16Mitsubishi Mirage

GeorgianaVIC, 346112 posts
Dutchy
DutchyBargo9 posts

Very good and reliable

We've had this car for nearly a year now without any problems. Performance is not bad for such a little engine and handling is good. The inside is roomier than it looks and looks well finished. I've sat in the back seat and had plenty of legroom. We have been driving Mitsubishi cars since 1972 and find them reliable and getting better all the time.

Steve
Tim
Tim

2014 Mirage review

12 months of owning a 2014 Mirage, used daily to work, with a few minor issues:

Door unlock remote stopped working after 4 months, dealer replaced at first service.

Evidence of rust in the engine bay, will show dealer at next service.

Gentle knock from accelerator pedal heard/felt occasionally (usually within first few minutes of start up).

USB connector in glove-box, not very user friendly location.

Bluetooth hands free performs well, phone pairing is a snap.

Cruises at 100km/hr comfortably.

Conclusion: Cheap economical motoring simple and effective, built for purpose to get from A to B.

Naomi
NaomiNewcastle2 posts
Rob P
Rob P3 posts
sthajay
sthajayMelbourne8 posts

2002 Mitsubishi Mirage Manual

Bought second hand 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage 5 speed manual 3 dr Hatchback on 07/02/2012 with 110000kms on the odo. Excellent small car, extremely agile, reliable, smooth gear shift and spacious. Fit dishwasher, bbq, tools, so much. Just normal engine oil, filters and brakes changes till 140000kms. Fuel economy 6.6 lts/100 kms pretty good even on busy city road. Trade in this year to bigger car, Mitsubishi Outlander.

Adam
Adam2 posts

Pre 2003 Mirages are unbreakable

Hi,

I bought a 98 Mirage bought 5 years ago thinking that I will use and dump into scrap yard after few years. So I didn't do any service. Never changed the oil engine and etc. Ran 30K for 3 years and guess what, I never had any issues. It never disappointed me. After 3 years without any services done, I sold it to one my friend. Now this is his 2nd year with the car. He told me he has minor service (changed engine oil and air filter) and that's it for the last 5 years. Still running smooth and still water coming from exhausted as it is a new car. Unbelievable!!

Morgul
Morgul3 posts
  CE

Not a patch on the old one

Bought a new manual Mirage in February 1997 and it now has close to 150000kms on the clock. One of the best cars we'e ever owned. In 18 years it has cost almost zero apart from normal, regular maintenance.

Took a new one for a test drive - not a patch on the old one, even though the new one has all of the modern safety features. Dealer offered me $200 as a trade-in, which they'd probably sell for $4000.

So the old girl will stay in the stable and is probably good for another 18 years or more.

Jeff
JeffSydney17 posts

Very happy with new Mirage

Have had my new Mirage now for 4 weeks 2014 MY15, upgraded from a 1998 model. Base model ES CVT has all the safety gear and connectivity you would need, voice control for phone calls works perfect every time, fairly perky performance for a tiny motor, heaps of room inside, picked mine up for 15k, blue with wheel and wing package, 5yr warranty, 4yr capped price servicing and 4yr roadside assist + 3yr free car wash :] Bargain!!!!!

Rhiannon Edwards
Rhiannon Edwards

Great car

I have the 2003 manual Mirage. It's the best little car, very fuel efficient and never misses a beat. Mines on 186000km at the moment and still going strong. Holds a lot for a small car and won't buy anything but a Mitsubishi again.

Norman
NormanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC13 posts

What a suprise

I test drove a Manual ES model today and even though the salesmen had to teach me how to drive manual before I could drive it I court on quickly and really enjoyed it for $12,990 it was a fantastic deal. Before driving it the Toyota salesmen told me how cheap and rubbish it was but after he drove it he knew it was a winner. My only problem I've got an Automatic license but I will definitely be getting a manual one asap.

Newsell
NewsellAU28 posts

New Mirage Much Better Than Expected

I am a fan of 3 cylinder cars for their eager and thrifty performance. The new mirage I test drove was a CVT auto and took off from standing still to 80km/h very quickly on a main major city road. The ride and handling were more than adequate for a compact city light car and the brakes were arresting. The motor has a distinct sporty note that Daihatsu owners would be familiar with. The interior is large and the seats are very comfortable. Only standard unleaded fuel is required meaning further fuel bowser savings. The pricing is also keen in the marketplace.
A true modern economy car, takes over from where Daihatsu left off

aMaNameDan
Leslie RozsnyoiSydney, NSW4 posts
PBR-Streetgang
PBR-StreetgangSouth East Queensland, QLD7 posts

Great Run-around Car

"It's no compromise of standard features..." is not quite true, in fact the 97 Mirage is missing some that would be considered standard, like a CD Player or Power Steering. If you can do without these then the car is a good one for you, However if you are elderly i think the lack of Power Steering could be too big a negative to buy one.

Overall I find the car to be a good drive, reliable, and value for money.
Reliable, good fuel economy, fair bit of room for a small car.
No Power Steering, No CD Player Show details

Kate Cani
Kate CaniAustralia2 posts

My dream car!

