Mitsubishi Delica

Mitsubishi Delica Questions & Answers (page 6 of 9)

MK4 (1994-2007), MK5 (2007-Present)
Listing monitored by Mitsubishi

176 questions from our users

Rizalito Celestino
Rizalito Celestinoasked
Delica

our office provided me with a mitsubishi delica 2002 model automatic transmission as my service vehicle. however lately i having trouble with its gear shifting it wont shift down once it shifted to higher gear i sometimes shut off the engine it seems it goes back to low gear but now it seems stuck to 3rd shift. any recommendations on how to repair it? thanks so much

Hi Rizalito,

I'd need to carry out some tests on the vehicle to determine the cause of your problem. Many factors determine the way in which the transmission operates and some of these are influenced by kilometres travelled and management system operation. Are there any warning lamps displaying abnormally on the instrument cluster?
You can phone me during business hours if you like on 03 9553 0518 and I'll run through things with you in more detail.

Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria).

Treborasked
Delica

What is the general price of a full service for a delica 97 model petrol? Does this include transmission an overdrive. I'm new to cars an dont want to be ripped off... need help.. also what would it cost to put a diesel engine in

Hi Trebor,
A service should cost you roughly $250-$300. This price should include an engine oil and oil filter change. I would also expect a thorough vehicle mechanical inspection including fluid level and tyre checks.
From this point, you would pay additionally for fluid top ups or things like failed light globes, wiper blades, etc.
Recommendations should now be made you in regard to other works that may be required (additional to the 'service') and estimated or quoted costs given with these recommendations.
Note that the prices I'm suggesting are based on the petrol engined versions and not the diesels. Diesel versions use more oil and more expensive filters hence a dearer service cost.
The service won't include transmission and overdrive maintenance in the above costing and these should be suggested for service (if required) by your chosen repairer.
In regard to converting your vehicle to a diesel, my suggestion is to buy a Delica with a diesel engine already factory fitted. It is way too cost prohibitive to convert your petrol engine version when aligned with the market value of a 1997 Deli (just my opinion).
Hope the above helps.

Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria Ph 03 9553 0518 BH)

Trebor

Mate your a Genius. . Spot on once again.. cheers thanks so very much in your help... really appreciate it

Treborasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

My 97 delica has a high rev problem from Sydney to gold coast cost well over $150 in fuel. I use the premium fuel. . It doesn't change gears propley an just hi rev @4500 rpm.. using plenty of fuel. . What may be the problem?

samuay

Have you made sure the overdrive button is on.Also have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for 2 minutes to rest the delicas computer. If neither works check with your nearest delicate mechanic and get their advice or Assistance. Same thing happened to me on one occasion, but only lasted a few minutes.

Samuay has answered your question as well as anyone might. You haven't mentioned at what speed you're traveiling when at 4,500RPM so I'm uncertain as to whether it's an overdrive engagement fault or not engaging gears even prior to overdrive. You should also make certain that the transmission fluid level is at the correct level and that the transmission is not 'slipping' due to a low fluid level.
I'm with Samuay in suggesting having a mechanic (or transmission specialist) look at the problem for you. Best of luck.

Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria Ph 03 9553 0518 BH).

Kerrygasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

My delica has excessive pressure buildup in the overflow bottle, I am changing the viscous fan clutch, how can I tell if the water pump needs to be replaced?

Hi Kerry,
There are potentially many, many factors to consider in answering this question. You haven't detailed anything in regard to whether you are having problems with coolant loss or engine overheating which might typically be associated with what you've described. Also, how are you determining that the expansion tank is excessively pressurized?
Is the radiator cap in good order so that it can release pressure over its rated opening pressure or is the cooling system being constantly pressurized by rising coolant temperatures or combustion gases via a failed head/ headgasket???
The water pump efficiency can be tested to some degree by disconnecting the top radiator hose from the radiator and starting the engine to see if water pumps out (forcefully) with the open end of the hose elevated. I don't recommend this procedure if you're not experienced enough to understand that the thermostat needs to be operative and open to carry out this procedure and that you need to have an idea (through experience) of what the expected pump-out volume should look like. There are other ways to more neatly carry out this test but for me, these ways are more time consuming and reach the same conclusion as I'd draw with my own test method.
Are you changing the fan for a good reason or just hoping it might help?

Kerryg

Thanku for ur reply, my delica was overheating after about 15km driving, only losing coolant through overflow, sitting idle temp didnt move, could hear the boiling in the overflow and steam would pour out, mechanic didn't really have a clue, slight inconsistency in radiator water but no pressure problem so he put headgasket sealer in, this made no difference, drove same distance and would overheat, overflow bottle cracked at the join so replaced that, left sit for about 2mths before driving again and now overheats after driving about 1km and pressure is high when tested at overflw. Thermostat has just been replaced. Viscous fan hub was suggested so after taking for a drive put a rolled up newspaper in the fan and it stopped it completely.

samuay

This may well be a cracked or warped head and your delicate may well need a new head, but get advice from a delicate specialist, the delica garage north shore in Victoria can assist you, have a chat with them ASAP

Diane
Dianeasked

Hi,

I have a 2004 Delica and it has just started making a clicking noise on start up, it goes of around 30seconds then stops, it does it every time you start the car, even on hot or cold start up. I just had car serviced last week and all was fine, now this started a few days later Any ideas?

Hi Diane,

It's very hard to answer that question without hearing the noise and knowing from which area of the vehicle it's emanating from.
It could be anything from a relay clicking electrically to an exhaust leak at the turbocharger/ exhaust manifold area which lessens as it warms up quickly.
Are you in Melbourne for me to have a look (and a listen) at the car? If not, you can call me during business hours on 03 9553 0518 whereby we can nut it out together over the phone.

Regards,

Paul - Auto Academy (Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria).
03 9553 0518 BH

samuay

This could be the glow plug relay, happens to me occassionaly, but it stops clicking pretty quick. I replaced all my glow plugs, and now at startup it clicks once after turning on ignition after about 5-10 seconds, then clicks again after about a minute which is normal.

Clappa83
Clappa83asked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

Hi the a/c compressor has died on my 1995 delica diesel. There's one in thinking of buying but it's off a 96 petrol but both are series 1 I believe. The compressor looks the same in the pics but the shafts lengths and pulley types I have no idea. Any help would be awesome?

Hi Clappa,
The petrol one should be the same. The model is MSC130CV which is fitted to both petrol and diesel.

Teliocide
Teliocideasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

I have just bought a 2003 v6 petrol auto. It has 95,000 km on the clock which appears genuine if the export documentation is genuine. Questions: Does this have a timing belt or chain? If belt when should it be changed?
Where can I get a list of Lubricants and filters? There is a small amount of rear diff noise. The noise is most noticeable cruising rather than accelerating or decelerating. Is this normal or cause for concern. ?

Dave
Dave

I have a 2003 v6 auto and we just got our timing belt done at 188000km's

davrosasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

Hi. I am suffering massive fuel consumption in my 1994 delica v6 auto. Getting less than 300 to a full tank. New plugs. Leads. Fuel filter and air filter. I have changed the coolant sensors as well. Driving me nuts. Thanks in advance!

Difficult to say without seeing the vehicle first hand but you may need to look at things like the Mass Air Flow sensor, Exhaust oxygen sensors and fuel pressure regulator. If the problem is as bad as you suggest, the fuel pressure regulator is a likely candidate but needs to be tested by fuel pressure testing the fuel rail to see the actual fuel system operating pressure. You need to also ensure that the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator hasn't perforated thereby allowing raw fuel to be drawn into the attached vacuum hose. This can often be seen by removing the vacuum hose from the reg. and looking for wet fuel. Replace the reg. if wet fuel is evident.

davros

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. I will look at replacing those items today.. the rest of the van is almost new now.. so it cant hurt. Tha ks again

lawrie
lawrieasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

In what years of manufacture did major model changes take place? What is fuel consumption in litres/100 for these model changes?

Hi Lawrie,

Have a look at the Wikipedia page when searching Mitsubishi Delica. It is quite comprehensive in providing the details of the model changes and their years of manufacture.
In regard to the fuel consumption, I don't have the figures for the various vehicles but suspect that this would be easily found with some targeted Googling.
I'd be curious to know whether the 'real world' figures (those of everyday users) are close to the manufacturer posted specifications. If it were me, I'd post a specific question in the Delica Forum asking for Delica owners to report of their fuel consumption experiences. I believe that you could put together a very insightful article for forum readers.

Good luck in getting it all together. I'd love to read the end result.

Regards,

Paul (Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria - Phone 03 9553 0518 BH)

Giorgi Gviniashvili
Giorgi Gviniashviliasked

Hi,

My Delica's regulatory devices start to inflammation, it is yellow light and written HOLD.
It is constantly lit, but the otherwise nothing changed, the car is working as well as before.
Does anyone knows something about it ?

Check the position of the transmission mode selector (LHS of the steering column on the fascia panel). Alter the switch position to see if your telltale light changes.
Theoretically, the vehicle should drive differently if "Hold" has been accidentally selected but you say it's still working well.
Call me on 03 9553 0518 if you can't nut it out. I'll help you over the phone if I can.

Sean Herma
Sean Hermaasked
Delica

May be a stupid question but do the back windows go down at all?

