your internet service, I just have a couple of questions, well 4 to be exact.
1...I thought Mint Telecom was a Tasmanian only company ?
2...If I move out of Tasmania and go back to the mainland would I be able to continue using the Mint Telecom service, if I was to join ?
3...what sort of IP address do you offer, is it Static or Dynamic and does it really matter which one it is ? at the moment my current provider has me on an IP address that keeps changing and it's driving me nuts because it's interfering with some thing's I do on my laptop.
4...Do you have DATA share plans on the NBN ?
Thanks for your time
Regards
Melissa

Hi Melissa,
1. We operate from Tasmania. Our services are available nationally.
2. As long as you can access the NBN or Telstra networks we can provide a service.
3. Static IP. Shouldn't really matter though, but that's what we provide.
4. No. Not sure anyone does? Our most popular plans are with unlimited data.
Give us a call when the office is open and we can answer any further questions.

midgeasked

NBN 50 (Standard Plus)

if i were to sign up with mint on nbn Q1 can you get foxtel,fetch or netflix Q2 can you get a phone line Q3 can you use a telstra adsl 2+ as your nbn modem

Hi Midge,
Best to contact us directly to cover, but in simple terms:
1. Yes - you can get all these services directly from each provider.
2. Yes - plan details are on website (bundles section).
3. For some types of NBN you can use. But you can never use for voice as telstra lock the settings.

midge

thanks for the quick response,how long does it take to get up and running,i move into a new apartment in two weeks and it has nbn.

Michael S.Mint Telecom

If it's already installed then we can activate same day.
Best to contact us well in advance though as we can get it all ready and schedule to activate whenever required.

Faylene J.

Faylene J.asked

I live at 1047 Nubeena Road Premaydena 7185. Is the NBN available here. Regards Faylene

Hi Faylene,
Yes. The coverage maps show that you are within Fixed Wireless coverage. However, NBN are flagging the service is down for Satellite (which is the one type of NBN we don't support).
Unless you (or a previous tenant) have tried to get NBN Fixed Wireless and were unable to due to line of sight problems to the tower it should be possible for us to get the address re-classified for you to Fixed Wireless.
For more information or to sign up then give us a call or jump on chat on our website.

Rossasked

NBN

Hi there, after decades with Optus in Melbourne and an optnetnet.com.au email address, I moved to Mint Telecom when I came to live in Hobart. Great service, by the way. However without Optus broadband I lost the Optus email address and moved to Gmail just prior to moving to Tasmania. Problem is now I plan to visit China and China it appears has banned Google (and Gmail). I see from previous posts that you do not offer Mint email addresses, so looking for an option. Incidentally, Optusnet.com.au can be accessed in China so a cheap broadband (mobile) Plan is I think one option, and I can use again my old Optusnet email address if I go with Optus. Have you any suggestions. Thanks Ross (Howrah)

Hi Ross,
Interesting one. It looks like there are two simple options.
1. You can use a VPN so as to access Gmail (A quick google of how to use gmail in China will provide details); OR
2. Setup a different free email account that you can use temporarily. I.e. Hotmail appears to work in China and oyu could simply setup a rule to fwd emails from gmail to your Hotmail acct for that period.

Ross

Thanks Michael, for the very prompt reply - could not read your 2nd option though. Google search reveals that China banned VPN in 2018, although commentators suggest they are more interested in their own citizens’ use and may not enforce visitor use - tread your own path. For a short 14 day tip may go cold turkey, however I will investigate a cheap Optus etc. Mobile broadband prepaid plan for 39 days and hook onto their email offerings (optusnet .com.au) which China does appear to allow. Thanks again.

Ross

Hi Michael, can read your option 2 - looks promising, so will investigate. Good service.

Joe J.

Joe J.asked

cost

Hi Joe,
You've already asked this.

Joe J.

Joe J.asked

cost

Hi Joe,
All plan details are on our website.

Michael Basked

We previously has Optus ADSL and want to use NBN. There is a small Optus box connection at the front of the house with a cable going across the roof to back of the house for the internet connection. To use nbn would this be deemed a new connection with a $300 charge. Do you have a NBN25 0r NBN50 plan with 100GB download limit? If so what would the cost be?

Hi Michael,
As part of reviewing the best plan for you we would check your address to see if a new connection fee would apply. What you are describing wouldn't be a new connection though - that is purely for new builds post April 2016.
For NBN25/NBN50 we only have unlimited with the plans on the website. We do have a 100GB plan but that's only for 12/1 speed.

Marissa

Marissaasked

Can I use my Telstra nbn modem for mint Telecom if I switch over or do I have to buy a new modem?

Hi Melissa,
A telstra modem will work for fibre to the premise or fixed wireless but not for any other nbn types or voice as telstra lock settings that need changing.

Patasked

If I were to sign up with you and I had trouble technically or with billing, would I be speaking to someone in Australia when I rang up about it? Pat

Sam
Sam

I believe, they don't have an offshore call center. All operations are based out of Tasmania.

Hi Pat,
You will only ever speak or deal with someone in Hobart, Tasmania.

Pat

Thank you. Would there be any cost to signing up with you. We already have a D-Link router and a Uniden telephone system, and are connected to the NBN.

bobbysdadasked

I need to change over from ADSL+ to NBN eventually, but after chatting to numerous ISP's, I just can't seem to get a straight answer regarding the major hidden fee regarding the $300 New Development Charge.
It seems that whoever signs up first, at a given address, gets hit with this fee, and yet if I move out, and the next tenant moves in, they don't get hit with this fee.
I should mention, my apartment block does have NBN.
I'm only on an age pension [now], after transferring from a disability support pension after I turned 65 recently, and collectively, it all adds up to the point where as I just can't afford to have the internet [or even a phone] anymore. So I'll have to be without. Not really fair.
Anyway, most ISP's have said it's the NBN and the NBN have said it's the ISP's that I have to pay the $300 to, and up front.
So where does Mint stand regarding this issue, please?

Sincerely, bobbysdad

Hi bobbysdad,
NBN are a wholesale only business so your interaction is with a Retail Service Provider (RSP) like Mint.
For the New Development Fee - the way it works is NBN Co charge the RSP and the RSP charges the customers.
So if that fee is applicable and you signed up with Mint you would pay us the fee (which would flow through from us to NBN Co).

Spud
Spud

As far as I'm aware it is the owner of a new building that pays the New Development Charge. If you are a tenant you don't pay it, the landlord does. You can contact the TIO (Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman) for clarification about this.

bobbysdad

Well, Michael from Mint, why don't you mention ANYTHING about the New Development Fee ANYWHERE on your web site? I feel it is your responsibility to make potential customers aware of this. $300 is a lot of money to just spring onto someone after the horse has bolted. Very unfair....
Meanwhile, thanks Spud for your addition to the answer.

Christine

Christineasked

My daughter is in Dame Phyllis Frost prison in I would like to find out how I can get her cheaper rates to be able to ring myself and her three children

Hi Christine,
You could maybe try getting her a calling card that she can use from the prison? Not something we can help with as we don't offer calling cards and outside of that the call charges are determined by the prison so can't see any easy options.

Edgar.

Edgar.asked

I at villa 118 Edgewater Village Bli Bli. NBN is still not connected. Should have been on AM27/March, any idea why? Edgar.

Hi Edgar,
NBN Co manage and perform installations for all providers.
If you were our customer we would already be reviewing and trying to find out why it was not completed, but we have no visibility when you are not a customer.
If you want us to help, then contact us via 1300586468 and once you have signed up as a customer we can commence the process to connect you.

0b1

0b1asked

Hi there,
do you supply email addresses with your plans ?

Hi,
No we don't.
The reason is that email addresses from an ISP are not transferable so we don't think they are a good idea.
Google (gmail) and Microsoft (Outlook) provide free services that are better than any ISP email service and accordingly that's what we recommend.
Or for a business there are plenty of specialised businesses that are set up for this, it's not really an ISP service any more.

hydraflexx

hydraflexxasked

Hi,
I have recently discovered the unreliability of the FTTN NBN. I have 5 days with no internet. Shoddy NBN techs. So I am curious if you offer a 4G backup like Telstra?
Thanks,
hydraflexx

Hi Hydraflexx,
Sorry to hear about your problems. We don't offer any mobile backups, albeit you can set these items up yourself - it just depends on what the impact is if there is no internet. I.e. a business should have redundancy in place whereas a consumer may or may not require.
In general, once connected, the NBN network is quite reliable and outages to the extent you are advising are quite rare in our experience.

Get an answer from our members and Mint Telecom representatives