Oricom UHF5500

Oricom UHF5500 Questions & Answers

1 Handset and 2 Handset

28 questions from our users

Locking and unlocking is a pain, as I use 2 channels a lot, scrolling through a menu to lock the keypad takes too much time when I have to be fast, the unlock part never works so have to always reset the device. Only had it a week and now bought a uniden 5w again. The oricom a week old and will just use as a spare radio. The worst experience I’ve had with a radio, I guess it’s a cheap 5w radio and you get what you pay for.
Hi Don, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear that and would love to discuss this with you to work out a resolution with you. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Hello I have a oricom hand held walkie talks I need a michrophone for it ,it is uhf5500 do u have any ??
Hi there, thanks for the message. For this, we would suggest looking at the accessories tab on the UHF5500 on the Oricom website. Link provided below. All the best, Oricom. https://oricom.com.au/product/uhf5500-1-5-watt-handheld-uhf-cb-radio/ https://oricom.com.au/product/spkmic5000-uhf5500-speaker-mic/

Hello have a uhf5500 and when using sometimes once pushing in the PTT button it will beep and change to channel 80 from channel 8 and won't let any of the buttons work until the unit is switch off and back on it will go back to channel 8 and work fine for a short period. Any ideas?
Hi Dale, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear what is happening and would love to assist with this. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

I have a UHF5500. Within a short time of purchase, the recharge unit failed. I bought another. The 2nd showed that the fault was the plug pack. Now the operable plug pack and unit only shows a green light and will not charge at all. Any clues why this should be so? My cheap Chinese unit works fine and leaves it in the shade. Ric.
Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear what is happening and assure you that this is out of the ordinary. For this one, please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist in troubleshooting the issue and will work to provide you with a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Setting for oricom uhf5500 model bp7418 to transmit and receive?
Hi, We would suggest you contact our support team on 1300 889 785 or (02) 4574 8888 and they will be able to assist you. Oricom UHF CB

Just purchased a bundle of UHF5500 with the ANU1200, recommended by one of your state managers. My question is, is this an overkill or non-practical?
Hi there, thanks for the message. Glad to hear you have got your hands on some great Oricom products, and depending on the application, this is by no means an overkill. Some people prefer the handheld radios whereas others might go for a fixed mount radio. It really depends on where you are going and personal preference and the type of terrain you are travelling in. All the best, Oricom.

I’ve a 5500 and all of a sudden it’s not making any sound. The green receive light works but you can’t hear any noise. I’ve checked the manual but can’t identify any settings that might have been changed by a user? Thanks Terry
Hi Terry, thanks for getting in touch. For this one, we would recommend that you give Oricom Customer Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as they will be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue for you. Thanks and all the best, Oricom Baby Care.

I bought two and on one it is stuck displaying -80 and continuously displays menu options flashing on LCD. It will not transmit or receive even on ch 80. Is there a way I can fix this or is the unit faulty?
Hi there, thanks for the message. Sorry to hear of the issue you are currently experiencing with your UHF5500, and for this one, we recommend checking that no buttons are stuck down, and try a reset. To reset, press and hold Monitor and power on. “Reset” will appear in the display and the radio will then return to standby mode. If you continue to have an issue with your UHF5500 and believe the unit to be faulty, please call our dedicated Customer Support Team on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as they will be able to assist in working with you towards a solution. All the best, Oricom.

Could this be used for hilly forest terrain with sometimes no line of sight ?
Hi Ariel, thanks for the message. For this one, UHF CB handhelds work on line of sight because of the smaller size of the antenna. We would not recommend using the product in a hilly/forest terrain where there is minimal line of sight as you will experience issues communicating effectively, as smaller handhelds wont be efficient in this terrain. Thanks and all the best, Oricom.Thank you, would you recommend another solution?

