Mitsubishi Delica

Mitsubishi Delica Questions & Answers (page 5 of 9)

MK4 (1994-2007), MK5 (2007-Present)

173 questions from our users

Jay O

Jay Oasked

Delica

Hey guys i had a problem with my dieselpump of my chamonix and i fixed that but now it starts but refuses to drive....have you any idea what it could be??

Give the guys at Delica garage a call north shore Geelong Vic

DelicaRock

DelicaRockasked

Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

Hi guys,I own a 1997 Delica l400, 2800turbo diesel. The car have 180000km and I don't know if the timing chane as ever been replaced.the car run perfectly but I'm wandering if is better replace it or wait for some rattling noise from the engine? Thanks

samuay

Timing chain is sturdy metal type used by Porsche, if its not giving any indication of issue, leave it

Claire N

Claire Nasked

Delica

Can you plwase tell me what 4LLC means on the gearbox of a 2002 mitsubishi Delica 4WD?

4Low Lock Centre Diff only use on slippery surface

Robert C

Robert Casked

Delica

Looking for some insight. Looking at buying a 1991 l300 delica with the 2.5 desiel. Anything I should know before hand to look out for?

samuay

Yeah better of buying an L400, way more comfy, heaps better off road, I've owned an L300, they're tiny the suspension control arm bushes if never replaced will sqeek and squeal like you wouldn't believe, I've now got an L400, heaps better

Teegiio

Teegiioasked

Delica MK5 (2007-Present)

Is there any problems with gearbox? Any limited lifetime (Gearbox CVT)? Delica D5

Sandy G

I have put 100,000kms in 2yrs and hasn't missed a beat think i may need to change oil now i think about as I'm pretty hard on her and like to out run boy racers so far turbo skyline evo vii and a late model AGM merc love my beast got fat tyres bonnet scoop headlight kit people don't know what it is

Missy2

Missy2asked

Delica

Hi, is it possible to turn a fixed bed in campervan Delcia, into seats that fold down to make bed, thus giving room to install fridge , microwave etc, if so does anyone have a rough estimate of cost please.

Spock
Spock

I have a 1994 L400 that has a fridge, water + filtered water taps, propane stove, porta potti, inverter with 2 aux batteries. The bed on top has a slide out where the two back seats are. When you slide it out it sits on top of the seats for support and you just fold out the mattress. I can also pull out half of the bed support, swivel my rear seat and use it as a table. The guy who sold me the van is a carpenter and designed and built it himself. There is also a controller and prewired for solar panels. I can send you pictures of the design. It was very well thought out. The pictures might give you some ideas. I'm on Facebook if you want to send me a message. Just look up Vernon Rehel.

jenny

jennyasked

Delica

Hi I need a blinker switch for my 1994delica 4x4 auto van can you tell me what might fit as I was told I cant get new I bought a L300 one but its totally different I am desperate as its my only vehicle and I've got no blinkers

samuay

Flea bay has new ones $180, plus delica shops online havem, try delica garage online shop

Bruceasked

Delica

1996 Delica TD external temp gauge works ok but brightness varies, starts off bright then fades away. Have taken to bits and checked all the solder joints. Any suggestions?

samuay

You need a new globe, try online delica shops, to fit push in and turn

Bruceasked

Delica

Have a 1996 Delica TD. Front blower fan not working as no power going to fan. All fuses and speed switch ok (works on negative power). Cannot find the fuse or relay to blower fan. Where is it located? Help! Bruce

Bruce

Sorted problem. The wiring below fuse burnt out. Thanks to Nick from Auto Breeze

mick

mickasked

Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

Giday i have a 97 2.8 ltr automatic diesel delica it starts fine all the time heaps of power but at an idol in gear blows a lot of white smoke and sounds like its really labouring the revs drop down to about 500 rpm. i put a engine oil flush through it . put a injector clean as well changed all the filters. Just wondering what else could be the problem? cheers mick

Fack N Fel
Fack N Fel

Hi Mick,

First off, I do not own a Delica. But I do own a 1992 Honda Civic EG6 and am a engineer by trade and mechanic by hobby. Try doing a compression test on your cylinders and do a quick check on your coolant level. White smoke usually indicates water ingress or compression blowpass. These are easy check, so start with these first. Hope it helps! :)

samuay

This could be the start of a blown head, mine did same thing, then shat itself, new motor just now fitted $6500, a new head fitted is cheaper option 2-2500$ get a delica specialist to check it, delica garage north shore Geelong, they may also have workshop qld

Evanasked

Hi there
I have a mitsubishi delica diesel and I have a problem in cold weather at the starting, does not keep idle and puts too much smoke black and white, when warming up I have no problem!!!
Please can someone help me?
What is the problem?

