Oricom Secure870 Touchscreen

Oricom Secure870 Touchscreen

MPN: SC870

This monitor is unreliable

I bought this unit thinking i would use it for 2 kids. It has all the bells and whistles, and appeared to have all the functionality items I needed. Unfortunately it has been the biggest waste of money I have spent on any baby product. I have already contacted Oricom on a couple occasions and they have sent replacements both times. I have wasted money on postage sending the rubbish monitor back to get these replacements as there is no baby bunting where I live. If I used the reply paid, there is no tracking and I’m not forking out more money if it gets lost in transit! So my problems haven’t gone away, with my current replacement unit the cry alert is unreliable, the battery doesn’t last at all so I can only use it plugged in. But it doesn’t actually charge properly and I often wake at night to it beeping even though its on the base apparently charging! I made the mistake of buying a 2nd camera so both cameras now disconnect or are out of range and beeping when I’m 5-10m away! This often happens at night (it lights up and beeps when I’m asleep) and takes a long time to reconnect. The temp on both will go from the true room temp to beeping ‘too hot’ randomly then stop and show the true temp again. The screen on monitor goes a coloured stripey and I can’t even see my kids! I am beyond disappointed at the poor quality of such a highly priced product. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone. The thing is, my daughter loves the stars feature on ceiling, at least that still works!

Purchased at Baby Bunting for $510.00.

Battery Life
Hi Vic, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would love to further discuss with you. If you could please give our locally based Oricom Support a call, we will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Horrible

The cord is so flimsy and crap.. it fell off the cot and because it’s so heavy broke the insert part where the cord goes in.. so now the USB cord doesn’t sit it and it won’t turn on, we haven’t even had it that long I’m so upset and disappointed

Purchased at Baby Bunting for $500.00.

Hi Tarz, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would love to discuss this with you. Could you please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist you in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care,

Disappointing product.

Just bought this today and excited to use it. We had the oricom 710 and loved it but wanted a second camera and a nice later model. Big mistake. The data states 300m which is twice then the 710 and it constantly lost reception where the 710 had full reception and that was only at 10m away from the room. Blurry picture compared to the 710. Talking it back in the morning to baby bunting. Very disappointed.

Purchased for $400.00.

Battery Life
Hi Lee, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would ask that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call to discuss. Please call 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist you in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Not great

I recently bought the 870 with the babysense breathing pads and an additional camera and I’m not happy with it which is so disappointing after spending a huge amount. I have a 2.5yo and a 3mth old and changed to this unit from an angecare I used for my son for 2.5years that didn’t skip a beat as I wanted a second camera.

I really don’t understand the design of the cry alerts. Its a terrible idea and Oricom should really re-think this strange system. Why on earth does this monitor not have VOX?? My babies room is close by and when the unit is on ‘mute’ (so we don’t have to listen to white noise all night) the ‘cry alert’ should apparently activate when my baby cries...well we can hear her from our room before the monitor reacts at all....totally useless! There is no way to adjust the sensitivity of the ‘cry altert’ and it seems my baby would need to be screaming before it would activate? It then vibrates or beeps and shows me a msg on screen? (If it worked) Huh? Not great to be woken by a beep in the night to read a message on screen. I just want to listen to her so I can assess if I need to go right in or wait like every other VOX system. This also means I need to leave the sound and screen on all the time to hear her therefore draining the battery instead of being able to use a VOX setting.

It has also dropped out of range randomly throughout the middle of the night (both cameras) and woken me up with a beep ‘out of range’ alert when both my kids were sound asleep....their rooms are 3m from mine and apparently that is too far?? Not great to be woken up extra times by the baby monitor!

These two problems I count as massive faults on a baby monitor. The entire purpose is to view and hear your baby to give you peace of mind. If I am being woken by ‘drop out’ alerts and yet can’t hear my baby make noises until hysterical due to lack of sensitivity adjustment what is the point of this system?

Built in white noise is ok, certainly not worth the $$ for that. The design of the white noise also need work as it shouldn’t have a pause in audio while it loops when on ‘repeat’ setting. The purpose of using white noise is to have a continuous uninterrupted background noise running. Built in light show is not that great because your monitor is usually near a wall and the light show only points up in 1 direction so it’s partially obscured by the wall not showing on the ceiling. No way to adjust this. Quality of video is poor/average, nothing special.

I rang customer service as I couldn’t find the vox setting only to be told the ‘cry alert’ is the only setting and it’s not adjustable. So no solution.

Extremely disappointed.

Update: I have now used this monitor for over a year and still really regret the purchase but had already forked out all the money so I’m stuck with it. Battery doesn’t last long at all. Our baby sleeps with white noise every night and we have to leave the monitor audio on so we have to listen to the white noise every night. As mentioned the only other option is to use the ‘cry alert’ feature which doesn’t activate until she is screaming - useless. We bought a separate white noise machine so it can be a bit further from the monitor - if you have the white noise on the monitor running you hear it very loudly on the parent unit. So the built in white noise feature is also useless.

We haven’t used the 2nd camera at all as it was faulty from the get go with dropouts. They have agreed to swap it for a new one which is good. I would’ve preferred a refund but hopefully baby bunting will assist with that.

Purchased at Baby Bunting.

Battery Life
Hi Lauren, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would appreciate the opportunity to restore some faith in the Oricom Brand. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to discuss. Oricom Baby Care.

Lasted through one baby, almost.

Sadly after 15 months the camera has faulted leaving the screen green and purple and with us unable to see our baby and of course I no longer have the receipt. I’ll be purchasing a different brand that will hopefully last as $300 odd dollars should last longer than it has.

Hi Simone, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and importantly, the range of Oricom video and audio monitors include a 3 year warranty. We would suggest that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Waste of money

The range says 100m but it drops out after 10m in my small house. The cords which attach to the camera and the base unit via USB ports are really flimsy and fall out and bend at the slightest touch. I had to replace them with USB cords from other items in my house multiple times but they still fall out of the socket all the time. The camera is really heavy which makes it really hard to move around to different places and set up when you have a newborn that falls asleep everywhere. The camera died at 9 months use, it just suddenly started turning off in the middle of naps even though it was affixed at that point so hadn’t been dropped to initiate the breakdown. I ended up buying a $90 replacement from amazon that does everything this one does and had amazing reviews. The camera and base unit are light as a feather (I can even stick the camera on the wall with sticky tape) and the range works perfectly, no drop outs in the whole house. The oricom is a massive waste of money.

Hi there, thanks for the message. The listed range of the Secure870 is 300m is optimal conditions and when measured in line of sight. It sounds like an environmental factor could be playing a role in the reduction in range. To discuss this and the other feedback provided, could you please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.Unfortunately I, like most people, do not live in an open field. I live in a normal brick terrace home in Sydney. If your product does not work in a small brick home, it is not a functioning product. There are no environmental issues, especially given my new monitor works perfectly. You will see many other reviews stating the same issues with your product.Hi Cruz, if you would like to discuss, please give us a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Features don't even work!

We received the Oricom 870 as a baby shower gift. It did not work at all - didn't alert us when the baby cried or made noises (meaning the screen didn't turn on, it didn't beep, it didn't vibrate and you couldn't even HEAR if the baby was crying). Pretty much was used as a $359 night light.

We then received a replacement - at least with the replacement monitor we could hear the baby cry. But the monitor doesn't "beep and vibrate" despite the setting being chosen. The vibrate feature doesn't work at all as we have never felt or heard it.

Comparing this to our old Oricom 710 - it lacks on the basic features of what a baby monitor needs to do. The 710 is actually reliable, vibrates and screen turns on when the baby cries. You can even select the temperature setting of when you want to be alerted. One of the best things is that if the baby makes noises (or even background environment noises happen) the screen will turn on and alert you - then it will AUTO turn the screen off once the noise stops (or you can do it yourself).

Whereas the 870 - once the screen turns on, it stays on unless you press the screen off button. So if you forget, it will just run the battery requiring a recharge because it loses battery pretty fast when this happens. I don't know why the auto screen off feature once noises stop is not included in this model but is included in the older ones.

Another annoying thing is that you can't set the temperature alerts yourself like you could in the 710. It is pre-programmed and the screen will turn on constantly even when you dismiss the alert, again draining the battery. Also, I don't think when they pre-programmed the monitor this way they took into account the fact that sometimes you can't change the temperature of the room to be less than 27 degrees because you might not have access to an air-conditioner.

The ONLY thing I like about it over the old 710 is the motorised pan-tilt feature. Other than that - the old 710 is actually better as all of it's features work, is more customisable and parent-friendly. We already have so many things to remember as parents - we don't need to add remembering to press the screen off button so the monitor doesn't drain to be added to the list!

Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and will ensure that this feedback is passed on for future product development. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

The image on Screen turn purple and green

We have purchased Oricom 870 and it works OK for less than 6 months.. now and only after 6 months we started seeing purple and green lines in the screen. The line gradually grow to where we can not see the bub at all!
I contacted oricom support and it went straight to the voicemail asking me to leave my message! they didn't even bother to set up a proper call centre.. I am still waiting for their call to check if they respond at all and how they handle this issue. From other treats on here I worry we will end up without a monitor just days after we move the bub to his room.

Later we have been contacted by oricom and they have sent us a replacement cameraHi Paris, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and glad that Oricom Support have been able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Frustrating

1st one - The lullaby feature lasted 7 days before it died. Didn't even get the chance to see or use any of the other features. Sent it back to baby bunting who had it with them for a week and gave us an old model to use in the mean time. The old one with a cracked screen worked better than the new one.
2nd one - Baby bunting replaced the 1st one we had because Oricom couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. The 2nd one worked well then tried using the cry alert feature. Did as per the instructions, had the controller on mute etc etc. Heard our baby crying in the other room.... nothing from the monitor. No alert, nothing but black screen. My wife this time went direct to Oricom and while on the phone to them had little bub yelling in the other room. Told them directly that the cry alert didn't work and could barely hear him even when the volume was on full blast. The only way to watch him was litterally do that, watch him on the screen and watch as the battery drained rapidly. She took it back to baby bunting as suggested by Oricom, got a replacement on the spot.
3rd one - guess what...... cry alerts don't work. Screemed as loud as possible into the camera mic, no alert. Tried it with little bub... thought he was fast asleep turned on the screen only to see him wriggling, turned it off mute only to hear him screaming... nice one Oricom.
That's the last straw, your product is about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. For anyone reading this, save your money and DONT buy this useless junk. You're better off buying a cheaper option that actually works.
I want my money back please!!!

Hi Jed, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would love the opportunity to restore some faith in the Oricom Brand. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.Hi Oricom, I've noticed a trend here and it seems you have a copy paste solution to everything by replying the same thing to every issue. You can't restore my faith in your product. Either upgrade us to a newer, more improved model or arrange for a refund so that I can buy a better camera that will do what I need it to do.Hi Jed, please privately message through your best contact number and a convenient time to receive a call and Oricom Support will be in touch to resolve this with you. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Love this Baby Monitor

We spent a long time looking for a baby monitor, read a lot of reviews and looked at many baby sops until we decided to invest in the Oricom secure870.
We have not been disappointed, this baby monitor does it all!
Apart from obvious of monitoring our baby, this device does many other helpful things. The screen for a start is a good size and the monitor has the capability of zooming in and playing a light show, playing music (classical, white noise, womb sounds and nature), it has a night light and can alert when baby is crying, also alerting when room is too hot or cold (both these functions can be turned off if needed). Although we didn't use it it can also be set to alarm for feed times. There is also the ability to use parent talk and speak remotely to our baby.
It can be moved remotely up down and side to side from the base station

Highly recommend!!!

Hi Ally, thanks for the message. We really appreciate the review and you taking the time to let others know of your experience with the Secure870. We wish you all the best with your future use. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Not really what I expected

Edit to review from July 2018:

I have the second monitor as the first one didn’t work properly and was exchanged. The issues with the monitor being used on its one is solved. But still, the cry alert is NOT working... Bub is sleeping in our bedroom atm so I don’t need to use the screen that often, but every time we are sitting outside and have the screen with us it wouldn’t notify us, thank god we can hear him without monitor and can go and check. For me it is the whole point of a baby monitor to alarm you, when your baby is crying - and it fails in that point!
The other thing is that it always shows a warning of trhe Temperature being to high, which is not the case as the air on is running in the sleeping room on hot nights/days

Wouldn’t recommend this monitor at all... you can get cheaper light and sound machines, that’s the only thing that works well!

This was my review from July, 2018 - the monitor got swooped

I bought the monitor a couple of months back because I really liked the idea of having the night light and playing music as well.
Unfortunately the monitor (screen thing) has to be turned on to get those features, if not linked to the screen it will turn itself off. I went to where I bought it and was told that it is working just fine and that’s the way it is. In my opinion it is a bit annoying that i can’t just play white noise without having the screen turned on (eg if screen thingy is still in the sleeping room I have to get it to turn the monitor on and play music).
Also the cry alert is not working at all. I haven’t got one single alert yet and we are going through teething so there is a lot of crying.
I really like the sounds, starry night and night light but other than that I’m quite disappointed of this monitor and wouldn’t buy it again or recommend it.

Hi Steph, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would love to assist in resolving this with you. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Poor sound quality and range

After already replacing the camera once, the new one constantly loses connection and makes an irritating beeping noise that wakes the baby. The sound quality is poor and the visual on the screen is blurred. I would not buy this product again, it is not worth the amount of money we paid for it. Would love a refund.

Hi Nico, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and assure you that the mentioned issues are out of the ordinary. The range issue could be being caused by an environmental factor, and there may be a simple solution to fix this. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, as the team will be able to assist in resolving each of the listed issues. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Perfect, easy to use, great visualisation and many functions

Love this monitor. Screen is clear and the camera can give complete view of the entire room. Audio and picture quality are excellent and parent unit was very easy to pair with the cameras

Also while I’m here I want to praise and thank support team member Matt for giving such wonderful customer service. I’ve been an Oricom monitor customer for many years and will continue to be for many more not only because I love the product but because I am so pleased with the customer support/service I received from Matt

Hi Cass, thanks for the review and for the feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to let others know and we will be sure to pass the feedback directly to Oricom Support. All the best, Oricom Baby Care

The BEST baby item you'll buy!

I just want to say how much I love this monitor. I wasn't sure if I needed one with a camera but I'm so glad I have it! I recommend this to anyone. The music, star gazing and night light are some of the many special touches that make this monitor amazing. All those things are helping our boy sleep through the night. The temperature reading is really helpful. The monitor is easy to use and can function with a second camera on split screen. Amazing!!! Thanks oricom

Hi Bec, thanks for the message and review. We thank you for providing the feedback on the Secure870 and appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experience. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Good product

Quality is good and a lot of options with music timers and heaps of features which is great, it’s easy to use and clear camera, only down side I would say is the portable monitor just dies quickly, otherwise everything else is great and would be happy to recommend this product.

Hi Jacqueline, thanks for the review. We were glad to hear of your experience with the features of the Secure870, but sorry to hear of the battery issue. We would love to discuss this with you, so please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Love my monitor :)

This product is very easy to use and has so many great features.

My little one sleeps great with the sound tracks playing and the night light is perfect for those night time feeds. The camera is very clear and certainly gives this first time mum piece of mind being able to watch my little one sleep from another room. I have also used the star light show feature on occasion to calm my baby at night as she lays in her bassinet and watches the light show - very pretty. Definitely recommend this product :)

Hi Leah, thanks for the message. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and for letting others know of your experience with the Secure870. All the best, Oricom Baby Care

Great product

This monitor is exactly as described. The functions work well and it has not failed me yet. My son is 4 months old and we use it every night. My sister has the same monitor and has loved it since she's had it too. She has had some issues with Oricon products before however every time she's contacted the team they have either fixed or replaced her product easily with no fuss. This made me confident in buying the products and would definitely do so again

Hi Meg, thanks for the message and for sharing your experience with the Oricom brand. We wish you all the best with your future Oricom product use. Oricom Baby Care

Low quality, poor features, very disappointing.

Considering that we bought this as the 'top of the line' after a BRUEs scare, it's incredibly disappointing.

Lack of features:
*Can't rotate between different sets of sound tracks
*Can't skip certain tracks in a set, in the event that your baby dislikes one of the sounds (for us it was the vacuum)
*Base has insufficient grip for the weight of the camera, so often when you're rotating the camera, it remains still and the base rotates beneath it.
*Camera module has no battery power whatsoever

Poor quality:
*Cry detector doesn't detect crying. He could be screaming and it won't go off. Oh, but it goes off when I yawn or laugh. Not when bub yawns or laughs though.
*Star show isn't very colourful, and the colour fades with very little use. No idea how it was built, but it wasn't built to last.
*Star show has option to remain on without timer, but still shuts off. During shutoff, it turns off instantly, instead of gradually (the way it works when it turns on). Shutting off suddenly keeps waking the baby.
*In-built speakers seem to be degrading rapidly. They sounded 'ok' at first, but now they sound very tinny and have very little clarity.
*Battery life on the monitor doesn't last very long, and gets worse and worse very quickly.
*Monitor wireless connection is incredibly flimsy. There's only a few meters and one thin wall between us and the baby, and it randomly hops between 5 bars and being disconnected entirely. We've checked stuff like our Wi-fi, and it's just a garbage receiver on the monitor unit.
*Camera is fairly blurry, with a poor frame rate. It seems to be getting blurrier too, particularly when using the IR lighting.

I hear a lot of people getting rapid replacements, but that's not a solution. It's not a good product if it just has to be replaced. Oricom need to fix its issues, recall extant units, and replace them so that they don't just go dodgy after a few weeks/months. Really disappointed.

Hi Jon, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss these with you and troubleshoot the issues with you to have the unit working for you as designed. We would ask that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to discuss these issues with you. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Was great, 8wks later, not so much :(

Loved it when we got it home, easy to set up, easy to use. Annoying that you can’t see just two videos at once and you have to look at two blank squares (using in only 2 rooms you can’t see them side by side), but we can deal with that.
We’ve only had it 9 weeks and it keeps losing signal. It’s in the base in the exact same spot it always is. The monitors are in their exact same spot and yet it beeps at me and tells me it’s lost connection and trying to relink.
So frustrating when there is no reason for it.

Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and it sounds like there could be an environmental factor playing a role in the reduction in range. For this one, we would suggest that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist in troubleshooting the issue with you and will work to provide you with a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Poor video quality, poor range

For this price range I would expect a better quality picture, our friends have an Angelcare monitor which has a lot clearer picture and it’s a bit embarrassing that we paid so much for a lesser quality product to be honest. The connection to the camera goes from full signal to nothing and drops out for a few seconds constantly, the camera and monitor are only 10m apart with 2 walls between, I could just about monitor the baby myself from that distance. Would not recommend spending your hard earned on this product, have a look around for something better if you’re looking in this price range. UPDATE- Sent to Oricom and it came back the same, the more basic monitor we got for a loan monitor worked better. As I say, look for other options in this price range.

Hi Micko, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would love to discuss with you to have the unit working as it should. It sounds like there could be an environmental factor that is playing a role in the reduction in range, and so we would suggest that you give Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST as the team will be able to troubleshoot the issue with you and will work to provide you with a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.Thanks of your message. We have been there and done that, unplugged our wifi network etc and it just seems this model isn't capable of the range from one room to another in our house. The Oricom loan monitor we had whilst we sent this one back was capable but this one isn't up to the job.Hi Micko, thanks for the message. We would love to continue to discuss the issue, so please give us another call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, and we will be able to further assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.