NIB Health Insurance

• 1-2 months (3)
    • 3+ months (6)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (27) · No

CustomerSydney, NSW

Took time but finally the claim was approved

I made a claim for hospital and was a drama, after long time a discussions the case manager resolved but initially was declined due they said is not covered. Note, I call them before go and they said go ahead. Very hard to contact the claim department and long time to resolve hospital claims

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateFebruary 2021

Golden years

Golden yearsMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

First class health insurer

We have had claims in past 12 months of more than $20000 and experienced great service, benefits paid at good level, premium reasonable and very good App and phone service.

Claim DateFebruary 2021
nibnib

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time and sharing your claiming and customer service experience. We appreciate your loyalty and we're here to help. Cheers, Amanda.

Unbelievable Out-of-Pocket Expenses

We've been with NIB for nearly 15 years. My husband had a simple umbilical hernia surgery last month and NIB only paid $105 for the surgeon fee of $1075 and only paid $52 of the anaesthetist fee of $1100. Yet every year we pay NIB over $4000 in insurance premiums. Like the other reviews on this forum the surgeon told us NIB doesn't pay them near as much as the other insurance companies and that is why he doesn't participate in the NIB MediGap. We are very disappointed and will be changing Insurance companies this month.

Claim DateMarch 2021
MGH
MGH

Diane

DianeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Oxygen theifs

Provided proof that a condition was NOT pre-existing and they denied. The worst service ever. They make up rules and have a couldn't care less attitude. Waited over 3 months to get reimbursement for my sons knee surgery and of the $1200 fee I got $189. I also made a complaint with the ombudsman and NIB gave me 2 free weeks- because it was cheaper than actually paying the claim on time. NIB are cold, uncaring and only interested in taking your money. Do not insure with NIB.

Claim DateNovember 2020
D.Simmons

D.SimmonsGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fantastic customer service

Claim DateDecember 2020
nibnib

Hello D, Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive feedback, it's good to know we are continuing to meet the service expectations of our customers. We hope you are doing well. Warm regards Vicki

User Power

User PowerSydney, NSW

Worst Experience with Health Insurance

I had some worse experiences with other health insurance but this is the worst.
I did not get GP visits for my parent's claim paid fully, even though I do not pay anything when I use my medicare. Medical center does bulk billing. I paid premium for GP Visits included.
Insurance got terminated because they do not provide it if visitor stays more than 1 year even in current pandemic situation.

Claim DateAugust 2020

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Sorry to hear that our international cover did not meet your needs at this time and I hope that we can have a better experience in the future. Kind regards Vicki

Adam W.

Keep jacking up premiums and you get nothing back.

They have just increased my premium, and I ran out of chiropractic cover so now out of pocket with that. These guys are a profits driven insurance company with no care for their customers. Thought I had a heart issue and needed a stent, also not covered and had to pay more for extra cover.

Hi Adam,
I am sorry to hear about your experience with nib and can understand that this is disappointing. I have sent you a private message with further details regarding this.

Adam W.

That's funny Michelle, no private message was received. You guys only want to show the appearance that you care. You have terrible reviews, don't know how you guys can sleep at nights working for a company like nib.

Hi Adam,
I am sorry that you did not receive my private message. I have attempted to send you a new message with some more details.

Life saver insurance

Hi everyone,i read all comments but i am not agree with all ,That is my personal experience,I was in life threatening condition ,Nib saved me ,they are still saving me ,life concern is too big for everyone ,guys commenting and giving bad reviews on that small things as compared to my issue ....Nothing is important then your life guys ...Don’t judge them on basis of technical issues and lateness of claims ...I know it’s frustrating but definitely they will not push you do anything...i think patience is best options ...there are ways to solve problems...but anyway thanks to NIB ...so solute to your serving...thanks

nibnib

Hi Harpreet, Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback and kind words! I hope all is going well and your on your way to recovery, Take care. Kind Regards, Emma

Doug TIMMS

Doug TIMMSSouth East Queensland, QLD

NIB the health insurance provider that are good until you have a claim!

NIB are a Health Insurer who are great...until you have a claim!!! Take out a policy with NIB at your own peril!! Let The Buyer Beware. I have had 2 hospital claims in the past 4 weeks, only ever been to hospital once before for overnight. Because of NIB's Medigap Policy on offering a paltry amount to the providers many practitioners refuse to be part of it...leaving the poor old customer to pay a one-off priced account. I just got caught for anaesthetist account for varicose vein op, price $1,180!!!
Anyway I have transferred my membership (customer) to another fund see ya NIB!! Not Happy Jan!

nibnib

Hi Doug,Thank you for your feedback, I’m sorry to hear you have not had the experience you expected with us. So we can discuss the cancelation with you I have sent you a private message with further details regarding this matter.

