Mitsubishi Pajero

See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Mitsubishi Pajero In-Depth Review

ProductReview.com.au's selected consumer review.

Love my 4by

Driving my 4by is like driving a car but up higher and you can see everything. I love the cream interior, I love the boot seats sit under the floor rather then in the windows, more room and you can see out the back I'd need be. The only downfall is its not cheap on fuel

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Value for money, very good towing vehicle.

Very happy with this vehicle. Bought ti for towing and to fit teenage family.
Towing heavy loads is excellent, plenty of power.
There are only 3 gripes I have.
1) Metalised plastic surfaces on interior reflect sun, would have been way better to have fake wood.
2) Back door - is heavy and you have to be wary of it, if wind catches it, you could get hurt. Door hits tow hitch when heavy trailer is connected so you have to squeeze in the 10" gap.
An upward hinging door would be better.
3) Turbo lag is noticeable.

It has been very reliable. I have only had to put tyres on it and a rear brake light bulb. All other expenses have been normal running and servicing.
Fuel economy not towing is about 28mpg on open road, towing 2.25Tonne is about 18mpg.
I also looked at a Prado and would have had to pay an extra $15,000 for the equivalent vehicle to get a Toyota badge - nope!
Given the horror stories I have heard about Toyota injectors I am very glad I bought the Paggy.

BadgePlatinum
Date PurchasedOct 2010

Great capable 4x4 well built for Australian conditions

Great capable 4x4 well built for Australian conditions. We don't really take it off road but on a few occasions it took us through rough tracks in Litchfield NP, river crossings in Kimberley and a beach or two. Little bit thirsty when towing a caravan but you would be too pulling a 2 ton brick. Rear Difflock is there just in case but I never had to use it.

Badge27990
Date PurchasedJul 2016

Great comfortable 4wd with grunt

I have the diesel version. She sounds like a small truck, but you get used to it. It’s a very comfortable 4wd that drives like a sedan. Easy to operate the 4wd and diff lock from inside the vehicle.

The radio in mine is terrible and it’s quite ridiculous that in 2006 they couldn’t include a USB socket. They have been around for ten years when this thing was built.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great Value

Purchased our first Pajero in 2010 Activ at a fairly good price.

At this point now being 2018 and 230,000 on the clock we have not had one issue except for recalls and drivers door winder replacement,
The servicing gets a little dear over the years unless you know a good cheap reliable mechanic
We have also done tappet adjustment every 30,000 k’s and also added a catch can other than that all standard.
If I could buy another one of these now I would,As some of the new ones Toyota,Colorado just to name a few are absolute rubbish and with such small engines in them now. Some of them wouldn’t tow my grandmother up the stairs.
It has been good on diesel anywhere from 10/100 to 8.5/100 k’s,
Plenty of room inside,Sat nav is a little out of date although I find google maps the best.
The only down side is.......
The spare tyre on the back could have been higher for towing but you can get a kit to raise it up 50mm.
All in all been a good 4wd/family car to date.

Why Did Mitsubishi Stop producing them????

BadgeActiv
Date PurchasedMar 2010

good for long trips

Overall a good car but thirsty af. Have the top of the range model otherwise don't even bother. Does its job very as well as would a 4X4: everyday use, towing, rough conditions. Transmission may jerk at lower speeds e.g. stop start traffic.What i would like is that even though there's bluetooth connectivity, you can't play music through it - only answer calls which defeats the purpose of a bluetooth system.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Great for long trips

Great for long trips and yes, it's a bit thirsty and gutless if you use low octane, while running it on 98 will give you very good range and performance we have found. We have been all over the places fully loaded. So far nothing major and plenty of good quality 3rd party components. One thing worth mentioning was the engine light went on after using 91 fuel during a long trip in countryside NSW, the dealer Sydney wanted to replace the cat converter, but a cleve cop in NSW reckoned filling up with 98 for several time will rid the problem, and it did. So we saved big $. Just don't go extreme off-road without modification as this 4x4 actually drives like a big car with its standard tyres that are good for ranges of VIC to beaches in NSW and S.A.

Date PurchasedJan 2011

Top Car-Better than a LandCruiser hands down!

I am very impressed with our 2007 NS PAJERO. It handles and rides better than any 4WD I've been in (and I've been in MANY), and where I live, we have some VERY rough roads to make this conclusion (Outback NSW ). It seems to do every job well: everyday use, towing, off-roading, rough conditions and hwy cruising. The power is great and nice and smooth with the 5 speed auto. Even though I've never been a Mitsubishi man, I love everything about this car and hope to have it for the next 10 years or so. Our last Pajero ('99 NL diesel) did 500,000 km). My only negative point would be the fuel economy. It seems to use about 12.5 L/100km on average town/hwy combined. The best I've got on flat hwy with cruise set at 105km/h is 10.9L/100km, but hey, that ain't THAT bad!!

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Fuel economy should be better...

Overall a good car, nice styling inside and out and OK to drive. The "monocoque" chassis supposedly makes the vehicle handle more "car like", however my previous 4x4, a Ford Explorer was more car like in its handling than the Pajero. Even my wife agrees with this point. Fuel economy leaves a lot to be desired, - maybe the 4 cylinder engine doesn't really suit the weight of this vehicle. Great torque and towing power, but unfortunately you'll pay at the fuel pump. It was cheaper to run my V8 on LPG than the Pajero on diesel, and without the benefit of that V8 power. I was sadly disappointed with the 4 cylinder diesel's economy which gets even worse when towing. This is really my only criticism of what is otherwise a pretty good car. I tested it hard one day towing a 16 foot off-road caravan through very soft sand on the wrong tide, and the Pajero kept going where other "better" cars had given up. There were a few moments where I thought, that's it, it's going to stop, but it just kept on pushing through. At the end of that trip I was actually proud of it, and it had proved itself to me as being very capable. However, being constantly reminded at the fuel pump that your car has a drinking problem is, we'll, sobering. I have also had wheel alignment issues resulting in rapid uneven wear of tyres, so watch out for that too.

Badge25th Anniversary
Date PurchasedJan 2016

perfect car

The best family car we had. Spacious and sporty. We wanted to long drive on our days off. Our daughter loved it as well. This car will stay with us until 10years or more. The drive sensor were safe, we can see road well while driving and lots of space at the back.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Best family car!

We went from a Kluger to a pajero. Havnt regretted at all! Runs smoothly, so reliable! Spacious for a family of 4 and a decent sized dog! DVD player works a treat for the kid, especially with the long drives down south with the kids! We go on long drives economic with fuel! Don't think we will ever switch from the pajero, only to upgrade in models!

Date PurchasedNov 2015

A reliable vehicle

We decided on a Pajero when we purchased a 19 ft caravan, as research showed its towing capacity was great. We are very pleased with all aspects of this vehicle. It is what I would class as 'sturdy & reliable', a comfortable ride, plenty of space, and no problems. Haven't tested it off road but would assume that there would not be a worry in this regard.

Date PurchasedSep 2015

Great car with a lot of power

The car is amazing to drive. It has great comfort in all situations. Great on bumpy roads and is a fairly quiet car! The overall reliability of the car has been amazing. Had a battery issue which is Common in all cars when it is old. But very happy.

The fuel economy us excellent and i get a good 2 weeks mileage on a tank.

This can handles like a dream especially around corners and on the country roads.

Dashboard has lots od information for door status and speed.

Great bang for your buck including quality.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

The best handling full sized 4X4 for under 60k

The style may be slightly dated, but this is still the best performing 4x4 available in this price bracket.
Unlike many soft-roaders, the occupants will not feel like they are being thrown around in rough seas if you give it some jandle. The 3.2 is a beautiful engine, tonnes of torque and plenty of power. Fuel economy is fair, I'm getting 9/100. The updated stereo now features carplay, and there's lots of power outlets.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great off road 4wd

This is our second mitbubishi 4wd and we find this one is also reliable and user friendly. It is quiet for a 4wd and well sealed as the dust does not enter. Have travelled long distance on many outback dirt roads and it is a verh smooth ride. We fitted a non factory bull bar which as since paid off with wildlife. The reversing camera is excellent and with the turning circle the car nearly parks itself. The only issue is the gps you have to use your phone data and if you are in non phone service areas you have no gps.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

I have a 2007 vrx diesel and love it..

Pulls the caravan ,boat with ease..great on the road and off-road..performs really well..Pajero is under estimated. Found it difficult to find full foofracks..no gutter. Have 18 inch rim with Cooper's on..they are 5 years old and a bit noisy,going for Toyo tyres next..interior of car awesome extras,,will build drawers in Back, also will get dual battery fitted

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Still can't find a more reliable and practical vehicle.

Having owned a petrol V6 version prior to this NT 3.2 turbo diesel it had some pretty big boots to fill and it has not disappointed.
The main motivation for the switch to diesel was firstly fuel economy/range which is fantastic compared to the old petrol model. I regularly achieve sub 9ltr/100klms around town and slightly better highway driving - very happy with that considering the large size of the vehicle.
Towing ease and ability was also a consideration for me with the occasional 18ft full caravan trip and regular towing offroad on sand with an offroad camper trailer. Towing on soft sand can really reduce range but the high torque output of this Pajero means that it goes a lot further on a tank even under these conditions.
This model retains the excellent interior configuration of other recent models and there are tumbling rear seats and the great concealed boot tub too. I have actually managed to fit a whole interior house door in the back!.
Onroad manners are exceptional, it handles extremely well for such a big heavy 4x4 and parking is as easy as a large sedan albeit with a few blind spots to be aware of.
Offroad these are legendary vehicles and this model is no exception, it's just fun to drive offroad especially on sand where the 5 speed tiptronic auto transmission makes life so easy.
There have been several factory recalls since I've owned this Pajero which is time consuming but also gives a feeling of confidence that Mitsubishi are addressing these faults as they appear and there haven't been any major mechanical issues. ( airbag recall etc ).
The only area where I feel this Pajero is lacking is in the seating dept. I am a larger sized man and have never had an issue with my previous Pajero's but this NT GLX has some pretty poor front seats - frankly I struggle everytime I get in the vehicle, the seats seem poorly designed and I am currently seeking an aftermarket alternative.
I plan on keeping this vehicle for at least 10 years and maybe beyond - looking good so far - A very capable and tame 4x4 onroad but also very good offroad credentials too..

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Love it

This suv is easy to drive, easy to park, it has seat heat warmers, the leg room is good. There is not alot of soace down the side of the seat to adjust the seat position, i have small hands and its a tight squeeze. A baby seat is easy to install with no modifications needed.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Nice 4x4, Petrol Engine Review

Hi, firstly, let me note this is a review for the Short Wheelbase Pajero, 2007 model, Petrol Variant.

Interior is really nice luxury, excellent stereo and features, stylish inside and out. Independent suspension all round generally has improved on-road handling compared to some older 4x4's. The Mitsubishi super-select 4x4 system is the best there is bar none in my opinion after having owned several 4x4's. It effortlessly and quickly engages either 1) Rear wheel drive only for economy, 2) Full time All-wheel-drive, so that you can enjoy the benefits of the 4x4 drive train all of the time, great for rain for example, 3) Part Time 4x4 High range, which allows high speed locked centre differential 4x4 for say hard sand on a beach at higher speeds or tough dirt roads, 4) Part Time 4x4 Low range for the toughest stuff. Very good system, probably the best of any 4x4 from a user friendly point of view, rivalled only perhaps by some of Land Rovers modern offerings.

The whole car inside and out smacks of build quality, very Mercedes-esque, which makes sense since I believe the two companies cooperated on a 4x4 design in the 90's that never actually reached completion. Unfortunately, The 3.8 litre Petrol Engine although powerful and feature packed with variable valves and modern features, its very thirsty. Personally I would never touch the petrol again, I would always recommend the diesel variant.

The automatic gearbox is very clever and a pleasure to use, usually selecting the right gears and adapting to your driving style quickly. If you are giving it the boot on a country road, you can actually notice the auto box computer learning and adapting.

ON the negative sides, the short wheel base two door model, it's hopeless trying to access the rear seats in a hurry. The electric drivers seat doesn't fold forward in a hurry providing limited access to the rear.

But the worse thing about the short wheel base 3dr model combined with the 3.8V6 petrol is that the tank is smaller than the 5dr model. Combined with poor fuel consumption, the range is really poor. Struggling to get 350km to a tank.

The series in general however feels very much like a re-skinned version of the previous pajero model from before 2006. You can also tell from the slightly dated driving dynamics that this is an old design that's been very well jazzed up. On the positive side though, it's good for servicing, parts and resale values when a vehicle design doesn't get changed to often.

Personally I feel if I'd got the 5dr Diesel I would be giving this car a better review, probably 4 stars, but as it stands the 3dr is flawed and therefore average. Very nice looking vehicle.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

2014 MY15 NX Exceed

Brilliant car, has 75k on the clock and drives like new. It tows my 2.2T caravan with ease. Strong powerful diesel. High quality interior fittings and excellent overall build quality. This model is still made in Japan. Have previously owned an NM Pajero Petrol and I got 250,000ks before selling it. It never missed a beat. The NX pajero handles better, tighter turning circle and better fuel evonomy. Awesome vehicle.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Can any one please tell me the location of the fuel pump relay on 2001 Mitsubishi pajero exceed nm.
Have a look on the electrical diagram in the User Handbook

Does the NH 2000 model have anchor points, and if so, where are they located?

has nm 2000 pajero have light on low fuel

Pajero NX ExceedPajero NX GLSPajero NX GLX AutomaticPajero NSPajero NM, NPPajero NX GLX ManualPajero NW Exceed 4 Cyl 3.2L, DieselPajero NW Exceed 6 Cyl 3.8L, PetrolPajero NW ACTiV AutomaticPajero NW ACTiV ManualPajero NW GL AutomaticPajero NW GL ManualPajero NW GLS AutomaticPajero NW GLS ManualPajero NW GLX 7 Seats, ManualPajero NW GLX 7 Seats, AutomaticNW GLX 5 Seats, ManualPajero NW GLX 5 Seats, AutomaticPajero NW GLX-R ManualPajero NW GLX-R AutomaticNW Platinum ManualNW Platinum AutomaticPajero NW Platinum II AutomaticPajero NW Platinum II ManualPajero NW VR-X ManualPajero NW VR-X AutomaticPajero NT
Starting Price $63,990$56,990$49,990
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticManualAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticManualAutomaticManualAutomaticManualManualAutomaticManualAutomaticManualAutomaticManualAutomaticAutomaticManualManualAutomatic
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselPetrolDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDiesel and Petrol
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Steel17" Steel17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars5 stars5 stars4 stars
Doors555555555555555555555555555
Seats777777775577775577777777
Fuel Consumption9.1 L/100km9.1 L/100km9.1 L/100km8.4 L/100km9 L/100km13.5 L/100km9 L/100km8.4 L/100km9 L/100km8.4 L/100km9 L/100km8.4 L/100km8.4 L/100km9 L/100km8.4 L/100km9 L/100km8.4 L/100km9 L/100km8.4 L/100km9 L/100km9 L/100km8.4 L/100km8.4 L/100km9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 88 L88 L88 L90 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L88 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L6 Cylinder, 3.8 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L4 Cylinder, 3.2 L
Max Power141kW@3800rpm141kW@3800rpm141kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm147kW@3800rpm
Max Torque441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm441Nm@2000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction Control
Extra Features Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Headlight Wipers, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Headlight Wipers, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Bluetooth Connectivity, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Bluetooth Connectivity, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, USB Port and Voice Control
Ground Clearance225 mm225 mm225 mm225 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2006Jan 2000Jan 2014Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2011Jan 2011Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2011Jan 2008
Discontinuation dateDec 2008Dec 2006Dec 2015Dec 2014Dec 2013Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2013Dec 2014Dec 2011
Replaced byMitsubishi Pajero NS