NIB Health Insurance

NIB Health Insurance Questions & Answers (page 2 of 3)

44 questions from our users

Susu

Susuasked

Can I claim for an iron infusion?

nib health funds h.nib

Hi Susu,

This depends on your individual level of cover. Please contact us at 13 16 42 and we would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks,

Debra R

Debra Rasked

hi there..does NIB cover a partial discount for ray ban sunglasses...not prescription glasses at OPSM or sunglasses hut?

Frank

Actually I just bought a pair of Ray Ban, from Sunglasses hut and asked the sales person for a discount, she said the store doesn't give discount, but if am a member of a private health fund they offer a discount. doesn't matter which health fund! Cheers

nib health funds n.nib

Hi Debra, thank you for your enquiry. I can advise that we do not pay any benefits towards non-prescription sunglasses. Kind regards, Jess.

Pavan

Pavanasked

Cost of student health insurance and where can I get insurance Location please let me know these things?

Frank

I cannot answer the cost of student health insurance, sorry, My blog was to make people aware of that particular health insurance company called NIB.
But you can check the government, web site about health insurance company prices. What you need to make sure of, is the out of pocket cost, you will have to pay
after a visit to the hospital and the extra money payable to the surgeons. Cheers

Hi Pavan,

To find out more about our products please visit our website: https://www.nib.com.au/ or contact us on 13 16 42.

Many thanks,

Yvonne

Yvonneasked

i am an overseas student, I with NIB for two years now. i am pregnant now and due date in April 2018. Does Nib OSHC cover Obstetrics fees? what different between choose private hospital in NIB agreement hospital list or not on the list? Does Nib OSHC cover all the private hospital fee or just part of it? what different for choose public hospital and private hospital?

Hi Yvonne,

Yes obstetrics are covered on the nib OSHC core product at 85% MBS for outpatient medical & 100% MBS for inpatient medical services.

There is a 12 month waiting period for pregnancy related services.

Benefits payable for hospital accommodation and theatre are:

• nib Agreement Private hospital - contracted rate.
• Public hospital - state and territory health authorities rate for public hospitals.
• Non-contracted private hospital - default benefits.

It is important for you to give the hospital Informed Financial Consent and ask the hospital to do an eligibility check so that the hospital can inform you of any potential out of pocket expenses, as there may be considerable out of pocket expenses for non-contracted private hospitals and public hospitals.

If there is anything else you need, please feel free to call us on 13 16 42 or email niboshc@nib.com.au.

Regards,

Momi shah

Momi shahasked

Hi I just want to ask that I got my NiB insurance for student visa form 01/04/2017 to 31/08/2020 and I did not get still my visa so I want to extend the dates Does any buddy know about the procedure of it kindly share please .??

nib health funds n.nib

Hi Momi, we'd like to help. You can contact us via any of the channels listed on our Contact Us page and we'll be able to assist. Visit: https://www.nib.com.au/contact-us#contact-oshc Thanks, nib

Jonathan

Jonathanasked

Where on the NIB website can I cancel my policy. Or do I simply ask my bank to disallow the NIB direct debit?

nib health funds n.nib

Hi Jonathan, we are sorry to hear you are thinking of leaving us. You can cancel your policy by contacting us on any of our channels as listed here: https://www.nib.com.au/about-us Thanks, nib

Julie

Julieasked

Hi, it's likely that I'll need ACL surgery. I'm with nib and have 'just extras' does this still mean I have private health if I opt to get surgery through private? And is a hospital on the agreement list?

nib health funds n.nib

Hi Julie, we'd like to help. If you can contact us with your policyholder information we can take a look into this further for you. You can reach us via any of the methods listed on our Contact Us page: https://www.nib.com.au/about-us Thanks, nib

Glad

Gladasked

Hi, can be able to change cover from Allianz to NIB. Am covered for two years.Jan- 2017 - Feb 2019. I want to know how much it will cost to cover a family, and if my allianz global assistance can transfer my remaining credit? I have been here for less than two months now.

NotANubeAnymore
NotANubeAnymore

Hi Glad, switching insurers is often possible unless you are in a contract. My suggestion is that you speak to NIB for switching as well as for transferring the credits. If you switch, NIB would work on your behalf for transferring from Allianz.
Costs differ on family circumstances and for the kind of coverage you want. Insurers' team members would be able to give you few quotes. Do remember to shop around as you might get better deals elsewhere.
I am just surprised that no one from NIB has answered your question.

Abbeyrose

Abbeyroseasked

Hi do they cover Lipoma removal?

Don Ryan

It is a very basic procedure and I am sure that it will be covered, but you may still incur out of pocket expenses.

shanz

shanzasked

hi i have nib top cover and me expecting. Can any one tell me approximate out of pocket expense ?

Kat
Kat

My children had top health insurance but when it came to claiming for their son they were told it was a pre existing condition. ..he had sleep apnea and had his tonsils and adenoids out but because he had tonsillitis before they couldnt claim!! 2 different conditions i would have thought!! They were also told by NIB to join another health fund and the customer service person said that they would help them do so....they were also told that some customers had been with them for 20 or 30 years and couldn't claim!! Can't see you having much luck ..better of going public

Don Ryan

Your level of cover has NO bearing on what NIB will pay to the doctor. Your out-of-pocket cost is purely dependant on the fee that your doctor(s) are going to charge you, so ask your gynaecologist / anaesthetist / surgical assistant for independent quotes. It is also possible for patients to have to pay out-of-pocket fees for radiology & pathology tests. So ask, ask, ask!!!!

Those who are not familiar with how the private health system works should visit http://surgery.netau.net/ so they can understand the system and how to avoid "bill shock" which is unfortunately quite common for privately insured patients.

Clair Bear

Clair Bearasked

Can anybody tell me if NIB cover gallbladder removal I cant see why they wouldn't list this?

Especially if you are paying top health insurance... why ?

Don Ryan

Check your policy to see if you are covered for "general surgery".

Doreen

Doreenasked

Does OSHC cover my maternity care?

Don Ryan

First check your policy to see if it says you have coverage for maternity. If you do have coverage it will almost certainly only be for the Medicare Schedule fee. If you want to use a private hospital you will be thousands of dollars out-of-pocket for doctors fees and maybe also for radiology and blood tests. You might get free treatment via the public hospital system.

Rose

Roseasked

I have recently transferred my private health cover from Bupa to NIB.
I have been informed that your benefit payments are smaller than competitors.
Can you please enlighten me on this?
If this is the case i believe the comparison rates between funds was not accurately quoted.
Thanking you in advance,
Rose Secker

Don Ryan

Hi. I can confirm that NIB payment rates for medical services are less than for BUPA. This is a 100% fact. I can supply you the web link so you can view for yourself if you wish.

Valerie Davis

Valerie Davisasked

Do you cover stem cell injections for arthritis?

nib health funds n.nib

Hi Valerie, thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately, nib does not currently pay any benefits toward stem cell injections. Kind regards, Kyla

Lois R

Lois Rasked

I am a member and would like to find out how much your fund will pay towards my dentures Item #711?

nib health funds h.nib

Hi Lois, if you would please send us a direct message with your customer number and contact details we can look into this for you and confirm. Thanks, Kyla

Ahmed Elsherbini

Ahmed Elsherbiniasked

Hi! What is the best doctor for nib dental center in the city Sydney?

kinkers
kinkers

I'm afraid I'm unable to help. I live in Adelaide.

maz
maz

I live in Toowoomba, The customer service team at NIB are very helpful they will be able to give you a answer I also know the NIB have there own dentists around town in the Sydney area

Rob
Rob

Hi, I attend NIB dentist in Parramatta. The team there are great & the dentists are wonderful......

LM

LMasked

We have NIB shares and therefore get dividends. If I change my provider from NIB to another does this change? Shouldn't as I own the shares and whether or not I am a member should be irrelevant, right?
LM

Shashwat
Shashwat

Yes it should be right. You should get dividends. However, I'm not from NIB. So you can confirm with them by calling their call centre number.

Craig
Craig

Yep this is no issues, you don't need to be a member to be a shareholder and it's now a publicly listed company

kathereshasked

Hi All,

I need your advice in helping me choose the right health cover. We are a young couple looking for a complete health cover with basic extras.
Would you recommend me to go for NIB (Mid or Full) health cover or should I explore some other providers like BUPA or Medibank ?

Cheers
KJ

OJ
OJ

Hi. Don't choose NIB. most of the medical centres do not accept NIB. So they will ask you to upfront then I need to claim it back. Claiming process seemed fast and easy but it is not. I made 3 claim this but however I haven't received non of them yet. it is been 4 month since I made a claim

Hi OJ

Thanks for your comments, it was valuable. We have gone with Bupa now.

I hope Bupa does their claiming process better.

Toveyd

Toveydasked

How do I go about cancelling my policy & do I get any reimbursement?

From NIB Policy Booklet on-line:
Cancelling the policy
Unless otherwise permitted by us, any cancellation of a Policy:
■■ Must be authorised by the Policyholder in writing, or by calling us,
or in person at an nib Retail Centre;
■■ Can only be implemented from the date notice is provided and may
not have retrospective effect; and
■■ Must be in accordance with other arrangements specified by us.
Refund of Premiums
We may in our discretion refund any excess Premiums when a Policy
is cancelled if requested to do so by the Policyholder in writing, by the
Policyholder calling us or in person at an nib Retail Centre (however
not all nib Retail Centres can refund in cash, or cash limits may apply,
in which case other arrangements may be made to refund Premiums).

Denise

Deniseasked

If I change over to NIB from another health fund, is there anything I need to consider about pre-existing health issues, or will they automatically be covered by NIB without question.?

Tuzzaman

Hi Denise, This Australian Government document should answer your question. Examples on page 3 may be useful. You could also ring NIB and ask. They are very responsive, and their call centre here in Australia!
(Paste this link into your browser)

Get an answer from our members and nib representatives