13Mitsubishi Outlander

Mitsubishi Outlander Questions & Answers

Rob
Rob · Outlander 4th Generation (ZM) (2021-2024)

What tyre sizes

Sam
Sam · Outlander

I bought a second hand outlander 2013, Headlights stays on while driving it only turn off when the engine is turned off.Relay is fine.It failed for RWC.Any suggestions for fixing this issue ?

Gtsang

Maybe best to check with a Mitsubishi service centre

Robert Linton
Robert Linton

Sorry, no idea other than mitsubishi is not well designed. Has lots of problems with my 2014 rvr with only 180, 000 km. My Camry had over 400.000 before a deer collided with me.

jange r.
jange r. · Outlander 2WD LS (2021-2024)

Is there any button to open the tailgate in the Outlander LS 2wd model?

Gtsang

Power tailgate comes with Aspire model and above only

Clyde
Clyde

It was offered in LS up until May 2022, when the semiconductor shortage became worse.

Phil. P
Phil. P · Outlander 3rd Generation (ZJ, ZK, ZL) (2012-2020)

Hi, I just bought a 2012 Mitsubishi outlander ES ZJ with a type 2 dash style. Does it have a temperature guage? There is no temperature guage only a fuel guage in the dash read out. Or is there a trick to it? Thanks

Gtsang

Hi Phil, Not too sure about the 2012 model. I'd suggest you check with your local Mitsubishi dealer.

Jennifer B.
Jennifer B. · Outlander 3rd Generation (ZJ, ZK, ZL) (2012-2020)

Hi there, looking to purchase 2012 LS ZJ 2.3L Diesel from dealer 171700kms, are there any problems with this model?

Gtsang

Hi Jenifer, Not too sure about this model. Best to have a mechanic to check before purchase.

John M.
John M. · Outlander 4th Generation (ZM) (2021-2024)

Whats the difference between ES and ZM.

Gtsang

Hi John, I believe “ZM” is the series of this Outlander. “ES” is a model within this range.

Justine H.
Justine H.

Im not sure how it got listed as ZM. I believe mine is the LS but not 100%

alan
alan · Outlander

is the 2014 automatic 2.5 4x4 outlander relieable and what goes wrong

Bree W.
Bree W. · Outlander 3rd Generation (ZJ, ZK, ZL) (2012-2020)

I have a diesel, have had it 2 year, the last year there has been the odd little chug when coasting along the highway. This problem got rapidly worse and the car blows smoke and loses power and ability to get revs up.
I have replaced the MAF sensor yesterday and it went beautifully until this morning when it was cold and it played up again. It’s blowing smoke, can get revs or power up, just dies when you press the accelerator. Starts and idles fine.

Sangar X.
Sangar X.

Take it to a local mechanic, they will look iver it for you, Mitsubishi are hopeless at their own brand.

John C.

Take off air inlet hose & try a few spurts of throttle body cleaner. And of course make sure to replace air filter if you havn't done so.

John C.

Wipe around inside of throttle body carefully with a clean rag. Check outside of throttle body for leaks of oily sludge or soot. Would also replace fuel filter.

Doooooob
Doooooob · Outlander

Hi, I have an outlander LS 2018.5 MY. Have been using premium 98 fuel, personally I found the mileage is better than 91 and its bit smooth to drive.

I read a few articles about premium fuels not necessary benefit the cars where recommended fuel is 91. Now I am doubting myself on the improvements am getting in my car is not a placebo (haha), hence asking other outlander owners their experience using 98 fuel

gerry161 · Outlander

Where can I find my 2 reviews yesterday, I found an update I did on an old post, but not the one on Service and Warranty costs etc?

The Reviewer
The Reviewer

Why ask the public??

No reply needed.

Rob H
Rob H · Outlander 4th Generation (ZM) (2021-2024)

what size engine, 2.4 i hope ?

whines
whines

2.5 direct injection

Andrew D
Andrew D · Outlander

I and about to take delivery of a 2016 ZK Diesel outlander. I am not a lead foot, but am interested in how it performs when rapid overtaking or acceleration is required.

John C. · Outlander

Looking forward to hearing in the future when CVT equipped vehicles Mitsi, Subi, ect have 150,000 k's on them. I have a 1990 Camry still no issues.
Not game to buy anything new.

Loyal to good businesses

Hi John I can say you will get a low mileage outlander plug in electric Petrol hybrid for around $25000. Low registration payments. These vehicles are now clocking over 250,000 with few issues.

bozana7
bozana7 · Outlander 3rd Generation (ZJ, ZK, ZL) (2012-2020)

I looked in my manual for my Automatic Outlander, for the backseat to move forward. It says a leaver under the seat, however, there's no leaver. And yet, the seats, sit on tracks. I looked where you straighten or recline the seats, again nothing. Any ideas?

Abhishek A.
Abhishek A.

