NRMA Car Insurance

NRMA Car Insurance (page 2 of 35)

Appalling wait time on phone and non-responsive

Their customer failed to differentiate between a brake and accelerator which I understand can happen to anyone but my car was damaged to such an extent that it has been written off. I was given a booking for last Wednesday 22/05 (time wasn't specified) for an assessment of my vehicle but the assessor failed to show up. Since the time was not specified for the booking, I waited the entire morning for the assessor as I wanted to be present during the assessment. On the same day in the afternoon, I called them to get an update on the assessor (having waited for more than an hour on the phone) just to be told that "He definitely hasn't done an assessment for your vehicle yet". I tried to follow-up on this matter again on 23/05, with RIDICULOUS WAIT TIMES on the phone to be told the name of the assessor and that the customer service representative has tried to contact him via all platforms. In between all this, I am trying to get on with my work life and also search for a new vehicle (which is not as straightforward when it's so unexpected). I tried my luck again yesterday, waited for 2 HRS and then my call was ended abruptly with an automated message saying "There are some technical difficulties". I tried once again today at 9 am and the same thing happened. In this day and age, This is not good enough NRMA! I would love to see all your employees who are thanking me for the patience to also wait for such ridiculous times and sometimes not even get through! I'm not exactly sure what the problem is on the other end but NRMA being an insurance giant, I'm sure you can afford to hire more employees to reduce these wait times or technicians to fix your phone problems.

All I want to know is when is the assessor going to come to carry out the assessment on my car?!?!?!??!? Without being transferred to several depts, without ridiculous wait times and without the technical glitches!!! That's it!!!

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Hi Pri, I appreciate you are unhappy with our wait times and calls dropping out along with our assessor not having assessed your car yet. As you are not at-fault if you prefer you can have your insurer handle your claim on your behalf. This may save you time and they can have us cover the costs. Otherwise you can PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ JonoHi Jono, I am already aware of that option! I do not have facebook or messenger, so please don't suggest such stupid ideas instead be professional and email me the straightfoward answer to my email address: rahi.pri@gmail.com Kind regards, PriHi Pri, the Social team which responds to reviews on Product Review and other sites does not manage claims directly. Without the details requested above I am unable to find your claim or the correct person to contact you. I appreciate not everyone has Facebook so you can email our claims team directly at motorclaims@nrma.com.au. ~ Jono

Shocking servcie

I was in a car accident and the insured is with NRMA he was 100% at fault and took so long to put his claim through and once he did and was made at fault, he is taking even longer to pay his excess fee. I called NRMA over 50 times this past few weeks only to tell me they are chasing it up and give me the same response every time. I am making this a legal matter as I am shocked and appalled with the service they provide! and to think I was going to choose them as my insurance in the future! As an inusrance company they are not doing near enough to help me. I work full time and go to uni full time and as a student with no car for a month now this is extremely hard on me. I am physically and mentally exhausted from this! I am taking this to court because NRMA doesn't seem to understand the struggles I am going through. When their insured is made at fault and admitted to it how can they take forever to get the excess from them. I have told all my friends about this and the ones who are with NRMA are cancelling their insurance with them.

I was supposed to have a hire car like a month ago! Put yourselves in my position and give a little empathy to what I'm going through! I am letting everyone know what I'm going through because not only is this shocking but it's appalling. I am going backwards at uni in my studies because of this stress and pressure, the transport I have to take to get to work and the walking I have to do everyday is insane. I barely have time for anything anymore other then work and uni because of this!

