Mitsubishi Pajero NX GLS

Mitsubishi Pajero NX GLS (2014-2019)

Mitsubishi Pajero In-Depth Review

ProductReview.com.au's selected consumer review.

Do even bother with the warranty claims

I would never ever going to buy a Mitsubishi car! All this warranty and reliability promises are nothing but false statement. The company does not even consider basic faults and force the customers to pay extra to sort out the issue! I have a Pajero 2017 model. Went shopping last week. So obviously had to open the boot door to leave the groceries at the back. The door was not on the “locked” position as there were only couple of bags but I had the door fully open for seconds. Then I tried to close the door and it was jammed. I spent like 30min to try to close the door but couldn’t. So had to use some force to close it and then the door lock broke!! Now Chadstone mitsubishi and even Mitsubishi Australia says since I have used force to close the door, I cannot claim this fault under the warranty! I should I have called road side assist to come over and close the door for me!! Okay, lesson learned now! Goodbye Mitsubishi!

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Drive4WD

perfect 4 x 4 Pajero gls 3.2L

I love my Pajero. I have been through the Flinders Ranges. In sand hills , you point this car and away you go.
Pull my van well. Fuel is not bad, just remember it’s a two ton car. Also the price is well below any other unit.
I added the 3mm bash plate underneath which cut the cabin engine noise, noticeable on descent on hills.
If I was to replace I would order one tomorrow. In 12 months I have covered 45000km. No problems.
Love that car.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

perfect car

The best family car we had. Spacious and sporty. We wanted to long drive on our days off. Our daughter loved it as well. This car will stay with us until 10years or more. The drive sensor were safe, we can see road well while driving and lots of space at the back.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great car with a lot of power

The car is amazing to drive. It has great comfort in all situations. Great on bumpy roads and is a fairly quiet car! The overall reliability of the car has been amazing. Had a battery issue which is Common in all cars when it is old. But very happy.

The fuel economy us excellent and i get a good 2 weeks mileage on a tank.

This can handles like a dream especially around corners and on the country roads.

Dashboard has lots od information for door status and speed.

Great bang for your buck including quality.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Good Family Car

The Car is mainly used as moms taxi. The performance of the engine is brilliant and road handling also very good. The engine can be abit noisy but it is old technology but a very good motor. Driving on gravel roads the dashboard does rattle and is a bit noisy. My wife likes the ease of driving it and has good visibility all round which she finds a good plus factor and easy to park.
The interior is very good lots of legroom nice layout of the dash board. The glove box lid plastic scuffs quite easy. The 6/7 boot seat wish it could split like the other manufacturers so one could load more luggage if you had one person sitting in the back. Wish the boot had more square straight panels just for ease of packing the car boot.
Very reliable car running costs not bad at all. Good fuel consumption for a big car around 8 ltrs per 100.
I will give it 8 out of 10

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Great 4wd for the family

We bought our new NX Pajero after looking at all of the true and tested 4wds out there.
For the price we bought the GLS for we are more than happy.
Within a couple of months we took a trip to the red centre. A family of 4 with all camping gear fit easily with a roof pod for the lightweight stuff.
We drove 8500km and averaged 10.1 l/100km over te entire trip. We were impressed with the ride comfort and noise level.
We are not too thrilled about the lack of storage inside the cabin but we bought some cheapish seat organisers for the kids in the back seat. These organisers included bottle holders so that took care of the drink holder shortage.
Overall we are very happy with the on road and off-road handling and comfort.

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Great so 1 person in 15700 found this helpful. Fantastic

A 4WD that handles like a car on road

I have had my MY15 NX GLS since new and have travelled over 40,000kms. Driving on the road and highways, it handles like a car thanks to its monocoque chassis with independent front and rear suspensions. No issues on sand and 20cm deep mud and corrugations. I have yet to take it to more aggressive roads/tracks. The performance from the 3.2L, 4 cylinder VGT turbo is suprisingly good. Going up the freeway tunnel it accelerates without fuss with over 500kg of passengers. Average fuel usage is 9.5L/100kms and that is with lots of city start/stop traffic. On the freeway, it returns 7.5L/100km. Noise is not that much of an issue especially with extra noise insulation and acoustic windscreen. One can only hear the diesel at idle speeds with the windows down.

