NIB Health Insurance

NIB Health Insurance

• Claim Resolution Time
    • 2-4 weeks (1)
    • 1-2 months (2)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (2) · No (1)
Rob S.

Rob S.Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Very slow response to phone calls.

I am sick of hearing the "we are experiencing a higher than usual number of calls" message, whenever I ring NIB, and being on hold regularly before someone answers my call.

CustomerSydney, NSW

Took time but finally the claim was approved

I made a claim for hospital and was a drama, after long time a discussions the case manager resolved but initially was declined due they said is not covered. Note, I call them before go and they said go ahead. Very hard to contact the claim department and long time to resolve hospital claims

GekiGold Coast

Stop the nuisance calls

NIB we have just signed up with you people after a serious failure in customer service with BUPA. We would like you to stop the nuisance calls from 07 30738900 to our number as we are called three times a day. We hope that we have a positive relationship with NIB as an insurer. We were with NIB for many years originally. These calls are driving us crazy and upon doing a reverse phone look up with have found that they are indeed a nuisance call originating from NIB and that many people are sick of them. Whilst we have blocked them we are tired of the ongoing text messages saying that they have attempted to call us. Please remove us from your call register. Many thanks.

Geki

Thanks Ebony. I have sent those details. I do appreciate that you have responded so promptly.

Health Insurance

Find out how NIB Health Insurance compares to other Health Insurance

jojo

jojoHobart, TAS

Out of pocket

I am heading into hospital only to get call telling me that Nib only pays $220 and other funds pay $440 on the anaesthetic fee. Plus also play less on other product . Which u don't know till u have to uses it. Out pocket myself over $400 not counting $1500 for the doctor. And that not counting $500 excess which I had just paid for something that didn't fix my problem . I am silver plus No wonder people leaving health insurance.

nibnib

Switched to a not for profit health care fund

I just switched to Westfund (not for profit) today after being with NIB for 5 years. I have no complaints with the service that I received from NIB, which worked well for me. However, I am disgusted with the opinions coming from NIB senior management at the moment, especially the ignorant comments on Americanising our more fair and equitable public health system. 1 year ago, NIB announced a net profit of $133.5 million for the 2018 financial year – an 11.1 per cent increase from the previous year. Their premiums have risen substantially on an annual basis for the past 5 years. They are not passing along their profits as savings to their customers. They definitely are not struggling with the current community rating system....

True Reviewer

True ReviewerNew South Wales

Did not initially honour some costs relating to C-Section delivery.

Claim MadeYes

Koko

KokoAdelaide

The devil is in the detail...

Being extremely dissatisfied with my previous health insurance, I changed to NIB a few years ago. Generally, it has worked as expected without too many unpleasant surprises. However, as with other providers it is equally frustrating with NIB that their premiums increase but inclusions and cover values decrease or disappear altogether - a clear and negative pattern since I have been a customer.

Insurance claim madeYes

kinkersMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Acceptable (probably should read 3.5 stars)

Considering the data collected/ claims paid, I would be happy to have a list of preferred/recommended service providers in closer locations (nearby suburbs, South Australia). No NIB Care Centres are available in South Australia.
In this case it was on-the-spot online claim settlement, however, on some other occasion/s of claims it appears to be contact service provider first and check NIB next to get details!?!

Insurance claim madeYes
nib health funds h.nib
Phone freak

Phone freakYankalilla

Customer service needs upgrading

Recently changed over from Medibank Private to NAB when I was promised that they would send me full updated details of our health insurance via e-mail.
This was not done!
Consequent phone call resolved the issue but it must be said that some staff members working at NAB need to up their game.

Insurance claim madeNo

Extras Cover

Insurance claim madeNo
Derek12

Derek12New South Wales

Never can speak to someone when i call

call NIB and always lines are busy. Recorded message states "We are currently experiencing a high number of calls. How about we keep a place for you and call you back when you reach the front of the queue." - This is standard operating procedure. They are never on the phones. Other services ok.

Never on the phones

Not bad for what it is...

I am happy with what I pay, and I like that I can claim on some great extras. I was not happy with the customer service offered to someone who has been their customer for the last 4 years.
Good extras when you pay for it, relatively inexpensive, great app for claiming.
Bad service. The staff at NIB struggle with customer service, and getting a person on the phone who has the power to make decisions is difficult.

shellfreak

shellfreak

OK

I reluctantly gave up my NIB insurance when I moved to Western Australia because they just were not suitable here. But previously I found them competitively priced, really easy and good to deal with, and would recommend them over most other health insurers in the eastern states.
Competitive premiums and one of the cheapest products if you just want to qualify so you do not pay the Medicare surcharge. Really good customer service, probably the best I have encountered among health insurers..
Probably only good if you live in NSW, Queensland or Victoria. I found that when moving to Western Australia that they were not really that competitive.

gisellen

gisellenNSW, 2228

OK

Customerasked

Frances
Frances

I have never had a problem give them a call and sort it out that way they are very helpful

Paul

Paul asked

I’m on work Visa, I've been with nib for 4 years. Does NIB cover surgical or liposuction lipoma removal.

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your question Paul, We have sent a response to your inbox.

Please contact our nib International Working & Visitors Cover team (OVHC) to discuss your cover on Phone: 1800 775 204, Email: nibovhc@nib.com.au, webpage: www.nib.com.au/overseas-working-visitors. Our International Businesses teams are available 8:30am to 6pm weekdays (AEST).

Kind Regards, Richard.

Andrea K.

Andrea K.asked

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July this year and underwent a double mastectomy and reconstruction through the private system  as we had health insurance through your fund and were of the understanding that we were covered for this.   That was until we tried to make a claim. Did you not only decline this claim for the surgery you also declined the hospital stay.
This has put additional stress on my family and myself for which we do not and did not need. Thanks to you we have been left out of pocket by $30 000.  We always knew there would be out of pocket expenses but for your company to simply decline everything is just callous and wrong. We always paid our premiums on time and you did not seem to have a problem taking our money for that, but once we tried to claim fo something that was life saving we come up against a big red stop sign from you.
You have left us broken and struggling when we were once just a normal family living a good life. This year has already been tough enough due to COVID19.
Let me tell you about myself, I was 49, no direct family history of breast cancer, i have 2 teenage children and a husband who would do anything for our family.  This diagnosis turned myself and my family upside down.
I have been staying behind the scenes while my husband has been trying to get you to reconsider your decision but the time has come that I can no longer keep silent about this as it is tearing us apart. I am also embarrassed to be put in this situation.
A company such as yours who made a huge profit this financial year and sprout that health insurance should be easy to claim and good value really need to reconsider this statement because there has been nothing easy about this.
I just hope that there are not other people out (your members) there that are facing the same situation as us.
I would welcome you to contact me but I doubt that will happen and I know this post will probably be deleted.  I feel people need to know how you treat your members while your CEO pays himself a nice tidy bonus while we are left struggling to now make ends meet.
All we ask for is a fair go, not too much to ask for .

See all NIB Health Insurance questions

Get an answer from our members and nib representatives

CategoryHealth Insurance