Mitsubishi Lancer CJ

Mitsubishi Lancer CJ (2007-2015) Questions & Answers (page 2 of 2)

39 questions from our users

DS83asked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Why doesn't the new 2016 My16 lancer have a GPS NAV?

SandyG

It does but only in the VRX and Ralliart versions, Base model only gets regular touch screen sound system with reverse camera

DS83

But I bought the LS model!
Also the MY16 models are ES, LS & GSR.
None of them have a sat Nav.
Ralliart has been discontinued in Australia.

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Can anyone tell me which oil they think is best for lancer 2013, 2.0 ltr auto? Service department at My Mitsubishi dealer doesn't even know what weight or type of oil Lancers use. Simple question and was told check you're log book or sticker on window, poor customer service. EPPING PRESTON MOTERS.

Sammy G

Short version...any engine oil that is fully synthetic and is 0w-30 or 5w-40.

Long version... depends on personal preference for example i love the brands such as CASTROL and PENRITE, i think they are quality products and extremely reasonably priced. Some products i like to use is CASTROL MAGNATEC 5W-30 "FUEL SAVER" OR PENRITE 5W-40 "HPR 5" they are my absolute favorite, however newer versions of both these oils are out which is CASTROL 5W-30 A3B4 "EDGE" AND PENRITE 0W-30 "HPR 0".

Also i would like to add that going to the dealership is one of the worst mistakes ive ever made, they suck you into things that you do not need. They use cheap oils, they barely look into your car and they charge a fortune. Customer service, like you mentioned, is so rare these days. I prefer to know exactly what goes into my car and the quality of the product. Hope it helps :)

SandyG

Hi, When doing 15,000km oil changes only use 5w30 Full Synthetic oil, Service department at my local Mitsubishi dealer use 10w30 Castrol Magnatec semi synthetic.as they get it cheap and in my opinion it breaks down quickly after 10,000km.

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

I own a 2013 lancer LX sedan frm new, my question is I have used 98ron petrol frm day one. My brother owns a lancer 2011 and runs 91/95 Ron and he says no difference frm 98 Ron. Is ok to change to 95/91 Ron after using 98rn for last 45,000klms?

Sammy G

After using 98ron for the past 45000 km is may cause irregularities to the lining of your engine and fuel filter if you change to a cheaper petrol. My suggestion is... next time you need to fill up, use REG 91RON or REG 95RON and NOT E10 ETHANOL. After a while if you do not notice any small tinks and rumbles i strongly suggest using just REGULAR RON fuel for these lancers. I mean these cars are not in racing or performance, a 2.0L japanese motor will run on vegetable oil thats how strong they are. And im sure you are aware of the controversy surrounding OCTANE in fuel, from the past 10 15 years or so, Australian research shows that 91RON is actaully around 88, and 95RON is around 90, and premium 98 or even "PURE 100RON" is acutally around 95. Personally i do want to waste my time on big oil companies screwing the public, I mean if we were talking about an AMG MERCEDES or a NISSAN GTR thats a different story they have massive turbos and high revving engines but in regards to a small engine jap car, it makes no difference at all. Hope tbat helps :)

SandyG

Hi, Your vehicle was designed to run 91 Ron fuel, But its wise to run premium as it lasts longer and it creates a small power increase. You can switch to 95 if you wish it wont hurt your car. But running 91 after all this time the vehicle will drink it and it will create minor pinging.

Joog

Joogasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Hi, I have a 2011 Lancer brought from new and I'm wondering if anyone is having problems with a noise in the motor in take off? It now has 45000 ks and I've had a problem with a noise when I'm taking off after stopping, it's like a winding noise and I'm not sure if it's the clutch or the accelerator. They have fixed it twice now already, as they said it was the oil pump, and it seemed to work for about 8 months but it is now doing it again. I've had it back to the service department a couple of times but when I take it in it won't make the noise. I'm concerned as it runs out of warranty in August.

Peter MANOV

I had similar noise problems when taking of and noisey exaust frm new ?? They changed my Altenator and a piece of the exaust wich caused a vibration wen taking off ? it solved the problem for about 6 months , been back to dealer had moter checked and was told the 2.0 litre moters are noisey but generall consensus says they are good moters , I'd still take it back or take a video when you're car is makeing the noise and show the dealer ?? Good luck , Peter MANOV

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Hi, any noisy moters or exaust noise from lancers 2012/16, dealer seems to be telling me that all lancers have noisy tapetts at cold start. Only started after 45,000klms service. HELP!

Rob

I have a 2013 and it dosent sound like a tapping noise when starting up. I would take it back and get it checked while it is still under warranty.

Marko
Marko

Take your vehicle back to the dealer and compare your vehicle to another Lancer, 45000 ks is still low so tappets should not be excessively noisy. If you're not happy with the outcome demand your vehicle be repaired. Same with the exhaust noise. Good luck. Thanks

mac
mac

I had a similar tapping noise after a service with my 2011 Lancer. I took it back to Mitsubishi and it ended up being a "carbon canister filter (for fuel vapor)" that was broken and making a tapping noise.

Robasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

I have a Lancer 2013 brought second hand my Bluetooth security password is locked and we can't find the password. I have been told to delete the password to hold down the hang up button 2 seconds 3 times in 10 seconds, with the radio on, my question is what program or channel do I have the radio on to do this? Thank you it's driving me crazy

Ed R
Ed R

Hi Rob,
Sorry, but I don't have the answer to your question. You could try the online forums - look up ClubCJ and check through the forums there and/or ask the question.
Cheers.

X4V1ER
X4V1ER

Sorry Rob, checked the manual and didn't find an answer

dannynasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

I just bought a 2013 lancer es auto but noticed very loud cabin noise n sounds like eco noise or a window is slightly open. Any ideas? Thanks

Stu
Stu

Hi only that the wrong tyers are very noisy on this car. We put dunlop fuel saver tyers on and found these much better.

dannyn

Thanks stu. Much appreciated. Hope that works.

Geoff
Geoff

have a body and door aligment check.
Enshoring that all the windows are fully seated full depth and fully up into the top door chanel seal, sugest use a white board marker or chiner pencile ,draw a line at top of windows outer seal, then lower windods to see that all windows are evenly marked distance from the top ,adujust if required ..
Door seales are about 40mm short ,obtain another eg wreckers / parts sales have cut int 4 X 40mm pieaces remove existing and refite with extra 40mm pieaces.
Check the air vent flap is working ,located in boot left side rear lower stowage hole under mat and board support.
CJ are noted for road noise and a trye repair patch is amplified ..
The road nois is realy reducet with,
MICHELIN PRIMACY LC 205/60 R16 90V are efective Thannks to ``Silent Rib " Technology .
Difering tread coloumb paterns and difering pitch patern lengths, off tread blocks reduces road noise harmonicks..
The shape and distribution of the groves, gives the intermediate rib consistent rigidity around the circumference of the tyre .

Mustafa.Ozcan94

Mustafa.Ozcan94asked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

I have a lancer vrx 2008 model. The fuel meter keeps playing up. say i have 100kms to refill if i drive 2kms the fuel shows that i have 90 kms left?

Brian

Hi Ive noticed the distance left to travel on a tank fluctuates depending on your fuel consumption at that minute. EG if driving hard for a few kilometres, the distance can drop 50 km. Also its rounded to 10 Km blocks, so can easily drop from 100 to 90 (eg you may have been at 96, and now at 94 km).

brian

It could be the float though the better option is try to have it repaired when you can.

Mell

Mellasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

I have a lancer and I got it seven years ago the paint is peeling and bubbling and my car just looks ugly I contacted a dealership and they were no help.
Please help me

aussietaff

There has been a problem in the past with paint problems on certain year models of the Lancer, I remember one was on the roof, where it was coming through from the inside.
It is probably a waste of time taking it up with a dealer, they sell cars, they are not interested in problems.
I would take the matter up with the Service Department at the Head Office of Mitsubishi, in Australia.
Fully describe the problem, and let them know how unhappy you are about this condition. Good Luck

Hi, I am in Brisbane and have a 2007 Mitsubishi lancer -lighning blue in colour. My entire car's clear coat has started to bubble and chip off. My car looks horrible and I have taken it down to my local dealership and they have lodge a complaint on my behalf to head office. This was before Christmas and I am still to hear anything, despite me calling them every 4 weeks or so. Where are you in Australia. Up until now, my car has been awesome. I always keep it clean and tidy and now it looks like a heap of crap, I am actually embarrassed to be seen in it. Hopefully we can get something sorted for Mitsubishi, as its not fair.

brian

You probably need a new paint job though do not just go into any shop to have it done as it is best to look around for a good panel beater shop

mmignone11

mmignone11asked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Anyone had a major service done on their Ralliart Lancer? Mine is 09 model and coming up to that time, Im wondering how much $$$ this would set me back (roughly).

aussietaff

It depends a lot on the Kms. done, If you are getting near 100'000kms it is time to think about the Timing replacement rubber. Usually cheaper at a Service Mechanic rather than a dealer. Service about $250, timing about $1000.

Furby71
Furby71

no timing belts on the 09 ralliart lancer's...chain only...also if major service done at a dealership make sure they are qualified to service the ralliart models as some normal dealerships won't touch them, looking around $1,500 + for major sevice

Brianasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

I have a 2009 mitsubshi lancer ralliart which is great but the only fault I have is that it has a lot of road noise is this normal would it be the brand of tyres and if so could someone recommend a quite brand?
Cheers brian

ibfragalot
ibfragalot

That's one thing I realised I did'nt mention afterwards, the road noise. That's about the only thing (apart from the drone of the CRV transmission) which annoys me.

Some US forums have mentioned much quieter tyres, maybe look there.

aussietaff

The Dealer actually told me it was the Tyres, they are Yokohama, which comes as standard when car is new. Mine are getting to the stage where they will have to be replaced. I have been asking Mastercraft about their tyres and they advise they are classed as a Low Noise Tyre. Also their tread is deeper than most others. They give up to 80,000kms warranty. I will get them soon, they are no more expensive than others.

brian

There are a few good tyres brands such as good year, Bridgestone along with Yokohama tyres though I would have to recommend to stay away from the hankook brand tyres though if you.want to spend even more money for 5 new tyres I would recommend Michellen and pirelli tyres

Gary Jacobson

Gary Jacobsonasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Should the mitsubishi lancer 2012 ralliart engine seize after only missing 2 services with only 60000 kms without engine or oil warnings on dash?

Craig
Craig

Yes if you ran out of oil ,,, oil acts as a lubrication aswell as a coolant for mechanical parts

ray
ray

Yes. A ralliart is a high performance car and it needs to be maintained otherwise major problems can occur. Any car that has gone 60000ks without a service will have problems. This is why you never buy a second hand car.

brian

I would not bother to rebuild the engine as the oil could have leaked out and warped the engine / I would buy another engine that is still working well and then rebuild it or buy a brand new engine to fit the mistsubishi lancer car

arb

arbasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Have a 2011 Lancer, manual transmission (purchased brand new). Overall I have been really happy with it, but keen to know if anyone else has issues with carbon build up in throttle body? It's never really idled properly (revs seem too high upon first start up of the day), Mitsubishi service person told me "it's just the way new cars are now, helps engine heat up quicker" ... I'm not convinced. Occasionally it has trouble starting, sounds like an 80 year old car! I was surprised when Mitsubishi called me during it’s 2nd service (2 years old) saying that the throttle body had carbon build up and needing cleaning…an EXTRA $130 on top of the so called ‘fixed price service’ of $195! I was told it would idle and start better, and would not need doing again for another 2 – 3 years. I noticed no difference. It’s going in for 3rd service this week, I have no doubt I will get the phone call telling me ‘throttle body needs cleaning’. Curious to know if this is a common issue with this model?

kas05
kas05

I don't get my car serviced by the dealer as I have heard of too many instances of a mechanic finding out that when the dealers are supposed to have serviced the car , they haven't replaced filters & oil etc.when they should have ( & still charged for it) t mine serviced by a reliable mechanic who said he hasn't heard of the Lancer having throttle body problems

Michael012
Michael012

Hi arb, We have not experienced carbon build up in the throttle body or any other engine issues with our Lancer which continues to run very well with very low servicing costs.

brian

That doesn't sound right / as long as you had the problem solved I suppose

ren

renasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

what is a lancer cj sx my11 like as a car and how much would I expect to pay for one please?

Cat
Cat

I have owned a 2005 es lancer previously I thought it was quite a good car, how ever it is hard to say as two people on separate occasions ran into the side of it (while parked...) causing over $10000 and another truck failed to give way at an intersection and T-boned me causing over $10000 again. started having problems with it then, although at this point it was 5 years old. I managed to get $10000 as a trade in at this point and I think it had about 60000km on it and I paid $19000 when it was new.

I now have a lancer 2013 model bought in January brand new for $18000. I recently went back and asked while I was getting it serviced (15000km) how much I could get for it as a trade in and was told $9000 for what a joke!
So over all I think lancers are a good car, good on fuel, and fairly cheap to service as long as you dont take it to Mitsubishi! I had a quick look on carsguide.com.au and I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 with good km.

Andrew1964

I like the Lancer. I think its the best buy in the class of medium car, I find it has no bad points at all in my experience and in my opinion, but of coursenall buyers are different.

What do you want from your car? What is important to you?

My2011 sedan should be in the $10-15000 bracket. Get someone who you can trust to thoroughly check the car. Read the used car and product reviews , for example- there are a few complaints about paint work in 2010 and newer.

Also remember some complaints are not the cars fault but the owner...someone wrote they have to pay for a new "hydraulic"....well, there IS NO "hydraulic"...either they forgot the rest of the sentence, or they are being robbed by an unscrupulous mechanic.

Good luck!

Terry Stewart

Terry Stewartasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

How economical is a 2008 lancer?

brian

Sorry I can't answer that question / perhaps you could try contacting Mitsubishi Australia or google the question into the Australian google search engine and might have some luck.

Unknown

Unknownasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Has anyone else had problems with the paint work on the Mitsubishi lancer ES sedan? Mine is bubbling. It is a 2009 model and I don't feel this is normal. The damage is quite extensive. I took it in to a Mitsubishi dealership and the man was horrible to me and told me I obviously didn't love my car. :-(

Slazmo

Fella, Fair Trading would be my first stop! Mitsubishi seems to be taking a dive lately and going somewhere unforseen with their cars and their quality even in dealerships... Paint bubbling after 5 years may occur - however with today's 'úber' baked on 2 pack stuff it shouldn't even hase after that time!

squala

Mitsubishi paint quality is quite rubbish. It can be scratched even with blunt objects. The layer is so thin, as if they didn't want to paint the car at all. But bubbles are inexcusable. It's a factory defect and you have to push hard to get it sorted out. If you bought it new, Mitsubishi is obliged to fix any paint damage not caused by yourself, other people or mother nature. Talk to another person from your dealership if the first one is horrible. You can also contact Mitsubishi headquarters to report your issue and the unwillingness of that man to assist.

Louise
Louise

I live Perth. The clear paint work on my metallic blue 2008 lancer has started peeling badly all of a sudden. Apparently paint bubbling and peeling it is a known issue with Mitsubishi and they have a goodwill repair policy on it, but I've been told getting them to attend to the re-painting of the car is a drama and you have to keep at them. Please post an update on how you have fared getting your paint issue attended to as I would like to know how to go about getting them to do it without all the pain of nagging. My car is just 2 months out of warranty and the hydraulic unit has also just gone, another known issue, but they have agreed to the goodwill repair so I am just awaiting parts to arrive to book it back in.

Gurinder

Gurinderasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

I bought a new Mitsubishi Lancer - Active model in August 2012. On Thursday (07/03/2013), I used air conditioner due to hot weather and later parked my car in our secure/restricted office car parking. After I returned to my car in about 2-3 hours time, I was shocked to find that the rear screen/glass of my car (Mitsubishi Lancer - Active model) was totally shattered. As soon as I opened the rear door, the cracked/shattered glass just collapsed. This was clearly a manufacturing defect in the glass as it could not withstand the temperature difference.
However, I was shocked when my dealer (Parramatta Motor Group) refused to accept my version and said this is not covered under the warranty unless someone has physically seen the shattering. I want to take this matter further (including media/social media etc) as I believe this is injustice and I have witnesses who have seen the shattered glass with no signs of any incident. Kindly advise what are my options and where can I complain? Thx.

Slazmo

Probably a glass imperfection - however likely / unlikely? I guess you can write to Mitsu Australia however not sure what you can do about it - if there are no other cases like this they may just put you in the too hard basket... Temperature indifferences shouldn't allow the glass to crack, unless there are stresses in the car that are transferring to the glass window, as these forward and rear glasses actually aide in the card structural integrity... Something's amiss here mate and I hope you get it resolved. I assure you that I will not buy a new Mitsubishi because they're just loosing touch with everything they do these days.

squala

Alas, this a tough call. With shattered glass, it's hard to prove whether or not it's a defect. You may have a case if the car has been hail damaged and was sold to you in that state. Perhaps you can also request for security footage as it can show how the glass shattered in the place. Otherwise, won't insurance cover you for it?

Izo

Izoasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Planning to buy 2006/2007 Mitsubishi lancer; done around 60,000 I have not great reviews of Mitsubishi lancers so far; I intend to be using this car for long drives doing around 100km each day. Wondering if this is a reliable car.

I will not touch Mitsubishi Lancers ever again. My misubishi lancer 2011 was tatal LEMON . If you ever want to buy a Lancer make sure it is yellow color ( color of lemon). It is my experience with my 2011 lancer. It cost me $10000.00 , loss of income and getting rade of that lemon.

^^^ Can you at least elaborate more on how your Lancer was so unreliable? ^^^

Andrew1964

We are very happy with our 2007 CJ Lancer ES.
I searched long and hard to find negative history of their reliability. The mechanics I know well had nothing but good things to say, in fact he is looking for one himself.

The smaller private mechanic shops seem to have no trouble communicating with the computer at service time (this was a pain with our volvo in tassie).

When we had some minor accident damage happen the parts came in a couple of days.

Fear not, dont appear to be any indemic problems with the CJ Lancer, but as always have the car thoroughly checked out before you buy.

MC_jess

MC_jessasked

Lancer CJ (2007-2015)

Any problems with a Mitsubishi lancer vr 2008? Thinking of buying this one but has done 120,000. Thoughts

Slazmo

Just get RACQ or whoever in your state does car assessments done, also check for rattles and squeaks as the new Lancers are not as 'sound' as the older models. 120,000km's isnt a great deal of kilometres for modern cars as long as they've had their oils changed at the regular service intervals and have been looked after that kilometerage isn't too high at all.

squala

The average annual kilometers is between 15,000 and 20,000. It looks like that car does around 30,000 a year, so it's being used a fair bit. But Slazmo is right; consistent service is more important than odometer reading. It's also a good time to haggle more in this case.

Other Sedans