Oricom UHF5500

Oricom UHF5500

1 Handset, 2 Handset

PattoVictoria

Battery goes from full charge to dead within an hour

Bought this unit last year from a reputable auto parts outlet as a back up and for spotting when out 4wding.
When first opened, the unit appeared very strong and sturdy.
The battery on the one occasion it was used only lasted for 1.5hrs standby with occasional use.
At that time I put it away with the intention of contacting Oricom, unfortunately it never happened till now, whilst checking my equipment for this seasons start.
Charged it today, (second time it's been charged), the battery lasted just over 1hr, this is quite disgusting and useless to me.
It was bought with the understanding Oricom was a reputable make.
All I asked was a unit that would do what it was intended for.
Very disappointed:-(

Purchased in April 2019 at Repco Physical store.

Patto

Thank you, tried to ring this number, was placed on hold for 10 mins, then asked to leave a message with contact details.
I am now awaiting a call back.

Patto

Have rung the support again, they are sending a new battery.
assuming this happens and it works as it should.
Thank you.

turbotrana

turbotranaPerth, WA

Environmentally not acceptable, have to throw it in the bin.

Purchased in January 2016 at Dick Smith for $250.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the review. We appreciate the feedback, and would like to discuss this with you. Please give our locally based team a call on 02 4574 8888 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom.

brett

brettIllawarra, NSW

Excellent value

I had a problem with my charging cradle and the lady in the office could not have been more helpful. No arguing etc they just replaced the whole lot. Great company to deal with.
Brett

Purchased in February 2019 at 4WD Supacentre Physical store for $250.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Brett, we are glad to hear of your experience with Oricom Support. All the best, Oricom.

Bill B.

Bill B.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great Radio !!! Has All The Bells & Whistles !!!

John from Oricom Australia Customer Support, was very helpful with my speaker problem.
They sent a new unit with a prepaid satchel for the return of the faulty unit.
Absolutely excellent service !!! Highly recommended !!!
Very happy !!!
Bob

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Bob, thanks for the review. We appreciate the review and wish you all the best with your future use. All the best, Oricom.

Peter A

Peter ANew South Wales

Failed Batteries

Unit is just over 1 year old and has failed twice with new batteries installed during that year. It’s mounted on dash with magnetic holder. Would the magnet be harming the battery? It doesn’t seem to bother my mobile phone battery.

Purchased in March 2018.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Peter, thanks for the message. Please give us a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, and the team can address this with you. All the best, Oricom.

Keith

KeithGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Good basic UHF handheld

Our UHF5500 was purchased in June 2015 and used maybe six times as a back up safety item - still as new.
Open scanning became intermittent and then stopped scrolling, when tested for our next outback adventure.
Contacted Oricom who were very obliging, and provided exemplary assistance and a solution to the problem.
It is gratifying in this day and age to have a supplier provide such supportive back up. Well done to Oricom and their team.

Date PurchasedJune 2015
Technical SupportOricom

Hi Keith, thanks for the message. We appreciate the review and you taking the time to let others know of your experience. All the best, Oricom.

Sarah

SarahHobart

Perfect for our adventures

the handheld radio has been perfect for spotting while on solo 4wd adventures or while in convoy. We loved our handheld so much we installed an Oricom uhf into our Pajero too. We spend a lot of time on the road so it’s been great having reliable products. Will definitely be adding another handheld to our collection soon!

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Technical SupportOricom

Hi Sarah, thanks for the review and we are glad to hear of your experience with an Oricom Handheld UHF. Wishing you all the best with your future use. Oricom

Penny

PennyWoodford

The right tool for the job

Been using the ORICOM UHF models over the last two years keeping our convoy informed. Hand held units on the quad bikes and dual receive units in our 4x4’s. A must for the off road traveller. Shaken, rattled and rolled across Australia. A vital tool we rely on daily. Reliable.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Penny, thanks for the message and for the review of your Oricom radio use. We appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experience. Thanks and all the best, Oricom.

Tom

TomSydney

Great 5 Watt UHF

Totally satisfied with this purchase. Was looking for a tough handheld unit to compliment the fixed mount unit installed in the car, and this radio has done the job. It feels like quality with its metal chassis and I haven't experienced any issues with the unit as yet.

Will absolutely be recommending to friends out there as there are many lemons out in the market, and this certainly is not one of them.

Fantastic! 5 Stars.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Technical SupportOricom

Hi Tom, thanks for the review and for letting others know of your experience with the UHF5500. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Works perfectly - Oricom support was very good

Bought 1 of these from a retail shop more than 12 months back. Didn't have good sound clarity - squelch issue. Contacted Oricom support & they issued an RA that day.
Sent the unit to them in Sydney. A little over a week later, received a brand new unit.
Gave it a good workout in the Imbil State Forest in a 4wd convoy over the Australia Day weekend. Excellent sound clarity. Very happy with this unit.
Charged it before we left, spent most of the 3 days on tracks using it. Still showed plenty of charge left.
Customer support was easy to deal with being polite & understanding.
Happy to recommend their product & support services.

Date PurchasedSept 2016
Technical SupportOricom

Hi Daryl, thanks for the message. We are glad to hear that you had a positive experience and have enjoyed the use of your UHF5500 recently. All the best, Oricom

UHF 5500 keeps turning off

Hello I brought two of these units brand new in the box which where both opened last week
One radio works spot on and the other keeps turning off as soon as you power it up
I tried to swap batteries and both units work so it's not the unit it's the battery
What is weird is that if you hold the Tx button on whilst you power up it will stay on but this causes the unit to cycle through its test or icon screen
If you try to power off and turn it back on so you can use it it will turn off immediately

Regards
Michael

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Tech SupportOricom

Hello Michael, we are sorry to hear you have a faulty battery on your UHF5500. Please give our support team a call on 1300 889 785 and they will arrange to send you a new battery. All the best Oricom UHF CB

Michael S
Michael S

Hello I'm currently overseas not due back until 19th May Would this still be ok to claim for warranty.
Ps I tried to call 1300 number but doesn't work from bali.

Tech SupportOricom

Hi Michael, enjoy your trip to Bali! GIve us a call when you return on the 19th May. Thanks.

Beware clones are everywhere

Tech SupportOricom

Thank you for your review on the UHF5500. We are not aware of any cloning of our radios. Please email us your contact information at marketing@oricom.com.au and we will get someone to contact you as soon as possible. Oricom UHF CB.

Extremely Bad Sound!!! Do Not Buy!!!!

I have been using the above model for traffic control in fairly noisy environments and I can tell you now it is dismal on worksites.

Not to mention the mouthpiece attachment only has a tiny little sound eminating from it. I even got 2 as I thought it was faulty.

Absolutely crap inbuilt speaker...I will be taking them to fair trading for my money back....Don't buy any oricom, trust me.

Tech SupportOricom

We are sorry to hear of your experience with your UHF5500 radios. We would like the opportunity to investigate the issues, can you please contact our support team directly on 1300 889 785. Thanks Oricom UHF CB Radios.

vgpacer70

vgpacer70Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Used twice now doesn't work

Hi as title says we have used this i think 2 times as a backup. I also have a GME hand held. Well getting ready for our trip today both HH are charged up but Oricom turns on but doesn't seem to Rx or TX. Tried factory reset - no change.
I have tried Oricom to GME and vice versa. I can go through channels on GME and hear other people on the air but nothing on 5500 so looks like its kaput, disappointing as only been used twice. Purchased about 2 years ago so maybe still in warranty but no time to get put in for repair. Now need to rush out and buy a new unit as we need a HH for the extra car.

Date PurchasedJune 2015
Nick

NickSydney

Not happy

Used it for 3 days. Range was terrible be lucky to get 200 metres. Then battery died and plugged the charger to the car and the 12volt lead decided to call it quits.
Proceeded to go to the office and charge through the wall socket and being on charge for 6 hrs and the radio doesn't turn on.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Hi Nick,
This is highly unusual! Of course you would expect much better performance from your radio. We have a Customer Support Team available on 1300 889 785, please call us so we can get this sorted for you asap.
Kind regards, Oricom UHF Cb Radio

Find out how Oricom UHF5500 compares to other UHF & VHF Radios

Never buying one of these models again!!!

I've had 2 brand new Oricom UHF5500's from sealed boxs I returned within the month. First one I took home completely faulty. Second one out of a brand new and sealed box, ch 40 is dead.
ch39 is fine. I can hear and tx. Not so ch40. I cannot hear or talk to any one on ch40. This is out of the box and brand new.
My el-cheapo $30 one is way better at sound quality. it is only 1watt but 2 out of 2 faulty is just wrong. Sorry I will never use Oricom again. I give it a rating of minus 5. The store I bought it from were fantastic. Even they were suprised.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Tech SupportOricom

Hi Fred, we are sorry to hear of your experience with our UHF5500 radio. We would like the opportunity to investigate the issues, can you please contact our support team directly on 1300 889 785. Thanks Oricom UHF CB Radios.

Great way to communicate

My son loves his new way to talk to us while he has been stuck in the hospital for his cancer treatment. They work well between the hospital and the Ronald McDonald house. It allows us to keep in touch. They are very user friendly, light and compact. Thank you oricom

Date PurchasedSept 2016

Fantastic product

Very robust radioes. We have purchased 8 in the last 2 years. All other brands in the past get crackly and don't last. Radioes are very clear to talk on. Have a min 2ks talk radius, back up service is the best I have had in 30 years. Great product

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Never properly working

Hardly used in 3 years as it was a spare backup for emergencies, unit plays up a few weeks out of 3 year warranty. Most likely not worth the effort and cost to repair. I presume with constant use it wouldn't of lasted as long as it did. Cheers .

Date PurchasedMay 2013
Tech SupportOricom

Hi Hunter316, It may still be worth contacting us. Your reference number is HL68067. Our Customer Support Team will do all they can to see if they can assist you with the issue you are having.

author57

author57Sydney, NSW

Solid unit and great value for money