Oricom UHF5500

Oricom UHF5500

1 Handset and 2 Handset

Good basic UHF handheld

Our UHF5500 was purchased in June 2015 and used maybe six times as a back up safety item - still as new.
Open scanning became intermittent and then stopped scrolling, when tested for our next outback adventure.
Contacted Oricom who were very obliging, and provided exemplary assistance and a solution to the problem.
It is gratifying in this day and age to have a supplier provide such supportive back up. Well done to Oricom and their team.

Date PurchasedJun 2015
Hi Keith, thanks for the message. We appreciate the review and you taking the time to let others know of your experience. All the best, Oricom.

Perfect for our adventures

the handheld radio has been perfect for spotting while on solo 4wd adventures or while in convoy. We loved our handheld so much we installed an Oricom uhf into our Pajero too. We spend a lot of time on the road so it’s been great having reliable products. Will definitely be adding another handheld to our collection soon!

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Sarah, thanks for the review and we are glad to hear of your experience with an Oricom Handheld UHF. Wishing you all the best with your future use. Oricom

The right tool for the job

Been using the ORICOM UHF models over the last two years keeping our convoy informed. Hand held units on the quad bikes and dual receive units in our 4x4’s. A must for the off road traveller. Shaken, rattled and rolled across Australia. A vital tool we rely on daily. Reliable.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Hi Penny, thanks for the message and for the review of your Oricom radio use. We appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experience. Thanks and all the best, Oricom.

Great 5 Watt UHF

Totally satisfied with this purchase. Was looking for a tough handheld unit to compliment the fixed mount unit installed in the car, and this radio has done the job. It feels like quality with its metal chassis and I haven't experienced any issues with the unit as yet.

Will absolutely be recommending to friends out there as there are many lemons out in the market, and this certainly is not one of them.

Fantastic! 5 Stars.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Hi Tom, thanks for the review and for letting others know of your experience with the UHF5500. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Works perfectly - Oricom support was very good

Bought 1 of these from a retail shop more than 12 months back. Didn't have good sound clarity - squelch issue. Contacted Oricom support & they issued an RA that day.
Sent the unit to them in Sydney. A little over a week later, received a brand new unit.
Gave it a good workout in the Imbil State Forest in a 4wd convoy over the Australia Day weekend. Excellent sound clarity. Very happy with this unit.
Charged it before we left, spent most of the 3 days on tracks using it. Still showed plenty of charge left.
Customer support was easy to deal with being polite & understanding.
Happy to recommend their product & support services.

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Hi Daryl, thanks for the message. We are glad to hear that you had a positive experience and have enjoyed the use of your UHF5500 recently. All the best, Oricom

UHF 5500 keeps turning off

Hello I brought two of these units brand new in the box which where both opened last week
One radio works spot on and the other keeps turning off as soon as you power it up
I tried to swap batteries and both units work so it's not the unit it's the battery
What is weird is that if you hold the Tx button on whilst you power up it will stay on but this causes the unit to cycle through its test or icon screen
If you try to power off and turn it back on so you can use it it will turn off immediately

Regards
Michael

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hello Michael, we are sorry to hear you have a faulty battery on your UHF5500. Please give our support team a call on 1300 889 785 and they will arrange to send you a new battery. All the best Oricom UHF CBHello I'm currently overseas not due back until 19th May Would this still be ok to claim for warranty. Ps I tried to call 1300 number but doesn't work from bali.Hi Michael, enjoy your trip to Bali! GIve us a call when you return on the 19th May. Thanks.

Beware clones are everywhere

I will personally never buy a oricom product again until they sort there clone issues out most of oricoms products today are fake & do not work some of these products have even ended up in stores but most are on eBay the time & money i spent trying to transmit on my uhf5500 sent me crazy even the car antenna kit was fake I've since then had the radio looked at by professionals everything seems to be cloned nicely they also had 7 more at the shop i went to with the same issues & believe it or not all serial numbers on all 7 radios including mine were identical i spent hundreds on different antennas including paying a shop to look at mine I'll never buy a single oricom product until they sort this problem out so far Australia is flooded with id say at least around 1 thousand fakes maybe more if it's from eBay & says oricom it's 100% fake. Please oricom sort this problem out before things get way out of hand. I'm now using a gme with no issues at all.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Thank you for your review on the UHF5500. We are not aware of any cloning of our radios. Please email us your contact information at marketing@oricom.com.au and we will get someone to contact you as soon as possible. Oricom UHF CB.

Extremely Bad Sound!!! Do Not Buy!!!!

I have been using the above model for traffic control in fairly noisy environments and I can tell you now it is dismal on worksites.

Not to mention the mouthpiece attachment only has a tiny little sound eminating from it. I even got 2 as I thought it was faulty.

Absolutely crap inbuilt speaker...I will be taking them to fair trading for my money back....Don't buy any oricom, trust me.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
We are sorry to hear of your experience with your UHF5500 radios. We would like the opportunity to investigate the issues, can you please contact our support team directly on 1300 889 785. Thanks Oricom UHF CB Radios.

Used twice now doesn't work

Hi as title says we have used this i think 2 times as a backup. I also have a GME hand held. Well getting ready for our trip today both HH are charged up but Oricom turns on but doesn't seem to Rx or TX. Tried factory reset - no change.
I have tried Oricom to GME and vice versa. I can go through channels on GME and hear other people on the air but nothing on 5500 so looks like its kaput, disappointing as only been used twice. Purchased about 2 years ago so maybe still in warranty but no time to get put in for repair. Now need to rush out and buy a new unit as we need a HH for the extra car.

Date PurchasedJun 2015
Hi vgpacer70, We are sorry to hear you are in this predicament. Please call us on 1300 889 785 so we can see how we can best help you out. Kind regards, Oricom UHF CB Radios

Not happy

Used it for 3 days. Range was terrible be lucky to get 200 metres. Then battery died and plugged the charger to the car and the 12volt lead decided to call it quits.
Proceeded to go to the office and charge through the wall socket and being on charge for 6 hrs and the radio doesn't turn on.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Nick, This is highly unusual! Of course you would expect much better performance from your radio. We have a Customer Support Team available on 1300 889 785, please call us so we can get this sorted for you asap. Kind regards, Oricom UHF Cb Radio

Never buying one of these models again!!!

I've had 2 brand new Oricom UHF5500's from sealed boxs I returned within the month. First one I took home completely faulty. Second one out of a brand new and sealed box, ch 40 is dead.
ch39 is fine. I can hear and tx. Not so ch40. I cannot hear or talk to any one on ch40. This is out of the box and brand new.
My el-cheapo $30 one is way better at sound quality. it is only 1watt but 2 out of 2 faulty is just wrong. Sorry I will never use Oricom again. I give it a rating of minus 5. The store I bought it from were fantastic. Even they were suprised.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi Fred, we are sorry to hear of your experience with our UHF5500 radio. We would like the opportunity to investigate the issues, can you please contact our support team directly on 1300 889 785. Thanks Oricom UHF CB Radios.

Great way to communicate

My son loves his new way to talk to us while he has been stuck in the hospital for his cancer treatment. They work well between the hospital and the Ronald McDonald house. It allows us to keep in touch. They are very user friendly, light and compact. Thank you oricom

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Fantastic product

Very robust radioes. We have purchased 8 in the last 2 years. All other brands in the past get crackly and don't last. Radioes are very clear to talk on. Have a min 2ks talk radius, back up service is the best I have had in 30 years. Great product

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Never properly working

Hardly used in 3 years as it was a spare backup for emergencies, unit plays up a few weeks out of 3 year warranty. Most likely not worth the effort and cost to repair. I presume with constant use it wouldn't of lasted as long as it did. Cheers .