I have a pmr 1200 hand held which came with my waeco as a pack. 1 is fine but the second one has static as it recieves all background sounds and unfoirtunately unless you use the subset it won't stop. Obviously not very good when you are using them vehicle to vehicle or using a vehicle to foot patrol scenario. Can they be factory reset somehow?
Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of the issue you have been having, but there is a way to factory reset. To do this: Turn off the radio. Press and hold menu button. Power radio on whilst still pressing menu button, as soon as radio is on release menu button. If reset is successful ch 12 will appear. We hope this helps, however if you are still having an issue, please contact our Customer Support Team on 1300 889 785 and they will be able to assist you over the phone. Thanks and all the best, Oricom.

Hi guys just wondering is the backlight ment to stay on all the time? I have a handheld 5500
Hi Kirsty, thanks for the message. Sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your UHF5500. Regarding the back light,it should turn off after approx. 5 seconds. However, please note that the back light will stay on if the radio is picking up something on that channel. We would recommend that you do a factory reset and try a different channel with less noise/traffic (please note the radio can be picking up some type of signal that isn’t very audible in some instances, causing the back light to stay on). To do a factory reset – press and hold the “monitor” button while turning the radio on, reset will now appear on the screen. Finally navigate to CH12. Hope this helps. If you are still having issues with the unit, please give our Customer Support a call on 1300 889 785. All the best, Oricom.I have just bought my first Oricom product, two UHF5500s. I've previously always had Uniden. The back light stays on on both hand sets, I need to go through the menu cycle and then after 5 seconds it turns off. I am not happy with this as they did this straight out of the box and always stay on.

I use a pair of PMR 1260s for my car back-up. Unfortunately one of the devices has RX constantly on the screen so it continuously puts out a loud static noise. Is there any way to do a reset on these, or do I just chuck it? Cheers, Chris.
Hi Chris, thanks for your message. I would suggest you contact our support team as there is not reset function on this model. This unit comes with a 3 year warranty so we can easily assist we getting you a radio that's operating correctly. All the best Oricom UHF CB.

G'day. What range can I expect for reliable line of sight communication between the two hand held units? Regards Peter
Hi Peter, The range of a UHF CB radio is: ‘The combined line of sight of both stations (antennas of the units)’ UHF radio signals travel in straight lines between the radios, anything between will attenuate the signals and in some case stop them altogether. In some cases, where changes are experienced in previously “good range”, this could be attributed to environmental changes around your immediate area such as vegetation growth or new buildings. The range is more of a question of what is between the stations. The attenuation of the signal in free air is very low, as moisture is added the attenuation becomes greater. Trees and other types of vegetation also contain water so a signal through a plantation or forest of trees will also be attenuated to some degree if not completely lost. Elevation improves the line of sight to the horizon it is also good if you are on the road and trying to communicate with another station a few vehicles in front of you, it may not be possible to talk between two handhelds but once you put an antenna outside and higher than the roof of the car communications might be possible, just a little elevation can make a big difference. If there is nothing between you and the other station the limiting factor is the horizon at about 1.5m above ground level and looking at the same point on the horizon the best range possible would be approximately 10km (5km for each station) Receive sensitivity is as important as RF power for range if there is a lot of RF noise or other transmitters close to the receiver it could be desensitised by these stronger signals and give the impression of poor range or poor receiver sensitivity. If you would like to know more, or to speak with one of our Customer Support techies, please call us on 1300 889 785. Kind regards, Oricom UHF CB Radios

Power saving tips uhf550
Hi, The only power saving suggestions we can provide on the UHF5500 would be to try changing the wattage down to 1 watt if you are in a close range of the other units, This will help to save power. This is on page 19 and 20 of the user’s guide.it is the TX high / low option.I hope this helps. If you require more detailed information please give our support team a call on 1300 889 785 or (02) 4574 8888. Oricom UHF CB.

