NIB Health Insurance

• 1-2 months (1)
    • 3+ months (6)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (14) · No

Unbelievable Out-of-Pocket Expenses

We've been with NIB for nearly 15 years. My husband had a simple umbilical hernia surgery last month and NIB only paid $105 for the surgeon fee of $1075 and only paid $52 of the anaesthetist fee of $1100. Yet every year we pay NIB over $4000 in insurance premiums. Like the other reviews on this forum the surgeon told us NIB doesn't pay them near as much as the other insurance companies and that is why he doesn't participate in the NIB MediGap. We are very disappointed and will be changing Insurance companies this month.

Claim DateMarch 2021
MGH
MGH

Diane

DianeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Oxygen theifs

Provided proof that a condition was NOT pre-existing and they denied. The worst service ever. They make up rules and have a couldn't care less attitude. Waited over 3 months to get reimbursement for my sons knee surgery and of the $1200 fee I got $189. I also made a complaint with the ombudsman and NIB gave me 2 free weeks- because it was cheaper than actually paying the claim on time. NIB are cold, uncaring and only interested in taking your money. Do not insure with NIB.

Claim DateNovember 2020
User Power

User PowerSydney, NSW

Worst Experience with Health Insurance

I had some worse experiences with other health insurance but this is the worst.
I did not get GP visits for my parent's claim paid fully, even though I do not pay anything when I use my medicare. Medical center does bulk billing. I paid premium for GP Visits included.
Insurance got terminated because they do not provide it if visitor stays more than 1 year even in current pandemic situation.

Claim DateAugust 2020

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Sorry to hear that our international cover did not meet your needs at this time and I hope that we can have a better experience in the future. Kind regards Vicki

Health Insurance

Find out how NIB Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Adam W.

Keep jacking up premiums and you get nothing back.

They have just increased my premium, and I ran out of chiropractic cover so now out of pocket with that. These guys are a profits driven insurance company with no care for their customers. Thought I had a heart issue and needed a stent, also not covered and had to pay more for extra cover.

Hi Adam,
I am sorry to hear about your experience with nib and can understand that this is disappointing. I have sent you a private message with further details regarding this.

Adam W.

That's funny Michelle, no private message was received. You guys only want to show the appearance that you care. You have terrible reviews, don't know how you guys can sleep at nights working for a company like nib.

Hi Adam,
I am sorry that you did not receive my private message. I have attempted to send you a new message with some more details.

PEK

PEKOak Flats

Bad customer service

I changed after 34 years from AHM to Qantas Health, which is NIB. Their customer service after signing up is non existent. I wait for a $12 refund for cancelled travel insurance since March. So before experiencing problems with their health insurance, I will leave them immediately

Under 30Yes
Claim DateMarch 2020

NickSouth East Queensland, QLD

Horrible experience. They will hold your policy as a hostage.

Claim DateDecember 2019

Sam

SamPerth, WA

Nib health care

Claim DateMarch 2020

Hi Sam,
I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with nib. We would certainly like the opportunity to discuss this with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this.

CJ

CJVictoria, 3809

Should give minus - Bad customer service

Claim DateOctober 2019
vrxbeachboy

vrxbeachboy

Horrible Service

It has been 6 months trying to claim back a private hospital admission cost of $1600 that I had to pay for. They keep finding fault with every little thing in the process and keep telling me I have not sent the correct forms that I have sent them several times. I think their claims services are based in the philippines and they act like robots and are unable to think outside the box and satisfy NIB's customers. Once I get my funds claim I will be searching for a different health insurer.

Claim DateAugust 2019
Health Insurance

Find out how NIB Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

Corneal Transplant

Do not go with NIB for Corneal Transplant they are the worst for out of pocket expenses. A little cheaper to join but you pay up at bill time. Check with other providers before choosing what sounds the cheaper option.

Claim DateSeptember 2019
Edward B.

Edward B.South East Queensland, QLD

Horrific claims process

Had a hospital admission claim declined because I didn’t think I actually broke my foot. They declined it without asking any further information. Could not get through to anyone to answer and say why. Eventually told someone would call me back in 24hrs. 72hrs I received an email with no clarity. Had to lodge a complaint with the Health Insurance Ombudsman. The approved the claim within 2hrs of the complaint lodgement.

Plan CoverageHospital Only
Claim DateApril 2019
nibnib

Hello Edward, We endeavor to provide excellent customer service and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t occurred on your recent contact with us.
We have sent you a private message in regards to this.
Kinds regards, Kylie

Dodgy policies

Never ever again I will get any insurance with this company.
They understimate their clients!

I have bought an international student health cover (oshc) and for some reason my visa was refused then at the moment of applying for a refund they have made all super difficult also taking me as an ignorant, they tried to convince me that I still need the insurance but I know is not true, they have done all possible to not to refund, telling me fake legal requirements and things like that.
I am serious person and my case or customer number is 43021295

nibnib

Thank you for your feedback, we have sent you a private message in regards to your enquiry.

lightnindan

lightnindanPerth, WA

Misleading information.

Claim DateMay 2019

Hi
We're sorry to hear about your experience with nib. We'd appreciate the time to discuss your policy further. If you would like to chat, please contact us on 13 16 42.

Shelley

Shelley

Rip off

Paid $920 for a surgery plus the $500 excess. Received only $92 back on my claim despite having top tier cover. It would of been $408 cheaper to not have insurance.

Initially when I called NIB concerned I had not received any benefit they informed me I would get a call when my claim was processed. I didn’t receive any communication.

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim DateFebruary 2019

Customer

Customerasked

Frances
Frances

I have never had a problem give them a call and sort it out that way they are very helpful

Paul

Paul asked

I’m on work Visa, I've been with nib for 4 years. Does NIB cover surgical or liposuction lipoma removal.

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your question Paul, We have sent a response to your inbox.

Please contact our nib International Working & Visitors Cover team (OVHC) to discuss your cover on Phone: 1800 775 204, Email: nibovhc@nib.com.au, webpage: www.nib.com.au/overseas-working-visitors. Our International Businesses teams are available 8:30am to 6pm weekdays (AEST).

Kind Regards, Richard.

Andrea K.

Andrea K.asked

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July this year and underwent a double mastectomy and reconstruction through the private system  as we had health insurance through your fund and were of the understanding that we were covered for this.   That was until we tried to make a claim. Did you not only decline this claim for the surgery you also declined the hospital stay.
This has put additional stress on my family and myself for which we do not and did not need. Thanks to you we have been left out of pocket by $30 000.  We always knew there would be out of pocket expenses but for your company to simply decline everything is just callous and wrong. We always paid our premiums on time and you did not seem to have a problem taking our money for that, but once we tried to claim fo something that was life saving we come up against a big red stop sign from you.
You have left us broken and struggling when we were once just a normal family living a good life. This year has already been tough enough due to COVID19.
Let me tell you about myself, I was 49, no direct family history of breast cancer, i have 2 teenage children and a husband who would do anything for our family.  This diagnosis turned myself and my family upside down.
I have been staying behind the scenes while my husband has been trying to get you to reconsider your decision but the time has come that I can no longer keep silent about this as it is tearing us apart. I am also embarrassed to be put in this situation.
A company such as yours who made a huge profit this financial year and sprout that health insurance should be easy to claim and good value really need to reconsider this statement because there has been nothing easy about this.
I just hope that there are not other people out (your members) there that are facing the same situation as us.
I would welcome you to contact me but I doubt that will happen and I know this post will probably be deleted.  I feel people need to know how you treat your members while your CEO pays himself a nice tidy bonus while we are left struggling to now make ends meet.
All we ask for is a fair go, not too much to ask for .

See all NIB Health Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and nib representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance