Nexgard Spectra

Nexgard Spectra Questions & Answers

Large (15.1-30kg), Medium (7.6-15kg), Small (3.6-7.5kg), etc...
Brand Manager for Nexgard? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

23 questions from our users

Robyn White
Robyn Whiteasked
Spectra

Does Nexgard Spectra guard against or kill tapeworm?

Rhino
Rhino

I'm not sure if it kills tapeworm Robyn but I can assure you it nearly killed my dog.

Nicole C
Nicole Casked
Spectra

Hi, our puppy bordoodle is now 10 months old and he has been taking this product since we bought he when he was 2 months old and we took him to check up, the vet recommended this product Nesgard-spectra to us. I have been looking for the alternative brand for him before. I was shocked and saw this product only 2 stars here. I read all the comments and it's scared me now. Could anyone give me another suggestion? Thanks

bosstag
bosstag

Hi Nicole.
We too have been giving it to our 2 dogs since it was on the market. However it appears to build up in their systems and we almost lost both our fur babies the last time. Our larger poodle was bleeding from the bowel. If you check on the American site you can see that it has been removed from sale as it kills the dogs. As far as alternatives go I think the drop behind the neck seems to work for most dogs. I believe the problem comes in when the drug contains everything ..ticks, flees and worms. You may just cut back to the tick and flees then 2 weeks later give them a separate wormer. But check out the American reviews first. You can also give them a probiotic for dogs for good stomach health. We do now.
David.

Lee M.
Lee M.asked
Spectra

My dog is 18 kg and then exhaust spectra I have is 7.6-15kg. Should I give her 2 chewable tablets?

Debbie Ferguson
Debbie Fergusonasked
Spectra

What if any are the side effects on dogs?

Vizsla Mum

We have 2 dogs. One appeared to have no side effects. The other lethargy when we first used it then unexplained seizures and the last time she had an Addisonian crisis - almost died and now on daily steroid tablets and monthly injections . Would not recommend!!!

Vasko J.
Vasko J.asked
Spectra

My dog is over 7.5kg. Can I give him the tablets for under that weight?

Vizsla Mum

No point as will not get effective dose. Giving treatment with side effects and no benefit. Also would not recommend theses tablets - our vizsla nearly died and now on lifetime steroid treatments

Kim
Kimasked
Spectra

Vet recommended this for my 10.5 yr old pit bull cross. Within 20 minutes he had diarrhea. And 24 hours later he still has diarrhea. How long with this last? He is eating & active still.

I will definitely give with food next time & maybe divide it in 2 meals.

Natalie M.
Natalie M.

Don’t do it 3 months of treatment and 2k later mine is still in the vets every test and thought he was poisoned. Ever again

Donna H.
Donna H.asked
Spectra

Can this product elevate my dogs liver enzymes Alk.Phos. and Alt.?How can you tell side effect from product?

Simsim L.
Simsim L.asked
Spectra

Can I use two tablets in one month

Reviewed
Reviewed

Why would you even contemplate using this product? Have you not read these reviews???? Has anyone else noted the absence of any response from the makers of this stuff???

Kyme H.

My vet gives our puppies theirs, they are fine, no reactions at all

Maddie
Maddie

One of my dogs had severe seizures from this product and the other passed away, just because yours were fine does not mean this is a good product. Yours are just lucky. This is not a good product and the majority of reviews show this, even my vet agrees and does not know how this product is still for sale.

Kelly
Kellyasked
Spectra

Has anyone found their dog starting showing signs of skin allergy after using this product?
My American staffy now 6 months began showing skin rash symptoms ie. red, inflamed, pimple type itchy rash for about 6 weeks now, we thought it was diet related but after eliminating multiple foods still no relief. Now after looking back it all started within days of first nexgard spectra dose. Had the 2nd dose 2 weeks ago so now will have to wait for that to leave his system before we can know for sure.

Angry dog owner

no skin allergies that I noticed, but terrible water/mucous diarrhea for weeks and now terrible liver disease with unbelievable liver enzymes. Unfortunately, X-rays revealed that she is slowly dying. This alter two monthly doses. Same problem on web search of others.

Narelle
Narelle

This product is toxic and shouldn't be allowed on the shelves. Our perfectly healthy 2 year old lab suffered terrible seizures after been given this chemical filled tablet. Our vet thought he had epilepsy and placed him on medication. This changed his happy self into being anxious and off balance. We weaned him off his medication and now he is back to his normal mischievous playful self. No seizures for six months but I hope he doesn't have any long term damage.

Fiona K.
Fiona K.

Kelly. How did you go? My pup is also a staffy x amstaff and her 2nd dose is due in a couple weeks but wondering now if I should change brands??

Geoff S.
Geoff S.asked
Spectra

The Next Gard Spectre packet states monthly treatment. The table below states 2 to 3 months. Which is correct?

Angry dog owner

Do not use this product. Like many others have reported, it has caused serious liver disease in my dog and vet said she is going to die. Had liver enzymes done and xray and her issues are terminal. Liver enzymes repeated, off the charts literally.

