NIB Health Insurance

• 1-2 weeks (8)
    • 2-4 weeks (7)
    • 1-2 months (7)
    • 3+ months (15)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (16) · No (33)
TripperKate

TripperKateAustralia

44 years of top cover, and NIB will pay $125 of the hand surgeon's $1250 bill. Medicare pays more. Save your money folks

Lerma Lissa D.

Lerma Lissa D.South East Queensland, QLD

Terrible

Called NIB to cancel my policy today told me that I cannot cancel my policy because I am still on a bridging visa from a Partner Visa Application. I told them that I have already an interim Medicare Card but they said until I get my Permanent Residency that’s when they cancel my policy!! I have consulted migration lawyer regarding this matter they said it is my right to cancel my policy and they don’t have the right to hold me back! Thanks hat a way to intimidate people NIB!

nibnib

Hi Lerma Lissa, Sorry to hear you have had this experience with nib. In order to investigate what has occurred can you please PM us your policy number, d.o.b and address on the policy for privacy and we will get back to you asap. Thanks Vicki

Nina

NinaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Shifty company

Terrible worse company ever they advertisement promotion on waiting period then emailed change the price promotion is not available. Then charge more for the premium! Customer emailed was unprofessional get angry to customer.

nibnib

Hi Nina, Sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. I would like the opportunity to investigate and explain what has occurred for you. If you would like me to do so please PM us confirming your details. Thanks Vicki

Gabriela

GabrielaSydney, NSW

Not doing their job properly

This is the second time I had to call them and ask them to double-check their decision. My plan covers GP visit, however, they didn't approve the claim. It took them almost a month to do this, yet the job wasn't even done correctly. Furthermore, I had to wait for another 3-5 days for them to process the payment. Such a waste of time.

In addition, It takes a long time to get on the phone with customer service. Gave them my details, however, it was still being asked when I got on the phone. The lady was alright, but the NIB customer journey is just terrible.

BaderSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible Terrible Terrible, It takes ages to payback claims

the policy looks great and cover many extras but what they do with the extras claims they would decline your claim after waiting for few months so that you don't remember what the claim was for, and then you have to call them to solve this issue which would take another decade to solve. I've been with NIB from 2015!! and its getting worse to worse.

Paul H

Paul HSydney Surrounds, NSW

Very unhappy with high out of pocket expenses when you thought you were covered!!

Rob S.

Rob S.Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Very slow response to phone calls.

I am sick of hearing the "we are experiencing a higher than usual number of calls" message, whenever I ring NIB, and being on hold regularly before someone answers my call.

nibnib

Taking double unauthorized payments upon joining!

I joined NIB and they mistakenly took 2 months worth of payments in advance! And that on Thursday before Easter weekend. Will take the 3 working days after Easter to reimburse me. Leaving me out of pocket during and after Easter. This will ultimately have a knock on effect on making my other payments. In-turn that will negatively affect my credit. That being said myself my wife and 2 kids will pay the price in more than one way! With absolutely no consequence to them. They feed off the poor with no regard. NIB I am terribly disappointed.

Tom

TomSouth East Queensland, QLD

Intentionally making support difficult as they continually inflate costs above CPI

I couldn't recommend these guys to anyone. They constantly jack up prices and their Online Chat fails to connect you to a service representative when initiated. Then they do their best to ensure you cannot connect to anyone over the phone so you are trapped with them as they continue to price hike you mercilessly.

Find out how NIB Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Don't waste your money! Ridiculous customer service and the contract is deliberately misleading

Johnson
Johnson

I need a number that I can talk to the manager level please. The customer service you have at the frontline does not solve issues but wastes time.

Hi Johnson,
Thank you for your reply. I have sent you a private message to obtain your details to have your enquiry escalated and reach a resolution.
Tia

inot

inot

Not good value for me

Just altering my review - initially I’d mentioned that the Silver level NIB hospital + extras cover which is a considerable cost every month did not cover cataracts. My mistake, it seems they do cover cataracts.
I am female over 66
Still I don’t need cover for male reproductive system, tonsils adenoids, grommets, miscarriage and termination of pregnancy.

S Grant

S GrantSydney Surrounds, NSW

Loyal Customer No More

CustomerSydney, NSW

Took time but finally the claim was approved

I made a claim for hospital and was a drama, after long time a discussions the case manager resolved but initially was declined due they said is not covered. Note, I call them before go and they said go ahead. Very hard to contact the claim department and long time to resolve hospital claims

Philip C

Philip CCanberra

Don’t Hold Your Breath When Claiming

Made a legitimate claim on February 15 and nib is still prevaricating on March 2. I have never experienced a system which appears so blatantly to delay paying claims. They aren’t the slightest bit apologetic. Avoid nib - there are better alternatives.

nibnib

Hi Philip, I have sent you a private message requesting more information to assist with a follow up. Thanks, Amanda.

