NAB Travel Insurance

NAB Travel Insurance Questions & Answers

Comprehensive Plan, Essential Plan, Domestic Plan, etc...

32 questions from our users

Beecee

Beeceeasked

I have paid for my trip to New Zealand on my Nab visa credit card. I had 4 stents inserted into my heart 15 January 2018 & 2 on 3 December 2019 how will this affect my insurance

Claire

I had surgery before my trip and it just meant I couldn't claim for anything to do with that condition. I was covered for anything else. I would ring them just to clarify. My claim for emergency dental work went through okay. :)

Wally

Wallyasked

I have recently made an eligible purchase on my Platinum Credit Card and understand that I am now entitled to complimentary travel insurance.
The tour company(World Expeditions) now require a letter of eligibility stating policy number, NAB Card Insurance reference number and eligibility criteria.
How do I obtain this letter?

Cathy

Cathyasked

Does this insurance cover medical bills on overseas cruise ship? Is there an excess? Regards, Cathy

Denise K

Denise Kasked

Will my NAB visa platinum credit card cover myself and family when i book an international cruise with it ?

Barry Cirillo

Short answer is YES,but I would still verify terms and conditions with my Bank branch.

Glenda M.

Glenda M.asked

Do you get any documentation with this product? How do we know if we are covered?

Yes Glenda
As soon n as you have paid for your trip with your card, contact them and they will activate your policy and send details in an email.

roslyn hogarth

roslyn hogarthasked

we are flying from brisbane to sydney @ by train to perth then flying back to brisbane paying by nab platinum credit card. if one of us is ill @we have to cancell our trip are our trip expences covered?

Hi Roslyn
I have activated both domestic and International NAB insurance in the past. Have you already booked your trip? You can activate the policy by ringing NAB. They will give you a policy number and send a Policy attachment which covers everything In detail. You could ask them on the phone. I think it is covered but best to ask.

Cliff M.

Cliff M.asked

As Visa NAB card holders are we entitled to travel insurance whilst travelling by Cruise Ship and trip from Brisbane to New Zealand and return.? If so is there any cost? Cliff Matfin em: [email address removed]

Barry Cirillo

Yes you should be fully covered however if your cruise did not leave Australian waters ,even though you were in the International Ports of Sydney,Melbourne,Adelaide etc NAB and QBE refuse to acknowledge that these ports are covered by their ambiguous definitions(they are NOT international ports according to them!)

Barry Cirillo

Remember that in disputes you are dealing with TWO hostile entities QBE and NAB!

Marie B

Marie Basked

Do I need to get a policy document and do I need to inform NAB of any existing medical conditions?

Claire

I would suggest ringing NAB about getting them to send you information about what is covered. I was not covered for a pre-existing condition. You are automatically covered if you paid for your flights and accommodation prior to commencing your trip and used an eligible NAB card. I had the platinum card and had to spend $500.

Marie B

Marie Basked

Do I need to get a policy from NAB now that I have paid the required amount for my trip ? Do I need to tell NAB of any pre existing medical conditions ?

Margaret

Margaretasked

What do I have to do to be covered by the NAB insurance for international travel?

Claire

Margaret you need to have one of their eligible credit cards. I have a Platinum Visa. NAB can tell you if you are eligible. I wish I had used mine earlier. I just claimed and they accepted my claim.

Eric

Ericasked

I am the holder of a nab platinum credit card. My wife is an additional card holder. Is she covered for travel insurance with this card

Maree E

Maree Easked

I used my NAB visa debit card to book a flight from Sri Lanka to Vietnam with Air Asia. We can no longer take this trip and Air Asia are refusing to refund. Can I get a refund through NAB?

Vsaks

Vsaksasked

Does NAB travel insurance cover off piste snow skiing ?

Catherine Schembri

Catherine Schembriasked

Ph numbers for nab visa insurance?

Ali H

Ali Hasked

Hi. I have used my Visa card to pay for my daughter's travel. If the primary card holders are not travelling is my daughter still covered? Thank you.

Reenie Sasked

going to europe in September will pay with my NAB visa card will this cover travel insurance for partner and I?