I have two 5500's but they don't seem to want to transmit. I have tried both wattage but nothing, I can receive messages from other radios. Any help?
Hi Bill, It's hopefully just a setting you have inadvertently activated. Try a factory re-set and failing that, give our Customer Support Team a call on 1300 889 785. To reset Press and Hold Monitor and power on. “Reset” will appear in the display. The radio will then return to standby mode. Caution : This procedure clears all the information you have stored in your UHF radio. Best regards, Oricom UHF CB RadiosI'm having the same problem I've tried everything even reset it to factory settings & brought a much bigger antenna it won't transmit i can hear operators loud & clear but they can't hear me even on duplex mode they still can't hear me. Now beware these radios normally go for around $200 mark but there are clones getting around being sold on eBay from $69 to $100 brand new i believe i have a clone they copied almost everything except on the box where it says 5 watt UHF CB Radio the cone has a big space after the i to the o in radio. So on the side of the box is 5 watt UHF Cb radi o that's how it looks with the big space in radio i believe these to be fakes & that's the only way to tell they are all over eBay so it's hard to tell what your buying unless it comes from a actual communication store but after my experience with oricom i will never buy a product from them again beware of there car to handheld radio antennas for sale $69 kit they are 100% fake my standard handheld antenna works better on my old 40 ch uniden.

Can I connect any external vehicle uhf antenna to the UHF5500 handheld?
Hi 2way, Yes, this is possible using an SMA to FME connector. Best regards, Oricom Baby Care

I'm a bit disappointed that the batteries of my oricom uhf 5500 only supposedly to last about 12 months, shouldn't good quality lithium ion batteries last a lot longer than that or is that the expected life span of heavy daily usage...? What is the best most effective way to maximise battery life of the uhf 5500 in regards to charge status...? Regards Rene
Hi Rene, As a battery is used it will wear out and will not be able to hold a full charge. The life time of a rechargeable battery is given as a number of charge and discharges until the battery is at 80% of its new capacity, depending on the battery this can be a number like 300 for an average quality battery 500 for a good battery and 1000 for a really good (and expensive) battery. When a fully charged battery is only holding 80% of its rated capacity it is time to replace the battery with a new one as it is near the end of it useful life (it is worth noting that if you charge a battery every day for 2 years most will have reached and passed their expected useful life time). Battery Care: How you look after your batteries will have some effect on their life. It is very important to follow the recommendations that may be provided with the product. In general LiPo batteries do not require full charge or discharging and can be left on the charger indefinably. They do like to be used a little and then recharged but do not like being fully discharged or left in a fully discharged or fully charged state for a long period of time, it is recommended to store them at about 40% charge state in a cool dry location. Best regards, Oricom UHF CB Radios

What sort of battery life can you expect before they need to be replaced? How much does a replacement battery cost?
Hi Joe, The UHF5500 is powered by a Lithium Ion battery, you can expect around 12 months from your battery, this will vary (+/-) depend on charging patterns and use. Replacement cost is $99. If you would like any help with this or have any further questions, please call us on 1300 889 785. Cheers, Oricom UHF CB Radios

my handheld 5500 is three months old and wont recieve,anywhere in perth i can take it or any ideas what it could be?
Hi Gazza, Could be the settings you have it on, try a reset (page 25 of the user guide or as below) first to clear all user programmed settings and take you back to the factory standard. If that doesn't fix you up give us a call on 1300 889 785 (8am-6pm Sydney time) and we'll help you out. The user guide is also available online: http://www.oricom.com.au/media/upload/file/guides/UHF5500-1.pdf Factory Reset If the radio's display locks up or stops functioning properly, you might need to reset your UHF radio. Caution : This procedure clears all the information you have stored in your UHF radio. Before you reset your UHF radio, try turning it off and on again. If your UHF radio is still not functioning correctly you may need to reset the UHF radio. To reset Press and Hold Monitor and power on. “Reset” will appear in the display. The radio will then return to standby mode. Kind regards, Oricom UHF CB Radios

Get an answer from our members and Oricom representatives