Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 R7000P

Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 R7000P (page 2 of 2)

MPN: 35915771

Almost perfect

This is a great router.

This is the most I have spent on a router and I am very pleased with the performance. It is very stable and rarely requires reboot. We are a high traffic household and it manages up to 15 devices (including guests) with ease. Our devices include Fetch TV, laptops, tablets, phones and printers.

We are in a 2 storey townhouse and it covers the entire house without the need for extenders. It has a great range of features. I don't use the QoS and Smart Network which seem to make performance worse for me, but that may simply my inexperience with them.

I love the security features which allow me to assign static connections to all the devices on the network and then manage access. My biggest complaint is that I can only have a single schedule operating (I confirmed with Netgear) which unfortunately all the controlled devices must have a single bedtime.

There is also an app for my Smartphone which allows me to see who is on and switch off devices or networks.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Feature packed router

Bought this router off gumtree for $100 and I believe that is the best money I have spent on a router. Currently using it on an ADSL2+ connection (with NBN due soon) with a Telstra modem on bridge mode. It was fairly easy to set it up and get it going although the interface could get a modern makeover. Wireless performance is definitely much better than the old TP-Link D7 it replaced. The wireless connection has been very stable across all the devices in my house, There are still heaps of features which I haven't explored but I guess those will appeal to a more advanced user. The iOS companion app is very handy when it comes to restarting the router or having a look at all the devices on the network.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Perfect modem for high-tech era!

The modem is stable since we used. It has good penetration. We seldom reboot the machine. Netgear gives us a secure internet environment and it is suitable for the family which has heavy use of computers and internet. The speed is good with good energy efficiency level. It is problem free for the whole family. I highly recommend it !

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Works perfectly with my 100mbps NBN network

Works well and have not had any issues. Been using this since July 2014 and it is still going strong. As I live in a townhouse with my friends next door, we share the internet with just 1 R7000. 5ghz connection is a bit short but the 2.4ghz connects every corner of both houses without any reduction in speed.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Just OK. Nothing to call home about.

Works well, have not had any issues thus far. No software issues so far, everything runs alright. Programs are responsive and run well on this device. Good design, nice colour and solid manufacturing. However, it's not particularly impressive given the relatively high price point. It's no better than the TP-Link I also have which I got for half the price.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

A nice little router

I'm moving house, so I need a new router. I tried it at the house I'm at, east to setup, the wifi works great, and I set up a guest wifi, so if friends come over, they can use it without knowing the main wifi password.
The only thing I don't like about it is the size, and how it can only be put flat on the table, which I don't really care about it since it can be placed on top of the PC or a shelf somewhere.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Great signal in poor reception buildings (e.g. Town House)

My main reason for purchasing the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk was due to the fact that living in a townhouse meant I got poor signal upstairs, especially with mobiles devices. Purchased this and the signal was much more reliable, especially in the deadspots. Currently, not using it as I have moved, however, will be re-connecting again soon to take advantage of the QoS for gaming.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Very happy with my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk

For some reasons, the wireless function of my modem started to fail (i.e. connected devices drop constantly), so I decided to buy the Netgear R7000 as a separate wireless router. This device has been working really well (with strong signal) and is very stable (not much signal drops) over the past 6 to 9 months. The Live Parental Controls which come free of charge is great and is very easy to setup. I am currently using it at our home to stop our children accessing websites which are not suitable for them.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Best router i've owned.

I upgraded to this from a WNDR3800 which performed well but had poor Wi-Fi coverage. I originally tried a netgear Wi-Fi range extender but that caused issues with devices hunting around the different networks and dropouts at extreme ends of the house.

I have a large 2 storey house and this router covers the whole house in 2.4GHz and will even do my front and back yard.

Performance is great, never drops out and I have 10-20 devices running off it both hardwired and wireless.

Highly recommended.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great router for FTTP NBN - Fast wifi

All in all routers aren't particularly exciting products but they are functional. This one is a class act for a router - best one I have ever owned. I don't really have much to say except it works really well. It copes with our households internet requirements and my small business file transfers fine.

I'm on 100/40 NBN. I bought this router about 10 months ago.
It's very fast. All mobile phones get fast wifi connections of over 380mbs whcih is heaps. My laptop gets consistant 300mbs wifi connection which is what it is rated to max. It copes well with several streaming UHD content users at a time.

The admin user interface is ok. It could be improved if I was being picky but rarely need to change anything so that doesn't matter much. It updates itself easily without having to separately download firmware. I'm not even sure if there are aftermarket firmware, like tomato, for this router as I haven't needed any additional features above and beyond standard.