Date PurchasedMay 2013
Hi Hunter, You should not have a worry with this product and the warranty covers youi in the case that you do. If you are still experiencing issues please contact us so we can provide support or a replacement: Ph. 1300 889 785 or suppport@oricom.com.au Best regards, Oricom UHF CB RadiosIt is now out of warranty period by a few months. It was hardly used so my disappoints and frustrations are when I needed it to contact my friend that injured himself in the bush . Yes i know how to use it and performed factory reset to no prevail. ThanksHi Hunter316, It may still be worth contacting us. Your reference number is HL68067. Our Customer Support Team will do all they can to see if they can assist you with the issue you are having.

Solid unit and great value for money

I bought this little hand held CB as I intend to travel by road quite a bit in future. I had not researched CB's and knew little about them but felt that it would come in handy.
Being a novice, I found that the instruction manual was a little light on in detail and it appeared to assume quite a bit of knowledge so my first experience was a tad frustrating. I decided not to be defeated so re-read the manual with the unit in front of me and whenever I came across a word or term that I didn't understand, I Googled it. Using this method of self-instruction, I mastered the 5500 in a couple of hours.
I have road tested the CB and cannot fault it. It does exactly what is says it will do and it is easy to flip through the various functions and scan modes. My only complaint is that I reckon that the screen could do to be a bit bigger.
I've now ordered an FME adaptor so I can connect the CB to an external vehicle aerial and at some time, I'll install an external speaker in the vehicle for a bigger sound (not that it really needs it).
This unit is also splash proof which is a great feature.
I'd recommend this unit if you are looking for an inexpensive yet reliable hand held UHF CB radio. I can't see that there would be any advantage in spending more. Oricom are a local company who appear to be pretty easy to contact should that need to happen.

UHF 5500 works well

Last month, I bought a pair of UHF 5500 handhelds, used them during our trip down south WA and they work perfectly well...although they're small in size really compact, compared to other hand helds, the 5 watt power output still provided excellent reception especially on distances. So far my experience with this model is good. Can't complain this time, and still trying to assess how's the lifespan of the batteries.

good so far

I have had this unit for a couple of weeks now and i tested it with another brand of radio and it worked fine on 1watt at 500m apart in a built up area i was in my car and the other was inside a house and we could hear each other clearly ,more tests coming .
value for money ,high capacity battery,compact design,made in korea.
viewing angle ,small screen,cant upgrade antenna.

Hello I have a oricom hand held walkie talks I need a michrophone for it ,it is uhf5500 do u have any ??
Hi there, thanks for the message. For this, we would suggest looking at the accessories tab on the UHF5500 on the Oricom website. Link provided below. All the best, Oricom. https://oricom.com.au/product/uhf5500-1-5-watt-handheld-uhf-cb-radio/ https://oricom.com.au/product/spkmic5000-uhf5500-speaker-mic/

Hello have a uhf5500 and when using sometimes once pushing in the PTT button it will beep and change to channel 80 from channel 8 and won't let any of the buttons work until the unit is switch off and back on it will go back to channel 8 and work fine for a short period. Any ideas?
Hi Dale, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear what is happening and would love to assist with this. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

What is the range?
Range wise being they are a 5watt unit, they equaled the same range as the in cab units. Depending on the terrain you are in at the time 3-5kms was not uncommon. Longer on open country.Hi Poida, thanks for the message. Penny is correct in that the UHF5500 is the full 5 Watts. The terrain you are using the handheld will dictate the range, so remember elevation is key to maximise range. Check out the ANU025C on the link below as a swap out mag mount antenna to mount on the roof of your vehicle to maximise the range. If you would like to discuss, please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care. https://oricom.com.au/product/anu025c-1dbi-magnetic-roof-mount-antenna-fme-pl259-uhf-connector-sma-fme-adaptor/

UHF5500 1 HandsetUHF5500 2 Handset