Hi Evan,
If you phone me during business hours on (03)9553 0518, I might be able to shed some light on your problem.
Cheers,

Hi Paul
Unfortunately I live in Canada is a little hard for me to call you!
If you can send me an e-mail your answer would be a great help for me!!!

Thank you very much for your response!!

Robasked

Good Morning Everyone.
Im looking at a 2000 Delica 2.8 diesel with the view of camping and fishing. Is anyone able to tell me are these a good year model and in particular are the engine ok for hway driving and off road. Any infor would be appreciated.

Hi Rob,

The Delica will suit your requirements beautifully but as with all vehicles, purchasing a good one is the key.
The 2.8 litre diesel will work nicely both on highway and offroad although arguably a little thirsty. My thinking is that you need to sacrifice fuel economy a little if it means having the right 'purpose built' vehicle.
If you're not mechanically inclined, I'd strongly recommend a pre-purchase inspection. You haven't indicated the vehicle's mileage but I find that most vehicles under 150,000km's are still quite good. Beyond that, some wear and tear is likely to require attention.
Obviously this depends on the general maintenance history of the vehicle but should give you a rough guide.
You're more than welcome to phone me at work for more information as I'm limited in response within this forum medium.

03 9553 0518 BH

Rob

Hi Paul and thanks for your answer. Very helpful.

Robasked

Hi all.
I am going to buy a Delica in the near future to convert into a camper but have a few questions. Was wondering if somebody could please advise me.
1. Will the roof take a roof top tent with two adults inside?
2. What series/ models are LWB
3. Petrol Vs Diesel? which is best for touring
4. I understand there can be cooling issues, are there any other common issues I should watch out for when inspecting vehicles?

Thanks to everyone who helps me out with advice in my new venture.

Kris
Kris

You will need to lookup the van height measurements, I have been wondering the same thing regarding mine, but these vans sit high, so if you are wanting to use a rooftop tent with a side tent attached you will need to know the height of the van. I'm sure a straight rooftop tent will be fine. Just don't load the roof up with too much weight if you are planning off roading.
Lack of maintenance is the real issue with these vans, and remember they are 20+ years old now. So either buy one that has had things done already - injectors, fuel pump(costly), water pump(cheap), turbo(cheap) etc or get one cheap and do it yourself. Thats what i am doing. Parts are readily available if you know where to look. Ebay has lots, but they will cost some dollars at some point. I figure that since these are so awesome it is worth spending the cash and when you own one you will fall in love with it, like all delica owners. They will go anywhere!
You are better off with a series 2 diesel if you can find one simply for the slight power/economy benefit. Most LWB high roof models seem to be series 1.(this is what I have)> either way to find a LWB High roof is rare. Avoid the glass roof ones if you can, just more top weight & crap to go wrong.
Cooling issues - not a huge issue at all but these have plastic header tanks on the radiator & plastic holding tank, both of which can be upgraded to alloy.
Some are a little prone to cracking exhaust manifolds.
Check underneath for rust, and also under the hood near the window pillars.
The added bonus is a forum called delicaclub full of info!! everything you need, and these engines are used in pajeros, tritons, challengers too.
However, these are the best 4wd campers on the planet and in my opinion they are gold and fairly reliable.

Rob

Thanks for that mate. Im ll looking at one today with a fully reconditioned engin so hopefully all goes well

Zaldy

Zaldyasked

Delica

I bought second hand space gear chamonix 4m40 diesel engine 1995 model,I noticed that while i'm driving in a steep zigzag rd.i heard like air releasing every 1 to 2 minutes.but when i'm running with ac on there is no air releasing.Can you help me what is the reason of this sound like there is an air relief valve?

Hi Zaldy,
There are a number of items that can cause the problem you've described. Please call me during business hours on (03)9553 0518 and
I can probably steer you in the right direction.
Cheers,
Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin).
242 Wickham Road
Moorabbin, Vic.
03 9553 0518 BH

johno

johnoasked

Delica

How to replace a front parking globe on a 2001 Mitsubishi Delica?