Unbelievable Out-of-Pocket Expenses

We've been with NIB for nearly 15 years. My husband had a simple umbilical hernia surgery last month and NIB only paid $105 for the surgeon fee of $1075 and only paid $52 of the anaesthetist fee of $1100. Yet every year we pay NIB over $4000 in insurance premiums. Like the other reviews on this forum the surgeon told us NIB doesn't pay them near as much as the other insurance companies and that is why he doesn't participate in the NIB MediGap. We are very disappointed and will be changing Insurance companies this month.

MGH
MGH

PHY

PHY

Delay refund for profit

Needed to get a refund on my insurance as I was switching to another provider. Was told that it requires around a month to process the request. Talked to my new provider and they say this is not really ok. It has been more than a month now and my request still hasn't been processed. They take you

nibnib

Hello, we have sent a private message to assist further.

Annoyed !

I had a baby birth at private hospital.
I received an invoice of $1200 seperate which made a claim and was rejected. I called them and they told me to provide hopital documents. I did and again rejected claim. I called them back and they said my insurance doesn't cover the claim. I had to tell them the whole history of my insurance upgrades. Then they agreed to pay but didn't received. I called them again and they still asked hopital documents. Then i called the hopital to send documents to my insurance but they had already send it long ago.
Everytime i called the insurance, they would put me in hold for around 30mins.
I'm so annoyed.

Andrew F.Sydney, NSW

Pretend Health Insurance

I just had knee surgery and thought I was only going to be out of pocket $500 excess for hospital cover and then whatever the anesthetist charges (in this case, $1000). Unfortunately, I was very wrong. Although my level of cover does include ACL reconstructions, I just copped a bill for $4000 of which I only get back $2000. So in total, I am out of pocket $3500. I was told by my surgeon's receptionist that NIB is the only health fund that doesn't cover the full fees, no matter what level of cover you're on. Needless to say, I'm switching funds.

Ad

Unpaid claim for the last 10months!!

Unpaid claim for the past 10months and still following up.everytime i ring am told it will get sorted as soon as possible.i dont feel my policy was a good value.i have been getting endless emails from the hospital regarding the unpaid invoices and its driving me nuts.horrible service and wouldnt recommend it to anyone!

Julian R

Julian RSydney, NSW

NIB Call centre is a complete DISASTER

Customerasked

Frances
Frances

I have never had a problem give them a call and sort it out that way they are very helpful

Paul

Paul asked

I’m on work Visa, I've been with nib for 4 years. Does NIB cover surgical or liposuction lipoma removal.

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your question Paul, We have sent a response to your inbox.

Please contact our nib International Working & Visitors Cover team (OVHC) to discuss your cover on Phone: 1800 775 204, Email: nibovhc@nib.com.au, webpage: www.nib.com.au/overseas-working-visitors. Our International Businesses teams are available 8:30am to 6pm weekdays (AEST).

Kind Regards, Richard.

Andrea K.

Andrea K.asked

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July this year and underwent a double mastectomy and reconstruction through the private system  as we had health insurance through your fund and were of the understanding that we were covered for this.   That was until we tried to make a claim. Did you not only decline this claim for the surgery you also declined the hospital stay.
This has put additional stress on my family and myself for which we do not and did not need. Thanks to you we have been left out of pocket by $30 000.  We always knew there would be out of pocket expenses but for your company to simply decline everything is just callous and wrong. We always paid our premiums on time and you did not seem to have a problem taking our money for that, but once we tried to claim fo something that was life saving we come up against a big red stop sign from you.
You have left us broken and struggling when we were once just a normal family living a good life. This year has already been tough enough due to COVID19.
Let me tell you about myself, I was 49, no direct family history of breast cancer, i have 2 teenage children and a husband who would do anything for our family.  This diagnosis turned myself and my family upside down.
I have been staying behind the scenes while my husband has been trying to get you to reconsider your decision but the time has come that I can no longer keep silent about this as it is tearing us apart. I am also embarrassed to be put in this situation.
A company such as yours who made a huge profit this financial year and sprout that health insurance should be easy to claim and good value really need to reconsider this statement because there has been nothing easy about this.
I just hope that there are not other people out (your members) there that are facing the same situation as us.
I would welcome you to contact me but I doubt that will happen and I know this post will probably be deleted.  I feel people need to know how you treat your members while your CEO pays himself a nice tidy bonus while we are left struggling to now make ends meet.
All we ask for is a fair go, not too much to ask for .

See all NIB Health Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and nib representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance