NRMA Home Insurance

NRMA Home Insurance (page 2 of 9)

NRMA and Rizon building - what an incompetent arrogant partnership partnership

Storm damage December 2018. The Assessors came out 28/29 December. Advised on 22 February by Rizon they had been nominated by NRMA as the designated builder. First problem - the NRMA PDS states "If you agree, we can arrange for our preferred repairers, suppliers or builders" etc. I didn't agree, I was never asked. Rizon want a signed contract and your excess - no information on when the repairs will be carried out. I've spoken to David at AIG Customer Relations and Fiona Claims Consultant at NRMA. Surprise, surprise no result. Finally on 21 March I was contacted by Omodele who said she was from NRMA offering a cash settlement, I said I wanted the offer in writing, an email turned up 23 March which said a cash settlement was agreed. I never agreed to anything! it also purported to attach an estimate! No estimate of the individual items, just a total amount Same day an email from Rizon advising me I could note my concerns on page 4 of the paperwork - there is no live link and I had advised them of my concerns already on 02 March. The cash settlement looks way outside what the costs would be and really the whole mad pantomime is just a delaying tactic until they wear you out and you abandon the claim. I won't give them that pleasure. I've lodged a complaint with the AFCA and unless they smarten up their footwork very, very soon I'll ensure they get the publicity they deserve. What a major mistake to insure with NRMA. It won't happen again.

Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Thank you for sharing this experience with us Robin, we're upset to see this process has been so frustrating and time consuming for you. We would like to follow up on the points you've raised here and have someone call you back to clear things up as best we can. Could you please send us a private message via our Facebook page: facebook.com/nrmainsurance with your claim number and best contact details? Hope we can get things straightened out as soon as possible for you Robin, thanks again for sharing. ~JamieWell Jamie, I just don't know why you waste your time sending these syrupy messages - from what I read they rarely seem to result in settlement. the facts are these, in my case the NRMA has violated their own PDS for starters and no, I will not PM you via Facebook. I will pursue this matter as I have said and I WILL get a result! My time is far more valuable than to engage in your silly games RobinWe just want to help any way we can Robin. I understand, and completely respect your decision to pursue this matter as you'd like. If you do change your mind and would like us to arrange a call back or pass on your concerns to the team handling your claim - just let us know. Thanks for getting back to me Robin. ~Jamie

4 months after hail storm. Repairs have still not been done !

After I made a claim they sent someone from Rizon to take photos and look at the hail damage . 2 months later I phoned them again they said they haven't received the photos or quote .NRMA then sent someone els from rizon to take photos again and check the hail damage ... another month later I ring them again .. same story . but this time they contacted Rizon and got them to send the details thru . now there are 2 items missing from quote "whirly birds" . rang them again and now they are looking into it .. no doubt there will be more headaches to come from NRMA = "IAG" . avoid this company....

Claim DateDecember 2018
Hi Ashley, appreciate the feedback around your recent claim and understand your concerns. Would you like us to pass this on to the team handling your claim and organise a call back within the next 1-2 business days? If so, could you please private message us via our Facebook page: facebook.com/nrmainsurance - we just need your claim number and best contact details to get started. Thanks Ashley! ~Jamie

look somewhere else

my elderly brother in law house flooded due to burst water pipe under sink ,took 4 days for someone to come and remove carpets and install fans to try and dry it out, then 10 days after event assessor turns up did not listen to what happen from witness and i was told to clean the mould up prior to any work been done mould caused due to 4 days of water soaked flooring

Claim DateFebruary 2019
Hey Joe, thanks for sharing. If we can help your brother in law with the concerns you've raised here, please get him to send us a message with his claim details here: facebook.com/nrmainsurance. Hope we can get things sorted for him as soon as possible. Thanks again Joe. ~Jamie

NRMA BUILDING INSURANCE IS FAILING MY FAMILY

We have been with NRMA for over 30 years and have 8+ policies with NRMA
As we are a large family with 5 beautiful kids to look after, we have always felt it was worth paying the extra $$$ to be with the best!
That was until we had to make an emergency claim. . .

It turns out that in a major disaster, it is actually better being with one of the cheaper insurance companies like Budget Direct, GIO, ING and even Real Insurance.

Our property was severely hit by what SES workers referred to as a mini tornado (microburst with winds of up to 200kmp/h), which ripped through ours and neighbouring properties on the 15th of December 2018. Our house and property were smashed by winds and surrounding gum trees and 3 months later we are still living the nightmare.

All of our neighbours (which are with other insurers such as GIO and Budget Direct) had the same damage to their homes and have all settled and are happily getting back on their feet.

NRMA are still paper shuffling.

We had called every day for the first 2 weeks begging for emergency "HELP" which never came.
We then had to patiently wait for all the reports to be done which took a very long time.
They were finally completed several weeks ago and we have been calling almost every single day since explaining that we needed as a minimum the emergency repairs to be done. Still nothing....

We have been promised that the claim has been escalated, then we were told our Technical Assessor was "away" whatever that means, and that it will be pushed through to someone else urgently.

That was 2 weeks ago...

My latest call on Friday revealed that the file still sits quietly on the Technical Assessor's desk while we continue to struggle.
We have holes in the roof which continues to leak, rotting ceilings, insulation and walls, electrical damage to lights in our ceilings, no carpets and spikes sticking out everywhere which our children keep stepping on since the carpets were removed. The majority of the outdoors areas including pool and yard are out of bounds as a result of the dangerous trees, all of this should have been covered under make safe but NRMA never same and made anything safe....
It's a very difficult and stressful situation for our entire family. We just want to get back on our feet and move on...

My family has been waiting patiently for almost 3 months. Unfortunately we now need to take this to the next level to get the help we have been paying for, for over 30 years.

For those of you who are remaining loyal to NRMA like we have been all these years, be warned, loyalty does not mean what is used to.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Claim ApprovedYes
Claim DateDecember 2018
Hi Samantha. I am sorry to hear your still waiting on emergency repairs for your home. If you would like us to help you escalate your complaint please use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and provide your claim number, date of birth, address and contact details. ~ Jono

NRMA - Appalling customer service and feedback

I am so unimpressed with lack of communication and follow-up from NRMA I will be taking my 6 policies elsewhere. The query related to some water damage some 3 years after roof was fully replaced by NRMA on rental property following storm. Minor damage but wanted to know if I should pursue under the previous claim (as water damage was in same place under same window) or a new claim was needed. Took over 9 months - previous repairer had to assess and leak detector report obtained, had to chase all the time, numerous calls unreturned - eventually declined. Requested a review as leak detection report (eventually received) also mentioned problems on 'lifetime guaranteed' roof. I cannot even get a response to multiple emails and online complaint query and not prepared to waste more hours on the phone to be told someone will be in touch and for nothing to happen yet again. They just hope these little annoying people go away and won't bother pursuing. I am appalled by the standard of service offered by NRMA, will be cancelling all my policies in my time and would highly recommend you give them a wide berth.

Property TypeTownhouse
Claim MadeNo
Hi Margaret. I understand you do not wish to talk to our claims team online or try calling us. We don't manage claims through Product Review but if you would like us to forward your details through to our claims team use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review. ~ JonoWe have had numerous calls unreturned, email and online complaint. I am no longer interested in wasting my time with NRMA and will be moving my policies - it’s just plain too little too late

NRMA- This insurance corruption has to stop.

Most NRMA policyholders are not aware that NRMA has Insurance Laws, Insurance Code of Conduct and Consumer Laws they MUST abide by.
My advise to everyone is do the registration and Licence checks through Fair Trade on everyone NRMA sends to your home and have witnesses when inspections are carried out.
In my experience. I had a claim, NRMA sent out their representative and a report titled 'EXPERT' was submitted to NRMA.
NRMA sent out a plumber that confirmed my claim and a SOW was complied to the value of almost $30,000.
One month later NRMA sent out a so called 'Engineer' the engineer submitted a report 2 weeks later which included an ILLEGAL SOW (not legal definition of a Scope Of Works) which was then sent to the NRMA data analyst who now complied a SOW from another company which devalued the claim by $26,000 to $3,600 less excess $2,600. Based on non FACTUAL information (using terms such as if, but, maybe, possible, likely).
Witnesses have testified that information and recommendations given to us by this 'engineer' were not consistent with the report details.
Alarm bells began to ring for me so I did the Fair Trade Licence and Registration checks. This revealed the so called builders and engineers sent to my home were not the licensed/Registered builders and/or engineer as claimed by the entire NRMA claims department and first level complaints department.
Level 2 Complaints department sent out an 'engineer' this engineer presented a report and the data analyst then devalued the claim down even further... this time to ZERO.
Licence and Registration checks revealed the name of this engineer and the name on his report was not registered with the NER.
Level 2 Complaints department has tried to force a cash settlement in her Final Decision Letter based on the second report without a legal SOW (no itemized details and without a 'written' settlement amount).
This matter is going before AFCA. I advise anyone that has a similar experience and is getting nowhere with NRMA to go to AFCA. This insurance corruption has to stop.

Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time3+ months
Thanks for sharing your experience Bet and we are sorry to hear about how this has affected you. We can certainly appreciate how you are feeling and that you do not agree with our decision, although we can not manage this directly we can try to escalate this for you again if you would like us to but it does sound like you are taking the steps to dispute this already. Please let us know if we can try to assist and we certainly will but we look forward to this being resolved for you. ~LochyHi Locky. You certainly can help. Instruct NRMA pays me the original quote of $29,061.08 instead of wasting AFCA’s time and resources.

Poor service

So disappointed with NRMA still waiting for pergola roof to be fixed from hail storm in December. Seem to be trying to get out of paying so not happy and looking at moving all our insurance policies to another company. Ridiculous that we pay all the premium to have cover so they can try not to fix - shame on you!

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Jezz, thank you for taking the time to review our Home Insurance Product on Product Review. If you would like advice on escalating this through to Claims Management you can follow this link - it will explain your entitlements: https://www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions. Apologies that you have been left feeling so frustrated. A claims experience should be hassle free and efficient. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with ~Renae

An awful company to have contents with

The waterproofing membrane on my shower walls failed. I thought, that’s fine, I’m covered for water damage to my carpets. No. The NRMA first said that they don’t cover water from a shower recess. Apparently, they define the entire shower cubicle to be the “recess”. Even though it’s not recessed into the walls.
Then to top it off they said they wouldn’t co er faulty or bad workmanship.

It’s unbelievable. They’re completely dishonest. They won’t honour dictionary definitions. They will make any excuse under the sun not to pay out on claims.

I feel as though the NRMA have committed a fraud on me. I’ll be taking my business elsewhere. Just a pity I’m not wealthy enough to sue them for the return of all my premiums I’ve paid to them.

Also, don’t listen to their team. They actually don’t care. Their customer relations team won’t help you either. They’re horrible people in this company.

Coverage TypeContents Only
Property TypeApartment/Unit
Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time1-2 weeks
Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Richard, thank you for taking the time to review our product. Sounds like you have had an awful experience and you should not be left feeling like this. We understand your frustrations and hope that you have had the policy exclusions explained to your throughout this process. Please let the Social Team know if we can assist you in the future ~Renae

My insurance premium has become rubbish.

After big a big storm on 15/12/2018, my house had damage and roof and gate cover area. I received quote from my builder and NRMA(IAG) received from MAINCOM. MAINCOM quote is half as cheap as my builder's quote. That's why NRMA, actually IAG, give job to MAINCOM. But I can't accept it. It's not just that I want to give my builder a job, but there are a few reasons.
After looking at all the reviews, I found that MAINCOM is a lousy company. And I don't know why IAG say MAINCOM is the best company?
I believe that NRMA must consider that why there is a big amount of differences between two companies.A cheap price is not necessarily good, and there are clear reasons. I believe that MAINCOM's quotation is not included many kinds of works. That's why their quotation is lower than my builder's quatation. I expect from NRMA good and quality service. But NRMA chooses MAINCOM only reason for the cheap quote. Don't try to make my house as rubbish.
Here are the reasons, why I can't accept MAINCOM for my house.
First, MAINCOM doesn't know my house's original conditions. MAINCOM inspector, unfortunately, he came to my house after finished all demolition work and damaged roof area (it covered with cover sheets.) but he didn't ask a drawing.
Second, the most big problem is the roof area, it included structure work as well. Not only the roof tiles but also the structure frame has broken. My builder inspected the inside and outside of roof area, he covered there with cover sheets. It means only my builder knew that how big and how dangerous the damaged are . And he only one person knows about structure material. But MAINCOM inspector didn't look at the inside of cover sheets. I watched he didn't open the cover sheets and looke the inside. He can't know about it without opening the cover sheets.
Third,When my builder inspected, he took almost 2 hours for inspection. But MAINCOM inspector just looked around and take pictures finished just 5mins. It can't be the same as seeing it in person and seeing it by photos in an office.
Fourth, I believed that a lot of works are missing from MAINCOM quotations. NRMA told me that if there are extra work, they would charge as well. Terrible. Before making a decision and please consider. Extra work means taking more time. That's why all reviews showed it, MAINCOM never finish the work. What can I expect from MAINCOM?
Last, I can't trust MAINCOM because of too cheap quotation. They can't make my house to original conditions with such as the cheap quotation.
IAG accessor was unfair. I thought he comes to my house as a MAINCOM representative. He forced me to choose MAINCOM.
But I'll never, never, never choose MAINCOM. I've seen all the reviews and I've made sure.
NRMA(IAG) never listen to customer's opinion, never relpy, never contact, never consider.
And I'm sure that NRMA(IAG) will get the money back from MAINCOM, otherwise, there is no reason to side with MAINCOM, inspite of all terrible reviews, all complaints.
I total have 10 policies with NRMA, but I'll try to find another insurance company.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Type of ClaimStorm and Rainwater
Hi Jin, thanks for reviewing our product and giving your honest feedback. The Social Team do not directly manage claims but if you would like this escalated, please feel free to PM us your claims details through Facebook Messenger. We would be more than happy to assist you with this ~Renae

