ModWood (page 2 of 3)

See the Best Home Improvement in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by ModWood

• Timeliness
  • Job Satisfaction
  • Rates and Fees

Very happy with Modwood

It feels good to know that it is made from recycled materials, doesn’t deteriorate unroofed . Looks fantastic. Good range of colours to choose from . My trusted builders recommended it. It feels great under bare feet

Rachel
Rachel

Looks great but can be too hot to walk on

Fantastic for zero maintenance and looks great. Only down side is it is burning hot in full sun on hot days. Would not be good for pets or kids in Australian summers if used in large areas in locations of direct sun as it can get too hot to walk on.

Macca
MaccaGeelong

Great decking

We decided on Modwood for outside decking and were extremely happy with the results. Although a little expensive for a recycled product, it was easy to use and gives an attractive deck. The idea of not painting or re-oiling appealed, the fact that it is enduring was a greater point for us to purchase Modwood and it being an Australian product sold is on this product. Two years later and the deck is excellent.

Jake L.
Jake L.Northeast, VIC

Overall great product with only 2 minor draw backs

I installed ModWood as our decking on our house build about 12 months ago, we love the product, the install is easy, quality and finish is also fantastic. The only two minor issues I’ve found is that in direct sunlight in summer the product is too hot to stand on barefoot, ours doesn’t see much direct sunlight but this is a consideration for someone who may have more direct sunlight. Secondly I’ve found that grease and bird poo can stain it, I do my best to clean it immediately to avoid this. Those are the only considerations I’d like to make to anyone considering this product. If they aren’t an issue for you I highly recommend so far.

Looks good, it is good.

My old timber deck was needing too much time and attention to keep it looking reasonable so we looked for an alternative and found Modwood Xtreme Guard. Although it was comparatively expensive it met our purposes and so we had it fitted. It's now eight months later; it looks good, no sign of fading or any other defects and all the upkeep I have to do is blow it occasionally. So far so good and I'm very happy.

Annie
AnnieSydney, NSW

Great long hard-wearing product for any home/deck!

Modwood is a great long wearing product with no maintenance. It still looks brand new after 3 years! I was so happy my architect specified this product. Highly recommend it

G.Taylor Constructions
G.Taylor ConstructionsCentral Queensland, QLD

Absolutely horrible!!

same experience as everyone else - should have heeded the warning!
no support from Modwood, even used their new Xtreme guard board and a few months later its already faded beyond recognition. their warranty isn't worth the paper its written on - DO NOT BUY MODWOOD!

Sandy
Sandy

Dangerous! Modwood customer service and products failed

We purchased Modwood as a sustainable alternative to wood but it split dangerously in several places and family member’s foot went through it! Modwood failed to respond to phone and written complaints. Builders who came to quote to replace it were equally appalled.

Mitch W.
Mitch W.

Another Modwood disaster

Same experience as all the other victims- laid with the proper clip fixing system at great expense and simply can not tolerate The Australian sun and weather / buckled / split / deformed - not acceptable given the worthless warranty and high cost - only a matter of time as word is spreading modwood / your days
days are numbered , any builder recommending will shoot their own reputation Down.

Aceman
AcemanSydney, NSW

The worst product ever!

I couldn't be more disappointed. 6 months after installation, the deck went from a nice deep red-brown to a faded, pale pink colour - how do they get away with it? 5 years on and my deck is crumbling and falling apart. The worst part is, Modwood don't want to help me AT ALL! So very disappointing. So much for this Australian made terrible product. Never again. Save yourself the hassle and STEER CLEAR of Modwood!

Disgusted
DisgustedVictoria

Very Disappointed with lack of Quality

We installed at great cost several areas around out house with Modwood. It has bowed in a number of sections allowing water to sit on the decking for long periods. It was installed by a builder. Modwood have fobbed us off and showed no interest despite us sending many photos and evidence. We are so disgusted we have gone to Consumer Affairs. It does not deserve a rating.

Not value for money

We should feel lucky our deck hasn’t cracked or warped yet but goes mouldy all the time has faded but bought light colour so is ok ours is 6 years old would not recommend this product to anyone as it’s expensive as we are elderly thought it would be easy maintenance but!!!!! So wrong. Jean Jarrett

rob1717
rob1717Peel, WA

Had to give one star as couldn't rate any lower

This was a very expensive mistake. Despite claims as to the longevity and being supposedly maintenance free this product has become the complete opposite. It started to crack, twist, warp and swell after about 2 years and now after a further 6 years is like walking on corrugated iron it is SO uneven. Gaps have joined up and now pools water in places. Despite contacting Modwood on several occasions and completing their claim forms including a plan with numerous accompanying photos was denied any warranty claim. NEVER use this product. It is going to be very expensive to replace. Over promised and under delivered. SO, SO disappointed.

Does anyone know of a viable alternative?

Peter FM
Peter FMByron Bay

Another Modwood disaster.

L Davis
L DavisHunter Region, NSW

Disappointed product

I had a Modwood deck installed thinking it would be the best product for wear & require little maintenance -WRONG WRONG WRONG! It has become impregnated with the months of red dust that was in the air during the severe summer we all endured as well as warping & borders constantly have to be re-screwed - WORST product I have used... my husband & I have built 6 homes & renovated 4! I would not recommend this dreadful product & advise people to use true & tested products like hardwood or merbau decking which would have been at least 75% of what we paid for the Modwood deck - most unhappy!

bobs
bobsSouth West, QLD

Waste of money

wendy
wendycentral coast

what a piece of ...............

I am a wheelchair user and the Occupational Therapist OT recommended Modwood. A government agency part funded cheap pine ramp but the OT convinced us to pay more and go with the Modwood as it would hold out better to the daily traffic and is easier to maintain.

We self funded most of the ramps at our previous properties and have always used a hard timber. Slight upkeep but nothing compared to the Modwood. I did some research and agreed with the OT as it was used in commercial environments and appeared to uphold to its statements. I have contacted Modwood and they have just given me a blanket statement which really means nothing.....Keep away from this ......

Job Satisfaction
Loza o.
Loza o.Far North Queensland, QLD

Modwood- complete failure, unsuitable for the Tropics

Kathryn
KathrynSouth East Queensland, QLD

Modwood compensation was a sorry from the Queensland Manager Michael

We put a deck at the end of our pool using modwood just three years ago and I am in shock with how much it keeps fading. Not just a few months after installed it just keeps fading. The manager mentioned about products they have brought out to recolour there product. We bought them for just under $200 and we have just done it this week. The review above worried me as I did notice a board that looks higher than the rest. I had my fencing guy come out last week and have to adjust the fence panel as he said the deck has moved. If this gets worse we will be asking for compensation and if I only get a sorry like last time well have to go to the next step. We had to buy the products and then pay a guy to repaint our boards.

Chris Pickard
Chris PickardSydney, NSW

Do not use, ever !

So upsetting to see what we now have to live with. Laid about 6 years ago & expensive. Has now warped, buckled & lifted. Very hit to walk on in hot sun.
Will need to replace whole deck at more great expense.

Allen S.
Allen S.South East Queensland, QLD

Very inferior product

I installed 150sq meters of Modwood Decking 8 years ago and the board continue to crack and swell when moisture is absorbed. Modwood are not offering any replacements and denying responsibility for a faulty product

Anita
AnitaIllawarra, NSW

To use or not to use...that is the question.

Geejay
GeejaySouth East Queensland, QLD

Modwood disaster

I laid a Modwood deck about 4 years ago. Within a year the colour faded to a pinkish color which was revolting to see. Within the next two years it developed massive moss growth which could not be cleaned or removed. It sits in full sun and this should not happen. Most of the deck now looks patchy black all over. There are areas that are also splintering. I now have to replace the entire deck as it looks disgusting. An expensive exercise to install and then to replace it. Looking at all the reviews this product should not be sold on the market.

Modwood No good

I have to keep scrubbing it to look like anything it did at first but has also faded - Put in Modwood 7 years ago. Also green mould is growing on the vertical boards. If a pot plant is left on it there is a ring ma left when removed and this cannot be removed and looked worse as all the scrubbing took away some of the colour of the modwood where scrubbed. I have to clean the lot about every 6-8 months.

Very disappointed.

Can you paint modwood ? I cannot see why as seems porous enough

Mrs K.
Mrs K.

Fell through Modwood deck - warning

After careful research we installed Modwood about 8 years as the back deck. We were happy with it at first but one of us was badly injured when a board snapped underfoot after about 3 years. It was correctly installed and not a high traffic area or particularly heavy person. Modwood offered to replace the one board (not the cost of fixing it). Very poor customer service. Another two cracked soon afterwards.
It has also grown black mould, despite being in full sun (north side of the house) in a dry climate which is both disfiguringly ugly and a health hazard.
It is not a product suitable for use as it is dangerous, Modwood staff were dismissive even with lots of clear photos. Huge waste of money.
Avoid Modwood.