Nexgard Spectra
See the Best Tick & Flea Control Products in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Nexgard? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Nona   I go now
Nona I go nowAU

Unsure about side effects

I'm sure Nexgard does what it says at the "5 star" standard, it certainly fixed a puppy worm problem. But will be trying alternatives to Afoxolaner, with vets guidance, due to our dog having a side effect (blood in diarrhea for several days after each dosing - bull terrier 15kg).

Concerned it caused pancreatitis

Less than a week after giving my dog her first ever dose of Nexgard Spectra (the vet receptionist sold me on it) my healthy 11 year old spaniel came down with severe diarrhoea and vomiting and after 24 hours was rushed to emergency vet hospital and put on IV fluids for 24 hours at great cost to us. Very distressing.
I am convinced that there is something about the combination of the two drugs that stresses the gastrointestinal and nervous system out as it’s being processed through the body.
I’m raising it with our vet as a potential toxin that kicked off my dog’s hospitalization.
Be very very careful when administering this drug!

Purchased in July 2019.

Lulu
LuluSouth East Queensland, QLD

Far from a "Tasty Chew"

My miniature poodle refuses to eat this. I've been using it for over a year now and every time I have to hide it in cheese, treats, even grinding it into his favourite food. It's quite a challenging process to say the least. I've spoken to a lot of pet owners at the dog park, and I'm not alone. They all say they have to mix it with something before their dog will eat it. So much for "highly palatable when offered as a treat".

Purchased in January 2019.

andante73
andante73Central Queensland, QLD

Nexgard good, Spectra Poison

Tick & Flea Control Products

Find out how Nexgard Spectra compares to other Tick & Flea Control Products

Robyn White
Robyn Whiteasked
Spectra

Does Nexgard Spectra guard against or kill tapeworm?

Rhino
Rhino

I'm not sure if it kills tapeworm Robyn but I can assure you it nearly killed my dog.

Nicole C
Nicole Casked
Spectra

Hi, our puppy bordoodle is now 10 months old and he has been taking this product since we bought he when he was 2 months old and we took him to check up, the vet recommended this product Nesgard-spectra to us. I have been looking for the alternative brand for him before. I was shocked and saw this product only 2 stars here. I read all the comments and it's scared me now. Could anyone give me another suggestion? Thanks

bosstag
bosstag

Hi Nicole.
We too have been giving it to our 2 dogs since it was on the market. However it appears to build up in their systems and we almost lost both our fur babies the last time. Our larger poodle was bleeding from the bowel. If you check on the American site you can see that it has been removed from sale as it kills the dogs. As far as alternatives go I think the drop behind the neck seems to work for most dogs. I believe the problem comes in when the drug contains everything ..ticks, flees and worms. You may just cut back to the tick and flees then 2 weeks later give them a separate wormer. But check out the American reviews first. You can also give them a probiotic for dogs for good stomach health. We do now.
David.

Lee M.
Lee M.asked
Spectra

My dog is 18 kg and then exhaust spectra I have is 7.6-15kg. Should I give her 2 chewable tablets?

Nexgard Spectra

Compare all 5 Nexgard Spectra
CategoryTick & Flea Control ProductsTick & Flea Control ProductsTick & Flea Control ProductsTick & Flea Control Products
Application TypeChewableChewableChewableChewable
Pet TypeDogDogDogDog
Reapplication PeriodEvery 2-3 monthsEvery 2-3 monthsEvery 2-3 monthsEvery 2-3 months
Minimum Pet Age8 weeks8 weeks8 weeks8 weeks