Getting a home insurance policy.

We have had NRMA car insurance for several years and after an unusually large premium increase from our previous home insurer we decided to try NRMA.

Our first contact was by an online quote but I was unable to insure in the way I wanted because I was unable to find any place to buy content insurance and so I spoke to Donna on the phone. Donna answered all my questions and got me thinking about our home insurance and so we came to a good agreement about what we needed and what NRMA needed and we will buy the policy.

I have to say that Donna was easy to talk to, keeping me at ease throughout the procedure. You have a good employee there.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Brian, thank you for contacting us today. We appreciate you sharing your positive words with us. It is rewarding for us to know we were able to make a difference. I know Donna well and have passed on your kind words to her and the rest of her team. ~ Jono

Hopeless,Hopeless Rude and Hopeless

Has taken multiple phone calls,numerous repetitive conversations and frustrating misinformation to get where we are now with our contents claim.So its now over 2 months we are still waiting on a PC and have a new TV delivered which doesn’t work.So they me it’s now my problem,”you got your TV chase it up with the store,we don’t deal with stores”.... umm yes the store you ordered it from that I had no choice in ?
Absolute garbage service.Dont try the complaint service- no one gets back to you ....ever

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Claim ApprovedYes
Hi Justin. Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you are still waiting on a PC and that your TV doesn't work.If you are still having problems with your claim use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review and provide your claim number and contact details and we will have our claims team get in contact. ~ Jono

Disappointing.

We have been with NRMA for over 25 years and a section of a tree on our property fell on to our roof in the storm on 15 December. Things have progressed but in general the tardiness and inaction by most staff I have encountered was appalling. It is as if only when I call (every time it took a long time to get through to start with), things get actioned.

Last week in view that we were due to check out our temporary accommodation in a few days I contacted NRMA again. The officer said she will call the builder to find out where things are at and how much longer will we need temporary accommodation first and she will organise and update me. I didn't hear back until I called again two days later. Yes she tried calling but couldn't get through and she left a note in the record. And? Nothing happened.

It was like that the whole time pretty much, something will be done when I call, what sort of process is this?? Why??? That's terrible. Customers buy your services and expect they will be looked after when something happens, especially when they have no experience with the process, and it's your job to help and guide them, is it not?

And then there's this Lido Accommodation that looks after the accommodation side of things, quite frustrating to deal with as well.

As we needed a pet friendly accommodation, NRMA apparently sent a request to them to organise. When I first followed up, the lady at Lido, without even asking my reference, told me they have not received any requests. Then I asked if she has my reference and she literally went "oh yes". She then put me onto another officer who apparently looked after my booking. He told me it is hard to find one, but maybe there's one in Top Ryde and he would need two days to sort it out. Two days later when I didn't hear back I called him back. This time he said he was busy and there are other customers who still haven't got accommodation sorted and he would need two more days. As a matter of fact, the day he told me about the Top Ryde accommodation, I already did my homework and checked with the property, and was told they have the availability. I called NRMA back and told the officer I really don't want to deal with Lido their contractor. I am a NRMA customer and whoever is their contractor is for them to deal with.

As at today I have a few queries with regards to the claim outstanding, and waiting for a response on my content claim, also hoping for the repair process to start soon but the experience thus far with NRMA overall has been extremely disappointing.

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for reaching out to us Nora and sorry to hear about how this situation has affected you. Although we do not manage the claims directly we can absolutely send through an escalation to the claims lead who is dealing with your case if you could provide us with your claim number we can arrange to have this escalated. Alternately you can contact the claims team via web chat rather than calling through here https://www.nrma.com.au/claims/home-insurance by selecting follow up an existing claim then chat now, they are available 8:30 am - 5 pm Mon - Fri. Hope that helps but let us know if we can provide any other information or guidance. ~Lochy

Lack consideration for the aged

I am a lifetime member of the NRMA. I had a claim over 5 years ago where they started works and did not finish the repair - ordering the contractors to walk off the job. I was in despair and endured ill health as a result my claim and at the hands of the NRMA. My daughter had to take over the claim and negotiate repairs. She too experienced stress, disgraceful service and acknowledgement despite my loyalty and her professional business acumen including experience and degrees in business and health. It was disgraceful from the face right through to the IAG CEO to whom she wrote. Another insurable event happened last year which further damaged the unfinished works (which were insured) and created further damage to more of my house. Half of my house was unlivable and was not safe. If it was not for this exacerbating event and the support of my family, our investment in a structural engineer and their representation standing firm by my side I would not have survived the situation nor have the house repairs near finished today. The matter was escalated to an NRMA technical assessor whom inspected the property and authorised repairs to completion. A new building company was appointed after due consideration of my needs. The young builder was an inspiration to the manner in which the repairs were to be done and his respect for the elderly.... a rare thing these days. It broke my heart that I had to endure such hardship by a company I have been loyal to for so long. It should not have been this way. It took 3 months for the builder to get to this stage of being 99.9% finished. Why did the NRMA have to make me suffer for 5 years and wait for a new claim to arise before helping. If they had finished what they had started the second lot of damage would not have eventuated. I have become very fearful as a result of the NRMA (IAG) insurance company as an elderly person. I have lost trust, faith and have become weaker. Make sure you have full support of your family, take plenty of photos and document EVERYTHING. Make sure you read the PDS and their alterations to the PDS on your renewal policy at each renewal.... YOU need to put in the hard work to claim for what you are allowed to claim. They will NOT make it easy for you or care for you like their advertising claims. NRMA is NOT what it used to be and does not have the elderly - lifetime members - as valuable members. There should be an inquest and a representative for the aged for such matters.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Roma. I am extremely sorry to hear all the stress and issues of your claim. I am glad it is being sorted now and you have just a great builder. If you would like to take your complaint further here is the link to our complaints and resolutions page www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions. ~ JonoHi Jono, Thank you for your comment, I doubt that the NRMA will care to take this further or care... I had escalated my concerns previously numerous times. I even had a fraud representative be in touch with me which gave me the impression of further bullying tactics from the NRMA. Disgraceful.

Treated like garbage by customer service

Our 2 house policies came up for renewal and we were only given the option of an annual payment. When I rang to question why, I was told that because we had trouble sticking to the payment schedule, we were no longer allowed to pay by the month. This is not the part I'm angry about.
We have been in financial difficulty after my hours were cut when I returned from maternity leave. When I explained this, the representative told me that "my financial issues are not the NRMAs problem" and that they are "a business, so we have to make money". I was also constantly talked to in a condescending manner and interrupted repeatedly before she magically couldn't hear me and hung up on me.
This is the second time I have dealt with NRMA (the first being a car insurance claim) where I have been left feeling degraded, humiliated and in tears. What happened to compassion, and giving people who are struggling a little support instead of making them feel like rubbish about it?

