2Onga Hammerhead

Onga Hammerhead Questions & Answers

Jonathan C.
Jonathan C.

Hi. I’ve just bought a hammerhead for the first time and hose seems quite loose in the head. I’ve got the leader hose fitted there as instructed but the head comes off when it stops. The adaptor cuff doesn’t seem to fit. What do I do?

Waz1
Waz1

What do you mean by head? If you mean the main machine the lead hose just pushes onto the swivel connector, have you screwed that in firmly. The skimmer box end connects to a 90°elbow & that fits into a multi sized all purpose adapter.

GEO.

IF your hammerhead flapper valve is worn how do you know or what are the symtems???

GEO.

The front of my hamerhead is elevated as if you need to have a weight on the nose to make it flat . When put weights as per directions does'nt work seems to pull the front of the head up which is not what i want please advise where the weights should go to have the skirt flat on the bottom

Sandy

This is a known problem with this product. What I've done, on two different installations, is add buoyancy to the first hose, near where it joins the head. That way the hammerhead stays flat on the pool bottom and climbs the walls correctly. For buoyancy, I've used a rubber ball in one case, and a small piece of solid foam in the other - just tie the buoyant object to the right spot using some nylon cord or something similar. You need to experiment a little, with the location and how much or how little buoyancy to use, but once you get it adjusted, the hammerhead works fine.

Sharon P.

Just bought a new lil hammer and I can’t get the hose to float and the head wants to lie on its back. My old one served me well for 5 years. Spent ages fiddling with weights and flows but still lying on its back … any ideas?

Sandy

The problem is balance and buoyancy of the head. This is a common problem. The way I fixed mine: tie a small rubber ball to the front hose segment, about a handwidth from where the hose attaches to the head. The extra buoyancy, in that location, helps balance the head. One you make the right adjustment, the head will sit properly on the pool bottom and vacuum the pool sides properly.

JJ
JJ

I followed the info in the manual about positioning the weights along the hose. Stuffed around with it for ages and it still doesn't perform very well. I have had to tether the hose with nylon rope to prevent it getting stuck in corners. I truly regret this purchase.
I am afraid it's the downside of buying this product. NEVER AGAIN! Over promised and under delivered. These companies should be pursued by consumer affairs for selling products that just don't do the job.

GEO.

Just found the answer and works great. adjustable float so simple just tie asmall plastic drinking bottle with fishing line near the hose head joiner and to set effect,fill or empty bottle for right bouyancy so easy mine is now moving and flat on the floor and goes over the the stat plug now no problem. Sandy was on the right track as this has been an issue for years. EASY FIX.

Sharon P.

I increased the pump speed slightly and hasn't missed a beat since - needed more suction.

Peter
Peter

Why does my new shark floar

K2DL

Our unit was working well before but now the hammer gets clogged with large or folded leaves or gumnut like seeds which accumulate in the sides of the hammer. This happens very often (sometimes within a few minutes of clearing the debris from the hammer) so the cleaner just ends up not moving a lot of the time. Any suggestions on whether something can be done to address this problem? Or do we need to get a different cleaner?

Simba9313
Simba9313

I had the same. Replace the oscillating flapper.. costs about $20…

K2DL

thanks, got it and working well now. Didn't think needed since the old one didn't look that degraded

Neil G.
Neil G.

Had the same issue. Replaced the flapper or oscillator as the old one had a bit of wear and tear. Solved the problem instantly.

Robyn s

I have a new Olga hammerhead and need to extend beyond 10 hose lengths. I have spares from my old zodiac but they do not fit together. What do I do.

Sandy

I am using an old Kreepy Krauly hose with a few hose segments that came with the Onga Hammerhead. All have 38 mm nominal diameter, so they fit together ok. If you are trying to reuse an old 32 mm hose, you look for a 32 mm to 38 mm hose cuff adapter. Alternatively, spare Onga hose segments are available (but expensive).

Robyn s

Thank you. I have just measured the creepy crawly hoses which are not that old. They are 38mm. The new hammerhead hose is a smaller diameter. I found some unused fittings in my box of tricks, used a different elbow into the skimmer box, used the non hammerhead hoses at the skimmer box end and joined the two different hoses together with a fitting in the box of tricks. So far so good. Hope it keeps going. Cheers

wayne clarkemate
wayne clarkemate

my Hammer head has been the best pool cleaner I have ever had-it is now about 5 years old and still is working-except it has started to roll over on its side and just dosent move--I purchased a new skirt about 5 months ago and all was going fine. --any one can help??

Chris7
Chris7

Hi Wayne, I have not had that problem with mine, and I agree it is the best I've ever had. I have a vague idea that it has a balance on it somewhere, that determines how high it climbs the wall, and how it lands.. Have you asked the company or the supplier? We have Kewba Pools on the Central Coast NSW and they can often answer my questions. Maybe ask some local pool shops. I hope you can get it sorted. It is frustrating when things like that happen. There is probably a simple fix because its a good product.
Chris

Karl H.
Karl H.

Has anyone compared the Onga Hammerhead with the Onga BullShark? The selling point for the Bullshark is that you don't need to replace diaphrams. Is this a big problem with the Hammerhead? Thanks for your help.

keeps turning over

Tim

Is it climbing the wall first
Might need to add a weight on the hose
And do you have right hose attached to the head it’s the blue on it’s more flexible

Lesley

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I have the hose that came with it, it just flips over all the time now, never did it before.

Lesley

Not climbing the wall first.

Lesley

Correction: It is climbing the wall ?

Ken D.
Ken D.

Seal keeps coming off was replaced last year do I need to replace again with wear pad?

Anne A
Anne A

Just bought an Onga Hammerhead. Had one before with no problems but this one doesn't want to work - went for a few minutes and then stopped. There are lots of bubbles coming out of the return lines so could air be getting in?
Does the leader hose just connect straight onto the head? It does not seem to go on tight enough and the head falls off, so that may be where there is a problem with air? What is the solution here.
Appreciate any suggestions, am just so fed up with trying to get cleaners to work, and now this !!

Tim

The darker blue house goes to the head it’s more flexible if it’s loose and starts climbing the walls then yes it will probably air

Trudy

Does the adjustable regulator valve need to be fully submerged or can it sit half way out of water

Grant

The small "flap" that the adjuster knob stiffens or releases to control the flow needs to be below the waterline. If it's not it will suck air into the filter system. The adjuster knob can sit out of the water.

Thank you Grant.
I got it all sorted on my own.... working like a champion now. I was very proud of myself haha

Ross P

The Hammerhead in my concrete pool regularly comes up the side of the pool and stops above the waterline, sucking air for about 30 secs. until it falls back into the water and does nothing until the air goes through the system and begins to function normally again. Any ideas on how I can fix this ?

Grant

This is usually what happens when there's too much suction. Use your flow gauge to check. To reduce the amount of suction, turn the adjustable regulator valve until the suction is within the "Maximum" and "Minimum" range.

Ross P

Ok,thanks Grant.I'll adjust that & see if it behaves itself. Im new to this pool maintenance thing so its a bit of a learning curve.

rockyah
rockyah

Hey Ross. Adjusting suction didn't seem to help mine. Instead I've now put one of the provided weights onto the first piece of hose closest to the suction head and it about 95% successful with the out of water issue now very rare. Its a bit of trial and error to find the right spot on the piece of hose.

Geoffas

The triangular wedge that oscillates to move my Aldi cleaner has split. The size is 85mm long by 45mm wide by30mm high. Have searched everywhere. Any ideas where I might get a new one?

Geoffas

The triangular wedge that oscillates has split. it is roughly 85mm by 45mm wide by 35mm high.

Brett Syd
Brett Syd

Can anyone tell me where the magnet is? The one that takes it straight to the corner of the stairs where it gets stuck and does nothing. Tried shortening hose, weights, diverted and still useless other that making the corner it always stays in very good

Saltneil
Saltneil

My pool cleaner does not sit flat at the base of the pool and have mucked about a bit with the weights but can't get it to sit flat and not angled up while cleaning. Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Lelley
Lelley

Mine too ... wish I had a solution driving me crazy

Carlos F.
Carlos F.

Me too! Doesn't move, tried everything. Checked suction level and it's fine. Nothing appears worn. It is like a weight in the head has fallen out and it's no longer balanced

GEO.

Go to fourth answer from top of page geo comment also sandy.
Lesley and carlos

Paul Clark
Paul Clark

Our Onga hammerhead is 5 years old now and the skirt has started to fall off. Nothing looks broken, probably just wear and tear. Do we need to replace the skirt or wear foot pad? Thanks, Fiona

blair r
blair r

I'm having the same problem, would be nice to know which part to replace.

GEO.

Need to just replace skirt as over the years they strech some what.

marcus F.
marcus F.

I have a 15 m by 2.5 pool. I have put the hammerhead in and it works perfectly, for a short while, then it stops moving. It looks as though the flap is not sitting flush on the bottom. I have read putting weights on it but not keen to do that. It looks like it is working as it is jolting but it doesnt move. I then have to go and move it and it works for a while and then gets stuck again. Help!

Get an answer from our members and Onga representatives