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage
Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelToyota Aurion XV40 (2006-2011)
Claim MadeNo
Hi Diana, thank you for sharing your claims experience. If you have had an accident and are not at fault you can still claim through your insurer and they can follow up all the costs with us including for a hire car. If you are uninsured and need to claim through us you can PM us on our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. We will have someone from our Settlements team contact you to help provide you with some options. ~ Jono

Great customer service, professional claims handling

I've been with NRMA for two years now and just had my car written off. The employees from the claims department have been nothing but helpful and professional and have helped to take the stress out of the situation. It was a great relief to know their call centre/ claims department is in Australia

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelMitsubishi Mirage LA (2013-Present)
Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi S&T. It is great to hear from a happy customer. Thank you for sharing your positive claims experience. I hope everyone is safe and healthy after the accident. If you need help with anything else feel free to reach out to the Social Media team via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review. ~ Jono

Bad service, disrespectful customer service

Comprehensive Car Insurance Review:
I am very dissatisfied with my insurance claim following the hail storms of 2018, given I pay top premiums and have been a loyal customer for many years I had expected a good service however I am very disappointed and would not recommend NRMA to anyone. The assessment centre involved a rushed job where NRMA insurers refused to cover parts of my car damage, even after hours of chasing them (which is very difficult given I work) and insisting they hear me out they refused to do so and left me very little choice with repair options. It was an extremely dissatisfying and very frustrating experience, where they showed complete disregard for their customers. This experience just showed me they value saving money – and I am sure they made quite a loss during the storms over their loyal customers. Would encourage consumers to seek car insurance elsewhere.

Claim DateDecember 2018
Hi Khanum, it is sad to hear you were dissatisfied with your claims experience with us. We aim to provide a high level of service when it comes to claim time. What was the damage that was not covered and what was the reason for not covering? If you would like to discuss this further in private with more detail please use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your policy/claim number, date of birth, address and contact details. ~ Jono

nrma motor vehicle claims debacle

On 14 th december 2018 my parked car was hit by a delivery van. Independent witnesses found me in the building to advise my car had been run into so I went back to my car and got the drivers name, phone number, registration number and name of the company he worked for as well as names and phone numbers of the witnesses who saw the accident occur. The driver refused to provide his license details . I called nrma to report claim and the customers service said they would contact the driver and I didn't have to do anything more. I was given a claim number and name of repairer to take the vehicle to. My car was scheduled to be repaired 6 weeks later. When i went day to pick up the car after the repair was finished the repairer advise me I had to pay $695 excess. I explained I was not at fault but the repairer said nrma advised I had to pay an excess as they didnt have the drivers details.
So I call nrma to be told I didnt provide the right information and should have called the police to the scene of the accident. I had to tell the nrma claims person that the insurance council states that insurance companies do not require police be called to minor accidents. I was still told to report the accident to the Police and get an incident number and call back. The police said they cant do that for minor accidents but provided the licence no, address and correct phone number for the person who ran into me. When I called back nrma with the information I was asked where i got this information and I explained that this is what the Police had provided me with. The customer service person asked for the officers name and I said I didnt have that as I didnt know they wanted it - they didnt say to get that information. The the customer service rep said they didnt believe me and had I made it up? Now I'm told to go back to the Police station and get the name of the police officer who provided me with the information. Really?.. ok so i did that and called nrma again. now the customer service person is going to check this out because they still dont believe me. I repeat that there are independent witnesses to this accident and I have already supplied their names, phone numbers and work addresses. I told the customer service rep I just want my excess refunded which I've had to pay to get my car back.
A major part of the problem with NRMA claims is that their claims department is located off shore and the language difficulty makes for very difficult communication.
This was finally sorted out after a long saga that was exhausting and beyond belief that a insured customer could be treated like as if I'm trying to pull some sort of scam.
This was a truly disgraceful experience and reflects very poorly on NRMA. For the NRMA to handle claims in such a totally messed up manner is beyond belief. I cant wait till the end of July to leave nrma after 30 years of insurance with them. Every time I see the NRMA add "throw you arms around me" I think what a joke. Advertising as if they really care about customers when in fact they caused the maximum amount of pain possible.

Car ModelToyota Corolla E120
Claim DateDecember 2018
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Julz, thank you for provided your feedback with this review. When making a not at fault claim we require the other person's name, address and the registration number of their car in order to identify and send a letter of demand to them legally. Any excess paid can always be refunded once this is provided. I appreciate how frustrating it can be when you have so much information other then all of those 3 points, however this is the same for all insurers. We aim to provide the same level of service no matter where your call is made and would be happy to pass specific feedback to relevant mangers so our staff can improve. Please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ Jonothanks for your reply however i would like to draw you attention to my statement “ I called nrma to report claim and the customers service said they would contact the driver and I didn't have to do anything more”. Your contact centre staff should be told to advise claimants if more details are required then i could have attempted to get more information at that time when i was also told there would be no excess payable as i was not at fault. this would have been preferable than letting me think the claim was going to be sorted and no further action was required. on my behalf. Did you actually read where i wrote about the nrma accusing me of making up the information i supplied to nrma. no i wasnt lying. if you had read and understood what i wrote and your reponse is the best i can get then i really am appalled at the level of customer “care”. no apology - nothing!!!!! i actually believe that nrma just doesnt care about their policy holders at all - except for collecting premiums.Hi Julz, I did read where you wrote about NRMA accusing you of making up information. This is why I requested you provide information and said I would provide specific feedback back to relevant managers so our staff can improve. We absolutely do care about the service we provide to our customers at claim time. The offer to send the feedback back to the relavant managers is still available. If you are still having issues with your claim you can also message us your details so that we can have someone contact you to help. I appreciate you may have only wanted an apology and I am sorry you weren't informed about the requirement to lodge a not-at-fault claim and avoid paying an excess up front. I am happy to have the call listened to and the specific feedback provided to our claims team members involved. Please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: facebook.com/nrmainsurance. Please remember to let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ Jono

Bad service and disappointing claim processes

Really unsatisfied with my experiences with nrma so far.have been a customer for 5 years,excess and policy costs are priced fairly as per most major insurance companies.The problem that iv had with nrma is customer service,communication,improper repair work and waiting times for repairs.i have never been in an accident until being very unlucky in the last 3 months.have been in two accidents within this time frame. lodged two claims recently,took nearly 2 months full of anxiousness to have my new vehicle accepted and to start work on my first claim.recieved my vehicle back from powers road smash repairs seven hills Sydney.within 5 minutes of my drive on the way home after picking up my ute some engine piping blew off,my boot lid flew open (Not closed properly) and one of my front quarter panels started shaking and came loose.spent my whole Saturday off work fixing my so called repaired vehicle.later that day when checking the thoroughness of other works done on my ute I found loose hose clamps and radiator hoses not clipped on properly and a huge paint drip on my new front bumper.im afraid to think what else has been rushed and not fixed accordingly. I am disgusted In the sloppy workmanship and the feeling of disappointment of getting my vehicle back in a worse condition I originally had it in.my 2nd claim which is still ongoing is proving to be just as much of a heartache.has been over a week and nrma still hasn't organised my tow to the repairers.spent days on the phone calling as many repairers as I could and was told the tow would be completed the following day,was trying to find a shop that could take the job on as early as possible and try to alleviate some of the pain in waiting months without having a car to get to work in.now the shop I booked my vehicle into is going to be unable to start on mine because It took to long to get it towed there.now expected wait times for repair has been changed to mid June ,that's just for it to be looked at.I think it's ridiculous how difficult and how hard these situations are made when this is the time when we need a bit of peace of mind and clarity.not ridiculous wait times and to be pushed to the back of the line.this is a joke.think it's time to take me and my family's business elsewhere.had enough!!!!!

Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelFord Falcon Ute FG (2008-2014)
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Ryan, thank you for bringing this to our attention. It certainly isn't the level of claims experience we aim to provide. I would very much like to have someone from our home claims team contact you to help with these two claims. Please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ Jono

Good enough

Have lodged a few claims and had no issues with them at all. They action things very quickly but their insurance price are starting not to be on the cheapest so may consider changing soon.

Car ModelBMW 1 Series
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi HousofB, thanks for your review. We are glad you have had good claims experience and we hope you keep this in mind when comparing on price. ~ Jono

Good, no problems at all

Have lodged my first not at fault claim with NRMA for a minor scratch from another car while mine was parked, luckily I was sitting in my car, lodged the claim including the at fault's details with no problems at all, easy to submit online and the repairers details come up straight away including the online booking for their assessment.

My only complaint is that after my claim had been lodged, I have not had any verbal communications with NRMA confirming their info and that I have submitted and also some reassurance.
Apart from this, I have had no trouble at all.

For my age and my vehicle, NRMA offers the most for my car in terms of agreed value and at the lowest price of all other insurers even though I have NEVER made a claim before.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Brent. Thank you for your positive Product Review. I am glad your policy is to your liking and that the claims lodgement process was quick and easy for you. If you would like some extra reassurance you can message our claims team using this link https://go.nrma.com.au/carchat and they should be able to answer any questions there. Let me know how you go. ~ Jono

Slow and zero communication

My Car was damaged over a month ago by someone else (claim was made on the day) I have called numerous times and been on hold for hours each time and the one time I got through I was transferred to another customer service agent and was back on hold, no emails have been replied to and I have been without a car for this entire time now. I’d say I’m dissatisfied with this service but I am yet to receive any.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Mitchell, thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you were not at fault for the accident you should be entitled to a replacement hire car. You can also have your insurer liaise with us so save you any hassles. Were you given a reason why you were transferred and a more direct number to call next time? If you would like me to have someone from our settlements team contact you please use this link to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/ let us know you have come from Product Review and provide your claim number and contact details. ~ Jono

Insurance is good, but the preferred repairer is just horrible, and my brand new car was damaged

I trusted NRMA with their preferred/approved repairer to repair my brand new (less than a week old) Camry, due to minor scratches caused by someone while it was parked. The repairer recommended by NRMA did not do the job well, without care; at first, they damaged the brand-new replacement wheel ($800), and that got the repairs delayed for more than a week, with the car in their possession. Now, the wheel got replaced again, which is good that there is no damage to it after close inspection, at least on the surface. But I soon discovered that the repairers scratched the door handle areas, presumably by wearing rings (which I do not), and more apparently, only the side they have been working on was scratched. Further, the windscreen was damaged/chipped, I initially thought it was a bug as the car was not returned to me very clean, but realised it was a crack. I reported this to the insurance immediately, within 30 minutes of picking up the car, and NRMA's rude assessor denied any wrong doing completely, be basically stands on the side of the repairer for all matters.

There are a few things to note, NRMA's customer service is good, but their assessor is perfectly not. Delayed repair, and caused further damages. Secondly, I do have windscreen cover, but it is not my fault as I did not cause the damage, thus it would be unfair for me to lodge another claim. Even based on probability, the chance I could have caused the damage would be less than 0.4%, time-wise. And this is especially true since the repairer had to move the car a few times across contractors. Not to say that I have been the only one touching the car's right side doors so far, and I do not wear any rings; thus the scratches must have been caused by them.

The NRMA's assessor was rather rude and disrespectful, I have not finished my words, and he just hang up, basically denying any fault of the repairer and asked me to lodge another claim. This is perfectly not acceptable. NRMA's customer service has been good on the other hand, apart from the long wait time.

As the damages are there, I am stilling waiting for a resolution from NRMA to get them fixed/replaced, and all these phone calls have really made me disappointed with the level of service NRMA provides. Not to say that NRMA's customer service did anything wrong, but their approved repairer and assessor are just not good enough, not sufficient care or skill have been shown.

Car ModelToyota Camry XV70
Claim DateMarch 2019
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Tony, thank you for sharing your review. I understand you have already contacted our Social Media team via Facebook as requested and that this is currently being handled by our Customer Relations team who are the best people to help you from here on in. ~ Jono

Never answer the phone calls waiting online more then one hour...

Disgusting service 20 days renting a car from my own pocket to go work and more then 10 calls one hour each call different days, different time and guess what still no answer claim and quotation done at nrma request second day after the accident at their approved smash repairs shop but 15 days till now I don't know what to do keep renting car, are they going to pay me for the rent , are they going to fix my car or they going to pay me as cash settlement so i know what to do next!!!? . until they answer me I will let you know

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Car ModelToyota Aurion XV50 (2012-2017)
Claim MadeYes
Hi Mohamed, thanks for your feedback. We're really sad to hear this whole experience has been so negative. I'd be more than happy to chase your claim up for you with our claim team. Please PM us your details to https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Hopefully we can get this organised for you ASAP so you no longer need the hire car. ~Nada

Designed like Telstra call centre

We recently had some minor damage to one of our family cars.
The claim process was straight forward until the point of approving the repair.
After each day, I called NRMA and experienced an explanation of their process. (The call centre claims manager makes notes then refers it to an outsourced assessor organisation who then review and authorise the repairer and repair.) This is followed by an apology that they can't reach an assessor... Please wait 24 hours.
I am fairly patient and we had a spare car at home. However, after enjoying a repeat of the above every day until patience is stretched, I threatened to take all policies away and the claim manager made some calls and we received approval that day.

Two months later, we learned that the radiator had been damaged and had been missed. Guess what... We re-entered the same process.

It takes only moments to raise the claim but days and days to have any form of (respect for communication by NRMA and to make) contact with a decision maker so that the car can be repaired.

I am going to endure this ordeal, have the car repaired eventually, and then vote with my wallet and move all policies to a competitor who has a reputation for fast claim processing (not just an App by the way) and has not yet outsourced assessment of claims.

Stat away from NRMA.

Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Ray, sorry to hear about this long ordeal to get your claim organised. This isn't the way we want to leave our customers feeling. I'd be more than happy to chase up the issue with your radiator with our claims team. Please PM us your details through messenger to https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Hopefully we can get this car back on the road ASAP. ~NadaHi, Nada. I think NRMA (if planning to monitor it) should use this review site for its primary purpose... as a place for feedback and sharing among customers and potential customers... where NRMA might listen, learn and fix their broken processes rather than as a continuation of individual claims etc. I have left my comments for the benefit of others who are deciding whether to buy NRMA insurance products and to advise them to look elsewhere. I stand by my recommendation to stay away from NRMA insurance. Instead of recommending a separate place for my own issues, can you perhaps share with all other readers what is being done to deal with the overall rating and issues mentioned by numerous people on the site (my comments being one of many with a consistent theme)? I expect many would appreciate the transparency and response. Best of luck, Nada. Ray PS: Like some others, I don't use Facebook and I don't know what PM means. Better to fix your core claims and customer interaction methods.Hi Ray, we monitor this site to make sure there are no unresolved issues and complaints. If we can rectify a complaint then we will do everything possible to do so. We definitely use this site as a way to identify areas of our business to improve. PM stands for Private Message and completely understand not everyone uses Facebook. You can use this link to our complaints and resolutions page on our website for a number of other ways to contact us to talk about your complaint and find a resolution. https://www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions. ~ Jono

They can do better!

I was involved three months ago in a car accident, since then no body has called me even if the claim fee was paid the same day. I called several times with no answers, only yesterday I've been at the phone for 3 hours in a row. My issue should be an easy thing, since someone dropped my bike while it was still in a parking. To sum up, in 3 months no inspection, no contact, no answer and my bike is still damaged.

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party
Claim DateMarch 2019
Hey Luciano, completely understand where you're coming from with this feedback. Wait times have been excessive due to the recent weather events across the country and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused here. This definitely isn't the way we want our customers feeling. I'd be more than happy to pass on your details and get someone to contact you ASAP within the next few working days. Can you please PM us your details through facebook at https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Hope we can get things back on track for you Luciano. ~NadaIt seems to be a joke, since when you try to chat with the mentioned facebook page this is their answer : ''Hi Luciano, thanks for all your details. My apologies we don't manage claims here in the social media team, therefore we can't answer your question. You can call our settlements team on 1300 763 324 8.30 am - 5 pm Monday to Friday. ~ Vicki"followed "Hey Luciano. We do not manage claims through facebook but we can contact a manager for an escalation when required. Can you please confirm my understanding, just wanting to ensure that we are not getting our wires crossed. Where you sent here from a product review post? Regardles though, would you like us to esclate your concerns? Thank you ~ Lizzy"

Customer satisfaction lacking

I’ve been an NRMA customer for over 10 years with all my home and contents, business, 2 vehicles fully comprehensive insured with NRMA.
I reversed into another car that was reversed into me. Not knowing what I had reversed into, I instinctively put the car in drive and moved forward not knowing if I had hit a child(this was during school zone times in front of my kids school) when I panicked and moved forward I grazed a Ute tray in front of me. I explained this to the consultant and was assured that the front damage would be included in the 1 claim. Great right? Not great. Over 1 month after the incident and making a claim the same day. The issue has not yet been resolved as to why they have decided that the front end damage was never included and that I am lying about what I was told by the consultant. Apparently, even though the consultant made a note about it, there is no recorded evidence that I even mentioned how the front end damage occurred. So much waiting on the phone and contradictory statements leading no where. My vehicle still hasn’t been repaired. NRMA was supposed to be the best and most trusted Business name in Australia. I’d give them zero stars if I could.

Car ModelMitsubishi Pajero NM, NP
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Ration, firstly we would like to say we really do appreciate your loyalty to NRMA. I can understand how frustrated you might be and I would be more than happy to chase your claim up for you and get this matter resolved ASAP. Can you please private message us your policy/claim details through facebook at https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us Ration. ~Nada

Frustrating customer service

I called yesterday and requested a call back. Again this morning I called the settlement department I have been waiting for FOUR hours since 8.30 am. And NRMA is happily replaying the same monotonous message in every 30 seconds "We appreciate your patience and realize that your time is valuable please continue to hold and a member of our team will attend to your call as soon as possible. We apologize for the delay your call will be answered as soon as possible we are currently experiencing a high wait time your call will be answered as soon as possible". While I am struggling with my car after the accident I had Monday evening, such customer service from a renowned company is truly frustrating.

Claim Resolution Time<1 week
Claim DateMay 2019
Hi Abdullah, I can appreciate our Settlements line can have a long wait at times. One way you can avoid this wait time is by contacting your own insurer who can help you with your claim and liaise with us on your behalf. Otherise if you are still waiting for someone I can arrange a call back from our settlements team for 2-3 business days if you can please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ Jono

Good luck trying to claim from NRMA motor insurance

As a family we have had all our vehicles insured with NRMA for over 15 years without ever having to make a claim now we are trying to get a claim processed we see NRMA in a very bad light. Having lodged our claim online we received no response, we've spent hours on hold over the past month, we cannot get a meaningful response as to how our claim is progressing, the online report of our claim has not changed for weeks - we have no idea what is happening, no body seems accountable this is so frustrating and such a waste of our time. How can they get away with this complete lack of service??

Car ModelLand Rover Freelander 2
Claim ApprovedNo
Thank you for bringing your current claims issue to our attention. We absolutely want to make sure we are taking care of our loyal customers like yourself. 15 years without a claim is quite an achievement and we would hate to lose a customer like yourself based on your only claims experience with us. I would like to help here and have someone contact you to provide you with the answers you are looking for. Please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ JonoHi Jono I don't have facebook.That's okay if you can just confirm your claim number here we can see if our claims team can chase this up for you with just this information. ~Nada

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Without a doubt the worst Insurance company I have ever had the displeasure of associating with. You will NOT ever speak to an Australian person from the claims department which leads to often confusion and misunderstandings when discussing a claim. NRMA are sneaky with the wording on their policy disclosure statement and they will catch you out on a technicality where it can save them money. I've also never spent so long on hold in my entire life, I wish I could get all that time back. They find the most inconvenient times to return your calls (When and if they ever do end up getting around to it). If I could go back and choose a different insurance company I 100% would. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Insurance TypeCompulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage and Third Party, Fire and Theft
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Cody, thank you for sharing your recent claims experience. We aim to provide a PDS which is easy to understand and are not trying to be "sneaky with wording" but I can appreciate there can be misunderstandings. May I ask what exactly in the PDS you are referring to here so that we can use that feedback to improve? I am also happy to provide further clarification. If you would like to speak further privately please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. I can also understand you prefer to speak with our claims consultants onshore. And for a number of specific situations this is the case. But regardless of where your call is answered you aim to provide the same level of service and if you can PM us those details I would be able to provide some feedback to the relevant managers to provide extra training. ~ Jono