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Jessica, so sorry to hear about your experience with our phone consultant, that is certainly not the level of service we strive for here at NRMA, we do pride ourselves on our empathy in situations you describe. While we may not have been able to change your payment frequency, we should have advised you kindly showing respect and empathy and certainly not in a rude condescending manner. Jessica, could you PM us here or PM our Facebook page and provide you details please as we would like to pass on your comments to the consultants manager so this doesn't happen again. ~KazHi Kaz, unfortunately I called on 14th January to make my complaint. I was told the manager was in a meeting and that all details would be emailed to them, and I'd be contacted within 24 hours. As I received nothing back, I decided to review here. I can PM you via Facebook, which I will do now, but let's just say I'm skeptical of any real follow up.

Terrible claim service

My elderly parents have been with NRMA with multiple policies for 50 years (Gold members). Back in first week of November 2018 a car damaged their carport so that it is unsafe and they can no longer access their back yard. That day it’s was made safe by a NRMA subcontractor and then an assessor came out the following week to make an initial report. However, it is now mid January with no sign of repairs being planned. Total run around every time they call, promises to call back but never do. always says they are waiting for reports, give us timeframes but it never happens. So frustrating for my parents not to mention the total lack of loyalty for 50 year customers who’ve never made a claim.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Shar, thanks for your review and letting us know about your parents recent claims experience and the lack of communication. We would be happy to escalate your concerns to the claims manager for your parents, can you PM this page or our Facebook page their names and claim number so we can help. ~Kaz

Couldn’t believe how fast the claim went through

4 years I had to finally make a claim on accidental damage to my laptop
I submitted the claim online at 9am
By 1pm I was down at jbhifi paying excess and collecting new replacement
Could not believe it so happy with the service

Insurance claim madeYes
Wow Andrew, that is very quick, so pleased to see you are happy with your claims experience and thank you for sharing! ~Kaz

No respect for loyalty

My annual premium is due & I got a request to pay just under $10,000 due to the new way they deal with storms/floods/rainwater run off/surge all lumped in together. Ridiculous! Who can afford that? What ticked me off most is I’ve been with NRMA for 21 years & have 5 policies and they didn’t care less when I said I’d need to leave because I can’t afford such a high premium up more than double from last year. No respect for a loyal customer. It’s all about profits not customers. Sad.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Helen, sorry that you have been left feeling this way. The changes have been made to ensure customers are covered in an unfortunate event, but I totally understand how you are feeling due to the premium increase. If you would like this matter escalated Helen, please feel free to PM via Facebook Messenger and the Social Team can direct your message to our Flood Team for further advice. ~RenaeAt the time that I rang to discuss the matter with an NRMA representative I was advised that cost/price does not meet the criteria to escalate the matter. Therefore there seems no point it taking up your offer. Unless, of course, you’re suggesting that the original advice I was given was false? I doubt that because the staff member seemed competent and well versed. I was very happy with NRMA so it came as a shock when no attempt at all was made to retain my patronage after 21 years loyalty. I even said that ethically I will now need to move my other policies to another provider. Response? Care factor zero.We certainly do appreciate your loyalty of 21 years Helen. You have shown us great patronage, and we would be sad to see you go. If there is more we can do for you please let us know ~Renae

Pet lovers - review the policy

Absolutely disgusting our dog damaged our cedar doors due to being scared in storm. We had top cover so. Thought covered by accidental damage. Was told no but was up sold on their pet lovers policy to say if you purchase this upgrade on your policy you will be covered if it happens again - so we upgraded - it happened again 18 mths later only to be told covered by animals not living on premises as then pet lovers not covered by chewing -funny that conveniently not told that when sales person in claims up sold me on adding new policy - believe nothing they tell you - yes we need to read the fine print - no longer trusting we were in fact not told the truth!lo

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Unsatisfied, Sounds like you have had a very frustrating experience. You should not be left feeling like this and should have received the correct information about the product prior to adding it to your policy. If you would like to lodge a complaint and we can look into the information surrounding this 'upgrade' you can escalate via this link to Customer Relations https://www.nrma.com.au/complaints-resolutions. They will assist you in finding a good outcome. I hope everything else is ok after the storm ~Renae

Escape of water claim terribly mismanaged

I have been with NRMA for several years and have four policies with them. On 23/11/2018 I had a burst pipe under my kitchen sink. The water flooded almost every room and went through several walls. Even though NRMA has both policies they appointed separate people to “restore” my building and contents. The contents restorers advised me that they would only assist with the drying of the carpets and put several machines in. The carpets were an older wool with hessian backing so they were starting to stain quite badly and seemed very unlikely to be able to be saved. They left on a Friday advising that they would reattend on “Monday or Tuesday” on Saturday the building restorer attended and found moisture readings of up to 35 when the safe level is 16 and under. She could not take moisture readings of the two most affected walls in the kitchen because the kitchen cupboards were in the way. Apart from the readings she advised that there was nothing that she could do as the carpet drying machines were in the way. She did advise that she thought the carpets should have been removed on the Friday. I called NRMA on Monday and advised them that the carpets were now very badly stained and stinking to high heaven and asked if they could please be removed so that the drying of the structure could commence. The claims consultant was quite curt and advised me that the carpet decision was entirely up to their subcontractor. The carpet restoration people did not check on the progress or change the filters of their machines until six days later when they finally removed their machines and wrote off the carpet. They only removed half of the carpet at that time because they were “busy”.

The assessor and the structural drying company then attended and the assssor was remarkably rude and dismissive saying that he “cant assess what he can’t see” ignoring much of the damage and the fact that NRMA’s process meant my kitchen walls and kitchen with chipboard underneath sat wet for six days! Once the structural drying was finished they decided everything was fine despite some of the wall moisture readings being elevated after ten days! After I complained a second assessor from the same company attended (despite being promised an independent assessor they never eventuated) and was slightly less rude but of almost the exact same opinion as his colleague - they want to do some superficial cosmetic work to make the kitchen look okay while the chipboard rots and who knows what happens to the walls.

I have a two year old and a five year old both of whom were premature babies with IUGR and I am stuck in no man’s land of paying for accomodation while I wait for customer relations to contact me. I do not believe that my house is safe for my children because the moisture readings of the kitchen walls have never been taken and they and my kitchen were left wet for six days and the chances of mould are quite high, I consulted an independent mould specialist who advised that they cannot determine if there is mould without direct access to the affected walls.

I am horrified by my claims experience and how I have been treated and must strongly recommend against NRMA insurance. I have “home plus” a supposedly premium product.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Shannon, I have sent a reply to another review with the same notes. I hope we can get this moving along for you asap ~RenaeHi Renae, I have replied with my details but it has been seven days since I contacted customer relations originally and was told that I would receive a call back “within a couple of days” thank you for trying to escalate it, I really hope that it works. It’s almost Christmas and this is having a terrible impact on my children.Please also look at the rest of my reviews, they are mainly really positive. This is by far the worst experience that I have ever had as a customer.

Price jump by 50 per cent due to flood rezoning

They have recently increased premiums due to my adjoining properties being assed as flood prone. Only they don't flood, not now, not ever. Why? Because I owned them in Feb 2011 when the BIGGEST flood on record ever occurred and my properties did not flood. I told them that, they were the insurer back then as I have been customer over 11 years and no claim was made. They don't want to take notice of reality so I cancelled my policy with them. I suggest you do so too.

Insurance claim madeNo
Sorry to hear you feel this way, we can confirm that many councils did rezone the flood risk based on increasing severity of storms and weather events. Although your home may not have flooded in the biggest flood prior to this most councils are expecting the floods to be gradually worse than what we have encountered in the past and this has caused a huge number of areas to be re-rated by their councils as flood risk zones. If you feel your council is incorrectly rating your area we can accept independent reports for flood data but we would assume the council is correct if they have rezoned as they would be employing hydrologists and geologists to review this infoamtion. Please make sure when changing insurers that they do offer the same level of coverage as often differences in price can be because of harsher exclusions and limitations of cover on the policies. If we can offer any other assistance or information please let us know we will be happy to help out if we can. ~Lochy

When i phoned customer service for my solar system damage by a storm was advised to get a report from a level 2 electrition on damage then 2-3 replacement quotes for my claim. Only to be told when I rang back to lodge my claim nrma would be arranging a builder to asses the damage/replacement of my solar sytem then why did i get a report costing me $199? When nrma has to aprove the damage with there own builder?
Hi Lozza, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can appreciate how frustrating this is to be told two conflicting things and have this additional charge. I would like to have this looked into and rectified for you. Can you please use this link to our Facebook page to reach out via messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nrmainsurance/. Just let us know you're from Product Review, include your original message and your claim number, DOB, address and contact details so we can contact the correct person in claims to escalate this for you. ~ JonoThankyou for your reply, i will contact FB NRMA and hopefully i will have a better outcome. Lozza

We have had our storm damage assessed recently. Can I obtain a copy of the assessment report including individual cost for each of the claims that have been assessed?
Hi Mario, you would need to discuss this with your claims consultant, please give them a call. ~Kaz

The General Insurance Code of Conduct states that you should deliver a decision within 15 business days. Your consultant contacted me afte 5pm on the 15th business day to advise that she would get back to me by close of business on the 17th business day but she still hasn’t . What advice would you give me on how to proceed? I do not feel that NRMA is acting in good faith.
Hi Shannon, I had a similar situation as yours when a flexi pipe burst in an upstairs kitchen and damaged a major part of my home downstairs. I had nothing but problems with NRMA the entire way through the process. They assigned a building company by the name of CCP Remedial to handle the repairs. I'm wondering if you have been assigned the same company. Their customer service is a disgrace, never returning calls. I had to constantly follow up on everything. They sent a contractor out to do some repairs and he ended up sending his son to do the painting. The job was shocking. He even painted over a large area of mould on my walls. You could still see it through the paint. I had vinyl tiles which got ruined in an area of my kitchen and NRMA (and CCP Remedial) insisted for months that they would only pay me for the damaged tiles and I would have to pay for the rest myself. (The tiles are not made any more). I pointed out that the policy states that I am covered to the nearest architectural break. Finally I got someone at NRMA who actually knew and understood the policy. Then they removed my vanity which had water damage and realised that the job to replace it was going to be bigger than they had originally thought so they said they weren't going to touch it. I have been 12 months without a vanity. I stood up for my rights and ended up taking the matter to the Ombudsman. I just found out last week that the Ombudsman has ruled in my favour so the NRMA have to pay me to completely fix my bathroom. I have been awarded compensation as well because of how NRMA stuffed me around. My advice to you is to keep good comprehensive records on everything. Just take notes on dates, times and names whenever you deal with them. Write down everything they say. They take notes on their communications with you and you have the right to ask to see these notes. Take lots of photos too. And keep on their back. If they say they will call you the following day and they don't, then call them. And keep doing this. I think we feel like we don't want to be pushy or be a pain but it is what is needed here because their customer service is appalling and we are suffering because of it. It is a very stressful time and NRMA will do their very best to drag it out. My incident happened in September 2017. I went to the Ombudsman with my dispute in May 2018. It has only just been determined and this is due to NRMA always waiting until the final day to respond throughout the process. They do not value their customers or care about their customers' peace of mind. Loyalty means nothing. I had been with them for 30 years and with 10 policies. It meant nothing.Wow, Lisa! thank you so much for answering. Your story is inspiring but also horrifying! Thank you so much for all of your excellent advice and for the hope that the ombudsman can and will make the right decision (though it may take a ridiculous length of time) I’m so delighted that you finally had some resolution but I’m stunned that they are able to subject people to this kind of treatment for this length of time. My work was subcontracted to AJ Grant but the similarities are incredible. I believe the cozy and corrupt relationship between NRMA and their chosen repairers will eventually be part of a royal commission.Hi Shannon, I would be happy to help you in any way I can. I can provide you with names of the people I dealt with at NRMA and can send you a copy of my complaint to the Ombudsman if that would help you. Maybe even mentioning my name, if you get to the complaints resolution process, and letting them know that I will be assisting you, may make a difference, who knows. I am so disgusted by NRMA and how they treat their customers and yes, I agree with you about the relationship between NRMA and their repairers, it is definitely dodgy. I had everyone at NRMA and CCP Remedial repeatedly denying my claim. I had tradesmen at CCP Remedial blatantly lying about the situation. But I knew I was in the right and I was not going to let them bully me. I often wonder how many customers they do this to, who would simply give up, because it is a very long stressful process. I lost many nights sleep and a lot of time in fighting this. It was worth it in the end, not because I received the payout that I was owed, but because I won, and didn't allow them to walk all over me and get away with their dirty tactics. Hang in there. Hopefully it won't come to this for you. Let me know if you need anything and we will work out a way to communicate privately.

NRMA Home Insurance
Contact Number 132 132
Online Live Chat No
Other Insurance Types Offered Business, Car, Funeral, Home and Contents, Income, Landlord, Life and Travel