I have driven to Mount Gambier, Mornington Penningsula via the Great Ocear Road, Yorke Penningsula and Goolwa, Victor Harbor, Waitpinga Beach and it ate away to highways with ease.

It is surprisingly easy to park for such a large car, mainly due to the very short front overhangs. I also fitted aftermarket front parking sensors and this made it even easier to park.

With the interior, it is very spacious, although it would have been better if the second row of seats could move back and forth. Moving it forth a little would give the 3rd row seats a little bit more leg room. The 3rd row seat floor is also a tad too high, making it feel more cramped then the second row. The fully adjustable electric driver's seat is excellent although it does not have seating position memory. The dashboad does feel a little outdated but is very functional. The centre display shows all the trip computer info, compass, outside temp etc etc. The 7" MMCS is also very nice but it is annoying that one cannot program the GPS or perform some other functions once the car is in motion (ADR rules I know), eventough a passenger could do it. Interestingly, my oldest gets motion sickness in a sedan on winding roads but have no issues in the Pajero.

Reliability wise, I have not hade any issues with it and the fixed price scheduled servicing keeps the costs down. It is about to go for its more expensive 45,000K full service. Tyres still have plenty of tread left as do the brake pads. The large 4-pot opposed caliper brakes make short work of stopping the 2.35 tonne Pajero (It has full aftermarket under-body protection, nudge bar and tow bar, hence the weight).

Overall, I am quite satisfied with it and is excellent value for money.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Pajero Sports GLS gives what is promised

Handling and performance of the 4wd is terrific. No problems there. Not noisy either.
The interior leaves a lot to be desired. For example there are too many sun reflective trimmings in and around the two front seats which when the sun hits them, is very blinding for both the driver and front passenger. There is a shortage of usb points and the two that are included are in the most awkward position of all. It is by feel only that you can plug a device into the usb point, as you can't see it from the front seats. It's located in the console between the drivers and passenger seat, down low in the cubicle.
We've had the vehicle for around 4 months now and it's been very reliable and the running costs, being diesel, are very pleasing. On a trip, we'll get around 14 klms per litre and around town around 11klms. Towing a 1 tonne van we get around 9 klms.
Keyless entry and locking are great. Warning bells if door is left open can be annoying at times.
This vehicle was an ex demo, and had many extras fitted to it and only 700klms on the dial when we took delivery.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Great car that exceeds my expectations

Couldnt ask for better. Proven reliability and reasonable fuel economy. Top value for money. Not as modern as the sport model but a better 4wd with a bigger inside feel. Finish is great. The only down side is when towing the spare tyre prevents the door opening fully. A treg hitch would solve. Tows a large van easily.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Love this car however...

Love this car however, after market accessories and 4WD components are hard to come by. For example, mmy 2016 NX Pajero comes with 18 inch rims. Hubby wants 17 inch but because of the brake calipers they're hard to fit. As for its capabilities as a 4WD - we're happy with it. It can keep up with the Tritons, Rangers and Prado's. Doesn't even come close to the Toyota 200 series though. All in all its a good car for city driving and 4 wheel driving.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great 4x4 wheel wagon

After lots of search & price matching I stuck with two, either Toyota or Pajero. End up buying NX 2016 Pajero disel.It is a great 4x4 wheel .Last year we went up to cape york & came back. We drove 21000 km & we problem with the car. It handled very well all the corrugated roads & specially telegraphic track. This year we are traveling Northern part of Australia Kimberley & other region.We will let you know how did that go.Like few other reviews, the sound system is very poor & if you stop the car try to get the navigation where there no phone reception we can't get the navigation. Mitsubishi have re consider putting some better system in the car .After all spending such a huge amount should have better system. Other wise it is a beautiful 4x4 can't fault.

