16Mitsubishi Mirage

Mitsubishi Mirage Questions & Answers

vinnie t.
vinnie t. · Mirage CE (1996-2003)

Does anyone know if the hatchback door is the same in a 2000 model as a 2003

Wendy
Wendy · Mirage CE (1996-2003)

Does the 1999 tailgate fit a 1998 ce mirage?

domw
domw

Sorry Wendy, I am not a panel beater or other expert to answer this question, perhaps the Mitsubishi parts department can look up the spare parts catalogue for you and check if the parts number is the same for both components in both years.

But I can offer a bit of advice to Misubishi owners with vehicles under warranty: I walked into Southside Mitsubishi in Perth to have an intermittent screen looked at and was immediately confronted with a request for a $100 or so "diagnostic fee". Advised the gentleman that this was a vehicle under warranty and walked as the screen was lit at that time. Came back some other time with the vehicle running and a dead screen as proof of a problem under warranty. Turns out a two-stage fuse was only pressed in to the first stage leading to intermittent loss of power to the screen. Had I agreed to pay the "diagnostic fee", I would now be $100 poorer!

RussellHill
RussellHill · Mirage CE (1996-2003)

Will a 1996 mirage backseat headrest fit a 1999 backseat?

David P.
David P. · Mirage

My fan, clock, and radio are not working. I Changed the battery in the keyfob and all was well for about 15 min I turned it off and again, no clock, fan, or radio. Help me please!

Shan
Shan · LA (Hatchback) LS CVT (2013-2024)

Hi, I just purchased a 2014 mirage and in trying to figure out why the aircon isn't blowing cold air, I've noticed the radiator fan isn't spinning - that I have seen. I haven't done any long trips in it yet, generally only 10 minute drives so far. My question is, how long should it take for the fan to kick in? I am scared to drive far in case the fan isn't working!
Thank you for any help!

j.chilton5
j.chilton5

Radiator fan should only kick in when it needs to i.e. it won't spin as soon as you turn on the car. It will eventually start spinning when you are stuck in traffic (you'll hear it click on) but shouldn't need to if you're driving in normal conditions as there is enough cooling via the normal airflow over the radiator.

Phil
Phil · Mirage CE (1996-2003)

2002 mirage 1.5 manual. What are the timing belt service intervals please

Koala27

I do mine every 100,000 km - also change all the other belts and check water pump for leaks while doing the timing belt. replacing a leaky pump works out cheaper if done during the timing belt replacement.

Melanie Diss
Melanie Diss · Mirage CE (1996-2003)

I have a manual Mirage 2003 As the engine is fairly basic I'd like to do basic maintenance; oil change, oil filter replacement,brakes etc myself. Where is the best place to find D.I.Y. information?
Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Veronica R.
Veronica R. · Mirage

Does it have power steering

Mohamed sekek
Mohamed sekek

Yes just check before you buy

Zak
Zak · Mirage CE (1996-2003)

Hi guys, which oil viscosity I should use for it?
10w30 or 10w40?
My car has done 140k & it's 2000 model

Thanks a lot

Koala27

25W50 mineral oil is the standard, but I have use Semi Synthetic 10W40 on my 2003 model without any problems.

Armani S
Armani S · Mirage CE (1996-2003)

How to change engine oil?

sthajay

It is easy but if you dont have knowledge please check youtube videos if you are willing to do it. But i recommend take it to mechanic. Dont risk it.

Nel
Nel · Mirage CE (1996-2003)

Anyone knows the code of radio for Mitsubishi mirage ce..bought second-hand car but no manual

sthajay

i had mitsubishi mirage before and radio code was 3152, try if it works.

haidy1970
haidy1970 · Mirage LA (2013-2024)

Just purchased a la 2016 mirage, very impressed with it, the only problem it has no temp gauge, it has a green temp warning light when you first start the car up it, that warning light goes out once car reached operating temp when you drive short distance up the road, also a red light if it over heats, the green one for low coolant.

Is it possible to get a temp gauge there is a space for a gauge does Mitibishi make a gauge.

IntrepidAussie
IntrepidAussie

It's not something I've noticed, sorry. I guess that modern radiators are so reliable these days that it's not something I think about. Check with your dealer.

Diana0777
Diana0777

I purchased my Mirage in January 2017 at the 2016 plate clearance, it is a 2016 model, I have exactly the same issue with the green temp warning light coming on when you first start up the car then going off by itself a little later. I was going to bring this up at my 1500km service... but since you are having this issue also, perhaps it is a common thing.

Cfm
Cfm · Mirage

I'm looking at buying a 1996 model with 190750 kilometres, the price they are asking for is offers 1600, just curious if with having these kilometres it's going to not be working to well for much longer?

Adam
Adam

Hi cfm,

Thanks for your question.

1996 Mirage (almost 20 years old car) with 190K means the life of the car has almost gone.

Keep in mind that if you buy this car, you have to do a major service when it hits 200K. The biggest service would be, changing the timing belt, (which can cost approximately $300-$400) and you also need to check and replace breaking pads and disks if necessary.

My advice is, if you really need to buy this car, take it to a mechanic and get a complete assessment what's needs to be done or not.

Adam.

Morgul

Adam is right - no matter what 2nd hand car you're buying, spend a couple of hundred dollars and get a full inspection ( NRMA or similar ) - you just might save yourself a lot of grief and $$$$$$. Having said that, a well-looked-after Mirage is pretty much bulletproof. Have had our 1997 manual model since new and it now has 150000km on the clock.Over and above normal running costs ( oil, plugs, filters, tyres, brake pads etc etc ) it has cost about $1200 in repairs over the past 18 years. Have replaced the timing belt twice, the brake booster once ( slight leak ) and the gear selector gate.

$1600 for a 1996 model is below the average. Cars advertised on www.carsales.com.au today vary from $1800-2500 for a manual and $4000 for an auto. Odometer readings vary from 109000 to 338000km

With 190000km on the clock, the life of the car you're looking at will be dependent on how well it has been looked after. Get an inspection and good luck.

Tammi · Mirage

I'm looking at purchasing a new mitsubishi mirage 2014 model, however I'm comparing this one and a 2010 suzuki swift.. has there been any problems with the mitsibushi mirage es model of 2014? Are they good little cars? I've found little reviews of the 2014 models so any opinions will help!

Morgul

Mitsubishi's are usually bullet-proof. Our 1997 Mirage has never missed a beat. By comparison, the new Mirage is quite small with a small motor, so don't expect anything spectacular. It would be a great little car for tootling around town.

For a review, go to www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-services/reviews/mitsubishi and then look for the Mirage.

Tammi

Hi Morgul, I'm looking at doing country drives as well and am a bit worried about the small engine and long drives, I'm going to be doing the entire nsw coast!!

Jeff

Hi Tammy,have had no problems so far,bought Car new,goes very well uses very little petrol,I'm very happy with Mirage.

Tammi

Hi sharki I have bought the new one!! I got a blue one as well and have been waiting for two weeks now to finally get it!! I hope it lives up to everything as promised! I got the Ls version for cruise control!

Jeff

Congrats Tammy,hope your as happy with your New car as I am,I got Windows tinted last week,looks great,enjoy your New ride

selwynsharp
selwynsharp · Mirage

One of my rear tyres is worn bad on the inside edge like one does when on the front and out of alinememt i have had it from new and drive with care never any bangs . had it serviced by the deler and they said i need a new rear tyre it has only done 30.000 i would think that the front would ware out before the rear . is this commin on this little car . great on petrol driving with care i use les than 5 ltrs per 100 ks. all other tyres are good . can you help

aMaNameDan
aMaNameDan

I would go to the dealer and ask them why this is happening, if they are no help contact a tyre specialist au has Bridgestone, Kmart Auto or Goodyear to get their opinion. I agree that this is quite strange And have never run into this problem on any car.

mark
mark

Check tyre pressure, this is common If left for a long time unnoticed

p baochan
p baochan · Mirage

the 2000 model does not have power steering. Is this correct? Is this a major problem?

Porkie
Porkie

Mine had power steering, i'm not sure if it was a factory option or not? i'm fairly sure it was standard...but Best to check when you test drive the car.

Slazmo
Slazmo

Mine was not fitted with power steering - however my upgrades with wheels and tires saw 16"x 7.5" tyres - you just have to crawl the car forward or backward and turn the steering wheel and not fight it. I never saw the need all through those 6 years I owned my Mirage.

Get an answer from our members and Mitsubishi representatives

Select a listing for your question
Mitsubishi Mirage