You can set up a guest network if you don't trust your guests.
There are 2 usb ports to connect hard drives and printers to for sharing. you can turn off the flashing lights to not get disturbed at night.
You can monitor network traffic and set limits if you need to.
There lots of firewall settings to play with if required - VPN's, port forwarding, blocking ip addresses etc
It claims to have parental controls which you can set using an app on your phone but I haven't used them so can't comment if they are any good.

All in all if you need a router for FTTP internet, then this is a solid choice.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Great Wi-Fi Router

I have had the R7000 router since April 2014 when I replaced my beloved Linksys WRT-610N. It was selected after a lengthy review up against the Asus RT-AC68U and Linksys WRT1900AC.

It has not missed a beat in that time, only re-booted it a few of times as I would fault-find for kids reporting trouble with the internet (the D-link modem at fault) and the ~six monthly firmware updates.... used in a two storey home it has very long range compared to the old Linksys and is very fast. I use it for watching full HD movies and normally have about 25 devices (Chromecasts, NAS server through a 1Gig switch, laptops, tablets, phones, security cameras) attached at any one time.

Only thing I would improve is the inbuilt dashboard that Netgear provides... not enough info presented... I would like to know the signal strength of the attached devices, as well as the downloads from the individual devices rather than just the combined total through the router. Signal strengths are available from running the Netgear Android app attached to the router, but not from directly attaching from a PC on my network... go figure. DD-WRT firmware could be loaded to give me this info, but I'm not bothering to go that route (ptp).

I haven't had the drop-outs others mention here nor have contacted Netgear support.

Decent hardware, a tad unreliable, horrid support

First off, this is the 3'rd Netgear router I've had, and from a hardware perspective i think it's a decent router. Considering the speed of the wifi (using on BP cable, getting all 100mbps over wifi) and "beamforming" I've found it's good accurate and really fast, everything as advertised. Software too seems to work well, most of the time, providing backup shares to my apple devices etc. Best feature is the guest network, really easy to configure and safer than giving visitors access to your real network. Interface is intuative if you've played with wireless a bit gives you some decent options.

However, I would strongly encourage anyone to not purchase this device. Two reasons;
1, Software, despite mostly being easy to use, is the source of a number of dropouts they've been patching for a while. Generally it's been liveable but on some occasions it really starts having some issues. Initially i thought it was my internet connection but quickly diagnosed it to be this router.
2, Support is horrible, when their latest firmware came out which was supposed to fix an upstream connection issue for dropouts, the "upgrade" rebooted my modem every 5 minutes after the patch completed meaning i was able to connect to the internet for 4 minutes out of 5 then no reliable access. It continued this reboot cycle for 1 hour after many reboots etc. i gave up and contacted their support. Support quickly fobbed me off saying it's not covered by warranty and to go buy some support. So apparently installing a latest firmware that fixes security issues and a reliability issue is considered "configuration support" which i find totally dodgy and poor customer relations. No more Netgear for me after this experience.
Frankly this thing is a lemon. I eventually after uploading an old firmware and rebooting a few more times I managed to get it stable again so right now it's working for the most part, I'll wait and see if it's stable.
Keep clear.

Think twice about this router. Expensive and does not live up to its claims of reliability and speed

I would like to advise other potential buyers of Netgear's R7000 Wireless Router to think twice about buying it. I bought this unit due to it being marketed as a highly reliable fast wireless router. Wrong. I've owned this unit for three months and since day one it suffered intermittent dropouts. Not too bad at first but now every ten minutes for 20 - 40 seconds. You only realise when your internet page drops out and you lose any info you had typed into it (great when you are trying to run a business). About 20 seconds later you get the late advice from the Netgear Genie that internet connectivity has dropped out (again).

I have spent the past five days emailing back and forward trying all solutions offered without success. It has now been recognised as a hardware failure. When bypassing this wireless router and plugging directly into my main modem the internet connectivity was 100% reliable and much much faster than when I connected to the rear ports of this Netgear wireless router. And I am talking about a much more noticeable difference in speed. Instantaneous when not using the router but a lag when plugged into the router.

So I have paid top dollar for a faulty unit that has never worked and not fit for the purpose I bought it for. I have also wasted hours trying to fix the problem - emailing Netgear support, waiting 24 hours for a response, spending an hour each time on their suggested solutions, emailing again, waiting etc. After several emails and fixes they advise it is a hardware fault. Now I find I have to pay for the privilege to send my unit back to Netgear and wait at least two weeks for a second hand replacement.

This is not acceptable. Netgear has admitted to a defective router and I have to pay 15% of the purchase price and wait two weeks (at least) for a fix after spending so much time already.

If reliability, brand backing and wired connectivity speed is important to you then do not buy this router.
Nice looks but that is about it.
Unreliable. Numerous wifi dropouts. Not meeting marketed claims of reliability. Expensive. Slow wired connectivity. You pay top dollar to return any defective unit with the possibility of receiving and older second hand unit. Slow support service.