PEK

PEKOak Flats

Bad customer service

I changed after 34 years from AHM to Qantas Health, which is NIB. Their customer service after signing up is non existent. I wait for a $12 refund for cancelled travel insurance since March. So before experiencing problems with their health insurance, I will leave them immediately

Claim DateMarch 2020

NickSouth East Queensland, QLD

Horrible experience. They will hold your policy as a hostage.

Claim DateDecember 2019
Sam

SamPerth, WA

Nib health care

Claim DateMarch 2020

Hi Sam,
I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with nib. We would certainly like the opportunity to discuss this with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this.

CJ

CJVictoria, 3809

Should give minus - Bad customer service

Claim DateOctober 2019
vrxbeachboy

vrxbeachboy

Horrible Service

It has been 6 months trying to claim back a private hospital admission cost of $1600 that I had to pay for. They keep finding fault with every little thing in the process and keep telling me I have not sent the correct forms that I have sent them several times. I think their claims services are based in the philippines and they act like robots and are unable to think outside the box and satisfy NIB's customers. Once I get my funds claim I will be searching for a different health insurer.

Shane Powell

Shane PowellGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Being with NIB is so easy!

We've been with NIB for ages, but I've just recently started using their iPhone app. It allows me to understand my cover, including how much of each I have used up of each of my Extras (dental, physio, etc) which I love. The best feature is the ability to simply take a photo of a receipt and submit via the app. The whole experience is so easy, simply awesome! I think its the experience that makes a difference, and NIB have nailed it.

Claim DateDecember 2019

Hi Shane,
Thank you for your kind words. It is not always that a business receives good feedback and we truly appreciate it.
Have a great day!
Vicki :)

Bradley Smith

Bradley SmithMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Incompetent claims process and procedures

Claim DateOctober 2019

Corneal Transplant

Do not go with NIB for Corneal Transplant they are the worst for out of pocket expenses. A little cheaper to join but you pay up at bill time. Check with other providers before choosing what sounds the cheaper option.

Claim DateSeptember 2019
drew

drewHunter Region, NSW

awesome cover at a reasonable price

easy to set up and claim through the app. payments made quickly and no hassles 12 months. the staff couldn't be more helpful when I have had to deal with them

upset customer

upset customerFar North Queensland, QLD

Doesn't cover necessary medical expenses

Even though the insurance was cheap it wasnt good.
The claim process was difficult. I injured myself overseas and upon return required surgery and time off work. Absolutely no cover for that. I would not reccomend NIB.

VIRAJ N.

VIRAJ N.Perth, WA

Value for money

cheaper compared to others. You will get service for what you paid for. Was very easy to set up and claim lodging options are good. Will definitely recommend to people looking for cheaper option.

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim DateJuly 2019

Customerasked

Frances
Frances

I have never had a problem give them a call and sort it out that way they are very helpful

Paul

Paul asked

I’m on work Visa, I've been with nib for 4 years. Does NIB cover surgical or liposuction lipoma removal.

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your question Paul, We have sent a response to your inbox.

Please contact our nib International Working & Visitors Cover team (OVHC) to discuss your cover on Phone: 1800 775 204, Email: nibovhc@nib.com.au, webpage: www.nib.com.au/overseas-working-visitors. Our International Businesses teams are available 8:30am to 6pm weekdays (AEST).

Kind Regards, Richard.

Andrea K.

Andrea K.asked

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July this year and underwent a double mastectomy and reconstruction through the private system  as we had health insurance through your fund and were of the understanding that we were covered for this.   That was until we tried to make a claim. Did you not only decline this claim for the surgery you also declined the hospital stay.
This has put additional stress on my family and myself for which we do not and did not need. Thanks to you we have been left out of pocket by $30 000.  We always knew there would be out of pocket expenses but for your company to simply decline everything is just callous and wrong. We always paid our premiums on time and you did not seem to have a problem taking our money for that, but once we tried to claim fo something that was life saving we come up against a big red stop sign from you.
You have left us broken and struggling when we were once just a normal family living a good life. This year has already been tough enough due to COVID19.
Let me tell you about myself, I was 49, no direct family history of breast cancer, i have 2 teenage children and a husband who would do anything for our family.  This diagnosis turned myself and my family upside down.
I have been staying behind the scenes while my husband has been trying to get you to reconsider your decision but the time has come that I can no longer keep silent about this as it is tearing us apart. I am also embarrassed to be put in this situation.
A company such as yours who made a huge profit this financial year and sprout that health insurance should be easy to claim and good value really need to reconsider this statement because there has been nothing easy about this.
I just hope that there are not other people out (your members) there that are facing the same situation as us.
I would welcome you to contact me but I doubt that will happen and I know this post will probably be deleted.  I feel people need to know how you treat your members while your CEO pays himself a nice tidy bonus while we are left struggling to now make ends meet.
All we ask for is a fair go, not too much to ask for .

See all NIB Health Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and nib representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance