Novalac Allergy

Novalac Allergy Questions & Answers

30 questions from our users

Jane Aasked

My son has been out on novalac allergy for cmp allergy. What bottles and teat size do you recommend? If we use a size 2 teat he guzzles it’s and spews it back up but he doesn’t get much out of a level 1 teat abc gets very frustrated. We are using dr brown bottles.

Rhiannon M.

I used to have the exact same problem until I switched to tomme tippee colic teats, if the lowest level is too small, go up 1. They’re at chemist warehouse, bit annoying to clean becos there’s parts to the bottle but better than cleaning vomit after every bottle and not knowing how much they’ve actually gotten in to their tummy’s. My son is in novalac allergy and had cmp intolerance

Jane A

Thanks, I will have a look for those teats.

Ashley J.

Ashley J.asked

My son is 3 weeks old and has constant diohrea after every feed. He is projectile vomiting and has really bad wind. We have tried normal formular and then changed novalac allergy and still no change after half a tin his still screaming in pain and is really fussy feeding on it. Any suggestions

Rhiannon M.

Try novalac diarrhoea, novalac is a really good brand, it helped my baby go from sleeping 2 hours to sleeping 5-6 at night. The allergy one has caused my son bad constipation but for the first 3 months it was a life saver.

Lei

Leiasked

My son’s poo are more smelly, green, watery and he poos almost every feed... is that normal?

Jenna D.

Jenna D.asked

My baby is much more content since being on it, however I think it has caused her eczema to break out a bit more. She is also spitting up more clear liquid has anyone else noticed this?
She's been on it for 4 days.

Mjc
Mjc

Hello it is been one day i used it she is spitting up clear liquid too ! But seems to be better . Doctor told me to thicken it with gavicon to prevent spitting up but it is written on gaviscon not to use it with already thickened milk

Sar

Sarasked

My son has been on novalac allergy for 6 weeks and has been having green karki colour poos. We have stopped solids this week so we can try and figure out if it's a reaction as it started as soon as we stopped bf and introduced formula? He seems okay during the day but gassy at night.

Melissa D.asked

I changed my daughter to this because of milk allergy and after 3 days she has way more mucus and is having watery stools is this normal ? She poos almost every feed and it's mucusey I thought this would help her with mucusey stools ?

Melissa D.asked

Is novolac allergy completely dairy free ?

Yes, it's rice milk

Melissa D.

Do you know off it contains gluten ?

Michael M.

Michael M.asked

Have been having problems with this formula curdling when making up a bottle. Have been following the instructions but it keeps happening. Has anyone else had this problem? What could be the course of this?

Rob a

Not sure if curdling but we’re certainly also seeing it not fully mix. Some people are saying to try hotter water than instructed in the tin. I’m yet to try but I’ll be only stepping up the temp gradually so I don’t waste this powdered gold. Hope an answer comes through for you.

Natasha P.
Natasha P.

Yes, this is happening to us. I have photos but not sure to upload them.

Rob a

So after some time I’ve found that if I heat water to 55+ the mix is perfect. Cool the bottle and contents by bathing the bottle in a mug of cold water. Works a treat.

Natalie R.asked

Where can I find some? So lost that I’ve run out, it’s the only thing that has worked for my 6 month old

Stephanie N.

Stephanie N.asked

After trying 6 formulas this one has finally got him to settle but gives him really bad dhiarriah all the time and very smelly poo has anyone had this issue

Natalie R.

Yes I did, it goes away after about 3 weeks, I think it was just clearing all the bad stuff out. Can I ask where you brought this as I can’t find it ANYWHERE

Lina123

Lina123asked

Can this formula assist with reflux?

Vaniya

Hi, I believe there is a specific Novalac reflux product too. The allergy one is for babies confirmed to have cow milk allergy. Currently there is major supplier shortage for allergy rice based formula.

Sandra W.

Sandra W.asked

the baby has been using this one, but will turn 1 year old soon, is there another formula that follows ??? THANK YOU

Tigeh

Follow on 'formula' products are usually either identical or identical or higher in sugar and lower in complexity and nutritional value. They are not as tightly regulated in many countries as infant formula, so they become 'drinks' instead of breast milk replacement with everything that means from a nutritional perspective. There's no reason not to stick with novalac allergy, apart from stock issues, as long as your child is adding other foods to their diet if/where medically possible.

Ashr

Ashrasked

Have been using novalac allergy 2 x a day for 3 days while mix feeding, after showing signs of milk intolerance when using nan comfort. Hoping to transition to formula full time but baby still seems to have tummy pains, really smelly farts and isnt pooing regularly on this formula. Is this normal?

Tigeh

Sounds like it isn't agreeing wonderfully with your child. This can be due to things like intolerance, underdeveloped guts or just a change of diet. If you've ruled out reflux, tried things like simethicone (infacol wind drops) and Zantac

Rahel

Rahelasked

Is novalac allergy wheat free?

Mabel

Mabelasked

Hi, I'm in South Africa,
My baby has been having smelly poop and gas bad has been vomiting, I've tried a lot of formulas I'm now on novalac AR digest and we still getting the same results, do you think my baby could also be allergic to cow's milk protein?
If so would Novarice help?

Lyn

Lynasked

Hi novalac. I just try this rice milk novalac with my son. It tastes quite bitter. Is it normal to taste a bit horrible compared to the sweet taste of normal cow milk formula? Regards lyn

Morgan S
Morgan S

My son is also on novalac but started crying when feeding it to him. I was wondering why he was crying and I tasted the formula..it was so bitter and tasted horrible. Each preparation tasted the same. Baby definitely hates the taste of this. I now need to try something new.. was also wondering if the entire novalac range tastes like this.

Elly

Ellyasked

My LO had some of this and liked it, but at his next breast feed he was spewing and it was a veryyy fowl acidic smell, also HUGE poonami, would you say this is bad reaction, possible allergy?

Shellyasked

Hi there fellow Mums. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to prepare this formula when you are out and about as I am struggling to find any information on this aside from the general preparation instructions on the tin? I also called Bayer but they just referred me to the original instructions on tin/and or preparing the bottle with the 40 degree water. When at home I pre-make a few bottles, store them in the fridge, heat a bottle up for each feed with a bottle warmer and ensure I use them within 24 hours. Is it ok to carry the pre-made bottle on ice and heat it up when required at my location - I can see it's not going to always be possible to make up the formula with 40 degree water depending on where I am. Thank you!

Nicki07
Nicki07

Prepare all ur bottles as u go, cool to room temp then u can refidgerate them for 24hrs so if u go somewhere u just need to heat the bottle most places will do it for u or make it up fresh before u go out n keep it in a bottle bag to keep it hot or sit it in a tub of boiling water, it is a little more annoying and not practical but it is really good formula

Shelly

Thanks so much Nicki07 :-) it does seem to be a very good formula my bubs seems pretty happy on this.

Brittanyasked

Has anyone’s Bub got a skin reaction to this formula? I was advised to put my daughter on novalac allergy because she vomits all the time and has green mucus poo but since taking it she’s gotten a red bumpy rash on her back and neck.

Alison E
Alison E

No rash for my bub. We tried soy there for a week as we found bub was getting constipated on this formula but he went back to being really sick and even more constipated. We have since reverted back to this formula but are using 10ml extra water when mixing the formula as I find it very thick.
Extra water and brown sugar and cooled boiled water has helped with the constipation.

Your bub may be allergic to rice. I would seek medical advice.

Brittany

Thanks so much, we’ve got an apt on Monday so hopefully we get some answers soon

Dian M.
Dian M.

Hi Brittany was your baby allergic to rice? My son is on it and also has rash on his stomach since using it almost like eczema and mucus poos :( ?

Anna S

Anna Sasked

I finally managed to transition my 9.5 month old to this formula after about a week of protest. We are just over a week in and it has been good so far. He has slight red dots on him but very minor and it looks like his skin is starting to clear. Im hoping this will be a long term solution for us as its been a very tricky for us with his severe diary and soy allergy, to the point he gets hives when he comes in contact with diary. What I want to know is does anyone know if you can get this formula in Canada? We are moving there next month and Im hoping we can get it there or something very similar. Thanks!

Get an answer from our members and Novalac representatives