Absolutely shocking

My Partner and I were in an accident Toyota Hilux that was not our fault. An uninsured man was speeding down and around a corner, driving in a parking lane and was all around being wreck less. He smashed into the drivers side of our car, and we even had a witness that had no connection to me and my partner, stop and give us her card because she said the other party was driving like an “idiot” and was being unusually erratic. Even though the witness spoke to NRMA, told them what had happened they told us it was “our fault”, and to cough up the excess... It has been 5 weeks since the accident and our car has not been fixed. We actually went to pick up our car from a “NRMA trusted shop” that they chose for us who were fixing the car and as my partner drove the car away, the car was driving very strange and he was terrified as he was on a motorway. He turned the car around when safe, and took it back to the shop straight away and said what is going on? shockingly the repairman said “oh we forgot to tell you there’s something wrong with the turbo, we think, we don’t know”. How could anyone let someone drive away in a broken car is beyond me (without telling them) and I’m disgusted at the service we have had. We told NRMA about the incident, the woman on the phone was shocked to hear this, yet when we received another phone call from a different person from NRMA they said that the “turbo damage is from wear and tear”. So your telling me, that our car that we drive every single day, that has never ever ever had a problem with the turbo. Ever. All of a sudden broke because of “wear and tear” right when we had an accident, and now no longer works and the car can’t be driven. Multiple mechanics we have asked have said it could have easily been broken in the accident. But instead NRMA is saying it’s wear and tear. Funny how the panel beaters found the problem only a day before we were scheduled to pick our car up, then neglected to tell us about it, even though they had a mechanic look at it and THEN let my partner drive away unsafely in our car. And you know why they are doing this.. my theory is because it’s to expensive to fix. The print out sheet said they had already spent $8000 to fix our car, my “theory” is the panel beaters found the turbo problem last minute, told NRMA, organised a mechanic to look at it, he told them how much it was going to cost to fix it, they said no it will exceed the value of the car if we fix it, so then no one told us about it, let my partner drive away thinking he was safe in his fixed car but no.. what could have happened to my partner if the car broke down on the motorway? We had already had a terrifying accident and the last thing we needed is another one. I was so upset to hear after all of this and after the shock of our accident, after everything..that an NRMA “trusted partner” nearly caused us another one. I’m disappointed with the service and the fact NRMA were made aware of this and are in no way willing to help us or give us the service we pay for. We still have no car, 5 weeks later, no help and are now having to pay for another mechanic to look at the car. We have had quotes from mechanics of $4000 plus, no wonder they said it’s “wear and tear”.

Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Mads, thank you for sharing your recent claims experience. It's certainly not the experience we aim to provide our customers when they go through the already stressful enough event of an accident. I would very much like to have this escalated and looked into for you. You can absolutely have this decision reviewed if you believe this damage was from the accident and not from wear and tear. If you can Please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. I will have a claims manager contact you from there and also help you with next steps for official complaints. ~ Jono

Shocking customer service - longest wait time ever!

Yesterday I rang NRMA claims to ask them to send a request for quote to my smash repairer and waited on the phone in excess of one hour with no response. As I was at work I had to end the call. Today I rang the same department and again waited on in excess of an hour and received no answer. Both days the same monotonous message was replayed every 30 seconds "We appreciate your patience and realize that your time is valuable please continue to hold and a member of our team will attend to your call as soon as possible. We apologize for the delay your call will be answered as soon as possible we are currently experiencing a high wait time your call will be answered as soon as possible"
NRMA needs to improve on customer service!

Claim MadeNo
We know the wait times have been excessive at the moment Kim, and we do apologise for the inconvenience caused here. Would you like us to arrange a call back in the next few working days for you? If you'd like us to get this organised, could you please PM us via our Facebook page using this link: facebook.com/nrmainsurance with your claim number and best contact details. Hope we can get this sorted ASAP. ~JamieHave sent the details via Facebook.Thanks Kim. ~Jamie

Terrible customer service, been on the phone for 3 hrs! still no response.

Been a loyal customer for over 21 years, all policies with NRMA. Am shifting immediately as soon as I can get through! I've never had to wait so long. Incredibly frustrating and so bad for renowned company.

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party
Car ModelVolkswagen Golf Mk.4
Claim DateMay 2019
Hi Dane, we certainly appreciate loyal customers such as yourself and would hate to see you leave due to a long wait time. May I ask what department you were trying to contact? I would be happy to have someone contact you who can help with your enquiry.Please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ Jono

Apparently NRMA comprehensive car insurance is valid for 12 months. If a car is deemed a write-off before that time, why doesn't the insurance policy end at that time as well? Why does NRMA get the remainder of the premium rather than the customer who has paid for that insurance? Can the comprehensive insurance be passed on to the car bought to replace the write-off?
Hi SeeJay, comprehensive car insurance policies are a contract where we agree to cover your car for its value and liability for the period of 12 months for a certain cost, which is your annual premium. If a car is written off and the value of the car is paid out then we have fulfilled our side of the contract. If payment for the contract is in monthly instalments then the remainder of the unpaid payments will be deducted from the payout in order for your part of the agreement to be met. This is outlined in page 5 of your PDS. It is very important and we always encourage our customers to read their PDS to understand what is covered, how it is covered and how claims are managed. ~ Jonothe PDS can be difficult to understand if you are not familiar with the world of insurance.I appreciate that there may be parts of the PDS that are difficult for some people to understand who may not work in Insurance or may not have made a claim before. That's when it is a good idea to call us on 132 132 to seek clarification if there is anything you don't understand with your policy and PDS when you read it. ~ Jono

I do not understand why I can insure my car for say $10,000 agreed/market value but if it needs repairs, the value of the car is then taken from the Glass Car Guide Australia (apparently used by all Australian car insurers) which tends to give a much lower price and therefore makes a write-off more possible. Why is this so?
Hi SeeJay, thanks for your question. If you have your car insured for an Agreed Value then the decision about whether to repair the car or pay the Agreed Value is based on the cost of repairs in comparison to the Agreed Value you have chosen and whether it is safe to do the required repair. This is not affected by the market value of your car on Glass' Guide. If you have insured your vehicle for Market Value instead of Agreed Value, Glass' Guide is where the Market Value is referenced from. If you would like further clarification please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ JonoMy car was insured for an agreed value. The car was deemed a write-off because the repairs were more than the car was worth. I wanted another assessment done but was told that if I took the car for another assessment, whether RNMA, another insurance company or my own mechanic, they would then refer to the Glass car guide, and this price was 2,000 less than my agreed value. can you pls explain this?Seejay, we are not a part of the claims team so we cannot provide information about this. If you wanted to provide your details, we can arrange for claims to contact you to explain further for you. ~Kaz

If I was involved in an accident, not my fault, and I gave NRMA the other person's insurance company and account number, would NRMA contact the other insurer as the first option? Is this NRMA's policy?
Hi SeeJay, when making a not-at-fault claim we require you to provide the name and residential address of the at-fault-driver. This is provided in your PDS when you start the policy and renew on page 74. It would then be the responsibility of the the at-fault party to either contact their own insurer or contact us. The person's name and address is what we require to legally be able to undertake recovery actions from the at-fault party. Unfortunately we can't do much with just their insurance company and policy number. It would be the same if someone were to make a claim against you by coming directly to us. We wouldn't be able to do anything for them without you coming to speak to us first. Hope this helps and if you want further clarification about your specific claim please PM us with your policy/claim details to our Facebook page via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and include your name, DOB, address and contact details. ~ Jonoso if my car is a write-off and I take the money I have insured the car for, will RNMA then get in contact with the at-fault -driver to get back the money they (RNMA)have given me? I just want to know how this all works because I have found it all difficult to understand.The claims team will endeavour to recover costs from the party who was at fault in the accident, yes. ~Kaz

NRMA Car Insurance
Contact Number 132 132
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Home and Contents, Income, Life, Motorcycle and Travel
Coverage OfferedComprehensive, Compulsory Third Party, Third Party Property Damage, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Veteran, Vintage and Classic Vehicle
Roadside Assistance OfferedYes