Munns Emerald Kikuyu Lawn Seed Mix

Munns Emerald Kikuyu Lawn Seed Mix Questions & Answers

5 questions from our users

Peterasked

I would lijke to know if Munns will give me compensation for all the hard work and expense I have incurred for nil result. I prepared the ground by rotary hoeing and top dressing then followed Munns instructions for sowing and maintaining soil moisture over the past two weeks. Not a blade of mother crop let alone Kikuyu in sight

Jennie Y.

I'm having the exact result...$86 for "premium" grass seed and I have had better results with cheap home brand grass seed! Mine has been in for 2 weeks and still not a germinated seed in sight despite religiously watering!

And no response from Munns I assume

Jennie Y.

Of course not! I went and bought Brunnings seed and over-sowed as I have used that before and it delivers what it promises! Still can't get over the Munn's lawn seed claiming it germinates in 5-7 days...what a crock of lies!

Chris

Chrisasked

Can you tell me the correct product for weed control in Emerald Kikuyu? We have bindi, burrs and an assortment of other weed. Have tried weed and feed, not really successful, we would like to kill the weeds and then feed the lawn, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Yvonne
Yvonne

Hi Chris,
We use weed 'n' feed it works well on our grass, we make sure we use it when there is no rain in the weather forecast or it washes it away. If you have a lot of weeds doesn't hurt to apply then re apply again after a full week should assist with ensuring none were missed in the first application.
Hope this helps

Bernie

Bernieasked

How much seed do I need to oversow approx 460 sq metres?

Ratu
Ratu

Buy the Brunnings 100% seed instead. 4 small tubs would cover that area. I don't think they sell larger tubs, but you can ask. Here is the URL link:

As the tub is transparent, you can clearly see the Brunnings product has 100% seed content. This is what infuriated me about the misleading Munns product.

John

Johnasked

I have ,planted this grass also,I live on Bribie Island Qld the soil is sandy I have three grasses at the moment couch that is thriving with water and fertilizer that has been put down with with the seed and its runners are spreading fast,Rye grass though patchy approx. 80% off the area planted and whose leaves are quite thin and 50mm high .The third is a much broader leaf and is at least100mm high and spreading runners which are quite thick,I don't know whether its a weed,what does Kikuyu look like does it spread runners?

Gaynor Norman
Gaynor Norman

Hi John,
Emerald has a filler seed , which is the rye grass, that comes up fairly quickly, then you will see the small spreading kikuya starting to appear, which sounds like thats what your seeing, eventually the rye dies out, its just a temporary filler. I would be mowing now if its 100mm high. Hopefully yours doesnt have a fertile seed head later when its matured. That is my issue, every year around spring, the lawn is covered in white seed heads that blow all through my garden and sprout kikuya everywhere, and yes its a running grass, if i could go back and change , i would use santa ana couch grass, still a running variety, but a better choice in my opinion.
Cheers Gaynor

Karenasked

After planting emerald green kikuyu.... and a few bags and boxes of it, now we have 2 totally different grasses growing outside! Not happy at all! Can you help me?

Steve-gee
Steve-gee

Hi Karen
I'm not sure if you are aware; but that is exactly how the Emerald Kikuyu is supposed to grow out. First off it is a fast-growing cool weather grass - designed to give you a lawn quickly and then the Kikuyu grows within that. Once the warmer temperatures (that Kikuyu loves) kick in - it races away - out-competing the other grass altogether. If you take a close look at what you have you should see the beginnings of the Kikuyu runners? Kikuyu LOVES the heat - and just a bit of water.

Cheers

Steve

Karen

Hey Steve, I understand this but the two sections of the lawn is totally different! Could I send you some photo's?