NIB Health Insurance

• 1-2 weeks (3)
    • 2-4 weeks (5)
    • 1-2 months (3)
    • 3+ months (8)
  • Claim ApprovedYes · No (32)

BaderSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible Terrible Terrible, It takes ages to payback claims

the policy looks great and cover many extras but what they do with the extras claims they would decline your claim after waiting for few months so that you don't remember what the claim was for, and then you have to call them to solve this issue which would take another decade to solve. I've been with NIB from 2015!! and its getting worse to worse.

Claim DateMarch 2021

Philip C

Philip CCanberra

Don’t Hold Your Breath When Claiming

Made a legitimate claim on February 15 and nib is still prevaricating on March 2. I have never experienced a system which appears so blatantly to delay paying claims. They aren’t the slightest bit apologetic. Avoid nib - there are better alternatives.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2021
nibnib

Hi Philip, I have sent you a private message requesting more information to assist with a follow up. Thanks, Amanda.

Annoyed !

I had a baby birth at private hospital.
I received an invoice of $1200 seperate which made a claim and was rejected. I called them and they told me to provide hopital documents. I did and again rejected claim. I called them back and they said my insurance doesn't cover the claim. I had to tell them the whole history of my insurance upgrades. Then they agreed to pay but didn't received. I called them again and they still asked hopital documents. Then i called the hopital to send documents to my insurance but they had already send it long ago.
Everytime i called the insurance, they would put me in hold for around 30mins.
I'm so annoyed.

Claim DateJanuary 2020

Find out how NIB Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Unpaid claim for the last 10months!!

Unpaid claim for the past 10months and still following up.everytime i ring am told it will get sorted as soon as possible.i dont feel my policy was a good value.i have been getting endless emails from the hospital regarding the unpaid invoices and its driving me nuts.horrible service and wouldnt recommend it to anyone!

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Koala B.

Koala B.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Absolutely shocking customer service

Claim DateJanuary 2021

Absolutely Disgraceful

Claim DateJanuary 2021

Hi Megs,
Thanks for reaching out. If you'd like us to look into this for you, could you kindly send us a private message with your full name, customer number, address & date of birth for privacy.
Vicki

Megs

I’ve already done this and received no help.

Karen

KarenPerth, WA

Total rip off and don’t call back when they say they will

Had a $250 excess but was told it had gone up to $500 unless a letter from dr confirming not a pre existing condition. Got this plus phoned nib & was assured was $250. On day of surgery hosp was advised by nib $500. Had tp pay up. I called next day to sort out plus the next 2 days only to be told they will call back.......ha waiting 3 days so far.
They don’t care.....all this stress when you are having surgery not good or helpful in any way.

Claim DateDecember 2020
Dan

Dan

Crappy Eye Care center and poor claim service.

Attended eye care center and got told by a staff to use Specsaver instead as NIB Eye Care charges many services Specsaver doesn't. Also old equipments and poor ranges of glasses.
Submitted multiple claims but got rejected and they asked for many more supporting documents for a tiny claim amount.
Expensive premium and uncompetitive products.

Liz

Liz

Waste of money

4 years of paying top cover for my children, required 1 specialist appointment and it was declined. Because, NiB appears to have a clause for everything to ensure they dont actually have to pay anything out to anyone. Dishonest, money grabbing thieves.

Coverage TypeChildren Only
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks

Pat

PatSouth East Queensland, QLD

absolutely terrible

NIB is all about profits and not a personal service at all. On attempting to claim for my partners breast surgery (which we are covered for) we keep getting automated email replies saying it has been rejected without any reason or phone call as to why, then we have to call hotline to find out why then start the whole process again we are now going on to the third month of trying to get this claim across the board. as soon as this is done i will be changing private health insurance providers for myself and family. To be paying so much per year for a company that doesn't provide a streamlined service is ridiculous.

Claim DateSeptember 2020
nibnib

Hi Pat, Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry to hear about your claiming experience with us. I have sent you a private message with further details.
Kind regards, Richard

MartinGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Disgraceful NIB - GO ELSEWHERE for insurance (tell everyone you know)

NIB will gladly accept premiums, if you try making a claim they will very efficiently and effectively refuse that claim and then invest a great deal of time and resources to defend their decision.

Claim DateJuly 2020
nibnib

Hi Martin, I am sorry to hear you have had some problems with a claim. I have messaged you directly so I can assist you further with this. Thanks, Kayleigh

Martin

Thanks for yet another ‘standard’ personal acknowledgement. I will respond to your message shortly though expect you will simply trot out the same ‘standard’ reply as several of your colleagues already have.

Martin

And now another message from NIB trying to up sell more insurance.
Disgraceful company purely interested in making a profit.
BE WARNED. Share this review and TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

AG1986

AG1986Sydney, NSW

The worst insurance i have ever had

Claim DateJuly 2020
nibnib

Hello, Thanks for contacting nib.
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent experience with nib.
Just letting you know that I have sent you a Private Message that you can reply to.

