Oricom UHF5500

33 questions from our users

Rick

Rickasked

UHF5500 1 Handset

dropped my hand held wont transmit

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Rick, please give us a call on 02 4574 8888 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, and the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom.

Bradley G.

Bradley G.asked

UHF5500

How do you unlock it so you can go up or down in ch

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Bradley, thanks for the message. Please find below the instructions to disabling the key lock function. If you have any further enquiries, please contact our locally based Oricom Support on 1300 8859 785 Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm AEST as the team will be able to assist. All the best Oricom.
To enable or disable the “Key lock” Function.
Turn radio off, while holding Menu button turn Radio on.

Myles

Mylesasked

UHF5500

Hi, I have a 5500, it will not switch on, when I put it on charge the light stays green, does this mean the battery is finished?

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Myles, thanks for the message. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call, and the team will be able to troubleshoot with you and work to provide you with a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Cole S.

Cole S.asked

What product do I need
Too hook up my car uhf areil too my hand help uhf

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Cole, thanks for the message. The product you are chasing is the ANU025C, and I have added a link below. All the best, Oricom.

Belinda R.

Belinda R.asked

UHF5500 1 Handset

My uhf 5500 has a static noise all the time. I have turned the squelch up and down but still stays the same. I also replaced the antenna but still have the static noise. Also done a reset. What else could I try?

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Belinda, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of your experience and for this one, we would recommend that you give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST and the team will be able to assist you in this. All the best, Oricom.

Don C.

Don C.asked

UHF5500

Locking and unlocking is a pain, as I use 2 channels a lot, scrolling through a menu to lock the keypad takes too much time when I have to be fast, the unlock part never works so have to always reset the device.

Only had it a week and now bought a uniden 5w again. The oricom a week old and will just use as a spare radio.

The worst experience I’ve had with a radio, I guess it’s a cheap 5w radio and you get what you pay for.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Don, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear that and would love to discuss this with you to work out a resolution with you. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Sjanie

Sjanieasked

UHF5500

Hello I have a oricom hand held walkie talks I need a michrophone for it ,it is uhf5500 do u have any ??

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the message. For this, we would suggest looking at the accessories tab on the UHF5500 on the Oricom website. Link provided below. All the best, Oricom.

Dale

Daleasked

UHF5500 1 Handset

Hello have a uhf5500 and when using sometimes once pushing in the PTT button it will beep and change to channel 80 from channel 8 and won't let any of the buttons work until the unit is switch off and back on it will go back to channel 8 and work fine for a short period. Any ideas?

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Dale, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear what is happening and would love to assist with this. Please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Poida

Poidaasked

What is the range?

Penny
Penny

Range wise being they are a 5watt unit, they equaled the same range as the in cab units. Depending on the terrain you are in at the time 3-5kms was not uncommon. Longer on open country.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Poida, thanks for the message. Penny is correct in that the UHF5500 is the full 5 Watts. The terrain you are using the handheld will dictate the range, so remember elevation is key to maximise range. Check out the ANU025C on the link below as a swap out mag mount antenna to mount on the roof of your vehicle to maximise the range. If you would like to discuss, please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist in this. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Rebirthcarver

Rebirthcarverasked

UHF5500 1 Handset

I have a UHF5500. Within a short time of purchase, the recharge unit failed. I bought another. The 2nd showed that the fault was the plug pack. Now the operable plug pack and unit only shows a green light and will not charge at all. Any clues why this should be so? My cheap Chinese unit works fine and leaves it in the shade. Ric.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear what is happening and assure you that this is out of the ordinary. For this one, please give our locally based Oricom Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist in troubleshooting the issue and will work to provide you with a solution. All the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Bilbo

Bilboasked

UHF5500 1 Handset

Setting for oricom uhf5500 model bp7418 to transmit and receive?

Tech SupportOricom

Hi, We would suggest you contact our support team on 1300 889 785 or (02) 4574 8888 and they will be able to assist you. Oricom UHF CB

Edawg

Edawgasked

UHF5500 2 Handset

Just purchased a bundle of UHF5500 with the ANU1200, recommended by one of your state managers.
My question is, is this an overkill or non-practical?

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the message. Glad to hear you have got your hands on some great Oricom products, and depending on the application, this is by no means an overkill. Some people prefer the handheld radios whereas others might go for a fixed mount radio. It really depends on where you are going and personal preference and the type of terrain you are travelling in. All the best, Oricom.

Terry

Terryasked

UHF5500 1 Handset

I’ve a 5500 and all of a sudden it’s not making any sound. The green receive light works but you can’t hear any noise. I’ve checked the manual but can’t identify any settings that might have been changed by a user? Thanks Terry

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Terry, thanks for getting in touch. For this one, we would recommend that you give Oricom Customer Support a call on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as they will be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue for you. Thanks and all the best, Oricom Baby Care.

Stubs

Stubsasked

UHF5500 2 Handset

I bought two and on one it is stuck displaying -80 and continuously displays menu options flashing on LCD. It will not transmit or receive even on ch 80. Is there a way I can fix this or is the unit faulty?