Moneypenney
Moneypenney

Gosh, I’m so sorry to hear this. My baby is in hospital tonight. He’s had 3-4 doses over the last 8 months. Bloody diarrhea tonight and on IV.

Mariam L.
Mariam L.

Wow, I am so afraid now, I gave tablet to my little doggie yesterday. She looks fine, no vomiting or diharrea, is it likely to have side effects lately? :((((((((((((

Lotus P.
Lotus P.asked
Spectra

Just wondering - I forgot to give my do his Nextguard when it was due 10 days ago. Will this create too much issues?

Old timer
Old timer

That’s a good thing this medication is poison,nearly killed my dog ,try getting a medication you put on the skin of your dog it works for us.

Vi Green
Vi Greenasked
Spectra

I have 1 dose left for up to 7.5 kg my pup is now 8.1. Would the smaller dose still work on her? Then next month I will buy the bigger dosage. Thank you.

Bon
Bon

IMHO. Perhaps to some extent yes. In the cooler months I give my pup (18mths) 1 chew every 2nd month because I get concerned about all those chemicals in her system. She has no fleas or other nasties. I would liken it to taking 1 panadol instead of 2 as recommended!

Beck
Beckasked

If I am 4 days late administrating it will my dog be protected

Angela C.
Angela C.asked
Spectra

Is it possible this is causing my dogs allergies?

gotamangina
gotamangina

My poor puppy was given this from the time we got him (3 months) until 2 months ago. He would be gassy and lethargic for a couple of days, which I figured was a normal response. After a while he started to have blood in his stools and eventually was passing piles of blood and mucus and losing weight. It took me so long to figure out what was causing it, but we took him off Nexgard in October and he has been fine and putting weight back on ever since.

RSaxton

Hi Angela, my response should be viewed in the context that I believe these products pose an unnecessary risk for one's pets, so I am opposed to using them. That said, I do not believe the product would trigger actual allergies. They may trigger reactions that appear similar to some allergies, but here we are getting to a fine line best defined by veterinary professionals. My major concerns are that reactions could lead to serious illnesses (however they may be described) or even the death of a pet. The chemical effects of the product cannot be flushed out of the pet's system in the event of an adverse reaction, and the effects can linger months after the stated effective period of the product. In short, the products may be convenient for us as pet owners, but can distress or kill our pets. If you love your pet, and I'm sure you do, use something else.

john casked
Spectra

My dog gets sores on her back and black spots on the top of the sores could because I give her Spectra
7.5 she dose NOT like it
John

RSaxton

Our dog did not experience such problems, but others have reported similar issues. I recommend a topically applied solution, such as Frontline Plus. I'll never give another dog a chewable flea & tick product. Keep in mind that Frontline Plus can cause irritation to humans, especially should it come in contact with your eyes.

john c

Thank you for your input I will try your suggestion
John

ben dover

This stuff nearly killed my dog if you want to get rid of fleas & ticks try natural solutions teaspoon of apple cider vinegar & water in a spray bottle & spray the dog at least once a months kills fleas & ticks as soon as its sprayed on. Fleas & ticks hate it...& it makes their coat healthy & shiny ok they may smell like vinegar for a while but it will soon pass. Apple cider vinegar also kills intestinal worms. heart worms& tapeworms a teaspoon in the food each day will be worm free

Christine R.
Christine R.asked
Spectra

Can this also cause heavy panting and tremors. I dosed my Kelpie 24 hrs ago and now she is on the bed with me showing these symptoms and obviously in distress. Thanks

ben dover

dont use it it will kill your dog

Penelope G B.
Penelope G B.

My dog is medium to small half Pug half Maltese Shitzu but my vet and I agree she looks like a big Pomeranian she is just over 6kg and I've noticed the panting as well. And also if I'm 2 weeks late for her dose 80% of her hair falls out I'm over that I'm letting this current dose end and I'm taking her to the vet. That can't be good for them to go through that

Wendy B
Wendy Basked
Spectra

Changed over to NEXGARD Spectra this yr , used NEXGARD for flea and tick and separate heartworm treatment , never had any fleas in 7 yrs , recently took 25 off her face head area ? Been using 5 months now ,is there a reason why this occurred? With the Spectra...

Marian C.
Marian C.asked
Spectra

Really confused now as what to give my dog. One vet recommends one doesn't. Been using it for nearly a year with no problems but now worried over long term. Would appreciate advice. Carol

Inem N.
Inem N.asked
Spectra

I gave my 4 years old maltese - shihtzu a tablet of NexGard Spectra last month and it was fine. He loved it and he chewed it. But today I'm giving it to him for the second time and he really hates it. He ran away and refuse to take it. Could anyone advise why he hates it now? Also how to give him the tablet (FYI he is on dry food diet since the beginning so not sure if i can mix it with the wet food)? Thanks.

Kyme H.

Our puppies did that to, just put it in with a few of their biscuits, they ate it..

Ovini M.
Ovini M.

I don't think you should give it once a moth even though they say so. That's too risky. Try to use some natural alternatives. We never know what happens inside their body after giving these powerful medicine.

Delie H.