Rebecca

Rebecca

Misleading and bad customer service

Customer service was so slow and had no idea the info to give me when i asked. They mislead and make you wait 3 months for the gift card worth 400 dollars

Peter

PeterSouthwest, VIC

Avoid this company

They never pay you claim with the same criteria.
Same doctor, same bill paid, different amount received back!
I Always had to chase them to pay the claim.
Not a good customer service over the phone, they hire people that can not speak English or understand 100% what you saying!
Cheap company, cheap service, they do not pay you more then 25 %of your claim, don’t trust them, hopefully this company will be shut down!
Note for NIB, don’t even try to contact me to discuss this feedback. Hopefully people will choose other company after my feedback.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim DateApril 2020
loss

lossSydney, NSW

Simple surgery

NIB would not give me a decision on a simple operation. When I paid for said operation, The bunch of crooks refused to pay. disgusted, disgusted and you have to write a letter before you can send yor enraged post.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateNovember 2016
nibnib

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your experience with nib. I would like to take this opportunity to look into this for you.
I have sent you a private message regarding your post if you can please reply to.
Kind regards,
Michelle

Rau

RauSydney, NSW

CLAIM

My daughter had to make a hospital claim and NIB, 1st said that she had a pre exisiting condition of Asthma. As I got all the paper work back to them, they changed the pre exisiting condition to a chest infection. Didn’t cover her hospital stay. Expensive, not helpful or understanding. I will be changing health funds & not recommending NIB to anyone.
For anyone looking at getting private health cover NIB is NOT the one to pick. Also reading a few other reviews I can see I made the wrong choice.

Suneil Kulkarni

Suneil KulkarniPerth, WA

Worst Service - AVOID USING THEM

NIB (IMAN) health insurance service has been the worst service. They promised me a refund for which I was entitled to after I got my PR & Citizenship. I had to make several calls to claim this money. They initially promised that they will. However after months they declined the refund. Please don't trust them. I have documented all the conversations

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Barry

BarrySouth East Queensland, QLD

Don't Trust NIB

I changed from mbp on promise of same cover for lower cost.
I now realise they reduced my cover and excluded hearing aids.
The deal was not what it stated and costly in the long run

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateJanuary 2020

Scam Artists

Had my wisdoms teeth removed, on their website there was a 1 year wait period which is what most other providers go with. Upon getting my surgery done they then proceeded to say the policy is actually different to that advertised and is actually a 2 year stand down period. Absolute snake oil salesmen. Stay away from these people!. The worst!

Claim DateNovember 2019

AraumoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Just after your money!

I had been with NIB since 2012 and paid more than $18k up until March this year when I needed surgery running in the $5k mark but they wouldn't pay. Their black and white hard copy policy clearly states that...Hospital treatment, including accomodation as a private patient in a private or public hospital & doctor's bill in hospital....will be covered. But they turned around and said I had to have medicare! Where was that written next to the policy! Meanwhile they don't care, business as usual and just keep taking your money on a monthly basis until you get sick or need surgery but too late!

Claim DateMarch 2019

Hello Araumo,
We endeavour to provide excellent customer service and I'm sorry to hear that this has not occurred.
Could you please inbox us with your customer number, date of birth, home address so we can look into this.
Many thanks, Shane

Customer

Customerasked

Frances
Frances

I have never had a problem give them a call and sort it out that way they are very helpful

Paul

Paul asked

I’m on work Visa, I've been with nib for 4 years. Does NIB cover surgical or liposuction lipoma removal.

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your question Paul, We have sent a response to your inbox.

Please contact our nib International Working & Visitors Cover team (OVHC) to discuss your cover on Phone: 1800 775 204, Email: nibovhc@nib.com.au, webpage: www.nib.com.au/overseas-working-visitors. Our International Businesses teams are available 8:30am to 6pm weekdays (AEST).

Kind Regards, Richard.

Andrea K.

Andrea K.asked

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July this year and underwent a double mastectomy and reconstruction through the private system  as we had health insurance through your fund and were of the understanding that we were covered for this.   That was until we tried to make a claim. Did you not only decline this claim for the surgery you also declined the hospital stay.
This has put additional stress on my family and myself for which we do not and did not need. Thanks to you we have been left out of pocket by $30 000.  We always knew there would be out of pocket expenses but for your company to simply decline everything is just callous and wrong. We always paid our premiums on time and you did not seem to have a problem taking our money for that, but once we tried to claim fo something that was life saving we come up against a big red stop sign from you.
You have left us broken and struggling when we were once just a normal family living a good life. This year has already been tough enough due to COVID19.
Let me tell you about myself, I was 49, no direct family history of breast cancer, i have 2 teenage children and a husband who would do anything for our family.  This diagnosis turned myself and my family upside down.
I have been staying behind the scenes while my husband has been trying to get you to reconsider your decision but the time has come that I can no longer keep silent about this as it is tearing us apart. I am also embarrassed to be put in this situation.
A company such as yours who made a huge profit this financial year and sprout that health insurance should be easy to claim and good value really need to reconsider this statement because there has been nothing easy about this.
I just hope that there are not other people out (your members) there that are facing the same situation as us.
I would welcome you to contact me but I doubt that will happen and I know this post will probably be deleted.  I feel people need to know how you treat your members while your CEO pays himself a nice tidy bonus while we are left struggling to now make ends meet.
All we ask for is a fair go, not too much to ask for .

See all NIB Health Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and nib representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance