Optimum for Adult Dogs

Optimum for Adult Dogs

See the Best Dog Foods in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Maze007

Maze007Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Very sick German shepherd

Bought this as we were in between shipments of Blackhawk but $4,000 later, very much regret it. My big beautiful GSD is still at the vet hospital and has been there since Wednesday (its now Saturday). He was vomiting, listless, fatigued, had breathing issues, drinking heaps of water, not eating and couldnt poo so we went straight to vet. After many xrays, surgery (thinking he had an obstruction) due to intestines full of gas, hes now a lot better. Antibiotics have been amazing however his respiratory rate is still high. Hopefully pick him up tomorrow (Sunday) as we miss him terribly. Do not buy this dog food!

Purchased in October 2019 at Coles.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

Elizabeth B.

Elizabeth B.Sydney, NSW

Optimum dry dog food lite

I fed this dry dog food to my cattle dog and she was howling, pacing and then vomiting each time. After three days of this I realised that it was this disgusting dog food that was causing the problem. Dont buy Optimum for your dogs.

Purchased in September 2019 at Woolworths Physical store.

Unhappy  customer

Unhappy customer

Not worth the worry

Tried twice even smallest amount she ended up with shocking diarrhoea, sorry the penny didn't click earlier, not good food for my girl..cannot believe Dr.Chris Brown has put his name to it.

Purchased in September 2019 at Woolworths Physical store.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Nat

Nat

Dog vomitted and had diarrhea

My dog consistently vomits and has diarrhea after eating food from Optimum. I'm sorry to my dog that it took me so long to connect the dots, but after trial and error we have decided definitely that his stomach upsets are caused by Optimum food. After reading the reviews, I cannot believe this product is still on the shelves. Please do not buy this for your dogs.

Sheila

Sheila

shocked to read the reviews, curious as to why my dog suddenly has itchy red skin and paws

I switched from Supercoat to Optimum as I thought it was better quality and my dog far prefers the taste.
My eight year old staff cross with a cast iron stomach and never ill started licking her belly a couple of weeks after the switch. It's very red and now her paws are itchy too.
No other apparent cause. After reading the reviews I will throw it out and switch back as it's getting worse by the week.
Will be interested to see if it goes away.

Purchased in July 2019.

Rufus

RufusMurray Mallee, SA

Not the right formula for our dog.

Our dog has sensitive skin and also suffers from severe reflux. This brand of dog food has not abated her reflux, so we have stopped buying it. Wont buy again.

Purchased in August 2019 at Woolworths for $30.00.

Mark F.

Mark F.Mid North Coast, NSW

Dog started vomiting after first meal

Bought the Adult all breed beef, veg and rice. Found vomit down stairs. Thought it was for other reasons. Two days later, found vomit piles all around garden. Why is this product still on shelves in Coles after sooo many poor ratings? Shame on the promoter.

Purchased in August 2019 at Coles Supermarkets for $29.00.

J and T Smith

J and T SmithSouth West, WA

Our dog loves his food

Our 4 year old black lab cross border collie has been on Optimum biscuits since we got him at 10 weeks old. We cook up chicken mince with lots of veggies and put biscuits with it at night time and he loves it. Even without the chicken mince and veggies he still eat it. He always has a great amount of energy, coat looks shiny and he hasn't had any issues with digestion or anything. We love how the biscuits come in different flavours so he doesn't get the same thing all of the time. We purchase the large 15kg bags which last up to 12 weeks!

Purchased in May 2019.

Just rubbish

Fed this food to my two kelpies both ended up very sick! Vomiting, distrested, breathing problems, swollen eyes. Will not be buying this product again. It took a long time for my dogs to recover

Purchased in March 2019.

Jetta

JettaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

DON'T LET YOUR DOG SUFFER

Changed to Optimum tonight. Within two hours was at the vet with a very sick dog. Lethargic, drooling, swollen eyes, breathing problems, wind, distressed. $350 later Throwing the rest out !! Never again.

Purchased in July 2019 at Coles for $3.75.

bucket

bucketMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

This brand is rubbish

Purchased in June 2019 at Munno Para Foodland for $27.00.

Very disappointing

My 3 little mini foxy’s couldn’t stomach this product it gave my dogs a very bad upset stomach, my oldest he’d be stretching or (pray position) every second and very bad diarrhoea also vomiting and hour after ingesting it. For one dog to get sick, Ok Rare but all three!

Purchased in May 2019 at Woolworths for $14.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

boofzz

boofzzSouth East Queensland, QLD

My dog not happy Jan.

Started feeding my border collies this food, unfortunately it gave one of my dogs the runs. Cooked up pumpkin & white rice to settle his stomach down. away. I did start my dog on this food again after a break but my dog had a upset stomach again The food has a odd odour so I`ll throw the remainder away. Not recommended.

Purchased in March 2019 at Coles Supermarkets for $28.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult

Emma

EmmaCentral West, NSW

Optimum 100gm Adult Trays

My dogs absolutely hate these trays! We have tried every variety and not one variety is accepted! Such a shame as this is apparently one of the better tray varieties you can buy at a supermarket. I like that the ingredients are fairly transparent (eg. Chicken, Salmon;) rather then ambiguous listings like: 'meats including chicken,beef and/or mutton and/or pork' (who knows what mixture of meats you are getting! Horse meat? Meats from decaying carcasses brought to rendering plants? ) like other brands out there so that was a selling point for me. Anyways its probably better for my dogs if I just home cook a nice fresh meaty human grade topper type meal for topping on my dogs dry foods, they like this better then any trays out there.

Purchased in March 2019 at Woolworths for $14.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Matt S

Matt SGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Good for supermarket brand

I've fed my Golden Retriever Optimum dry food (and Advance) for the last 12 years - always a healthy weight, no health problems or any food generated issues (eating/chewing/passing wind/constipation) While my dog is getting on in age, she still has a beautiful coat, is constantly referred to as looking like a puppy, and during checkups confirmed as a very healthy dog.

NOTE: This isn't' the best dog food in terms of ingredients etc, but has been fine for me in a pinch ducking to supermarket.

Purchased in January 2019 at Coles Supermarkets for $24.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageSenior

scootergirlSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible customer service.

My dog actually did not like the beef biscuits he did like the chicken but not that much. So with the product guarantee I had spent the past 3 days corresponding with optimum on Facebook. As well as leaving several msg on the phone. I was told finally 3 days later on Facebook that they already have processed the reimbursement. Yet I was not informed and had not given out my.address to them. So I have no idea where the actual reimbursement is going.

Customer service is just a complete waste of time.

Purchased in February 2019 at Woolworths Online store for $12.00.

Smell
Pet's Life StageAdult
Side Effects No

It gave my dog dermatitis

While I was away on holiday my son bought this brand instead of the usual one. After a few days the dog started licking one of her paws continuously and lost her fur in a small area. I thought it could be the new food, switched back to the previous one and she stopped licking after two days. She recovered in one week.

My dog almost died

I’m not one to write reviews (good or bad) but I’m making an exception to review this dreadful product. We have two dogs (2 & 3) and have always fed them premium dog food, usually from the vet. We recently swapped them over (gradually) to Optimum Adult (all breeds) which made both of our dogs very sick with ongoing vomiting and diarrhoea. They both now have (blood test proven) pancreatitis and we almost lost the youngest this week due to a particularly bad episode. I too am appalled that this product is still on the market - this shouldn’t be allowed to happen. I guess I only have myself to blame as I fell for a celebrity vet endorsement (how could he!) without doing due diligence.

Marijana

Marijana

Poison

My breeder recommended this food, my poodle was on this for 8 months and didn’t put on weight, she was always hungry and is skin and bones. She was vomiting the whole time, as soon as I took her off this rubbish food she stopped vomiting. I am so angry that my dog is so skinny and sick from this rubbish dog food. Don’t buy this rubbish, even the vet confirmed that this puppy food has no protein or nutrition. This food is full of grains and just off cuts of the animals, so the rubbish parts of the animal. Shame on you optimum. My poor dog is sick because of you. You should be shut down!!!!!! Poison rubbish food!!!!!!

Windy.

Gave my 3 shi tzus bad wind problems, kept the visitors away

Paul R.

Paul R.asked

Why not just put a big scull and crossbones on the packaging. What is this poison you call dog food. Shame on you Optimum.I have had the worst week,all over dry dog food. I am going to tell anyone who will listen about your very dangerous brand of food.

Michealina

Michealinaasked

I have read some bad reviews. Is This food safe because I have just purchased a bag off chicken puppy dry food . Now I am worried , she is a tiny puppy. Haven’t given her any yet. She has been on ivory coat .i don’t wont anything to happen to her.are all these bad reviews true.

Elaine S.
Elaine S.

I feed pups on Optimum Puppy and adults on Optimum Grain Free chicken and vegetable. I have been using it for years and had no problems. Like humans, our dogs all have things they are not able to tolerate, but in general, everyone I have spoken to that uses Optimum, and most of my puppy owners continue to feed them the Puppy food, they are all very happy with it. Just transition your baby onto her new food slowly and see how she goes.

Michealina

Michealinaasked

I am concerned about the bad reviews . Because I have purchased a bag off chicken dry food for my 9 week old Maltese x sich tzu. And am thinking off starting her on this when she finishes her bag off ivory coat .Because the company has been bough by China. And thought that this being a Australian brand would be best .is there any truth off dogs getting sick eating Optimum.I don’t want my puppy get sick .advice if I should not give it to her.

scootergirl

My dog never got sick from it he just never liked it

Get an answer from our members and Optimum representatives

CategoryDog Foods