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the message. Sorry to hear of the issue you are currently experiencing with your UHF5500, and for this one, we recommend checking that no buttons are stuck down, and try a reset. To reset, press and hold Monitor and power on. “Reset” will appear in the display and the radio will then return to standby mode. If you continue to have an issue with your UHF5500 and believe the unit to be faulty, please call our dedicated Customer Support Team on 1300 889 785 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as they will be able to assist in working with you towards a solution. All the best, Oricom.

Arielasked

UHF5500 2 Handset

Could this be used for hilly forest terrain with sometimes no line of sight ?

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Ariel, thanks for the message. For this one, UHF CB handhelds work on line of sight because of the smaller size of the antenna. We would not recommend using the product in a hilly/forest terrain where there is minimal line of sight as you will experience issues communicating effectively, as smaller handhelds wont be efficient in this terrain. Thanks and all the best, Oricom.

Ariel

Thank you, would you recommend another solution?

Mbush831

Mbush831asked

UHF5500

I have a pmr 1200 hand held which came with my waeco as a pack. 1 is fine but the second one has static as it recieves all background sounds and unfoirtunately unless you use the subset it won't stop.

Obviously not very good when you are using them vehicle to vehicle or using a vehicle to foot patrol scenario.

Can they be factory reset somehow?

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the message. We are sorry to hear of the issue you have been having, but there is a way to factory reset.
To do this:

Turn off the radio.
Press and hold menu button.
Power radio on whilst still pressing menu button, as soon as radio is on release menu button.
If reset is successful ch 12 will appear.

We hope this helps, however if you are still having an issue, please contact our Customer Support Team on 1300 889 785 and they will be able to assist you over the phone. Thanks and all the best, Oricom.

Kirsty

Kirstyasked

UHF5500 1 Handset

Hi guys just wondering is the backlight ment to stay on all the time? I have a handheld 5500

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Kirsty, thanks for the message. Sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your UHF5500. Regarding the back light,it should turn off after approx. 5 seconds. However, please note that the back light will stay on if the radio is picking up something on that channel. We would recommend that you do a factory reset and try a different channel with less noise/traffic (please note the radio can be picking up some type of signal that isn’t very audible in some instances, causing the back light to stay on). To do a factory reset – press and hold the “monitor” button while turning the radio on, reset will now appear on the screen. Finally navigate to CH12. Hope this helps. If you are still having issues with the unit, please give our Customer Support a call on 1300 889 785. All the best, Oricom.

John C
John C

I have just bought my first Oricom product, two UHF5500s. I've previously always had Uniden. The back light stays on on both hand sets, I need to go through the menu cycle and then after 5 seconds it turns off. I am not happy with this as they did this straight out of the box and always stay on.

Griff

Griffasked

UHF5500

I use a pair of PMR 1260s for my car back-up. Unfortunately one of the devices has RX constantly on the screen so it continuously puts out a loud static noise. Is there any way to do a reset on these, or do I just chuck it?
Cheers, Chris.

Tech SupportOricom

Hi Chris, thanks for your message. I would suggest you contact our support team as there is not reset function on this model. This unit comes with a 3 year warranty so we can easily assist we getting you a radio that's operating correctly. All the best Oricom UHF CB.

Peter

Peterasked

UHF5500 2 Handset

G'day. What range can I expect for reliable line of sight communication between the two hand held units? Regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

The range of a UHF CB radio is: ‘The combined line of sight of both stations (antennas of the units)’

UHF radio signals travel in straight lines between the radios, anything between will attenuate the signals and in some case stop them altogether. In some cases, where changes are experienced in previously “good range”, this could be attributed to environmental changes around your immediate area such as vegetation growth or new buildings.

The range is more of a question of what is between the stations. The attenuation of the signal in free air is very low, as moisture is added the attenuation becomes greater. Trees and other types of vegetation also contain water so a signal through a plantation or forest of trees will also be attenuated to some degree if not completely lost.

Elevation improves the line of sight to the horizon it is also good if you are on the road and trying to communicate with another station a few vehicles in front of you, it may not be possible to talk between two handhelds but once you put an antenna outside and higher than the roof of the car communications might be possible, just a little elevation can make a big difference.

If there is nothing between you and the other station the limiting factor is the horizon at about 1.5m above ground level and looking at the same point on the horizon the best range possible would be approximately 10km (5km for each station)

Receive sensitivity is as important as RF power for range if there is a lot of RF noise or other transmitters close to the receiver it could be desensitised by these stronger signals and give the impression of poor range or poor receiver sensitivity.

If you would like to know more, or to speak with one of our Customer Support techies, please call us on 1300 889 785.

Kind regards, Oricom UHF CB Radios

Michael

Michaelasked

Power saving tips uhf550

Tech SupportOricom

Hi, The only power saving suggestions we can provide on the UHF5500 would be to try changing the wattage down to 1 watt if you are in a close range of the other units,
This will help to save power. This is on page 19 and 20 of the user’s guide.it is the TX high / low option.I hope this helps. If you require more detailed information please give our support team a call on 1300 889 785 or (02) 4574 8888. Oricom UHF CB.

Get an answer from our members and Oricom representatives