CharlieT
CharlieT

Yes, I believe it will. We got a pretty comprehensive payout when our trip was cancelled for medical reasons, though we had to jump through a hundred hoops before our claim was accepted.

Ads

Just be aware, not all credit cards have insurance, so double check that your card does come with complimentary insurance and that it covers both the cardholder and the additional cardholders. Also, check what policy it is and the excess. It is usually not as good as the stand-alone products. Another thing I noticed is that banks that offer travel insurance as a product usually use a different company for the travel insurance offered through complementary services. So check what company it is and then look at reviews on the internet for that company. Also like CharlieT said, a hundred hoops were jumped before the claim was accepted. One thing I noticed is that even though I have complimentary insurance, I usually buy my own separate as it is safer to do so and offers more protection. The claim period should be much shorter too. The final point to consider is looking at the terms of the insurance, for example, one of my credit cards offers insurance on the condition that I buy a airfare with the card, other states that I need to spend at least $500 on my travel. Not doing what it states on the terms can eliminate your chances of a claim and therefore is risky. I hope this helped a little, let me know if you have any further questions.

thanks for your advice

Emma Cunningham

Emma Cunninghamasked

Does the nab travel insurance that comes with credit card cover snow sports. In Japan for instance. Read the product disclosure but quite vague what it actually covers.
Thanks,

Ads

Snow sports yes but you need to purchase it as an extra and it will cost your premium more. Credit card cover not too sure. From memory it covers lost cards and cash and documents.

Stu
Stu

I wasn’t looking at it from that angle but my guess is that it won’t because it’s a ‘free’ cover. Most paid policies require you to add snow cover so that’s why I’d be doubtful a free one would.
I ended up taking out a paid policy with cover1 which I noticed had a snow cover option.
Best bet would be to ring the QBE contact number for the NAB card cover and ask the question. Just watch pre existing conditions as there is no cover at all no matter how long ago the condition is. This is where I ended up having to take out a paid policy as a hernia op 4 years ago is a pre existing condition and if it ‘played up‘ whilst away - no cover!

Mark

Markasked

Do I have to spend 500 dollars total or 500 dollars per person?

$500 on total trip cost

Viv

Vivasked

Hi NAB. The NAB travel insurance for platinum card holders does not list any pre-existing medical conditions which will automatically be covered like Celiac disease, arthritis, etc like almost all other insurance companies products. Does this mean that it will be more difficult to claim on this insurance?

moo
moo

The pre-existing medical conditions is a bit of a scam. If you have any metal in your body (eg a single screw for an ACL reconstruction or a pin for a fracture fixation) it is considered pre-exisiting! Even if it was put in there a decade ago & you are having no treatment in any way and are fully healed. They consider the presence of metal treatment in itself. If you have the metal removed, it is then considered past medical history and you are apparently covered. So essentially, you need an elective unnecessary surgery (which has inherent risk) to remove non-essential metal from your body, to be covered for your "pre-existing" medical condition. They really should have a REAL DOCTOR advising their claims department of how idiotic their policies are in this instance.

mozzasked

Hi my wife and I have purchased a tour of Vietnam with our NAB credit card and have been warned not to trust the travel insurance that comes with the NAB card, we are confused to say the least. Dennis Mozz. Any ideas?

Gem

I had this complimentary travel insurance made a claim and was fully paid out as required by all insurance companies I had to supply evidence of ownership and costs, etc. but I am using this product again now and in September when travelling overseas.

Hi Mozz,
I would be wary about relying on the credit card travel insurance. QBE referred to rules that were not in the product disclosure statement to refuse my claim - I would not trust them at all. And NAB just washed their hands of it completely, said take it up with QBE and it had nothing to do with them. See their reply to Raleigh's question below, it literally is their approach (despite the fact the PDS has their brand all over it they don't care at all). The only reason I got payment was because of involvement of the insurance ombudsman. And with international insurance you have to have bought all relevant items on your credit card and have made an additional spend on your credit card when overseas to 'activate the insurance'. So if your baggage goes missing on the way over you are not covered. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
Regards

mozz

Thankyou for your reply, it echoed several other responses, so we have gone elsewhere

Get an answer from our members and NAB representatives