10Nissan Qashqai J11

Nissan Qashqai J11 (2014-2021) Questions & Answers

Prisparis
Prisparis · J11 ST CVT (2014-2021)

Hi I have a Nissan QASHQAI 2015 auto
Im in Melbourne Australia
I'm just wondering if anybody else has had issues with their CTV transmission? And what did Nissan do about it?
When I initially bought in the car into Nissan there was no problem other than the red engine light appearing. Apparently after 14 diagnostics and $500 later.
Once returned the car engine was loud. It was shaking & juddering when accelerating.
I rang Nissan 10 minutes after leaving the center and they assured me that Nissan would fix it.
The car would losses power once over 70 / 80 KMs or the car bunny hopping.
At the low mileage & at 8 years old this is not okay!
It hasn't been abused & has been serviced according & logged. In my care independent mechanics never touched the CTV!
They gave me back the car and sent me on my way.. Nissan denied any fault or paying for the fault.
I'm appalled! months later still awaiting head office contact me.. I'm a single mum with 2 boys.. without a car
Has this happened to anyone else ??

Sue
Sue · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

I have just purchased a 2019 Qashqai J11 with approx 89,000k on the clock. My question is regarding a slight surge, almost like a rocking motion, when travelling between 80 & 90k/h. Should I get this checked?

Alan L.
Alan L.

I have this problem in my 2017 QQ 2L since 20k km.
I just ignore it. Now I am at 65k km.

Ok thanks

Denny J.
Denny J. · J11 ST CVT (2014-2021)

Do all Nissan will have CVT issues at one point ??at the moment my qashqai runs good but don't know whether it's time for a transmission fluid change. I read many articles about it.

Andrew
Andrew

Hi Denny, as you have probably seen, there are a lot of customer complaints regarding JATCO CVT transmissions as used in Nissan and other manufacturers vehicles. I have provided below my own experiences with Nissan CVT's fitted to a B17 Pulsar and a J11 Qashqai.

I purchased for my wife a new Nissan Pulsar in 2013 fitted with a push belt CVT gearbox. The gearbox developed a rattle at 20,000 kilometres. Nissan Lakeside replaced the gearbox under warranty and the vehicle has now done in excess of 90,000 kilometres with no further problem and the CVT is very quiet. The CVT's fitted to Pulsars have a 2 speed planetary gear set to increase the CVT ratio spread which enables the torque converter clutch to lock up at 15-25 Kph to improve efficiency. When driving it is noticed the planetary gears change ratio at 50-60 Kph. I believe the same model of CVT is used in some petrol versions of the J11 Qashqai's.
My J11 Qashqai was purchased new in 2017 and is the diesel 1.6 DCI version so has a pull chain belt CVT without the 2 speed planetary gear set to handle the higher torque of the diesel engine. The torque converter locks up at 30-50 Kph. When new the CVT in my Qashqai made all kinds of horrible noises at low speed and never felt right in regard to torque converter clutch lock up but these noises have over time reduced and now at 125000 kilometres is reasonably quiet and torque converter clutch lock up is working better.
I permanently disabled the stop/start by loosening the retaining bolt on the bonnet switch, rotated the switch side ways and re-tightened the bolt. A side benefit is the battery always stays fully charged at 14.6 volts.

Apart from tyre and battery replacement and one indicator globe no other repairs have been done to either vehicle. Both vehicles have 10,000 kilometre services done by Lakeside Nissan. They use NISSAN consult to check the CVT fluid. I recently visually checked the CVT fluid on the Qashqai by removing the plug on the filler tube (a bastard to get off) near the battery and inserting a 1 metre length of 3 mm ID clear plastic tube down into the fluid pan, pinched off the tube end and withdrew to collect 350 cubic mm of fluid to inspect. The colour was a darkish green and when dripped onto tissue paper left no visible staining so the fluid appears still to be good.

I do think regular replacement of the CVT fluid will help extend the life of the transmission so I will in the near future replace the fluid in my Qashqai, and providing the exact same quantity is put back in as drained there should be no problem. I will pump out from the top filler tube and refill there instead of crawling under the CVT.

We only ever drive our vehicles on bitumen roads not dirt roads or through water. There is a rubber vent tube on top of the CVT so it is essential to keep the bottom splash guard in place and avoid dirt and /or flooded roads.

Both the Pulsar and the Qashqai have external transmission coolers fitted as standard in the factory which wasn't standard fitment on North American Nissan vehicles . I have read where Nissan Australia are replacing without charge failed CVT's on even second hand purchased vehicles. I believe one of the main issues with early Nissan CVT's was failure of the oil pump pressure regulating valve and from April 2016 I believe a re-designed variable displacement oil pump was used in CVT production.

I suspect a lot of CVT failures are the result of improper servicing such as using regular ATF fluid instead of the Nissan specified CVT fluid.

UPDATE ON QASHQAI. The weird transmission noise at low speed when the torque converter clutch was locking up returned at @ 130,000 kilometres.

I drained out 4.5 litres of the CVT fluid, it was quite dark. I removed the transmission pan and cleaned out the accumulated sludge in the pan and on the magnets. When I removed the pump inlet filter I found the @ 20mm diameter O-ring seal on the inlet pipe from the filter and going into the pump had folded over when originally fitted in the factory and this allowed some air to be sucked into the pump.

Now since replacing the damaged O-ring, adding 4.5 litres of fresh Nissan CVT fluid and replacing the external filter, the transmission is very quiet and torque converter lock up is quicker.

The original front brake pads will shortly require replacement so am looking at fitting DBA pads and rotors to minimize brake dust accumulation on the wheels.

It appears that other vehicle manufacturers using JATCO CVT's recommend fluid changes at 30,000 to 50,000 kilometres.

Denny J.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Andrew.

Pankaj K.
Pankaj K. · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

2017 nissan qashqai j 11 model has keep line change assist features as well blind spot and parking assist ( self automatic parking) 360 degree camera ?

Kevin S.
Kevin S. · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

I have a right hand drive 2014 nissan qashqai 1.5dci j11. I can't locate the heater motor which I need to replace. Could anyone please tell me where it is located?

Dee B.
Dee B.

You need to remove instrument assembly https://www.zinref.ru/avtomobili/Nissan/004_10_00_Nissan_QASHQAI_J11_Manual_ENGLISH/1043.htm

jacqualine v.
jacqualine v. · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

Hi got a 2021 Nissan qasqai the engen light keeps going on when cold and car goes in limb mode Nissan tested it says it is the petrol regulator sensor got it replaced but still have the same problem

Samrat C.
Samrat C. · J11 Ti (2014-2021)

I have a Qashqai J11 Ti. Will there be any change in car's performance if I put 98 octane petrol instead of 91?

Jacob

I have only filled up with 98 since I bought the car 12 months ago, haven't had an issue.

christine_ann
christine_ann · J11 ST-L (2014-2021)

I bought a 2020 to model last year. My fuel consumption is very high ( and I don't drive like a lunatic). I do drive mostly around town, and I'm getting 12l/100km!! I just filled the large 65 litre tank, and the car display is showing only 535km to go. Im getting less fuel mileage than my husbands larger Mazda cx5. Is this normal or something wrong with my car?

Jacob

Very dependent on the fuel you use, and if you drive on open road or city.
If you fill up with E10 it burns very quick and your consumption will be terrible.
If you stop and start on short drives, very ordinary consumption.

Danny C
Danny C · J11 ST CVT (2014-2021)

Mt radiator fan and or motor are making a rattly noise and I believe need to be replaced. Can this be done without replacing the whole shroud and unit containing the fan and motor? What is the average cost?

gabrielmoreno30
gabrielmoreno30

Hello.
My 2017 nissan rogue sport also had this problem, I had to replace the whole fan. Cost really varies on alot of factors, I spent around 300 $ with the fan and labor. Hope that helped

biggles
biggles · J11 TL (2014-2017)

How do you find the "ON" button when the car wants to wants to "update the fuel economy?"

Md910
Md910

Press "ok"

Vittorio P.
Vittorio P. · J11 Ti CVT (2014-2021)

What is the difference between the CVT Ti 2021 model and the Ti ?

asmit61
asmit61

Im quite certain that in Australia all Qashqais that are automatic have the same CVT transmission, power and torque across all specs.

Di Aitchison
Di Aitchison · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

I have a 5 year old Qashqi with ongoing aircon problems. I have asked to have it solved 4 to 5 times but because it is a "rare" incidence ie Mostly ok, but occasionally starts to blow coolish air..but no cold air. It can then just start working again. I am almost out of my extended warranty at the end of this month, so I'm getting desperate as I am a pensioner. It is in for 2 days at present and they say they will try to drive it around to see if it happens again. That is a long shot with no guarantees it will happen when they have it. At one stage they wondered if it might be associated with the battery, so I bought a new one..and the aircon was working for months after I'd replaced it. However it has happened again. I get their frustration..but it's nothing compared to mine. Alex

alan

typical nissan air conditioners they all had problems, qashqai & xtrails have the same units Nissan knows about it they pretend they dont know. so they dont have to repair them Leaking seals, faulty compressors pipes freezing up are some of the issues

Di Aitchison

Thankyou Alan...time will tell.

TRISHA
TRISHA

Hi I am very interested. Did you ever resolve the problem with your car. My car is 18 months old. I have bought it 2nd hand from a main Nissan dealer. Ongoing air conditioner-related issues. Currently the fan is very loud, they have replaced the fan but the issue remains. I feel like I’m being fobbed off, it’s very upsetting.

Kevin M

I have the same problem with my Qashqai, I just got it serviced for 100,000kM two months ago and only running 1000km since last service. The air start heating when the car stop and I went to Lander Nissan for diagnostic and told the fan and to replace I have to chip $1700.
Today I went to Repco and the guy working there he's ex Nissan Service and told me this is very common problem with Qashqai and he replaced many and Nissan knew about. They should recall, that's wrong and illegal.

Brad
Brad · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

I have a 2017 qushqai and it has 60,000km when you turn on the aircon the fan has a big tapping noise. All fin are on the fan!! Any help will be good

Amit
Amit

Sounds like when it started in my NQ diesel. At Nissan, they dismissed our complaint. Independent mechanic reveals fan is dead and engine is overheating on turning on AC. . Paying $ 275 fan + 140 fitting cost. Car is out of warranty after 3 years :(

alan

all quashqai had the exact same problem, nissan pretends they dont know of any issues with the fans

Brad

And they want $1500 for a new one. Got one after market luckily. It’s been a great little car other then that. But after them wanting that much for a fan I don’t want to take the risk something major might break. No more Nissan’s for me unfortunately

Kevin M

Same with me Brad, I serviced my NQ with Lander Nissan since day one. I think should be class action against Nissan. From where you got your after market fan and how much?

Brad

I forget how much it was now. But it wasn’t cheap as it was so hard to find and we needed the car ASAP.

Donna C.
Donna C. · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

Hi there. I have 2015 Qashqai TI bought Jan 2016. Only done mainly urban driving on Gold Coast and RACQ told me i need a new fan that made a vibration clacking sound when aircon on.
Now i don’t know if better to trade for Subaru Forrester or Rav4 Hybrid as new fan costs under $300 to buy but over $1800 to install, then only has 12mth Warranty. Was told it’s a manufacturing problem so Nissan should recall the damn things and fix it!!
I found Nissan so unhelpful and unwilling to accept responsibility in clearly a fault that was in the car.
Only done the $13k what do you think? i’m not wealthy to keep forking out parts. Would i be better off in a Hybrid for economy and reliability? Can anyone suggest which are best but around Qasqai price?
Also what should i accept as Trade In? It’s got all the bells & whistles of TI model.
I’m upset as love the car but not the fact parts are from China or Mexican and i thought was British assembled but lol Chinese parts? Wtf??
Beautiful car inside but sadly i can’t trust it if will develop probs and yes the warranty is now finished...
Please reply as only got till 20th to decide.

pete smith
pete smith

How does the RACQ know its the fan making the noise Nissan Qashqai and

xtrails had a big problem with air cond units leaking seals & noisy compressors vibrating both easy fixed who told you it was $1800 to install a new fan Get another quote but NOT from Nissan they havent got a clue. Dont trade the car take it a local auto electrician or some one who does car air conditioning and get another quote Nissan will tell you anything just to make money

Donna C.

Thankyou so much. I am taking it on Friday who wants to check it’s the fan. Nissan ( omg- lol) quoted $1840 so no way. The mechanic i found said if it’s that then $800 part and labour tho at least he said he wants to make sure as might be something cheaper... I hope only something small. Gorgeous car but i’m unsure to trade for Mazda CX-5 2021 model...... if the Qashqai doesn’t have any major expensive “ problems” then i’d like to keep it.... Tho CVT makes me wonder...

ben dover
ben dover

. Get the mechanic to check the air conditioner compressor there was a lot of problems with Nissan air con units this is where the problem could be....keep the Qashqai 100% better then Mazdas, you think you have problems now Mazdas are worse. As for the CVT there is a lot of rumors about nissan CVT they only fail because they arnt serviced properly Get the transmission serviced new filters oil etc every 20,000kms & you shouldnt have any problems. DO NOT TAKE IT TO NISSAN FOR SERVICING they never do it properly mark it off in the log book that its been done & charge for it.

andrew
andrew

Quasqui are basically xtrails with Quashqi badges, same running gear same motors same transmission same shape as an xtrail unfortunatly they inherited the Xtrail air con units. Xtrails made the exact same noise as you describe its actually a fault in the air conditioner compressor Not the fan. I got mine fixed cost under $500 You need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing otherwise they just guess & tell you the wrong thing & fix things that dont need fixing. You think Nissan is hard to deal with buy a Mazda or toyota & try dealing with either of them 1000 times worse

Gee
Gee · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

Hi guys, has anyone else had any of the following issues with their qashqai 2015 diesel?
- 4 battery replacements
- automatic transmission replaced
- fan belt x 2 replacements
- intercooler
- turbo
- egr valve
- inner console illuminating lights blown
- problems with moonroof
All replaced things listed have been placed (egr valve pending). Oh and check your mud flap front drivers side and fell me it’s still in tact and the bolts haven’t come undone from that guard? Because mine has and I’ve seen 2 other qashqai driving around with the same issue.
Vehicle is regularly serviced as I do a lot of driving.

Anteneh
Anteneh · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

Would you please contact me online seller for Nissan Quashqai j11 2017 model Transmission control unit?

Manmeet R
Manmeet R · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

I am looking to buy Nissan qashqai 2019/2020 models. I might do some rideshare for sometime casually on this car. Any problems with this car ? Would these Nissan car last longer?

Peter
Peter

I haven't had any problems with mine and I think since Nissan has upgraded to the apple car play app you'll have an even better driving experience

Jan Ghamraoui
Jan Ghamraoui · J11 ST (2014-2021)

Are there any problems with the 2017 model I should look out for

Gift
Gift · J11 N-Sport (2017)

Is 2014 and 2018 suspension the same?

Ronak P.
Ronak P. · Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)

Hi
Is anyone facing Nissan QASHQAI have radiator fan shroud problem.
My car fan making noise and when I checked with mechanic, he said there is a play in radiator fan and it's making noise while on full speed.
He also mentioned it's a common issue and it will cost around $1700 to install with only one year warranty.
I am not sure what to do.

Vinni C.
Vinni C.

Hi Ronak, I have a 2015 build nissan qashqai purchased in March 2016 with only 53K on the clock 6 months out of warrenty and my cooling fan has broken...will cost me $2004 to replace and install with only one year warranty ..we tried to get second hand part through the car wreckers literally impossible to find as its apparently a common problem with nissan qashqai's have also read on the internet that they have recalled 2018 models in the UK due to this problem with cooling fan

Mary2884
Mary2884

Same issue. Same year model. Radiator fan died 6 moths out of warranty :(

Ronak P.

Hi Mary, I don't think Nissan is going to help on this one after warranty expire. i tried my best no result, may be you try and will be the lucky one. I end up spending $2300 in total for the part and labour. I went to Nissan services to get that installed as it required whole front panel to be uninstalled and then replace the part not like other car where mechanic just unscrew the shroud and replace with another one. I have Nissan TI and i don't want to take risk on sensors and front camera not working after we left or after couple of month. At-least after spending that much money on repair we need assurance and peace on mind.

Donna C.

Stay away from Nissan rip offs as they quoted me $1800 and independent auto electrician quoted $800.....
Run from car dealerships

Get an answer from our members and Nissan representatives

Select a listing for your question
Nissan Qashqai J11 (2014-2021)