MPNs: 1503, VBA350AE, VBA350K004 and VBA350K005

See the Best DSLR Cameras in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

First DSLR & Love it!

I use it almost every day and love it. I'm slowly buying more and more accessories for it as they are no longer needed for the newer cameras, so I want to get them before they are discontinued. But I love it so I can't wait. It takes pretty good photos that I take for so many different things so its a great camera.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Best camera I have used,

I owned a 5 yr.old Nikon D 5000 which I used extensively for most forms of photography. This year I replaced it with a D 5200. We spent 2 months in Europe and United Kingdom on our grand tour, also to attend our sons wedding in Wales, taking thousands of photos with great success. Most were taken using Nikon lenses 28-55 VR or 28-200 VR. I am more than just satisfied with the colour rendition and with the sharpness of these pictures. When down loaded on to my laptop,I can zoom in really close and read small print, that was some distance away, quite easily. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this camera to any serious photographer who requires a quality end product. This camera meets all my requirements and then some.

Excellent little DSLR camers

The DSLR Nikon D5200 is an great little camera. I have been using it for all sorts of outdoor and indoor activities. The auto modes are great for the new DSLR user, the manual modes are excellent for those who want to learn to take more control in special situations. I use the camera with a Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 telephoto lens for just about everything. If you want an inexpensive camera that is a step up from the basic SLR then you will want a Nikon D5200.

The quality and functionality you expect from a Nikon

This camera is light and highly functional. It took less time than expected to learn the main functions and they are all there under your fingertips. The three short cut keys to alter shutter speed, aperture and ISO by rotating the command dial are fantastic. Live view and fold out and rotate rear LCD screen is fantastic. All other settings provide all the creative control you would require and when in a hurry the auto settings make shooting a snap. I have also used this camera on a tripod to shoot the landscape and night sky. It had all the higher ISO settings and lift out monitor to manage taking photos of the stars.
The biggest question is what lens to pair it with. I was advised against the standard zoom lens that is often used and opted for a 35mm fixed AF-S Nikkor DX.
Light and intuitive with nikon build quality and full creative functionality
No limitations experienced after one month of use.

Nikon has come up trumps

The D5200 has to be the best entry level DSLR on the market. The camera is easy to use and takes great pics. I have been using a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens and the landscapes are perfect. It has all the effects and scenes a camera needs. This camera will do me for a quite a few years. Video is excellent and with the View NX 2 program it makes very good movies.
Ease of use, lightness.
Time lapse hard to use

Easily the best camera I have bought

I bought the D5200 as a gift for my partner but ended up using it more then her. I use Digital SLRs cameras everyday at work - mainly Nikon D300s but this little beauty can do all that the big one can do and more. It is the perfect high end entry D/SLR. The images are crisp and so easy to shoot. The built in scenario settings are great to play with and with it being so light it is easy to tote around. As well as fairly standard 18 - 55mm lens I have a 55 - 300mm Nikkor VR lens and it is a perfect match. Obviously there was some early on trying to find out what was where but once I figured it all out it was nothing but a pleasure to shoot with. The lenses mount with a solid locking click, the hand grip is a good size and the flip screen is a gem. I compared the 5200 to a Canon EOS 70D (twice the price) which a friend had just purchased and the Nikon outgunned it in every department. The only feature the Canon had which the 5200 didn't was a touch screen...apart from that the 5200 did everything it's more expensive cousin did.
I love it.
Features, size/weight, price
Not really a con but a touch screen would be nice...but messy if using "live view"

excellent pics

bought this camera about a month ago, after buying the om-d earlier this year, but found the pics not to the standard of my Nikon d3100 I have, so I purchased this, and the 24mp pics allow much better cropping, like of birds flying as the pic is so much larger. flip screen is great, easy to change settings.
Still have a lot to learn, as i'm an amateur, but this is excellent
everything, a bit expensive