Hi Sean,
They say there's no such thing as a stupid question.....only stupid people....lol.
In regard to your query about the rear windows, they don't go down as such but they do have a latch at the rear of each window glass which allows them to be pushed outward at only the rear edge of the glass; similar to how the quarter vent windows used to operate on old cars.
If you're claustrophobic in any way, they probably won't do you any favours in easing your condition.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria)

Janetasked

Hi
ROOF CONVERSIONS
I am looking to buy/import a Delica Space Gear (between 2000 and 2007) and am wanting to put a pop top in it.
Unfortunately have not found any company that can do the euro tilt conversion for the Delica so am looking at the level scizzor lift. One company can install this but their mould is only for the LWB (which are very hard to get) .

Another company has asked me to give the exact measurements of the roof top for the SWB to see if it is possible for their pop top without too much work.

Many types of tops are readily available for lots of other brands, but it appears not the Mitsubishi, Has anybody in the forum done one Australia? I live in Brisbane.

ROOF SIZE
Also as I am unable to get my hands onto an actual van right now, is there anybody who is able to give me the the exact specs for the roof on both the SWB and the LWB?
Really appreciate any help you can give. Looking forward to getting started.

Thanks Janet.

Hi Janet,
As much as I'd love to help you more with the information that you require, conversions aren't really our area of expertise.
I checked my handbooks for dimensions but as I suspected, they only show the wheel base dimensions and not the roof length.
There may be someone else out there who may have the information that you require as many others also read forum posts. I don't have a Delica on the premises at the moment that I can even run a measuring tape over but I would think that you should be able to find one in Brisbane that you could measure.
Some more Googleing of dimensions may also bear fruit for you.
I wish you the best of luck.
Maybe you could post your findings on this forum to later help others with similar enquiries.

Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria Ph 03 9553 0518)

Janet

Thank you paul, Yes they are a bit of a difficult shape ... Quite rounded apparently.
That was why I needed to ensure could find a roof before importing and compliance etc.
It may be easier to how back to my original idea of old Toyota hiace ...
Not as comfy but some do come up.
The Mazda bongo friendee with its factory fitted roof etc is good for the multiple purposes I want the car for (including a four to six week trip per year) but I was told some over here have had odometers sound back and are getting a bit tired mechanically.
Back yo the search.
Again thanks your time
Regards

piper1234
piper1234asked
Delica

2.8 turbo 1996 space gear reasons for over heating?

Hi Piper.
That's a very, very open ended question. Can you phone me during business hours and I can steer you in the right direction much better than typing every possible scenario that might cause an overheating problem?
My contact details are as follows:
AUTO ACADEMY - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria
Moorabbin, Vic
Ph (03) 9553 0518

newguy
newguyasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

Hey there, new to this but I'm looking at a 1994 Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear 2800 Turbo Diesel with 170000kms on it and wondering if there's any issues that may be up and coming anyone knows of, also in need of break pads, windshield and front driver side headlight, going to see it on Friday so will have a better idea then of the overall shape of the thing but he isn't asking much for it just wondering if anyone wanted to chime in. Thanks!!

Hi newguy,
In answer to your question, there are many, many things to consider from a mechanical point of view when determining whether or not to purchase a specific Delica vehicle.
Whilst the Delica is a great vehicle with much flexibility in its usage potential, you need to bare in mind that the car is over twenty years old and therefore subject to wear and tear as one would expect for a vehicle of these years.
It is imperative that you have the vehicle checked (pre-purchase) by someone very familiar with these vehicles as many general mechanics are not aware of the idiosyncrasies specific to Delicas.
Whilst you suggest that the asking price is quite cheap, one might say that this is only relative to the repair requirements needed to make the vehicle reliable and roadworthy. We at Auto Academy have repaired hundreds of these vehicles and know all too well how easily a repair bill can reach three thousand dollars. This is not great news if you weren't expecting to have to spend that sort of money to make the vehicle reliable and it makes that 'cheap' car now somewhat expensive.
The fact that most purchasers of Delicas intend to use them for extensive travel, makes it even more important that the vehicle is in good order. Some parts of Australia get very hot and desolate, especially when stranded in a vehicle with compromised mechanical reliability.
Good luck with your impending viewing. I hope I've shed some degree of light on not getting trapped by lack of knowledge.
P.S - Be wary of vehicles not offered with a certificate of roadworthiness (or equivalent depending on the State where purchased).

Regards,

Paul (Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria 03 9553 0518).

Benjamin Blanco
Benjamin Blancoasked
Delica

My gears are jammed in first, filled clutch oil,clutch cable is OK but the gears won't change it just stays in first. Any ideas?

Hi Ben,
Does the gear lever move gears with the engine turned off?

Mellenman
Mellenmanasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

I am interested in buying a 1997 delica exceed can I get some advice on this vehicle more information the better?

