Netgear D7800 Nighthawk

Netgear D7800 Nighthawk

MPN: 36035850

Disappointing for the price

I bought this to try to fix a range issue in my house. While it does have decent range, it doesn’t work well with apple products. They regularly cannot connect. The network often drops out requiring a reset.

Purchased in December 2018 for $500.00.

Good for 18 months use only

At around the 18 month point it started doing weird things with wifi and nbn that required rebooting to get a good connection with both. Swapped it over with another d7800 and incredibly had the same issues. Went back to a Netgear AC1750 and all perfect. So D7800 nit goid value at all.

Purchased in January 2017 at Harvey Norman for $600.00.

Number of Connected Devices 30 devices
ISPInternode
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

D7800 No customer service after 90 days

I have had this modem for 9 months. I had no DSL connection so contacted NETGEAR, the customer service Pearson said that my modem has gone into default mode. I asked how to rectify that will cost you $$$
Buyer beware Telstra give 1 year support

Purchased in May 2018 for $580.00.

Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Consistently failed since purchase April 2018

Sold to us on basis of strong signal and good for lots of devices and gaming.
Our experience has been a weaker signal than old Telstra modem and all devices frequently drop off wifi.
Netgear back up is difficult to obtain.
Netgear router log in help menu warns device may need factory settings reset after firmware updates. This all gets too technical and is not user friendly.
The product was also very difficult to set up requiring numerous calls to service centre and even a request for payment after 90 days after purchase date.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Much better then the isp modem

This is a all in one vdsl adsl modem router plus its NBN ready. I recommend setting up the device manually not automatically so you have no problems like drop outs they are often caused by incorrect settings or information by the auto setup. you can get all the information for manual setup from your isp. overall this device has significantly increased internet speeds and I am very happy with the product. one more thing I’d like to say is that this device has no (voip phone port) so if you need to run a home phone through the modem you can ether get a voip phone or a voip phone adapter which will cost roughly $80.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Faulty Product, avoid Netgear!

I purchased a Nighthawk D7800 which died after seven months. I paid the return freight and two weeks later got a free replacement. This new D7800 died two months later! Again Netgear promised a replacement if I paid the return postage. So I dispatched this second faulty unit and they received this D7800 three weeks ago and nothing has happened. I have spent hours on the phone with the only response "its on its way". But at the same time I received an email saying that my case will close in three days. Netgear has no customer complaint service you can get to. Avoid Netgears bad product and terrible service!!!

Date PurchasedMay 2018

One of the Best Modems/Routers in today's market

I had issues with my previous modem/router, like constant at Wi Fi drop outs of Data not Wi Fi signal, lagging on playing HIGH resolution games and buffering watching live tv. Since I purchased the Netgear Nighthawk D7800 all problems fixed. I am extremely happy with its advanced technology inside, at the end it is worth its money and what you pay is what you get, I highly recommend this product to anyone.
The above issues are the most common issues so if you have encountered them buy the Netgear Nighthawk Modem/ Router

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Strong performer

The netgear d7800 nighthawk was purchased to replace a netcomm basic modem. I am connected to fixed wireless nbn and I wanted a good modem to try to boost the signal so it could be picked up in a flat around 50m from my house. The netgear d7800 has the power to do this and is easy to set up and offers basic and advanced setup modes.

Fast and Reliable

Great product. Easy to setup, with detailed instructions. Great for gamers or families with loads of internet users. Minimal if not zero lagging on the internet quality. Happy Husband on this end! Also a very happy wife as it’s design is now a talking point in our house! Love it

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Does what it says it will do

Previously had an optus router which did a terrible job and constantly would need to reboot and provided terrible speeds with more than one connection. Since investing in this router those problems have stopped. It has provided great return on my investment as I never have to worry about a slow internet connection again. It connects multiple devices and never misses a beat.

Excellent wifi coverage

Recently moved to FTTN NBN and needed a router that can support VDSL.. after a bit of research choose Nighthawk X4S D7800 AC2600 router.. So far it has been very good with wifi coverage and had not had any drops due to the router. Very easy and quick setup.. The only downside is that it doesn't support VOIP..

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great router!

I bought this modem/router primarily to upgrade the number of connected devices that I can use and it didn't disappoint. Previous modem routers started slowing devices once one or two were connected, however now I'm able to connect 5 or 6 devices without any significant loss of signal. The modem/router will be constrained by your incoming internet speed, so don't expect it to create miracles with internet speed.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Using it as a router :(

I moved to Optus FTTN NBN in April, and the modem they supplied is a piece of rubbish - and the Wifi is atrocious. So I read into it, and found the Nighthawk XS4 was compatible with FTTN. So I bit the bullet and paid the huge amount - lucky it was on sale at the time. I have to admit setup was very easy, just plug it in select Optus and away you go... the problem..It syncs about 20MB slower than the modem supplied by Optus. AAAAGGHHHH - so after reading, reading and reading up, I found that it is a common problem, with no fix insight.
On the up side the wifi signal is absolutely 100% on the supplied modem. NO drop outs, and reaches every cm of my house. So in the end I have turned on the AC only mode and have it plugged in to the Optus modem using it as a router. Bit of a messy set up - but it works. And the added USB plugs makes it awesome for streaming movies/photos etc to any tv and computer in my house from a portable hard drive. Ended up being an expensive Router...BUT... it does a fantastic job as one.... It can be used as a modem on NBN as well, just don't expect high speed syncs.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Does the job

Upgraded from standard Telco supplied router, instantly I was reaching atleast 30% improvement on connection via Wi-Fi. Set up was a bit more of a hassle then first thought, I called the helpline and they provided a bit of help but ultimately it was left up to me. Overall I am happy with the device

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great Range

I have a large house and keep the router under the stairs and the signal reaches every corner of the house at fast speeds with no drop outs. It was very easy to set up and I had no problems with anything connecting to it. It also looks very cool.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great

Have had this modem for 6 months now and it has worked faultlessly. Recommended. Fast and looks good. I have utilized its full potential as I'm only using it as a modem and not a home network setup with plug in play options. That's next once I figure out how to do it. Netgear genie could be a bit more in depth.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Over priced and under performing

Nothing but problems from the start, first firmware update modem no longer worked, same problem second replacement after spending hours on the phone to tech person overseas who could barely speak or under stand English I received a third modem and now this drops out when it likes RUBBISH PRODUCT

Date PurchasedJan 2016

This not worth the money if your house is

Double brick with a lot of obstacle like glass is gonna greatly decrease the signal strength of this router, but this router will be (i think )very good router if you place it near your desktop and laptop, because the router can establish two network, one being the 5g network it is very fast for any within 1 m radius.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Spent a lot on this... overall disappointed

I've been having wifi issues for years with my Apple setup, so decided to invest on this modem to solve my problems. It didn't really help... I'll admit my apartment has solid concrete walls, but for $500 I'd have expected this unit to be able to penetrate the walls by a few meters. I struggle with reception in the bedroom, which is only about 5-8m from the modem. Should have just stuck with the unit TPG provided.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Does not work with FTTN and NETGEAR support cannot find a fix

Will not work with FTTN and unfortunately it has been 3 months and many hours with NETGEAR support (which is overseas and totally unhelpful) has refused to find a fix for the issue.
Some of the worst customer service I have ever had......much worse than Telstra!
The restarting of the unit is painfully slow for something that is suppose to have an amazing processor at its core

Date PurchasedFeb 2017