MPN: SC870

Great features. Drops out too easily

This monitor and cameras have great features and are very easy to use.
However:
-I wish you could turn the sound down more.
-I wish you could lower the brightness further.
-it drives me crazy as it constantly drops out from the second camera. When it drops out, the monitor makes a loud beep. This can happen anytime and is especially annoying if it’s the middle of the night or if I’m in the baby’s room trying to get him back to sleep. I have had the camera replaced and it didn’t fix anything.

Purchased in January 2019 at Baby Bunting.

Battery Life
Hi Amber, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of the issues mentioned, and would like to assist you in these. Could you please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist you in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Great functions, if only it worked

I bought this monitor several months ago from baby bunting. It has loads of extra features which is why we bought it. The first monitor however had issues with battery life, within the first week the battery would only last 1.5 hours when fully charged. Also despite the advertised long range, the monitor would drop out in the next room. I returned to baby bunting who replaced the monitor with a new one. When I moved my son to his own room a few months later, we started to use the monitor at night however the night vision was very poor, completely black screen. Also the cry alerts didn't work. I again returned to baby bunting for a credit note and got a different brand monitor altogether.

Purchased in December 2018 at Baby bunting for $289.00.

Battery Life
Hi Naomi, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience with the product and assure you that this is out of the ordinary. We would recommend calling Oricom Support to discuss the issues experienced, as often simple environmental factors can play a role. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Unfortunately constant faults

I got this unit and we loved it and its features, based on that I would have recommended it. after about 7 months the battery started running out when not on charger after about 45 mins.. doesnt work for babies that nap longer than taht. Oricom was awesome and replaced. Unfortunately the second unit is about 4 months old and the max time is about two hours now, and it has progressively gotten worse and I fear this will continue to get worse still. We go to bed minimum 3 hours before bub so we are having to bring charger into lounge, tad annoying. Iv contemplated returning again but truly who can be bothered knowing it will likely happen again. Have recommended to people asking me what I use to perhaps try something else unfortunately.

Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would love to assist. Could you please give us another call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. Please quote any prior reference number and the team will troubleshoot and work with you to provide a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Could be better

Purchased the camera monitor set and then a second camera and the range for the camera isn't very good. The battery life only lasts for a max of 3 hours on my monitor before having to put on charge. Needs to be updated so you can turn the camera on wirelessly, so if you have a power outage, you don't have to go into the sleeping child's room to turn camera back on or it should have a battery back up in this situation.
Also the light show burns out and colours fade extremely quick which is annoying when your child likes watching it when going to bed and doesn't work properly.
It does the job, but not too happy with the price I paid for what I got.

Purchased in December 2017 for $480.00.

Battery Life
Hi Sarah-Jane, thanks for the message. We appreciate the review and feedback and wish you all the best with your future use. Oricom Baby Care.

We love our monitor! It's a must-have!

We cannot be more pleased with our Oricom Secure 870 Touchscreen Monitor! We particularly love the high quality across screen visual and the ability to tilt camera to better view where required. The features it boasts are second to none, our favourite being the starry light show and array of lullabies which our little one loves! The parent talk back feature is very handy during sleep training as well as the room temperature which we've found incredibly helpful this winter! Super reliable machine, took only moments to set up, we couldn't be more satisfied! :)

Purchased in July 2019.

Battery Life
Hi Nadine, thanks for the message. We appreciate the feedback and wish you all the best with your future use. Oricom Baby Care.

Beeping driving us mad

The best features about the monitor are the extras like lullabies, nightlight and lightshow but it’s all majorly let down by how hopeless the range is. We have had the monitor beeping ‘link lost’ at us every night for weeks (in a relatively small space) and we have no choice but to buy another monitor after the Oricom troubleshooting support had no answers for us. The battery life is also average. Avoid this monitor and get one with a much more reliable range.

Purchased for $300.00.

Battery Life
Hi Claudia, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and it sounds like an environmental factor is playing a role in the reduction in range. Often, a very simple change will make a world of difference to your range, so we would suggest that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to troubleshoot the issue and will work to provide you with a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.As you can see from my review I did just that and unfortunately they couldn’t seem to help at all.

Terrible battery

Monitor is 18 months old and since about 1yr, the battery lasts maybe 15min, definitely not the 6.5hr specified on the website. Phone care to enquire and was told the battery isn’t covered in the 3 year warranty and a new battery would be $50. So this may cost you on average $50 per year to upkeep. Wouldn’t reccomend for a $350 monitor!

Purchased in November 2017 at Baby Bunting.

Battery Life
Hi there, thanks for the message. As discussed, the battery is classified as a consumable product and has a limited life of charges in its cycle. The life of the battery is attributed to the manner it which it is used. If you would like to discuss again, please give us a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.Yes, so what you're saying is, if used every night which is what it's designed for, the battery will need to be replaced about every 12 months. Terrible design for one of the most expensive monitors on the market!

Faulty! Randomly plays music & turns light on.

It randomly plays music and turns the light on & off. Not what you want when you have a sleeping baby!! Worked great for 6-7 months but now it’s too faulty to use. The battery life is also terrible. For the price I’d expect better. Disappointed.

Purchased in November 2018 at Baby Bunting Physical store.

Battery Life
Hi Chris, thanks for the message. Could you please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist you in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Terrible battery and randomly goes off and randomly starts music

It’s only about 18 months old and the battery last for less that 5 mins, can’t do anything without it being plugged in. The wiring is so dodgy that the connection gets lost all the time so it turns off and starts beeping randomly, you have to go back in the room to turn it on again. Randomly turns music on. Can’t charge it at all now. Not cheap but not good. Cameras and screen is good and clear - when working.

Purchased in December 2017.

Battery Life
Hi Lil, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would love to assist in resolving this with you. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to troubleshoot and assist you in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Turns off randomly, battery has a 5min lifetime

This monitor will randomly turn off in the night even when plugged in, i.e not using battery.
If you try and use the reciever with the battery, be prepared to hear the 'battery low' alarm from the moment you unplug it, even if fully charged, and from there it will die in 10 mins.

I wish we didn't buy this junk

Purchased in August 2018 at Baby & Toddler Town for $200.00.

Battery Life
Hi Matthew, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and for this one we would recommend that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Good features but average quality and missing some relevant controls

We have a SC870 with 2 cameras.

We live in a single level duplex, the distance from nursery to lounge room (monitor location) is circa 20 metres and while not line of sight, to cameras, I can see into the nursery from the monitor location... so its nearly line of sight. Whether using 1 camera or 2 - they drop out of range constantly, I think this is because they operate on 2400hz and its a flooded band width at best. The microwave interfears with it... seems lots of other devices might be too... its just old tech and these issues shouldn't happen anymore - seriously Oricom (very established CB radio provider) should know better. I've had to resot to trying to engineer some sort of eaxtra gain antenna to over come the issue - mixed results.

Its very annoying because the monitor unit lets out a lound "beep beep beep" for every 5 secs the camera isn't connecting. This can go on for 10 secs or up to an hour.... you can't turn that feature off all you can do is reposition the monitor closer or turn it off. Honestly, maybe I'm a bit OCD, but I'm ready to throw it against the bloody wall.

Cameras
- Overall build quality "feels" good - robust/compact.
- Pan, tilt, Zoom and picture quality is good enough
- The built in speaker is actually very good - clean clear and have a depth/bass quality you don't expect.
- Each camera has a mic feed - you you can talk to the kids like an intercom - because the speaker quality is good, it s a good representation of your voice in room. I often use this to acknowledge the kids if they start crying.
- The built in light show is a simple moon and stars pattern projected but you can't control the direction - its straight up like a narrow funnel - so you have to take that into account when positioning the camera.
- The cameras don't come with clamps/mounts and can be very easily knocked over/fall if no secured. It does have the traditional 1/4" / 6mm camera mount thread - so that workable if you want to drill into your cot.
- The temp sensor/built in thermometre is always slightly out (according to other theromoetres I have here which I trust)

Monitor / System
- Battery life on the monitor is reasonable - but not great. This is more to do with screen time - The monitor has a audio wake up feature so you can turn off screen and if the bubs make enough noise the screen turns on - we use this all the time and is a good feature. You can buy replacement battery form oricom for $50.
- The system provides a realtely large array of timers, lullabys, noises, night light and light show - we don't use everything, but I can see how many would find the features very useful. Overall pretty good suite of features.
- The hand held monitor is compact and easy to use - though not capacitive touch glass like a smart phone - its an older pressure touch type and can be a bit clunky and difficult if you have big fingers like me.

Overall
Generally a good product - a few missing features like roating camera screens when on multiple cameras. Our main gripe would be the wifi range - Very poor. 5-10mtrs is typically ok - but if you are likely to use at a distance further - its a risk of the connection failing regularly and being bombarded with constant beeping alerts. Not fun.

Purchased in December 2018 at Baby Bunting.

Battery Life
Hi Mick, thanks for the review and feedback. We appreciate your thoughts and wish you all the best with your future use. Regarding the range, the model is not Wifi and is measured up to 300m in line of sight. We would suggest that an environmental factor is playing a role in the reduction in range, and would recommend that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist you in this. Oricom Baby Care.

Amazing product when you have multiple children!!!

Amazing product- love the split screens for multiple kids.very easy to set up and images are clear! My boys love the lite show as well when they are getting ready for bed!

Purchased in July 2019.

Hi Tori, thanks for the message.We appreciate the feedback and wish you all the best with your future use. Oricom Baby Care.

Good features, terrible product

I’ve had this monitor for almost 2yrs, brought as a baby pack from baby bunting with the Smartsense2. I love the features such as the white noise and lullaby options, as well as the starry nights projector.
The first issue I noted was that the parent piece had terrible battery life, it would last about 30mins with the screen on, and about an hour with the screen off. Secondly, the camera is or terrible quality, and very unreliable, some days it will be clear and others it will be completely black. The audio quality is also not great, when on low it lets off a constant static noise.
The range on the monitor is not what it says it should be, I lose signal at about 10 meters (in the same house as the monitor).
I have tried to contact Oricom, but because a lot of these issues occurred after my warranty finished I wasn’t able to make any claims.
I won’t be using this monitor for our next baby, I will be shopping around for a better product. A shame because this is not a cheap product.

Purchased in August 2017 at Baby Bunting Physical store for $350.00.

Battery Life
Hi Nicole, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and if you would like to again discuss any of the above, please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care

Camera stopped working and Oricom refused a refund

Purchased an Oricom BS2SC870 value pack in December 2018 from Baby Bunting. After only a few weeks of use (baby was born in May 2019), camera stopped turning on when plugged into main power. Tried multiple cables (including the two that came with the unit) – but no luck.

Extremely disappointing for such an expensive device. Our strong preference was to send the whole unit back (including Babysense2) for a full refund given the major fault under ACCC guidelines - but Oricom refused. Offered a “replacement camera” and did not budge.
Do not buy this unit. Terrible customer service. Have lost a customer and many more after I share my experience.

Purchased in December 2018 at Baby Bunting Physical store for $349.00.

Battery Life
Hi there, thanks for the message. We would like to follow this up, so please give us a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST quoting any reference number, and the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.Oricom did NOT want to assist further. This was just an automated message. A quick scan of this page shows how many faults there are with this product (some people with multiple cameras in just a few months). It is shocking how they’re willing to unapologetically stand by their product given the wave of poor reviews. They claimed it was just an outlet for people to vent, and I pointed out that some of their other products (e.g. BabySense) have ratings close to 4 - reflecting that those products were better - which he couldn’t answer. I note that many people on this page have asked for a refund and have been refused. I have lodged a formal complaint with the ACCC given the major product fault as (i) it relates to babies and baby safety and (ii) Oricom unwilling to offer a refund under any circumstances which is patently illegal.

Overpriced junk

Biggest waste of money. I hate our monitor so much. Our baby's room is down the other end of the house so I specifically purchased this one for it's ability to reach over distances (it wouldn't be more than 20 metres) and also the sensitivity settings. Both are total crap. My husband tested out the sensitivity setting by screaming into it because we suspected it wasn't working. We were right. The monitor has to stay at it's charging station at all times because it cannot pick up on anything unless it's permanently docked. This is also to prevent the battery from dying constantly which happens super quickly.
The "lights" it projects are tiny and terrible. The white noise options are all ok but don't loop so you have a pause while you wait for it to restart which therefore completely defeats the purpose. The video is pretty good I suppose but it's of no use when the thing is constantly losing its feed or dying. The talk back feature is probably ok but we don't really use it.

I wish I had just bought another First Years monitor like I'd had for our first daughter. It lasted six years perfectly before dying. We've had this Oricom piece of crap for nine months.

Purchased in October 2018 at Baby Bunting Physical store for $200.00.

Battery Life
Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and for this one, we would recommend that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to discuss the above with you and will work to provide you with a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Very disappointing

This is my second oricom monitor and after upgrading to the best model they have I am again disappointed that I have purchased another one of Oricom’s monitors (sadly I was swayed by the sales person who said this one would be better). My issue is that the picture quality is so poor in night mode that I’m surprised it is called digital. It may have 3 x zoom but you can see nothing clearly after one zoom anyway. For the price, these monitors are beyond disappointing - shop around for a monitor that has a quality view and actual useful features.

Purchased in June 2019 at Baby Bunting for $300.00.

Battery Life
Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and would the opportunity to discuss all of the above with you. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST. We appreciate the feedback and we are always looking to improve our products, so your feedback will be passed onto the Product Development team. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Great baby monitor with plenty of additional extras

A great baby monitor that gives you plenty of extras like starry lights, feeding alarms, crying alarms and lullabies. Any issues with the monitor Oricom are more than happy to help out.

Purchased in January 2018 at Toys R Us / Babies R Us for $350.00.

Battery Life
Hi Amy, thanks for the message. We thank you for taking the time to review the product and we are glad to hear of your experience with the product. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

A fantastic monitor & love its features

I love this monitor but after 2 years I am now finding issues. I am unable to calibrate the temperature more that 2 degrees however this is still 2 degrees higher than what the actual room temp is which is annoying especially nows it’s getting cold. I’ve also have a battery issue which I rang Oricom about as it is suppose to have a 3 year warranty however I was told this doesn’t apply to the battery which I now need to pay for a new battery. Not impressed considering the price I paid for the monitor. I now can’t unplug my monitor & take it around the house with me as as soon as I unplug it, it turns off & resets

Purchased in May 2017.

Battery Life
Hi Kellie, thanks for the message. Regarding the issues you are experiencing above, could you please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist you in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Amazing product with Customer service to back it

Although I have been faced with a couple of hiccups with long term use of this product, the representatives have been more then forthcoming to replace my devices.

Gifted to me, money was definitely not wasted as I have found no other monitor setup that can provide me with these specifications. I will continue to recommend these to anyone that asks as even my boys enjoy all the features they have to offer.

The only thing I will fault and yet to examine in the coming months with the replacements, is the starry night light does not last very long. Changes from a crystal clear picture of stars and moon on a black background and eventually fades into a blue background with white stars. Again they have done a 20/10 job at replacing them when this happens.

Purchased in April 2018.

Battery Life
Hi there, thanks for the message. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback, and we wish you all the best with your future use. Oricom Baby Care.

Excellent customer service

Had some difficulties with the camera and Oricom customer service were incredibly helpful and sent out a replacement camera under warranty immediately following notification of the problem. Very satisfied with the service and support.

Purchased in January 2016 at Baby Bunting.

Battery Life
Hi Laura, thanks for the message. Thanks for the feedback and we appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experience. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.