Hi Mellenman,

What you're asking is likely to involve quite some detail and you may have the need to have very specific questions answered also.
To save me from writing what could possibly be a five thousand word summary of these vehicles, I would prefer that you phoned me during business hours where I can discuss exactly what you need to know.
My phone number is 03 9553 0518 (Paul).
Auto Academy
Moorabbin, Vic. 3189
For what it's worth and if anyone else is looking to buy a Delica, I have for sale one of the nicest examples of a 2001 model Chamonix with a stunning interior. This car has very low kilometres and we've gone over it thoroughly.
It is a V6 3.0 litre engine (automatic) which as you may know, drives much smoother than the 2.8 litre diesel versions. The asking price is $9500 including roadworthy certificate and close to 12 months registration. We endorse this vehicle in every way.

05/04/2016:
Thanks to all of you who enquired about our Delica Chamonix that we had for sale. The van now has a new home and an owner who I hope will get many years of good service from her.
If you need a pre-purchase inspection done on a van you're looking to buy, just give us a call and we should be able to help you out.
Just to remind you, we are in Moorabbin, Victoria (03 9553 0518).

Mailysasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

My car has 230000 km, when should the timing belt change on this car ?
Thanks for your answer.

Hi,

Do you know the service history of the vehicle (and more specifically if and when the timing belt has been replaced previously)?

The timing belt does need to be replaced periodically but this will depend on the odometer reading of it's previous replacement if you know this information.

If you do not categorically know when it was last replaced, I cannot stress the urgency of its immediate replacement.

Let me know what service history you have.

You can phone me during business hours to discuss it further as we'll cover far more ground than through this online medium.

Paul

Auto Academy

Moorabbin, Vic.

Ph 03 9553 0518 BH

Noel

Hey Auto Academy - Paul, my understanding is that all diesel Delica's have a timing chain whereas the petrol ones have a timing belt. I also understand that timing chains have a longer life of around 400,000kms whereas 100,000 is the usually accepted norm for a timing belt. If this is the case I was wondering why you didn't ask what type of engine was fitted to Mailys' vehicle?

Hi.
Thanks for your answers, but i dont Know yet if It is a timing chain or belt.
I have a delica 4WD 1996 diesiel automatic motor model 4M40.

Can you help me to find that ?

piper1234
piper1234asked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

How many Lt of coolent does a 96 2.8 space gear take?

Hi Piper,
If you're specifically referring to the cooling system capacity, then eleven litres is the number you're after.
I say it this way because many refer to "coolant" as meaning corrosion inhibitor or anti-freeze.
Assuming the reason you need to know the exact capacity is because you're adding inhibitor or anti-freeze, then you need to base your mix quantity on the eleven litre cooling system capacity.
You more than likely know this already but I've answered your question in a way that may help others who aren't so mechanically inclined. Hope it helps.

Paul
Auto Academy - mechanic in Moorabbin, Victoria.

Wheels
Wheelsasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

We have a 1995 delica which has an oil like substance leaking from vent inside cab. Any ideas?

samuay

I have no clue,sorry, if you live in Victoria you have the best delica mechanics in Australia,bar none. They are located in coonil crescent north shore near Geelong called Delica garage, these guys will identify and resolve for you at a very reasonable cost. Every issue I had with my beast was always identified and resolved by them, when every single other mechanic(some claiming to be delica specialist's) never resolved the issues, only Ben and phill at delica garage resolved every issue,every time.

Hi Wheels,
To know exactly which vent that you are referring to would be helpful but my first guess is that it may be the refridgerant oil that is normally contained in the sealed air conditioning system.
The vehicle has an evaporator unit which is situated inside the ventilation system under the dash of the car. This evaporator unit sometimes (not often) fails to whatever degree which allows the refridgerant gas and its associated lubricating oil to eject via the air vents.
To know whether or not the air conditioning system is working, not working or reducing in effectiveness may offer some guide as to the likelihood of this scenario.
Similarly to the evaporator unit, the heating system has a heater core which (should) contain cooling system water mixed with either corrosion inhibitor or anti-freeze. These too are oily in nature and may be the source if a heater core (matrix) leak has occurred. This would normally be diagnosed by pressurising the cooling system with a specialised pressure test unit (most mechanics will have one) and attempting to sight a coolant leak. The level of the cooling system header tank may also give a preliminary guide as to whether or not a leak exists. This would typically be indicated by a low coolant level.
I can't think of any other possible causes unless they were profoundly unusual.
Where are you located? We, as you may know are located in Moorabbin, Victoria (Ph 03 9553 0518)
Auto Academy - Delica mechanic in Moorabbin

aabrahamtony
aabrahamtonyasked
Delica MK4 (1994-2007)

the PWR light on the dashboard remains on when I am driving. What does it mean and how do I fix it please?

samuay

The at mode switch on dashboard near air vent left of speedo is most likely flipped up, this activates the pwr light function, just flip it down , but not right down a 2nd time or it activates hold, when you flick down one click the pwr light goes off, usually.

Get an answer from our members and Mitsubishi representatives

Mitsubishi Delica