December 29th 2017 Update: Very reliable vehicle

This time we drove about 19000 km.via Kimberley threw Gibb River road.Gibb River road was very corrugated ..but the car handled very well. We are very happy with the performance of the Pajero. Beautiful wagon & highly recommended .Compare with some other diesel 4x4 wheel drive car Pajero is not that noisy. I must say other than we had few puncture we are so pleased with the car.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Very underrated 4WD

Just over a year ago I needed to upgrade my 4WD. My previous 'luxury' 4WD was the Bees Knees. A new one was not an option. Living the typical 'Aussie' outdoor lifestyle with camping, 4wding, etc. and needing the car to serve as my work commute too, the Pajero ticked all the boxes.
Whilst rather mundane in it's technology it's off-road capabilities are highly underrated. It is a relatively solid car with a steady behavior on bitumen and gravel.
The cockpit is snug with everything in close proximity making it easy to navigate your way around. The interior cockpit finish is, in my opinion, a little on the 'cheap' side. The shiny 'plastic' finish around the gear lever is not practical at all as it scratches very easily leaving a tarnished look to the covers in that area.
The seating is comfortable and the as I don't have long legs there is ample space in the 2nd row of seats for any passengers. There are clear uninhibited views for the driver which is not only a great safety feature but are a real bonus for touring our wonderful countryside.
Driving is easy with responsive performance in steering and power, both on-road and off. The off-road capability, as I've previously mentioned, is great. There is very low engine noise that seeps into the vehicle whilst on road. My particular fuel consumption is higher than average, not due to the way I drive but due to the extra's I've fitted to the car. In and around town I'm averaging 12lt's / 100km whilst my colleague in a new 2016 Pajero averages 9.5lt's. Quite a difference but the price you pay for having after market parts on the vehicle.
One of the things that niggles is the touch screen stereo unit. The blue-tooth functionality isn't great. The quality of sound is poor and the blue-tooth seems to disconnect after making one phone call. Plugging the phone into the relevant USB port in the glove box seems to do the trick but you don't always want the phone plugged in there.
Another is the poor quality of low beam headlights. You might as well put a few candles on the front bumper as you'd achieve the same effect. After market lights are a must.
The side mirrors rattle - not the unit itself but the actual glass. I've raised this with my local dealer and am told, and I quote, "They all do that". Not good enough Mitsubishi. Whilst this is not a $70k plus vehicle, it's still a lot of hard earned $'s to part with for something that could potentially be a safety issue.
If you're having to traverse / wade through a bit of water - the Pajero leaks. A few seconds with a bit of water slightly over the lower door frame will see you drying out carpets for a few days.
All round it's relatively good 'bang' for your 'buck' - it does what is says on the box - and other than those little niggles I'm happy. Will I buy Pajero again? Ask me in three years time when it's due for an upgrade.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Great vehicle

I had the choice of the Ford Everest, Discovery and the Toyota Prado and Fortuner. Budget $70k. Researched and drove all. Sold my 3 year old Jeep and bought a GLS Pajero. Done 7,500 kms without any issues. Great on beach and as a daily long commuter. Solid vehicle which performs well on all surfaces. Nothing fallen off and no issues whatsoever. Jeep always niggled me about reliability and the odd limp mode at inconvenient times was a concern although it had great off road capability. I want a vehicle that I can be confident that will get me through the Simpson Desert and the Pajero has a solid reputation for being reliable.
I have added snorkel, towbar, AT tyres and bull bar. Total on road was $58k Best value in the market. Many would say it's old technology but when you are on an island or in the bush it's comforting to know that there is proven reliability under the bonnet.
Overall a comfortable truck that has plenty of power and space and well worth a look if you want a great tow car that will last 300,000 kms without issues.

2015 PAJERO MY16 model

We purchased a new pajero gls my16 model so far we have found it excellent in quality and comfort.
We do like the new stereo /app centre however was disappointed that it does not come with an inbuilt sat nav. that was in the earlier model. instead this uses your phone linked into the system via apple play which is fine if you have phone reception.
The car is quiet and powerful and we look forward to many years trouble free driving. 1 final point would of liked the option of all terain tyres instead of highway tryes as we intend to go bush with ours which means an extra cost to replace the tyres with suitable ones , could be offered as an option Mitsubishi !!

Just wanted to add to this review we have now put 3200km on the clock and love our new Pajero we find the new digital radio very good and have used the apple play so local navigation is good, it is a shame you cannot run apps like hema maps thru it though .The phone intergration is great thru the entertainment system.
We have found the economy very good averaging over 800km per tank which surprised us greatly all this is local and freeway driving. The door arm rests could be pushed forward as if you like to lean against it it sits to far back the turning circle we find excellent , Still cant understand about lack of tyre options as we will be up for all terain tyres in a couple of months. But we have no regrets so far very happy with our choice