I always got envied someone driving mirage. I always find myself drooling whenever it passes by me. Perhaps, a year or 2, I can afford to buy one for myself. I was able to drive mirage when I insisted my friend that I will drive on our way to the beach. It was easy to control, the seat was comfortable, the aircon was seamless, everything was perfect! I envied my friend for having one. Until that I'm saving my money for 1. Finger crossed ^^

Cosmic kicker
Cosmic kickerWide Bay-Burnett, QLD36 posts

Nice - Looking

I took 1 for a test drive today, on paper this car is excellent value, it drove ok, up to 60kh a slight vibration on take off, this version is the LS CVT, the seats are very comfortable the climate control superb, and as I said up to 60kh it was almost smooth, it just felt a little unsteady at times. On the highway the body roll was scary, so this car is perfect for the city dweller, I wouldn't buy 1.
Seats very comfortable, climate control awesome, warrenty and service 5 yrs and the capped price is 250 every year for 4 years.
Body roll, engine noise, vibration at start and take off, and bootsize. Show details
Happy-chappy
Happy-chappyNorth Bondi3 posts
paul
paulperth

Great for the money 2013 ES

It's a good buy and very cheap to run! 4.6 to 5.5 lt per hundred on a 80km round trip to work. Don't like the clutch or the very light steering but everything else is good. Gearbox not the best but can live with the 5 speed it may loosen up with age. It does 100kmh plus easy and is perfect.

Benjamin Ng
Benjamin NgAU4 posts
SlazmoSouth East Queensland, QLD507 posts

mirageme
mirageme

OK

Good city car for BIG people, but gutless on highway when overtaking or going up hill with airconditioner on. (automatic) Very reliable, easy to manoevre, but is set a little too low.
As a BIG person this small car is ideal. Plenty of room in the front. Ideal as a single person car. Fuel is economical and I drive around 500km per week.
No power when overtaking. Quite dangerous in fact. The Airconditioner bolts (assembly to the fan) have come loose twice and lost completely once. As this fan also drive the power steering it was quite dangerous. Can't hear the radio on the highway with the roadnoise. Red paint fades badly even after protective coat. Show details
mitsi
mitsiMELBOURNE

little beast

a great little car i recommend a mirage to any one anyday I've been on allot of road trips in mine i have had it for about 3 years now its my pride and joy. it is my first car i would buy another mirage anyday thay are about 1 of the best small cars made great on fuel i love it. Its very reliable never had not 1 problom with it its easy for parking. its well made very nice car to drive but sadly i'll have to sell my little beast soon as its a small car I'll miss it. any i looking for a cheap small car go and buy a mirage you will love it.
very reliable a great little car
road noise. A bit more power on big hills would be nice but its not too bad. Show details
countvoncar
countvoncarAU
russ66
russ66AU7 posts
  CE

Great reliable small car,a perfect run about thats easy to park,has a sporty look that stops most guys calling it a girls car,I would recommend the Mirage to any one.
Owned 2 Mirages A 1996 model and a 2000 model. Nice cars to drive build quality is great and I found them to very reliable vehicles. What your getting is really a hatch back lancer, I current model lancer 2 door hatch would be more appealing than a colt.
Would have been great to get the 2 Ltr Mivec engine that was available in japan Show details
redwagon
redwagonGippsland, VIC3 posts
Porkie
PorkieAU5 posts
  CE

Best little car i've ever driven!

This was my very first car and I still think it's a great little car, easy to drive around town, super easy to park and great on fuel! Boot and cabin space was fantastic! Engine is built like a little tank, would take heaps of punishment and took modification very well! It also took to the highway very well and only struggled a little going up hills. Styling is great, especially with aftermarket wing and rims. Would highly recommend this car to anyone!
Reliable, inexpensive, fuel economy, alot of aftermarket modifications, and perfect for around town.
Drum brakes Show details
mitz_mirage
mitz_mirage
belindamcleod
belindamcleodGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC4 posts
  CE

Good

very good vehicle for a single girl as it runs smoothly and fits in to small spaces and is very reliable.
runs smoothly
3 doors Show details
claasscholz
claasscholzPerth, Western Australia2 posts
vinpav
vinpavHunter Region, NSW10 posts

OK

Good troublefree motoring, but very gutless. very basic could probrably get more bells and whistles on Korean cars for less $.
2001 Auto model with Air and Power steeringNow have 88,000kms used for city commutingLow fuel consumptionTroublefree motoringInexpensive servicing and insuranceplenty of room in front for a tall male
very very basic (instrumentation, no electric windows)Very very gutless, lack of acceleration can be quite dangerous.Red colour has faded badly even with paint protection and always being garaged at home/office. Show details

Somerset
Somerset
  CE

Good

Has been a very reliable car,with a very smooth and quiet engine.On country trips, it barely moves when a big truck passes the other way as it is so aerodynamic.I have had very good service from the Mitsubishi dealer in Adelaide.
Nice wedge shape, very aerodynamic, good fuel consumption,nice weight to gearchange, very good heating & cooling, handy hatchback, supportive seats.
Rather crunchy reverse gear selection, harsh ride with light load. Show details
billios
billios6 posts
  CE

Good

Its a very nice small car. I highly recommend this car anyone. It's very basic, not too many electronics and makes driving very enjoable. Big thumbs up.
Very small car to buzz around the city especially parking. Very relliable, I had it for abour 2 years which I bought as a second owner and had no problems at all.It's very economical especially with petrol prices now.
The only thing I disliked was the power, this one was automatic and was too slow especially when you wanted to overtake. The stereo was very average, it needs replacing if you appreciate good sound. Show details
Memphis35