Oricom UHF5500 1 Handset

Oricom UHF5500 1 Handset Questions & Answers

13 questions from our users

Belinda R.

Belinda R.asked

My uhf 5500 has a static noise all the time. I have turned the squelch up and down but still stays the same. I also replaced the antenna but still have the static noise. Also done a reset. What else could I try?

Oricom I.Oricom

Hi Belinda, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and for this one, we would recommend that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST and the team will be able to assist you in this. All the best, Oricom.

Dale

Daleasked

Hello have a uhf5500 and when using sometimes once pushing in the PTT button it will beep and change to channel 80 from channel 8 and won't let any of the buttons work until the unit is switch off and back on it will go back to channel 8 and work fine for a short period. Any ideas?

Oricom I.Oricom

Hi Dale, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear what is happening and would love to assist with this. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Poida

Poidaasked

What is the range?

Penny
Penny

Range wise being they are a 5watt unit, they equaled the same range as the in cab units. Depending on the terrain you are in at the time 3-5kms was not uncommon. Longer on open country.

Oricom I.Oricom

Hi Poida, thanks for the message. Penny is correct in that the UHF5500 is the full 5 Watts. The terrain you are using the handheld will dictate the range, so remember elevation is key to maximise range. Check out the ANU025C on the link below as a swap out mag mount antenna to mount on the roof of your vehicle to maximise the range. If you would like to discuss, please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Rebirthcarver

Rebirthcarverasked

I have a UHF5500. Within a short time of purchase, the recharge unit failed. I bought another. The 2nd showed that the fault was the plug pack. Now the operable plug pack and unit only shows a green light and will not charge at all. Any clues why this should be so? My cheap Chinese unit works fine and leaves it in the shade. Ric.

Oricom I.Oricom

Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear what is happening and assure you that this is out of the ordinary. For this one, please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist in troubleshooting the issue and will work to provide you with a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Bilbo

Bilboasked

Setting for oricom uhf5500 model bp7418 to transmit and receive?

Marlene S.Oricom

Hi, We would suggest you contact our support team on 1300 889 785 or (02) 4574 8888 and they will be able to assist you. Oricom UHF CB

Terry

Terryasked

I’ve a 5500 and all of a sudden it’s not making any sound. The green receive light works but you can’t hear any noise. I’ve checked the manual but can’t identify any settings that might have been changed by a user? Thanks Terry

Oricom I.Oricom

Hi Terry, thanks for getting in touch. For this one, we would recommend that you give Oricom Customer Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as they will be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue for you. Thanks and all the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Kirsty

Kirstyasked

Hi guys just wondering is the backlight ment to stay on all the time? I have a handheld 5500

Oricom I.Oricom

Hi Kirsty, thanks for the message. Sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your UHF5500. Regarding the back light,it should turn off after approx. 5 seconds. However, please note that the back light will stay on if the radio is picking up something on that channel. We would recommend that you do a factory reset and try a different channel with less noise/traffic (please note the radio can be picking up some type of signal that isn’t very audible in some instances, causing the back light to stay on). To do a factory reset – press and hold the “monitor” button while turning the radio on, reset will now appear on the screen. Finally navigate to CH12. Hope this helps. If you are still having issues with the unit, please give our Customer Support a call on 1300 889 785. All the best, Oricom.

John C
John C

I have just bought my first Oricom product, two UHF5500s. I've previously always had Uniden. The back light stays on on both hand sets, I need to go through the menu cycle and then after 5 seconds it turns off. I am not happy with this as they did this straight out of the box and always stay on.

2way

2wayasked

Can I connect any external vehicle uhf antenna to the UHF5500 handheld?

Hi 2way,
Yes, this is possible using an SMA to FME connector.
Best regards, Oricom Baby Care

Joe

Joeasked

What sort of battery life can you expect before they need to be replaced? How much does a replacement battery cost?

Marlene S.Oricom

Hi Joe, The UHF5500 is powered by a Lithium Ion battery, you can expect around 12 months from your battery, this will vary (+/-) depend on charging patterns and use. Replacement cost is $99. If you would like any help with this or have any further questions, please call us on 1300 889 785. Cheers, Oricom UHF CB Radios

Gazza Houlahan

Gazza Houlahanasked

my handheld 5500 is three months old and wont recieve,anywhere in perth i can take it or any ideas what it could be?

Hi Gazza,

Could be the settings you have it on, try a reset (page 25 of the user guide or as below) first to clear all user programmed settings and take you back to the factory standard. If that doesn't fix you up give us a call on 1300 889 785 (8am-6pm Sydney time) and we'll help you out. The user guide is also available online: http://www.oricom.com.au/media/upload/file/guides/UHF5500-1.pdf

Factory Reset
If the radio's display locks up or stops functioning properly, you might need to reset your UHF radio.
Caution : This procedure clears all the information you have stored in your UHF radio.
Before you reset your UHF radio, try turning it off and on again. If your UHF radio is still not functioning correctly you may need to reset the UHF radio.
To reset Press and Hold Monitor and power on. “Reset” will appear in the display. The radio will then return to standby mode.

Kind regards,
Oricom UHF CB Radios

cecilia

ceciliaasked

Has this got the Australian C-Tick compliance mark? In short, is it legal to use this equipment in Australia?

Marlene S.Oricom

Hi Cecilia,Yes, the UHF5500 is compliant for use in Australia and has the current correct compliance, RCM label. Best regards, Oricom UHF CB Radios

Picko

Pickoasked

Getting a carrier wave only on one of my uhf 5500 despite factory resets. It is out of warranty. What else can I do to fix it, or does it need to go off for repair?

Marlene S.Oricom

Hi Picko, All our hand-held UHF CB Radios have a three year warranty, you may be surprised your radio still falls within this. Regardless, please give our friendly Customer Support Team a call and we can help troubleshoot this with you. So we can help you faster, please quote your reference: HL58315 when you phone 1300 889 785. Cheers, Oricom UHF CB Radios.

shooterau

shooterauasked

Can you get a longer antenna for the UHF5500 UNIT without going external? Want a longer but still attached to 5500unit to hold in hand

Marlene S.Oricom

Good Morning, Thanks for your message. You can purchase a longer antenna for your UHF5500 radio, it uses a standard BNC connector which unfortunately we do not sell. We would suggest you try online.

Get an answer from our members and Oricom representatives