Ulysses
Ulysses

Dead easy......the lamp just unclips. pictorial avail on the Delica Club site.

Blaze

Blazeasked

Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

Hi there, i'm interested in buying a 1997 Mitsubishi Delica automatic turbo diesel. However it needs a new speedo sensor and also front control arm bushes. Do these two jobs sound expensive? If so how much roughly?

Hi Blaze,

Will you forward to me the V.I.N (chassis number) to my email address please? Will you also give me an idea of the mileage that the vehicle has travelled as this quite often influences the disassembly time of the front suspension (seized torsion bars, etc)?
Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Melbourne/Victoria)
email: autoacademy@live.com.au

snowy

snowyasked

Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

i have a 2003 v6 auto delica and i iove it but now im getting a crunching noise when using it in reverse in four wheel drive . It sounds like its not going into gears properly but still works. going forward is ok ,any answers please

Hi Snowy,

I'm not too sure where you're located but we can have a look at it for you if you're local. If not, have your mechanic raise the vehicle on a car hoist and operate it in reverse and four wheel drive whilst listening from the underside to pinpoint the source. Once narrowed down, I may be able to advise you on the next step(s).
Hopefully the noise is still audible when the wheels are free spinning up on the hoist and not torque loaded.

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin 03 9553 0518 BH)

Rizalito Celestino

Rizalito Celestinoasked

Delica

our office provided me with a mitsubishi delica 2002 model automatic transmission as my service vehicle. however lately i having trouble with its gear shifting it wont shift down once it shifted to higher gear i sometimes shut off the engine it seems it goes back to low gear but now it seems stuck to 3rd shift. any recommendations on how to repair it? thanks so much

Hi Rizalito,

I'd need to carry out some tests on the vehicle to determine the cause of your problem. Many factors determine the way in which the transmission operates and some of these are influenced by kilometres travelled and management system operation. Are there any warning lamps displaying abnormally on the instrument cluster?
You can phone me during business hours if you like on 03 9553 0518 and I'll run through things with you in more detail.

Treborasked

Delica

What is the general price of a full service for a delica 97 model petrol? Does this include transmission an overdrive. I'm new to cars an dont want to be ripped off... need help.. also what would it cost to put a diesel engine in

Hi Trebor,
A service should cost you roughly $250-$300. This price should include an engine oil and oil filter change. I would also expect a thorough vehicle mechanical inspection including fluid level and tyre checks.
From this point, you would pay additionally for fluid top ups or things like failed light globes, wiper blades, etc.
Recommendations should now be made you in regard to other works that may be required (additional to the 'service') and estimated or quoted costs given with these recommendations.
Note that the prices I'm suggesting are based on the petrol engined versions and not the diesels. Diesel versions use more oil and more expensive filters hence a dearer service cost.
The service won't include transmission and overdrive maintenance in the above costing and these should be suggested for service (if required) by your chosen repairer.
In regard to converting your vehicle to a diesel, my suggestion is to buy a Delica with a diesel engine already factory fitted. It is way too cost prohibitive to convert your petrol engine version when aligned with the market value of a 1997 Deli (just my opinion).
Hope the above helps.

Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria Ph 03 9553 0518 BH)

Trebor

Mate your a Genius. . Spot on once again.. cheers thanks so very much in your help... really appreciate it

Treborasked

Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

My 97 delica has a high rev problem from Sydney to gold coast cost well over $150 in fuel. I use the premium fuel. . It doesn't change gears propley an just hi rev @4500 rpm.. using plenty of fuel. . What may be the problem?

samuay

Have you made sure the overdrive button is on.Also have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for 2 minutes to rest the delicas computer. If neither works check with your nearest delicate mechanic and get their advice or Assistance. Same thing happened to me on one occasion, but only lasted a few minutes.

Samuay has answered your question as well as anyone might. You haven't mentioned at what speed you're traveiling when at 4,500RPM so I'm uncertain as to whether it's an overdrive engagement fault or not engaging gears even prior to overdrive. You should also make certain that the transmission fluid level is at the correct level and that the transmission is not 'slipping' due to a low fluid level.
I'm with Samuay in suggesting having a mechanic (or transmission specialist) look at the problem for you. Best of luck.

Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria Ph 03 9553 0518 BH).

Mitsubishi Delica