What year is it? If its one of the new ones it shoulf be visible when you pull the seat out. Push the 2nd row all the way back n then pull seats out and you would see a lever

Disgruntled
Disgruntled · Outlander 3rd Generation FWD XLS (2015-2020)

Mine is 2017 may ls manual. Has anyone had trouble with faulty manual transmission and tyres that have no recommended inflation pressure on sidewall. Maybe I was lucky to get a lemon and deceptive online ordering from Mitsubishi Australia when ordering an MY18 and referred to Launceston Mitsubishi and getting an MY17 model, and online search from ASIC details a shelf company that has no value in it. And excuses such as no longer works here type legal disclaimer which is not worth the paper it's written and only as good as their word. So happy with the quagmire of blame and lack of total responsibility. Lucky country eh, western liberal democracy where the rule of law shall apply and ACCC not worth a brass razoo because always on the phone talking rather doing their job - as I DID at Attorney Generals dept, 200 Queen St Melb, Bankruptcy branch doiung searches and coming up trumps not TRUMP_

Loyal to good businesses

I suggest you write to the CEO of Mitsubishi Australia.

Bonnie Edgecomb
Bonnie Edgecomb · Outlander AWD LS (2021-2024)

Can anyone shed some light on how spacious the backseats are? I’m wondering if anyone has tried to have 3 car seats in? Or even 2 and a booster?

Rohit
Rohit

The back seats are not suitable for adults but kids under 10 are fine. You have to adjust the seats to make some leg space but it usually works for me and my friends who have this car.
Three car seats would be a challenge but a car seat with two booster seats will be manageable but not too comfy.

Harry
Harry · Outlander AWD (2021-2024)

Is the rear big enough to sleep in with everything folded down, Do you get a real spare tyre or one of the billy cart ones. Thanks

Perry

Mine is the 7-seat model. The second row seats don't fold down flat, so I'd say no. the boot is not big enough for anyone other than a small child.

Perry

It's a real wheel, slung under the car.

Frank
Frank

I have the PHEV version - with the rear seats folded down and the front seats moved forward as far as they will go you have 185x95 cm , There is no spare in the PHEV - just a bottle of 'goop' and an air pump. .... but....
the electric drive system has an active torque limiter which is not mentioned in any of the sales/spec docs which means the towbar option is a total waist of money and if you loaded it up to with four passengers and a couple of bags (near the max GVM) you cannot go up any sort of slope - it just stops!!

Harry

Thanks for that, I wont be getting one.

Zak
Zak · Outlander

Can I put a zg outlander nudge bar on a zf outlander

Zyoti · Outlander

How spacy is 7 seater 3rd row... is it better than nissan xtrial 7 seater. prticulular for 3rd row

Yes. Much better

Zyoti

Thanks... iam enjoying the vehicle

Brian · Outlander

We have a 2013 Deisel Outlander Aspire thats done just over 130,000km and have been told that the ticking noise at front is most probably a cracked timing chain guide and total replacement of chain will be required and cost $5,000. We specifically purchased this model as were told chains dont need replacing like belts, now very disappointed. Has anyone else found this problem and what was the cost?

Phil B.

The chain tensioner is plastic Change it immediately

Brian

Thanks Phil, had already gone ahead and diesel mechanic took it down to check out the timing chain and guide and decided they were okay but he replaced the chain tensioner - so you were spot on! Disappointing though because it still has the same loud ticking noise and they have spoken with Mitsubishi mechanics who say that they are a noisy motor and this is normal - $1600 later. To me the ticking isn't normal so not totally convinced. Do you agree that these motors have a noisy tick?

Cassandra Y.
Cassandra Y.

Hi Brian, we have a diesel 7 seater 2017 and myself and my husband feel it's unusually loud when outside the car. Mitsubishi say it's a normal tick and normal loudness for the car. I came across this post as I'm trying to research if it is while it's still under warranty ...

Brian

That's interesting to hear that you have the same observation. The tick/clicking is definitely a sound on top of the normal engine noise and is disconcerting but as we have now had our timing chain fully checked and the whole engine fully serviced we suppose that we have to take their word for it. The Mitsubishi Dealer assures that this is normal that they have a noisy engine. The mechanic just ended up saying after the repairs if we aren't happy with the noise then sell it! It seems that you too are being told by the Mitsubishi Dealer/Service Centre that this is normal and considering they see a lot of these cars I suppose we can be assured.

Max B
Max B

I also have a 2017 MY Outlander diesel which has done 80,000 KM and has started to get a bit noisy.
At the 75,K service, I reported that I am experiencing exhaust fumes in the cab when the vehicle is idling. The esteemed service crew couldn't fault the vehicle (of course). The concierge at the service desk suggested that I use the recirculation setting on the AC. This was their only solution to my problem.
They also informed of an oil leak in the sump seal that was minor at this stage but could be corrected under warranty if I wished to proceed. I declined.
Post service I had the RAC inspect the vehicle and they informed that the engine was running rich due to the EGR/inlet manifold being choked with carbon and could do with a clean. They also checked the engine for leaks and found none.'
I have no confidence in either the skill or the veracity of the dealer servicing.
The RAC suggested that driving these vehicles continuously in stop start city driving could be detrimental to the engine.
I frequently use the express-way to commute 40-70 K's at speeds between 80 -110 KPH, which should enable the clearance of the inlet manifold and enable the Diesel Particulate Regeneration process.
My current concern is the diesel fuel that is available in Perth and regions. Mitsubishi stipulate the European standard EN590. I cannot find any supplier that offers fuel to this standard except for Shell V Power diesel. I have only tried one tank full so far and seemed run a little smoother and quieter. Unfortunately not many Shell servos seem to stock the fuel.
This will be work in progress for a while. My apologies be so verbose.

Get an answer from our members and Mitsubishi representatives

Select a listing for your question
Mitsubishi Outlander